Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Tribute to Olivia and friends
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Tribute to Olivia and friends Next Topic
Page: of 2

berryhill
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Linda
Troy TN
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  08:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Diana, I am just sick for you and your family. What a tragedy. Your photos of the flock are just so precious...
Linda
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  7:37:30 PM  Show Profile
So sorry about your loss. I know our goats are such a little loving family to each other and I can't imagine poor Mr. T. I hope you are able to protect him and maybe find him a buddy soon. Maybe he will bond with the guard dog if you find one. We had a goat that was rather young when her mother passed away and our gentle giant dog took her under his wings and protected her. They would actually lay side by side until we got another goat buddy for her. Best wishes and I hope the mountain lions are long gone from your area.

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  08:14:13 AM  Show Profile
A GOOD guardian dog WILL take on young ones! My LGD, Eli, had his own little lamb that he was raising a few years ago. (unfortunately, we lost her at 1mo old from bloat- the only case we've ever had!) Her mother was NOTORIOUS for having lambs then just walking away from them right after giving birth (last Spring was the exception).

Eli protected "his lamb" from the other animals, kept her clean and warm, and put up with her peskiness. I bottle fed her, of course, but in all other respects HE was her "mama." It was the sweetest thing to see. When she died, he greived for 2 solid weeks. He moped, he cried, he would lay down and put his head in my lap and just stare up at me with those big sad eyes-- it was heartbreaking to watch. But, as they say-- the sun comes out again tomorrow-- there's always another Spring which almost always brings MORE babies for him to love and fuss over. I wonder sometimes if he remembers her....?

Oh, and if anyone would like to learn A LITTLE about some of the Livestock guarding breeds take a look at the new issue of "Grit" magazine. I was at the feed store the other day and the big white dog on the cover caught my eye -- a "Maremma" Livestock Guardian Dog-- it looks almost EXACTLY like my Eli-- Only, I think MY boy is MUCH MORE handsome!!! (Do I sound bias? LOL!!!) Worth the few $$$ for anyone curious about LGD's. Also, there are some GREAT potato salad recipes in this issue too --- YUM!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:02:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Tracy. I am going to get a copy so I can read up on them some more. I've just about convinced my hubby that is the way to go! Lots of hugs!

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  06:09:03 AM  Show Profile
Diana, i'm so sorry for your loss, it it always sad to loose a pet, especially for us farmgirls, since so many of us tend to treat our pets more like family than animals. hang in there, and hopefully there will be brighter days ahead! kelley
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  8:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kelley. Being farmgirls I think we learn a lot of hard lessons. My hubby and I are planning ahead and have intentions of starting over, so we're beginning to feel better. We've learned a lot. Take care, Diana

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  05:55:47 AM  Show Profile
I am soorry about your goatees...we had this very thing happen when we lived in the mountains, except it was a bear....what a mess!!!
but,. even worse, my heart was broke, they were my GIRLS!
My heart goes out to you friend!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #368

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Tribute to Olivia and friends Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page