Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 use your Christmas greens for smudge stick
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic use your Christmas greens for smudge stick Next Topic  

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  1:25:47 PM  Show Profile
What fun this was! Although I usually don't take down any Christmas decorations until "Old Christmas" (January 6th, the twelth day of Christmas), somehow the sunny 70 degree weather today motivated me to do a little early undecorating. I started with my main mantle and hated to just throw all those great cedar boughs in the compost pile. So, I did some looking in my collection of books. Found instructions to make cedar smudge sticks. According to this book, cedar has special purifying properties, especially psychospiritually. (Don't know exactly what that means, but it sounds like something I could use...) All you have to do is cut the still-green branches to 12" pieces. Then, arrange them in a bundle with all the tips facing the same way. Use embroidery floss to tie together. Start at the bottom and work up to the tips, then come back down forming crisscrosses. Tie at the bottom and let them dry before using. There were also instructions on how to use the smudge stick once it is dry. If anybody wants to hear about that, just let me know. Think I've got a new tradition on my hands.

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  5:46:44 PM  Show Profile
oh tell us more! tell us more! i have some sweet friends here in Green County that use them in Native American ceremonies!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  11:45:11 PM  Show Profile
If you put some sprigs of dried sage in with the cedar, it is so nice and relaxing.
When available , Grandfather sage is sooooo good. it is a wider leaf and smells better than some of the others.
Smudge the house to get rid of negative and bad spirits in your house.
it does the same for the body, gets rid of bad stuff.
you can find sage,etc in metaphysical shops and other places
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  11:50:24 PM  Show Profile
how to smudge
The way I learned is put the sage/cedar dried, into a aabalone shell, light it ,when it gets going take either your hands, or a big(like a turkey ) feather and bring the smoke up and over your head, and around your whole body. dont forget under the soles of your feet. :)
We always smudge before going into a medicine wheel and before ceremonys, or any time
shirley
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic use your Christmas greens for smudge stick Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page