kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  2:03:35 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried to make their own vanilla? It's so easy to do. Just take about a quart of Vodka and about 10 good organic vanilla beans. Cut the beans down the middle and put in quart jar with the Vodka, cover and put in a dark place for a few months or so. Shake every now and then.

I've had mine a few years now and I just add more Vodka and beans when it gets down to about half a quart. It's good and easy.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  2:18:10 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if a vanilla creamer for coffee would work just by putting the vanilla bean in the cream or would the infusion take to long.

I will try the vanilla vodka what a great martini it would make also.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  2:22:17 PM  Show Profile
I like both ideas...freshening my apartment with a little buzz...hmmmm....
LOL!

Laura Marie #369
www.lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  2:33:43 PM  Show Profile
Here is a great blog post with pictures about making vanilla that my sister sent me.
http://bethanyactually.com/make-your-own-vanilla-extract/

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  2:46:54 PM  Show Profile
I have seen where you can put the vanilla bean in sugar too to flavor it.

Diana, are you talking about real cream or the powdered creamer? I might try the real cream. It would probably take a few weeks to get the vanilla flavor going. Good idea.

And if you have a little Vodka left over, just have some oj with it!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  07:40:05 AM  Show Profile
I would love to try and make my own vanilla, but vanilla beans are so expensive that I haven't tried it yet. I have heard it makes the best tasting vanilla. Maybe some day I will be able to splurge and try it.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  4:26:37 PM  Show Profile
We have been making vanilla for years. The recipe we started with called for 2 vanilla beans in a bottle of vodka. hiccuupp good stuff

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  5:08:46 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine gave me a pretty bottle with homemade vanilla extract in it-vanilla bean and vodka (she did warn me not to drink it)!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  9:24:18 PM  Show Profile
But don't try to make it with your friends homemade moonshine!! It doesn't come out as well as with vodka. Altered the taste a bit! =)

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  10:45:29 PM  Show Profile
When my mother and daughter went to Tahiti a few years back, my only request was for vanilla beans-I even sent money to be sure I got them. They went on a tour of a vanilla bean/extract business and were told to soak the beans in rum, not vodka. I suspect it was another way to boost their economy. I did it though, splitting a couple of beans and letting them 'brew' for a couple months. Because of the color of the rum, would not want to use it where that might be an issue, but it is quite flavorful. The beans were so soft and fragrant, not like the "sticks" in the jar and the grocery store. They brought me a jar of vanilla paste too, ground up beans. Penzeys.com has wonderful spices. another place that is just for vanilla, but will have to check on the website to be sure it's correct before sharing.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  06:13:17 AM  Show Profile
Angie, that made me think of a time years ago. When I first met my husband he was in a motorcycle club. A good one, though. They were all too nice and actually helped people! Anyway, they liked to party, too. So i had been sick for days with a sore throat and all that. We went to a party near the Tn. River one night and there was lots of moonshine. Someone told me to drink a little and it would knock that sickness right out of me. Boy, did it! I didn't know much after that, but the next day, I felt much better, after I got over the hangover. We also had moonshine at our reception that someone snuck in. We had the typical biker wedding. I was the only one dressed up.

I like to smell the vanilla bottle. Is that a bad thing?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  10:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Any paricular kind of rum? Or are there different types?

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  08:43:50 AM  Show Profile
I just bought a bottle of name brand dark rum, think Bicardi. Can't say it works any better than vodka, since all recipes I've seen call for vodka. Only thing I can say is the rum is more flavorful to begin with and the vanilla beans just add to it. People drink rum straight, don't think that's true of vodka, but I'm surely not knowledgable on that.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  12:33:32 PM  Show Profile
I wonder what it is about foreign vanilla.

I have hadpeople bring back imported vanilla from Mexico and Jamaica. both VERY good!

Around here, not sure where i'd find a decent vanilla bean source.

Pity, since I bake multipe batches of cookies until the first warm day of spring
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  3:39:46 PM  Show Profile
Anna, do you have a Whole Foods or any kind of organic stores or co-ops around? We have several places here. And a good co-op where we get our beans. They are a little pricey if organic. But well worth it, I think. And a qt. last a long time, too.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  3:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, I learn so much from ya'll.....I am going to try this for 09 xmas gifts as well...

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  3:40:42 PM  Show Profile
This is so cool, I will be trying it too!
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  6:53:13 PM  Show Profile
I make my own vanilla too, but I always keep the Watkins Vanilla on hand as well!! I sincerely love homemade best, but Watkins is the closest second I've found ... I use potato vodka and organic beans.
When your vanilla is ready to use, if you remove the beans and roast them in the oven you can easily run them through a coffee grinder, then you can put them in with the coffee grounds for a delightful vanilla coffee.

Weedy Ways ~ Lynn (Farmgirl #626)
WeedyWays.com ~ for a healthier happier and better you! Customized herbals, Watkins Products (since 1868!), Nature's Sunshine and Arbonne ... with attention to special needs including Gluten Free!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  10:37:48 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, I love Watkins vanilla too, in fact so much that when my grandmother stopped selling it I started.

To you girls who get vanilla from Mexico, be careful, it is very good if you have pure vanilla (as in beans) but I'm told it's frequently adulterated with tonka beans which smell similar but are quite poisonous (and cheaper).

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1672 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1672 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  1:31:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris for the homemade vanilla recpe. As much vanilla that I go through it would benefit me to make my own. You can put a split vanilla bean into your sugar and make vanilla tasting sugar. Yummy I've used it before and it is great.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  2:42:23 PM  Show Profile
I have purchased both vanilla extract & beans from this seller and have been very pleased :)

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Vanilla-Products-USA__W0QQ_armrsZ1

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  3:08:02 PM  Show Profile
I have always wanted to do the vanilla sugar. Waht are some things you use it in?

And Lynn, the roasted vanilla bean coffee thing sounds too good. Thanks. And welcome to the forum, too.

My vanilla is about 3 years old. I have added new beans but keep the old ones in there. I just add new vodka from time to time. I love to open the jar and just take a whiff. It smells so good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  7:58:35 PM  Show Profile
I have been making it for a little while. I use 6 beans for every 8 oz. of Vodka. I bought beans from the Organic Vanilla Bean Company, online. They were not expensive at all, and had super fast shipping.
Americans like what is known as cookie vanilla, which is half tahitian vanilla beans, and half bourbon vanilla beans. I have also found that grade B beans, which are cheaper, make better vanilla, because they can soak in more alcohol.

Beware vanilla from Mexico. Mexico has no truth in labeling regulations or any organization like our FDA. Many times the vanilla will contain artificial flavors or enhancers, such as Coumarin, which is carcinogenic product that has been outlawed by the FDA for the last 30 to 40 years.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1672 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1672 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  8:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Kris, With the vanilla sugar. I use it in sugar cookie recipe. I also have mixed it with cinnamon to make cinnamon toast.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  5:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
hmmmm thats some food for thought. I think i just may try this. May have a drink afterwards too ;)

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Home made Vanilla Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page