Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 New Food Safety Act- what's your view?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic New Food Safety Act- what's your view? Next Topic  

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  08:28:10 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you girls made up your mind about House Bill 875http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875?

It seeks to consolidate various government programs that are charged with food safety under one office - and requires additional reporting for producers.

Argument for the bill is that it addresses problems like the Peanut scare, the lettuce contamination, the tomato controversy and other food safety problems that occured in the last year.

Arguments against the bill seem to be under two general categories:
1. Less government is always better
2. It will drive small producers (i.e. farm marketers) out of business because of increased costs of compliance

What do you think?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Mar 22 2009 08:30:26 AM

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  09:23:17 AM  Show Profile
http://www.wvwnews.net/story.php?id=6726

This site touches on my own feelings. I won't even begin to express how I feel here, it's a lovely spring day and I want to enjoy it in a good mood while I start more bedding plants. :)
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  10:06:14 AM  Show Profile
I agree DaisyFarm- it's just to insane- and although it isn't a nice day here- I don't feel like getting all upset at the moment!

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  10:27:07 AM  Show Profile
Exactly Sandra.
Sorry Brenda, I didn't mean to just blow off your topic. It's definitely a very important one. I just tend to spin on subjects involving greed, arrogance and corruption at it's finest.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  11:47:38 AM  Show Profile
I know exactly how you feel. There is so much going on today that is just WRONG, sometimes you feel like you can't do anything about it anyway, so why not just enjoy the day?

But I like to feel I can do SOMETHING.

I wrote a letter to my representative, who is NOT on the Agriculture committee, so I'm not sure how effective it will be.

Anyway if Michelle Obama has a garden at the White House (and serves state dinners from it), won't she be affected by the bill too? Maybe she's our best hope!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  4:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
This bill - and others like it - are missing one very big piece of the 'public health' issue. Whether it's peanuts, spinach, milk, or meat, the blindingly vast majority of problems are from mass produced items. HUGE vegetable/dairy/meat farms (and the accompanying slaughter facilities for the meat) that can't possibly control cleanliness at an appropriate level.

But to appear proactive, the government goes after all farms, even the small ones who are of a size to be conscientous about cleanliness and health. It's the small farms who take the hit, who can't stand up to the onerous requirements. This is good for the large conglomerations for two reasons: One, since they are able to comply with little effort or expenditure (most of them take an active part in devising the bills), they appear to the public to be helping with food safety when in fact it's just fancy icing on a rotten cake. And two, small businesses are not a threat to them yet, but their momentum is growing and the smarter large businesses can see it, so this has the nice 'side-effect' of stopping that momentum in its tracks.

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  4:51:07 PM  Show Profile
When chemical companies (Monsanto) are sponsoring the bill, it can't be good. We must support our local farmers - it's the only way to protect our food sources and prices.

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  5:52:53 PM  Show Profile
I recieved this from our Rep Bart Stupak just this morning.....

Dear Ms Neece:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act. I appreciated hearing from you on this issue.

On February 4, 2009, Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro introduced H.R. 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act. H.R. 875 would establish a Food Safety Administration headed by an expert in food safety within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). By separating food safety regulation from drug and device approvals, the bill would allow food safety experts and researchers to focus on food safety. H.R. 875 would also provide the Food Safety Administration with the regulatory tools to access important records, recall products, and penalize companies for knowingly selling tainted products.

The Food Safety Modernization Act would address current weaknesses in the system by requiring traceability, requiring food companies to take preventive measures, mandating regular inspections, and demanding that imported food meet our safety standards.

Recent cases of salmonella in peanut butter, botulism in baby food, and e.coli in spinach are all signs of a disturbing trend. However, this is not merely a health issue; it is an issue of national security. Imported food could be tainted with biological or chemical agents before entering the United States or toxins could be introduced at a domestic food processing plant. By the time anyone begins to feel the effects of these toxins, this food could have reached thousands of people across the country, resulting in serious illness and even death.

While the number of cases of food borne illness has more than doubled in the last five years, the past Administration drastically reduced the resources for addressing food safety issues. The budget for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition has been cut from $48 million to $25 million in just three years. Also, annual inspections of domestic food processing plants dropped 25 percent since 2005.

On January 28, 2009, I introduced the Food and Drug Administration Globalization Act of 2009 along with Congressman John Dingell and Congressman Frank Pallone This legislation is a critical step toward equipping the FDA with the regulations and needed to safeguard Americans in the global marketplace for food, drugs, devices, and cosmetics.

The Food and Drug Administration Globalization Act would guarantee FDA the funding to significantly increase inspections of food facilities and improve outdated information systems. The legislation requires food producers to have preventive food safety plans and subject the plans to FDA inspection, requires food imports to meet all US standards, closes the loopholes in FDA's ability to trace the source of contaminated products, and imposes stiff penalties on companies that violate safety standards.

Whether we are talking about the Food Safety Modernization Act or my legislation, Congress is not intending to stop individuals from growing food for their own consumption. In addition, my legislation includes specific language that exempts small businesses from paying the registration fee.

It is my hope that Congress will act quickly on food safety legislation. Congress faces an ambitious agenda in the coming months, but the more than 500 illnesses and nine deaths linked to the current peanut butter salmonella outbreak underscore the importance of wasting no time in enacting this important legislation.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again regarding issues of importance to you.

Sincerely,

BART STUPAK
Member of Congress

There you have it....Now what? No more Farmer's Markets???

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  6:20:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm afraid that your right Melody. I really look for them to shut down roadside stands and farmers markets. I think it will get to the point that if you are not an FDA certified food corp. you will not be allowed to sell food. I think it's pathetic and violates the very basic freedoms our country was founded on.
I'm not going to get into a big argument....but look through history at what has happened when a government takes over the banks and food of a land. Beware ladies. We are facing very very rough days.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  7:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Misty,

How on God's Green Earth will they be able to enforce and regulate this? Food police??

It's wrong.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  8:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Melody,
Thanks for posting your Rep's letter. I cant help but think, when I read it, how much of the conversation that "they" seem to miss. While they talk about food saftey, and I agree that we all want that, I also think that back when my grandparents and great grandparents were coming up they ate and prepared foods that were naturally fermented. Things like sourcrout, kifer, yogart, raw milk,sourdough bread ( like what MaryJane has been trying to teach us to do over on the breadthemaryjaneway thread. We have turned into a nation that 1) no longer eats "real food" but rather fast food and processed, we depend on pasterization and irradiation, sterilzation all that while do kill bad bacteria.... also kill good bacteria... which our bodies need.... At some point even when eating raw foods we will be eating "dead food" as all the processes above kill enzymes which again our bodies need. There is only one way to my way of thinking that makes any sense and that is sustainable agriculture, connecting with the producer to insure they are growing the way we want it grown...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  07:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rene- I couldn't agree with you more! Have you noticed how many Yogurt companies are pushing the fact that their product as "Live and active enzymes and cultures"? I think our bodies are already starting to have problems digesting this stuff that is called "Food" (as opposed to REAL food that is nourishing and has the enzymes and such in it still)

I was speaking with a nutritionist a couple of years ago and she told me that they rate foods based on their life-force. Their ability to sustain your life with their and how "alive" the food was. The scale went from I think 10-0 with 10 being something that you went out into your garden, plucked from the stem, or stalk and ate right then and there- no time lapse. The tomato didn't even realize it was picked yet type of thing- all the way down to 0 which would the the highly processed, irradiated and generally destroyed food that clogs the aisles of the local supermarkets.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  1:06:10 PM  Show Profile
I know better than contact my reps. I contacted them a couple of years ago about women in the military and got a "don't worry your pretty head honey" type of response. I don't see how they can enforce it. However, I heard yesterday on the radio how a lady got a questionnaire from our local electrical company asking about how many refrigers, tvs, etc., she had. She wrote "none of your damn business" and sent it back to them. The government is really starting to scare me.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  3:08:02 PM  Show Profile
I don't see where it says we can't GIVE our produce away. We'll just have to drive furthur to find it if there are no farmers markets. Those of us that sell at the farmers markets can let people know that we have produce Free if you want to pick it. Oh, excuse me, did you drop this $5 bill? No? Umm must be mine. I'm all the time finding money in the shop beside the refrigerator that has the eggs in it.

There arn't enough law enforcement, or courts to control backyard gardens.

The lawyers are going to be too busy sueing people on the behalf of animals. Have you heard that one? Look out, we are in for a rough ride!
Go to Top of Page

daylily
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Chris
Newcastle CA
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  3:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Here's the response I got from California Congressman Tom McClintock:

"March 31, 2009

Dear Christine,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about H.R. 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009.

The goal of this bill is to create a new federal bureaucracy - the Food Safety Administration. Furthermore, this bill would enact strict new mandates on food growers and sellers.

Like you, I am opposed to any regulations that would infringe on the rights of individuals to grow and buy the food they choose. You can count on me to vigorously defend those rights.

I appreciate you taking the time to contact me about this matter, and I invite you to do so in the future about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Tom"

Chris
Farmgirl Sister #346

http://refininglife.blogspot.com
http://organizedkitchen.blogspot.com
http://redeemedforapurpose.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  4:01:43 PM  Show Profile
HA!! I find this so political.. I too am opposed & have contacted anyone I know. My aunties hubby emailed Sherrod Brown( a backer of the bill) & he assured him that this bill would not have any ill effect on growers.
What a joke!
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  8:43:56 PM  Show Profile
Please be AWARE that the people behind the bill are companies such as Monsanto and ADM. Yikes, no good intentions there. But don't be scared be aware and make the difference. Pick Up Your Pitchforks girls !!!!!!! :) Dig, grow and save seeds for the future. Keep sending the letters and be heard!!!!!!!! It still is WE THE PEOPLE and WE ARE THE PEOPLE :)

Heather
LoveChics of Loveland Colorado
Farmgirl #550

love, light, & laughter
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile
One word....YIKES!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  06:54:28 AM  Show Profile
I so agree with you ladies.. The problem with the bill is what is NOT in it. The bill is so broadly written that they can close down small farms that do now have the finances to meet the new standards. Maybe it is not there intention to do that but the problem is they could if they wanted to.

There is a couple of examples already out there...
1. Many farmers markets now require food vendors to have license and be certified ~ so if you sell canned jellys, jams, veggies, make pies or anything else you must have a food handlers license and be certified. WHY because the health department found a loop hole in the laws that allow them to go after the farmer's markets and way for states to get more revenue. The days of the markets will be numbered.

2. The FDA CFR 111 ~ which by June of 2010 requires anyone who makes or sales herbal products for consumption or placement on the human body, and has less than 20 employees ( including yourself) to be registered as an FDA Manufacturer and meet all FDA guidelines. This bill means if you make herbal teas, tinctures, salves you must be registered and licensed as an FDA facility, IF you make any claims ( salve can heal hands, a tea to help with sleep or one for tummy aches, how about a tincture for healing the skin?) This bill passed 2 years ago and has been slowly put into place. I call it a modern day witch hunt. This new bill puts all herbs in the hands of BIG manufacturing. Pretty Scary

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children" http://thegoodearthfarm.blogspot.com follow me!
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  06:17:35 AM  Show Profile
i agree that this is scarey.....does anyone remember ronald reagan saying the most feared words are "i'm from the government and i'm hear to help"! it just seems that when honest, down-to-earth people are just trying to move ahead with their own lives,....eat what and how they want to eat, live by basic common sence, basically take care of themselves, we are able to take that one step forward but get pushed two steps back. i hate to watch the news any more it makes me so disgusted.
Go to Top of Page

Wendi H
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Wendi
Hayden ID
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  10:11:14 PM  Show Profile
This bill is very concerning - if the government can't track their TARP expenditures, how are they capable of montoring something so large as FOOD?

Ok, now off of my soapbox, I have a question for the forum about food sources - it was recommended to me to watch a documentary called "The Future of Food". I have not yet watched it, something along those same lines of not wanting to ruin my day, but want to know if anyone has watched it & their thoughts.

Thanks, gang!

Can't wait to see you all at BBB/Farm Fair 2009!!!
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  09:54:32 AM  Show Profile
I recently watched that documentary "The Future of Food". I can't say it totally made my day, however it did leave me more determined to provide as much food for my family on our farm rather than from the grocery store. It made me thankful that we've started on the journey of producing our own food. This current bill does concern us as we are going to start the sales aspect of our farm this fall. I'm honestly so new to all of this, I'm not sure where to focus my concern, so we've just been moving forward and having faith.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  03:56:12 AM  Show Profile
Has any of this been in the national news?

I see this issue the same as if guns were to outlawed.

There are too many back woods areas for big government to stamp out every single one. My little operation included.

I sell eggs and jams and jellies.

I'm not seeing where we the little man will be forced out.

Is this really more regulations for the bigger companies since they ship all over the U S and can reach more people? Which ultimately would mean even higher prices I fear

So, can someone clairify specifically where in the bill it says the small town farmer will be forced out or forced to comply?

I can't find it

I see that regulations are needed if we sell something on a larger scale that is consumed. i.e. tax i.d. numbers, vendors lisences ect.... This is govermnent's way of getting their cut too. Like an alcohol tax on hard liquor. And is why it is illegal to sell it bootlegged.

NO tax=no $$ for big brother

oh phooey is what I say
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  5:51:25 PM  Show Profile
The word 'globalization' always frightens the socks off me. More government always frightens the socks off me.
What ever happened to the simple approach? Put better facilities - bath and hand washing stations - where ag workers need it...on the farms.
The answer - because it won't produce more government jobs that don't produce anything except someone keeping tracks on the rest of us. It's cheaper and God knows we can't have that - not as long as there's a taxpayer still alive.
"The goal of this bill is to create a new federal bureaucracy"...ain't it always?

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  03:22:40 AM  Show Profile
This just tipifies our ever increasing slide toward communism.

Pretty soon, what WON'T the govermnent be controlling? It's already happening to some of the automakers and banks.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic New Food Safety Act- what's your view? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page