Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 I'm that eccentric lady you see....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic I'm that eccentric lady you see.... Next Topic
Page: of 2

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  12:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
I'm that eccentric lady (or odd Aunt) you see driving down the road with a chicken in the front seat, singing as we go. Or even a baby goat with its head outside the back window.

Would love to know what breed animals you have. Am big into Maran (French) chickens and Bantams and Nubian goats for milk for making cheese and milk soap. Have considered getting a pig. Would buy a Jersey or Guernesy cow but cannot use that much milk daily. So many invest in one with some friends.

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  12:32:15 AM  Show Profile
"Just" a sweet kitty cat named Elvis :)
I live in a small village of about 985 peeps, not on a farm but in a regular nice house that is my home. No room for animals, just the sweetest kitty cat :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  04:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Haha, Beth, the closest I get to "livestock" is 7 doves, and even that's pretty exotic, where I live!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  05:42:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi beth, I raised pigs in the bathtub and lambs and chicks in the kitchen, horses and ponies, too, and minis in the back seat. LOVE IT!!! Singing in the car is just absolutely THE BEST!!
I think you are just normal. LOL MB
BTW- No horses and ponies in the kitchen--I just have horses and ponies--but if they could get in maybe they would. LOL MB
http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Jan 25 2009 05:43:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

MuslinBunnies
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Tina
Franklin NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  06:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beth!

I have two wonderful cats, about a dozen tiny little button quail, and a lonely little zebra finch. I'd love to have a chicken on my car seat or a goat with her head out the window though!!

Tina A.

My Website: http://muslinbunnies.tripod.com/
My Etsy: http://FelineFeathers.etsy.com
My Button Quail Site: http://groups.google.com/group/button-quail-planet
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  12:06:39 PM  Show Profile
I have two lop eared bunnies, Oreo and Coco. I have two silkie hens, a silkie roo and a lovely white rock hen. We have a herd of Red Herefords and a heard of Ramboiulle Sheep. My husband and son recently transported my son's fair lamb about 30 miles on Interstate 80 in the back seat of my son's Buick. (our truck was in the shop) I have often wondered what the truckers thought of that scene.

Living the farming life takes the ability to step away from what society "expects" and just do what needs to done, regardless of the circumstances.

Sherone
Independent Avon Representative

http://tinytaylorranch.blujay.com
http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/
http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  2:57:16 PM  Show Profile
City ordinance prohibits the keeping of "chickens" Darn it!

I kept several chickens years ago when we lived in the country and I miss the soft clucking sound they would make :(

There is nothing like baking with farm fresh eggs huh?

Melody
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  4:57:07 PM  Show Profile
Hello Beth. I am down to 5 Lamancha milk does and 1 Nubian-Togg. doe, 1 beautiful 6 month old red heifer and 1 red steer, 9 guineas, 2 ducks and 1 lone rooster. Plus 3 dogs and 6 cats. That's all right now, til spring anyway. The #'s will quickly be growing, since all the goats are expecting! And I will be getting more chickens. It just doesn't seem right not to have chickens. Besides, poor ole Russell Crowe is a lonely boy. I just had 4 hogs hauled away a few weeks ago and have 1 1/2 in the freezer now. Who knows what might be on this farm in a month.

I forgot to say if you are eccentric, then I am for sure. I have had all these critters in my car at one time or another. Plus turkeys, too. Never have had a horse in here, so I am not ruling that out yet. Oh, and 3 ewes and a ram once also. Now that was fun! I love my Trooper!

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jan 25 2009 5:00:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  11:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Beth, well you aren't alone.
First, we have a mixed breed of cattle(angus, charlais, hereford,etc), we also have boer goats, mixed breed of chickens, one beautiful rooster (very colorful but don't know his breed), a mustang, a mule, a belgian, and a quarter horse, not to mention 2 dogs and 4 cats.
Now for the stories, when my DD and I brought home the chicks it was too cold so I kept them in the house in one of the bathtubs for a week. Several times we've had kids that the nannies wouldn't take so we bring them in the house in an empty mineral tub (from the cows) and bottle feed them, at night so the dog won't get in the tub with them we put the kids in the tub in our bedroom with the door shut. And if those things weren't redneck enough, when we have young kids we have to bottle feed we've had to take them to church with us and keep them inside in the back of the fellowship hall due to feeding schedules. We even had to take them to my son's baptism at the river due to feeding schedules. We were 1 1/2 hr drive from where my son got baptised and we are 45 min away from church (one way).
So far we haven't had to have a new born calf in the house (I hope we don't).
It is definitely YEE-HAW country at our house.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  04:35:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beth--I have a boxer and two avians, and I've also had doves, a guinea pig and a rabbit. Plus other parrot-type birds. They all lived in the house. People think I'm weird cause me and Boxer have matching Christmas sweaters. I worked at a petting zoo twenty years ago and fell in love with the llamas. Plus the ring-tailed lemur was attached to me. It was hard leaving them behind. Someday perhaps I'll have enough land to have a few alpacas. I want to learn to spin and knit so I can make things with their wool. Plus alpacas can be very therapeutic with children and the disabled. And yes, I'd let them inside the house on occasion--their hooves are dainty and they're naturally "litter-box" trained. People who love animals aren't eccentric--they're just happier.

Prairiehawk
"Love is a four-letter bird"
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  05:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
What a fun topic!!

I so enjoyed reading each post and could not help smiling at the pictures that crossed my mind with some of the stories with cars stuffed with farm friends being carted here and there by my farmgirl friends!! Too fun!!! I wish I could join in the stories and tell of carting my farm friends about but for now 4 kids, 2 dogs, and a cat will have to do (and you all know sometimes the stories and experiences are just as wild with them!! lol )

Hugs to All!!
Talitha

PS I love singing in the car!! Often the whole family does!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Edited by - Buttercup on Jan 26 2009 05:40:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  05:57:19 AM  Show Profile
so enjoyed those stories, too!!.....right now we only have two kitties (black and white--tuxedo kitties), named Sammy and Olivia whom we love so much! but anyway, when my husband was growing up they had horses....when his horse had a foal, he treated it like a dog when his parents weren't around....he'd bring it in and let it lay down and watch tv with him and his brothers and sisters....they'd fill the kitchen sink so it could drink water....one day his parents came home and the colt just followed them into the house....that's when they got suspicious!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  06:25:14 AM  Show Profile
We are down to 12 Rhode Island Red hens and 1 cat. Plan to get a couple of pigs to feed out and would love to raise a lamb to butcher. Everyone says I'll never butcher the lamb once we get him. We have had lots of livestock over the years. Hereford cattle, quarter horses, buffalo, and at one time we had 100 head of hogs. We have had peacocks, guineas, quail and pheasant. In the process of selling everything to our sons. They can chop ice, feed in the middle of snow storms, then put up with 112 degree heat while putting up hay. I just tend the garden, harvest, can and freeze stuff and gather the eggs. Well, I might have to clean out the hen house then next time it warms up a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  06:28:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I forgot to mention, they all have been in the house at one time or another. Except the buffalo. Fortunately, they don't require much TLC.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  07:25:04 AM  Show Profile
I have a bird feeder full of birds, squirrels, raccoons and occasionally deer! Does that count? I don't have to breed them, they take care of that themselves!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  07:49:39 AM  Show Profile
I have 3 cats, a dog, 2 rabbits, a degu, and a betta fish. I too feed the birds outside, which of course attracts an overabundance of yard rats (aka squirrels).

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  09:03:49 AM  Show Profile
Belle, it really is not that hard to take a lamb to butcher, especilly if it's a ram. After you've been head butted a few times, you'll load it up in your car and take it there yourself!! Believe me, been there, done that! And you'll love the meat you get, too.

I was wondering how I was going to get my 4 hogs to the butcher and was about ready to put one at a time in the back of my Trooper. But they came and got them for me! Solved that little dilema for me. But I would have done it. I hauled all 4 home when I got them, I guess I could do the rest myself. But the meat is so much better when you raise it yourself. I think you can taste the "love". That's what makes it so good.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  11:13:36 AM  Show Profile
We got our first Llama in 1979 in Oregon
We got him in the back end of the truck with canopy, got him all settled, he was sitting down. As we got on the freeway(we live in Wa) we see that the canopy lite is on. Well we wernt going to distrube him so as it got dark ,what a picture. People slowed, almost ran off the road. honked.This was back before llamas became so popular. Yes we still have llamas all those years
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  6:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh if I could only count the times I have been driving along with a goat in the car or chickens or bunnies!!!! I guess I am the eccentric lady too. Just love to take my animal with me and my one goat will jump into the car and when we get where ever we are going jump out wander around around and when we are ready to go jump back in. He is kinda big now to do that but he is stil a cool goat. I have bottle raised baby goats in the house even thought i have a bunch of dogs they baby it never bothered it. they would lick it and clean it up. so I guess I would fit right on with you. You are not alone!!!! and by the way I am haivng a lot of fun doing it. People just don't know what they are missing!!!!!heheheheheh

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  6:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Lets see, I just had a "Hope Spring is Coming Clearance Sale" so I'm down on numbers. but I have a mini horse(yes he fits in the van, ) 2 pygmy goats, a couple dozen rabbits, flock of chicks, pigeons, 4 dogs and nine cats. 30 guinias coming this Spring and more chickens. Oh yes , am picking up another mini horse Sat and more rabbits.I have Serama and Phoenix chicks in the sewing room and since it will be below zero again, I brought in a rabbit and her new litter to the sewing room. Which of course is full of critters and no room for me AGAIN
Go to Top of Page

catwoman
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Wanda
Pulaski TN
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  6:25:20 PM  Show Profile
I am also the eccentric lady, except in TN. I have 30+ Highland cows, Babydoll sheep, 2 Halflinger horses that think they are dogs and follow me around nuzzling and wanting to be petted, an ancient angora goat named Clarissa,36 hens of all kinds, 13 roosters of various kinds, who think 3:30 in the morning is the time to start crowing outside the bedroom window, a pair of Bourbon red and a pair of Royal Palm turkeys, who are wonderful to hear gobbling as I walk out the door,7 ring-necked pheasants, an Olde English sheepdog, black lab, lab/daushund mix, a collie mix, and 21 cats who keep me company while my significant other is in Afghanistan until next December. With my animals, there is always something to do to keep me busy from fencing to emergency vet trips to just sitting on the swing with 4-5 cats all wanting to be in my lap. You can judge people how they react to and act around animals.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  11:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Beth, to bad you don't live on my country road.... there are Llamas, Alpacas, chickens, horses, 1 Mule, sheep, goats, cows, some odd long haired cows that look like a cross breed of a cow & Buffelo, ...lots of dogs, quail, pheasents, not to mention Deer & Coyotes...there use to be a wild Guinee Hen who thought he was a quail, but I have not seen him since last summer...
So Beth, you would fit in just fine & No, you are not an odd lady, least ways not by farmgirl standards!
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

stacyluu
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

stacy
tuttle oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  09:49:50 AM  Show Profile
motherbeth...i would be proud to have you as a neighbor/friend and would love to sing with you in a truck full of farmcritters..what could be more normal?
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  4:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
LOL, reminds me of that book, "IT'S HARD TO LOOK COOL WITH A SHEEP IN YOUR CAR". !!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  11:43:01 AM  Show Profile
What a neat thread!

I have four pygmy-Nigerian dwarf goats, with a new almost solid black pysmy-Nigerian dwarf to move here after April first when he is weaned....with the idea he will be my new herd buck...

I have five Nubian-Boar crosses that I am keeping, but will just increase my herd of the smaller goats since I am getting older!

I make and sell homemade goat milk soap.

I have about 250 hens who lay "fresh eggs from happy chickens" which I sell here in my little farm store.

I also have 10 English Angora rabbits and have been learning to spin their wool on my Ashford traditional spinning wheel (learning verrrrry slowly!)

I also have about 20 Muscovey Ducks with two ducks currently "setting" on nests of at least 10 eggs each! The ducks are just great assets around the farm!

I also have five cats who live in a large screened back porch area, one house cat, and then a new stray who has moved in the carport but who has not been fixed yet...AND we have two dogs....a white Eskimo Spitz who lives in a pasture adjacent to the goats and a 15 year old mix of Husky-Cocker-Spaniel-who knows....the two dogs and all the cats are rescues...

As soon as my larger pasture is completely fenced hope to get a pair of Great Pyrenes to help guard the goats...

I am 56 years old and do all the animal "tending" myself. I LOVE my livestock here at Old Field Farm!

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  6:48:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh Beth, you sound like soooo much fun! What a happy life you have!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5202149

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic I'm that eccentric lady you see.... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page