kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2005 :  6:59:49 PM  Show Profile
I would love to hear what everyone's Christmas tree looked like this year! What colors did you have? Any special ornaments or themes?

This past May, I got married to Derek. I had some left over ribbon in our wedding colors (country blue and yellow) so I used that (blue on bottom and yellow on top) to drape down on three sides from the top. Then in between those 3 sides I put a silver wide ribbon and brought it in and out like bulging from the stems of the tree. In the spots where it goes into the tree, I place a couple of silk yellow roses. The topper was a Boyd's Bear ornament of two bears holding a banner "Just Married" and surrounding the bears I places a wreath of yellow silk flowers. All of the ornaments were wedding and our first Christmas together themed. I found them in the stores, on Ebay, and through friends and family. If you know someone that is getting married, always get a little wedding ornament to remember that year! :) We didn't do lights this year because last few years I never plugged them up. I wanted it to look country and natural really this year and I love it! :) I'll try to post up a few photos in the next day or so to show you guys.

Jessica~Miss Wilma's Niece

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  04:56:07 AM  Show Profile
I live in a 140 year old farm house, so I made my tree a Victorian confection in pink, gold, and sage green. Lots of ribbons, silk flowers, and Victorian dolls. I also have little old fashioned doll sized lace dresses, hats, and shoes on it. Lights are all gold, about 1100 of them. Tree skirt is Battenberg lace. I really loff it! I buy a few new ornaments for it every year.

Jessica, your tree sounds lovely! I hope you can figure out how to post pics. I might try the same; I've never posted on this site.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  06:22:42 AM  Show Profile
Most of the ornaments are handmade and passed down through the years. The lights are white and don't flash. Our tree looks the same every year and I'm a little tired of it. We'll do something different next year. I'll take the tree out in a day or two. It's going over the pasture fence for the goats to eat.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
www.farm-garden.com/robin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  10:14:51 AM  Show Profile
My tree was so darn dry this year we took it out last night..watering it didn't help at all. I had it parked right in front of a big south facing window and I think it got too much sunshine...but we had it up a month so I can't complain. We had a 7 and 1/2 ft. Fir tree. We decorate with a real variety of ornaments..no particular theme..but mostly country style stuf since that is just what I like..but we have homemade by the kids ornaments, sentimental ones of mine from when I was a kid, and lots of hallmark ornaments that I have collected for the kids over the years (with 7 kids it does add up!!) we really could do with a small tree in the family room for some of the kid ornaments but have always had just one..maybe next year I guess. I use wooden "cranberry" bead garland, and colored tiny lights pushed way into the tree. sometimes i make a raffia garland too..but didn't this year. We have an old tin punched star for the top that I have used for about 20 years..maybe more, and our tree skirt is a red/green plaid quilted that I got when my oldest son (who is 28 now) was in Kindergarten. I keep meaning to make a really neat quilted one but never have yet. Here is a picture of our tree this year.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Dec 27 2005 10:16:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  12:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Okay, this is going to be my first attempt at posting a pic on this site. This is a pic of my Christmas tree a couple of years ago. Some things are different now (like I don't use any RED wrapping paper anymore; yuck! Just pinks and golds) and there's more stuff on it, but maybe you'd like to see what it's like.

Here's hoping it works....

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  12:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Woohoo!!! It worked!
Go to Top of Page

cherryhillhouse
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Barb
Dorr MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  12:43:00 PM  Show Profile
The tree photos are beautiful! Some of you are so fortunate to have ornaments collected over the years. We changed homes four years ago and lost our big box of Christmas tree ornaments in the move. My mom had given me a dated Hallmark ornament every year since I was a child, and then there were those precious ones made by our kids, and those I made as a child -- all gone! For some reason, I had stored one single ceramic Santa, made by my son who is now 30, in a different box, and that's the only "family" ornament that made the move with us. I was SO happy to see that little guy. We had to start all over again. To celebrate the fact that we still had the little Santa, I made a Santa-themed tree and probably 90% of my ornaments are santas of some sort - glass, wood, fabric, you name it. It's a very fun and colorful tree.

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile
I finally got a photo taken of our tree. I love the idea by cherryhillhouse about collecting a dated ornament each year. That would be a neat tradition. When I help mom each year with her tree there is this one little old velvet/felt material Santa that was the first ornament her and dad bought. We crack up each time because he has the funniest face on him.

I love the photos and stories that ya'll have posted so far. Here is our tree:

Jessica~Miss Wilma's Niece
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  4:38:06 PM  Show Profile
I rotate trees every year. This year it was our eclectic tree. All of the ornaments that were handmade, bought on trips, given as gifts, etc. We had colored lights, usually I put bubble lights on also, but not this year and we top it with our old fashion brass santa. Next year it will probably be our seashore tree.

[][]

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

cherryhillhouse
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Barb
Dorr MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  06:24:29 AM  Show Profile
Anne,
I adore Christmas ornaments so the idea of rotating trees is a great one...I could collect many more ornaments...I can picture those stacked containers in the basement now.
Barb

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  08:22:23 AM  Show Profile
Barb -

I think I have an addiction to Christmas Ornaments. Lately I have been collecting for a Garden/Woodland Tree. I have strawberry ornaments, watermelon, farm animals with veggies, a woodland Santa, birdhouse ornaments, you get the picture. Probably another year or so I will have enough for a full tree. My sister collects sheep ornaments and is now doing tea pot and tea related ornaments for another tree. I think we get this from my mother. My sister and I are amatuers (sp?) compared to her. She had a red & gold tree this year, very pretty.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

cherryhillhouse
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Barb
Dorr MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  11:22:18 AM  Show Profile
Anne,
Your theme ideas are wonderful! How many themes do you have? How do you store your ornaments? How long have you been collecting?
Fellow addict - Barb

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  4:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Barb -

I have been collecting since High School, I am now 42, so you can do the math. I have rubbermade containers that are sectioned out for ornaments. I have two of those, very big and very full. I also have another rubbermaid container that has a large inset tray that ornaments are wrapped and stored in and then larger items are store below in the bottom. I have 3 firm theme trees, eclectic tree, celestial tree and the sea shore tree. I am just about ready for a garden/woodland tree, a couple of years of a bit more collecting and I will have enough for a full tree. Just bought a fox, hedge hog and red cardinal ornaments today made out of natural material. I buy all the time, throughout the year. When we were in Washington DC and Alexandria VA last year, I bought 2 ornaments - one of Mt. Vernon and one of Old Town Alexandria. My mom bought me an ornament made out of a seashell into Santa's head that says Alexandria on it. I also bought an ornament at Glacier National Park in Montana this summer and some great seashore type ornaments at the beach in August, one is an octopus. It takes a while for me to have enough for a 7' + tree because I buy one or two at a time. I find that is the best way to collect because I am buying ones I really like and not going for volume. As I said I have an addiction, but I guess there could be worse things

Anne

Go to Top of Page

cherryhillhouse
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Barb
Dorr MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  06:16:52 AM  Show Profile
Anne,
Your collections sound awesome - I am definitely going to start my own. I like the idea of a celestial theme...I'm picturing all kinds of angels, but what other kinds of ornaments do you have for that tree?
Barb

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  07:07:08 AM  Show Profile
Barb -

For the celestial tree, I can either use a star or angel tree topper (have both). I use white lights with star attachments. I have sun, moon and star ornaments. My sister gave me a cool sun (a wooden disc) with a wire that comes out each side that has a star and moon attached. I have a couple of angel kitties. A few planet oranments. A big ornament with Luna on one side and the sun on the other. Shooting stars, etc. I am always looking for this particular tree. It is a bit harder then the others. I need a few more angels and a few more suns and moons.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  06:10:59 AM  Show Profile
Everyone's pics and stories are heartwarming. Y'all are so creative.

Jessica, you will love holding on to your wedding items and using them through the years. I still have ribbons and other items that I put on the tree. Our children love hearing the stories behind them. I also have several ornaments that I have made and received. My best description of our tree is eclectic. It's gone through many themes...even an oriental one...and is now a collection of everything we love.

Growing up, my ballet teacher always had a Christmas gathering of our families. The highlight of the evening was finding all the little treasures she had on and hidden in her tree. She gave everyone a "scavenger list" and we excitedly searched for the trinkets. No fancy prizes or rewards....just the shear fun of searching. I was with her school for ten years. I loved finding all the items I remembered from years before. What a special memory. And, get this, her name was Miss Twinkle....seriously, Twinkle was her real given name. She's in her 80's now and still teaching.

I think I see a new Farmgirl project coming......Christmas Ornament exchange. We could have Christmas all year long or perhaps Christmas in July.....handmade, bought, collection....
Oh, I am going to get started now!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2006 :  12:51:29 AM  Show Profile
What pretty Christmas trees!

We vary our trees from year to year because we have lots of ornaments, mostly homemade and from ornament exchanges. Also one of my sisters and I used to do craft bazaars during the holiday season and I made ornaments with my kids every year when they were small. I've given them all many of their's now that they have their own homes and trees to decorate.

Our tree this year has white lights and mostly angels, crocheted or tatted snowflakes, crystal and blown glass ornaments. The blown glass was done by my oldest son. I also have a big birch branch in my dining room decorated with white lites, candy canes and copper gingerbread men cookie cutters. Some times I even get the cookies made...lol.

Some years we do multi colored lights and all of our traditional colorful ornaments. It's always fun whatever the theme. Actually the branch in the dining room stays up all year and I decorate it for other holidays as well.

My oldest daughter was just married this summer and her in-laws live here too. They have a huge restored Victorian house that is always on the Christmas home tour here. This year they had 12 decorated trees. It is truly amazing! They start decorating for Christmas on Nov. 1. I've been to their house many times and on the home tour. She never has it done the same way twice.

Next year I'll try really hard to get some pictures of our trees and maybe some of hers.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  2:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls!
I wanted to share what I did with my little faux tree. I took down my "big" family tree and decided to keep this little one around. I was thinking a valentine theme or "love bird" would be sweet. Well I went to my favorite Garden shop and they were having an indoor garage sale! I love it. I found a basket where all the ornaments adoring my little tree cost only 50 cents each. I love a deal! I love my little Garden themed tree to boot!

Go to Top of Page

cherryhillhouse
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Barb
Dorr MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  09:01:59 AM  Show Profile
Theresa,
What a cute idea! I love having a tree up year round and changing the theme with the seasons and such. My house isn't large enough to do that now - I would definitely have a garden tree after seeing yours. I also noticed your big blue star in the background - I have three bright red ones in my dining room.
All good things,
Barb

Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  09:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Barb!
Don't you just love those Barn stars, I ordered mine from a website,they are made by the Amish. I would like to have more.

Thank you for the nice compliments on my tree. It turned out to be such a deal , it just had to be!

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa

Edited by - farmgrlchick on Jan 10 2006 09:48:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Your Christmas Tree Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page