Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Question about sourdough starter and flour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Question about sourdough starter and flour Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  3:04:13 PM  Show Profile
I am starting a sourdough starter featured in the MJF magazine. I notice all the starters call for unbleached white flour. My question was do you have to use unbleached white flour to make it work?

I have been grinding my own wheat for 28 years to make bread. I use the Montana prairie gold. Its a light colored wheat and makes really good wheat flour. Would it mess up the sourdough starter if I used the prairie gold wheat instead or could I start with the white and feed it with wheat ? Have any of you ladies tried this before and did it turn out or did you get really nasty results?

Thanks for any help with this matter. I did mix up the starter as the recipe called for in MJF magazine. But will change it to whole wheat if its possible. Also has anyone ever seen where to buy the cute cast iron pot that it shows in the magazine they baked the bread in....that was really neat !

Thanks
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  3:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Linda, ck out the thread dedicated to MJ's bread ;) ~ http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28238

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  3:27:37 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie thanks...I just went there and have been reading about the sourdough starter. But I have not found anyone using homeground fresh flour yet for the starter. I am on page 4 will keep reading thanks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  3:34:01 PM  Show Profile
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/7436/using-fresh-ground-flour-sd-starter-seems-kill-starter-help
Here's a forum talking about it

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  3:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much again Bonnie. I really appreciate your help.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  3:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can grind your own and use that- MaryJane answers a similar question on the last page- it depends on the protein content whether it will work or not.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  4:27:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee,

I just read that one. I finally make it to the end of that thread.....lol. I guess the Montana prairie gold wheat is considered a hard white wheat ??? I am not sure. I think I may try making the starter with the prairie gold wheat also. I already mixed the other one today using the unbleached white.

I just hate to waste the flour and throw it out if it doesn't work. The last 50 lb bag was really expensive. That being said I am off to start the whole wheat starter.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  09:00:31 AM  Show Profile
Linda, the Montana gold may take longer to bubble and rise. Montana brand wheat/flour is a good product. I don't believe they have an organic, or at least I've not seen it in the store. MaryJane recommends using organic flour for good reason, but it's not mandatory if you're having good luck with the Montana. Walmart supercenters used to carry the Montana wheat berries and when they discontinued it, I got 25# bags for $4. Vitamix got a good workout grinding it, since that's the only machine I have for grinding.
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  09:39:52 AM  Show Profile
Hello girls. We have already started a topic about the sourdough bread (Bread the MaryJane Way - http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28238) which will remain at the top of the "Farm Kitchen" list of topics. Since we would like everyone to post in that topic so that your responses don't get lost, I'll lock this topic. Please respond to this topic there.
Thank you!
Carol
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Question about sourdough starter and flour Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page