Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Miss Wilma, Janice, Miss Feb/Vi and Kentucky girls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Miss Wilma, Janice, Miss Feb/Vi and Kentucky girls Next Topic
Page: of 3

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  5:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey girlfriends,
Just checking in and seeing how you all are doing with that icy weather majorly happening in your neck of the woods. Give a shout out when you can.
Miss Wilma, take care of yourself and that back of yours.

Carol Sue

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  6:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey there Carol Sue. Our neck of the woods is pretty bad, but I'm sure that MissFeb's neck of the woods is worse. We had snow and about 2 inches of ice on top of it. All of the plants and trees are covered with ice in a wicked beautiful way. You can't even walk much in it. Lots of folks without power throughout the state but thankfully we have power here. We're just about 1/2 way through this ice/snow crap. Bleh. I'm so ready for spring!!! However, I have been able to catch up on a lot of stuff during this cabin fever. haha.

Jessica
Blog: http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Etsy: http://kyphotography.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cathy cobblestone
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

cathy
greensburg ky
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  8:45:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carol - well, I woke up to quite a bit of ice this morning but we missed the worst of it here. Fortunately, it has been raining here most of the day - a lot of rain. I forget exactly how it goes - but I think for every one inch of rain - it translates to around 10 inches of snow. So with over 2 inches of rain today we would have been snowed under had it fallen in that form.

They are calling for more ice and snow tonight - I hate it for those north of us - because they have been hit hard all day. So far our huge maple trees in the front of the house have survived - I hope they make it a lil' longer.

I just hope everyone is safe and warm tonight. Thanks for thinking of us all. Blessings to everyone, Cathy

www.cobblestonefarms.blogspot.com

Today is a gift, live it!
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  9:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Cathy! We started with sleet last night about 10. It let up somewhere in the wee hours of the morning and snowed for a short bit. BUt by 3 or 4 am it was back to very heavy sleet and freezing rain mix. it let up for a few hours and by 11 am it started raining again and has not let up. It is freezing as soon as it hits the ground. The tree limbs and power lines are saggin and I'm a prayin they all hold up. I hope everyone else is weathering this storm ok.

Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  10:47:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jessica, ice storms and snow. NOt fun at all, was watching the news earlier tonight, thus the reason for checkin on you girls. What winter storms we have been having this year.....

Stay safe Jessica, Cathy,and Melanie, will wait for the rest of the girls to check in.....hopefully they have power.....

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  04:27:42 AM  Show Profile
I saw Jim Cantore of the weather channel on the roads of Paducah Kentucky this morning, and hope that Miss Wilma is doing okay. I believe that is pretty near her neck of the woods. Keep safe everyone in the line of this ice storm!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  05:38:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Carol Sue (and everyone!) Just popping in...it's about 8:30 am here, and I'm trying to get myself geared up for a long day inside. Probably will make some bean soup in the crockpot, with some corn bread for supper. Glad to know that you're inside and hopefully safe and sound, Jess and Cathy.

We are iced and snowed in up in the northern part of the state, as Jess mentioned. The snow is coming down very rapidly right now, and is coating about a 2 inch thick piece of ice. But, my office is apparently still open???? In light of the way I fall, when there's NOT ice, I think I will stay inside. Besides, they'll send us home again, like yesterday, if the weather gets bad enough, and I don't want to take the chance on getting stuck far from home.

Thanks for thinking of us, Carol Sue--it's getting "loud" around here, with all the tree limbs crackling and snapping with the weight of the snow falling.

The birds are lovely, here, though, eating the grapefruit halves spread with peanut butter, cranberries and sunflower seeds I left for them last night. I've counted 5 pairs of cardinals!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  06:52:54 AM  Show Profile
We are just coming out of our 2 week cold snap. My poor chickens have suffered the most. a few of their combs are black from frostbite. I guess the heat lamp wasn't warm enough.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  07:25:38 AM  Show Profile
We have hunkered down as this cruddy weather won't stop. We have a lot of trees down around us and we're just waiting for the very huge one across the street to fall...it has a lot of branches fallen and it keeps swaying back and forth. One of my trees is laying on the neighbor's power line. A neighbor behind us had a tree to fall on their truck. It turned to freezing rain and then back to straight ice and now we are in the snow part that started about 9:30 AM. We got over an inch in less than an hour. A salt truck...make that a pickup with a plow came through the neighborhood right before it snowed and you can't even tell that he did anything now as the snow has been falling hard and fast.

I've got a few photos from yesterday on my blog but I'll update with some new ones. I was up all night pretty much with trees and limbs falling all around us. No fun at all. Our electric is now going on and off, so I've turned up the heat just in case it does go out. Our county is in a state of emergency with a lot of the main roads closed.

If any new developments, I'll let you guys know. I need to call Wilma and see how things are down there. Oh, Jeannie...Paducah is still quite a bit away from Wilma. They are getting it pretty bad. Several places here near me are without power and several cities have run out of water because the electric is out.

Jessica
Blog: http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Etsy: http://kyphotography.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  08:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Jessica, praying your power stays on and no trees fall on your house or cars!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Very snowy and wet here was a little icey yesterday but just alot of rain. I am waiting for my ride to work. I can't get off of my hill.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  1:09:27 PM  Show Profile
We are an icy mess here. It's beautiful to look at but it's caused quite a bit of trouble here. A lot of people are without power, including us. Our's went out yesterday at 5:00 and it's still off. My mom's nursing home is without power but they had emergency generators for lights and oxygen, but not heat. They sent mom to a hospital in Lexington this afternoon as she has pneumonia now. We have a boil water advisory in our county too.

I'm at my office, our boss let us off at noon but I wanted to stay until my husband picked me up because here we have lights, internet, and heat.

I hope everyone else is doing ok.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  2:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
Here in Southern in KY we got over 3 inches of rain last night. Today about 10:30 it started snowing really hard and dropped bout 2 inches really fast then it begin to melt some. They are giving cold temps tonight so I am guessing every thing will freeze over. It was very pretty today when it was snowing really hard but the roads were very dangerous. We dont get a lot of snow so I enjoyed seeing it. But really feel for those folks that got all the ice first. We may have some ice problems in the morning. Keep warm and safe.
Laura, miss you gurlfrend.

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com

Edited by - downbranchroad on Jan 28 2009 2:28:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  2:51:58 PM  Show Profile
don't forget to check on Jonni..she was supposed to be having a baby soon..she lives around the area that Miss Wilma does too...oh gosh I forget her screen name..but I'm sure you all know who I'm talking about. Stay safe.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  3:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
No power here in Louisville. At least 75,000 folks(including me) are in the dark and cold tonight. When the ice started two nights ago, it woke me up and it sounded like it was raining shards of glass. Just a nasty sound. We got tons more ice last night and then inches of snow on top of that. I think the power guy said 84 transformer fires on poles. No public school the rest of the week. It sounds like shotgun fire when trees break or big limbs crack off. Don't know about Irvington or the farm yet. I once had a box of Christmas cards by Mary Englebreit with a little girl on the front standing in snow and not looking excited about it. The sentiment read: 'Winter, Schminter!' And that's pretty much how I feel right about now!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Jan 28 2009 4:06:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  4:31:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh Janice, I'm soooo sorry about the power. I know how it feels, though, with the "hurricane" in September, we were out for a few days. It's awful, though. We have power, but lots of ice and couldn't get out because of our poor, lovely River Birch arched down over the driveway. I guess I couldn't have gone to work today even if we'd had it--they eventually called it off, so I got some much needed projects done around the house.

Hoping all the animals at David's shelter are alright, and that they have power.

I will be at the office tomorrow, please give me a yell if there's anything at all I can do!
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  7:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I wanted to check back in. Hope all you gals are still hangin in there and staying warm.
Last night was the worst kind of sleepless night. Trees cracking, limbs falling, transformers blowing. It looked like the fourth of July around here. I just sat and prayed nothin big hit the house and we made it to daybreak with power. We lost electric at about 4:30am. My ex called at 5:30 to see if I wanted him to come and get the kids. He has a wood stove and at least they would be warm. So he came down and they have spent the day with him and are still there tonight. Our pooch, Ruby, and I, hunkered down at home. I layered on the clothes and we cuddled up on the couch with three heavy blankets on us. My fiance called a few hours later to check on me. He lives (on a good day) 20 minutes from me, but he came down and got me and Ruby and took us back to his house for a good part of the day. When we left the house the temp inside was at 46 degrees. eewww. Power came back on about 3pm I think. But I'm home now and warm and I'm so tired I'm about to drop. I think I may have gotten 3 hours sleep last night if I was lucky.

Girls, please send up some good thoughts and prayers for my fiance and his family. Early this morning when the power went out his grandpa realized his oxygen wasn't putting anything out. He got out of bed to get his battery operated one out of the living room. They think he must have gotten dizzy and that caused him to fall and smack his head on a large wooden box. Granny found him about a half hour later. She called for help, but he didn't make it. I know the whole family will be lost without him, but especially granny.

Thank you,
Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  8:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh Melanie, I am so sorry for your loss.

I have to say girls, your weather sounds a might scary listening to it. I could just hear the cracking when you girls were talking about it.

No power majorly sucks. On the other side of the state where I lived most of my life, had lived through a few ice storms. You just don't forget the sound of them.

Glad you all are checking in. Now hope to hear from Miss Wilma, but knew she was challenged with her back. Just figure you will let us know Jess.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  08:08:41 AM  Show Profile
Oh Melanie, I am so very sorry to hear of your fiance's loss. How awful, and one of those truly, freak accidents. I'm praying for you all.

I just got to the office (Dr.'s appointment today early and totally uneventful) but then I got stuck on the side road to our office where we park and THAT was a mess. Had to call out the "big boys" in our office to come help rock the little Honda. Thankfully, noone really had to get by, cause I was SURE in the way. One man flipped me off and I shrugged my shoulders, turned sideways to show him my 37 week baby bump and returned the favor!!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  08:12:35 AM  Show Profile
Melannie - so sorry for the lost of your fiance's grandfather. I pray for his granny....how awful that must have been. So sorry.....

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

LynnDinKY
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  09:48:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey there girls. I'm popping in say that we are good. The front yard tree broke and landed on our roof. Thank God that it didn't go through and land on the children. Our basement flooded.... yes, it's ruined. We shall have to take everything out and gut it. But I'm okay with that.

I think God is teaching me how to be a farmgirl. LOL. We are staying warm and have the basement pumped out.
I even got to stack firewood from our front tree. I'm learning how to do things a little differently. Yes, the food from the fridge is on the back porch staying cold. I'm gonna empty my basement freezer and bring it over to mom's.

Yep, God is good. We are healthy, still have our home intact, soggy, but intact. I'm not worried.

Blessed be the name of the Lord. In good times and bad.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  10:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Just be careful, Vi. Take care of yourself. We're feeding Angel bird today. They have power here in New Albany. If Breck County gets power to the farm before Louisville, I'm going there. The trees in the city break my heart. It's hard to look at the landscape here.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  2:59:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls, we got power about an hour ago, but several counties around here are with out water, We had very little snow but lots of rain then ice, we didnt even have cell power, but its back since morning, We had coleman stoves and lanterns also wood stove in the basement, I was worried about our freezers but I covered them up with feather beds and old quilts. We got a new generator today but didnt have to use it at least I know when this happens again we will have backup.My son lives in Richmond and had no electric but have gone to my brothers, I was worried sick about the little one, He has gained a pound. My back is better I can set in a chair now . I just hope this therphy does the trick, My house is getting kinda messy but I guess it can wait awhile. Hope every one else is okay, I love you all Miss Wilma

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  3:38:11 PM  Show Profile
I will be thinking about you all in the Knob Lick Country Club! The snow is to move our way this Monday! The kids are excited, the best chance for snow here in a long time. Hopefully we will keep power! Miss, Wilma, I didn't know you hurt your back. I'll say a prayer for ya!
Love yas!!

Kelly
Farmgirl #238
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  3:55:19 PM  Show Profile
Miss Wilma, Glad to know you are okay to and that new little grandson and family are okay as well. You keep taking care of that back, sweet friend.

Janice, I am sure it makes you heart sick looking at all the damaged trees and I am sure there are so many.

Lynn, you have a great attitude about it all and that is what will get you through!!!!

Miss Vi, you be careful out there girlfriend!!!!!! We want you and baby to stay just fine. Thank goodness for big boys to help.

Yep, thinking of our Knob Lick Country Club girls....

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  4:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Janice you know you are welcome to come here, and Vi please be careful, We lost two of our cherry trees an apple tree and the pines are broken all to pcs

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Miss Wilma, Janice, Miss Feb/Vi and Kentucky girls Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page