Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Tribute to Olivia and friends
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Tribute to Olivia and friends Next Topic
Page: of 2

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  7:18:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I just wanted to let those know who have been following Olivia, that we had a terrible tragedy this week. We had a mountain lion attack and they got four of our goats including Olivia. The only one to survive was Mr. T, probably because he is the biggest. We're still trying to deal with all of it, but I just wanted to let you know what happened. Thanks for all of your support. Diana

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  7:26:36 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to hear about your dear goats. What a horrendous thing to happen.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  7:27:07 PM  Show Profile
Aww..I am so sorry that this happened.
HUGS!!

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Life should NOT be a jounrey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, what a ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  8:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh no Diana! I am so sorry that happened! *hugs* I know you loved them so this must be a very sad time for you! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  8:26:48 PM  Show Profile
That is really too bad. I am so sorry you lost your goats.. (((hugs))

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4230 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4230 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  04:01:25 AM  Show Profile
Darn it, that is awful. Our animals are family. Hang in there.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  04:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Diana- that's horrible. I am so sorry. That is just so sad.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  06:04:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh how awful and sad! Poor sweet Olivia and her other furry friends :( My heart and prayers go out to you for the loss of your furbabies.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  06:56:29 AM  Show Profile
While reading this, I have gone from sad to mad. Is anything being done to control the mountain lions? Is there laws protectiong the mountain lions? Evidently there are none to protect your precious animals.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  07:41:43 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for your loss.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  07:48:21 AM  Show Profile
so very sorry to hear about this. hugs to you.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  09:09:55 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all. I still feel so bad and it happened on Thursday morning. The worst part was that the lions only killed two of them (the littlist of course) and then they "ran" the other two to death and just left them there. It was such a waste. We actually hired someone to come out and hunt the lions, but they haven't had any luck and I think they may have moved on. Yes, cougars are protected, but thankfully in Oregon if they harm your livestock you can kill them.

Diana

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  12:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I am so very sorry, Diana. This is very sad news.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  12:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Oh, Diana, I'm in shock! I loved looking at your pictures of Olivia - they warmed my heart and always made me smile. She will live on in all of our memories - her beautiful face and spirit touched so many of us. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know all of your animals are special and to lose them like you did is just heart-wrenching. It's good to hear that there's protection for you if your animals are harmed. I don't believe in needless killing but we also need to be able to protect ourselves and our "family."

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Maven's Haven Editor
Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Jan 18 2009 12:53:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  12:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Karen. I totally agree with you!

Diana

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  1:16:57 PM  Show Profile
Diana, I just saw this. It's just too sad. I am so sorry for you. I was so loving your precious goats and Olivia was the sweetest one. I just hate that this has happened to them. This is heartbreaking to see this. Mr. T is probably so tramatized to have seen it all.

I just hope you are ok and I am just so very sorry.

Hugs and prayers are being sent your way, to you and your family.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  2:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Diana, so sorry for such a loss. I have 2 goats & feel so protective of them; it just horrifies me that something could get them like that. I keep thinking of Miss Olivia in her cute little tie dyed sweater that you last posted. What a sweetie
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  7:46:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh Diana, this just makes me sick. Olivia was so special, I feel I've lost a dear friend. My heart aches for you and your family.

((((HUGS))))
Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  9:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone and lots of farmgirl Hugs to you also.

Diana

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  12:31:56 PM  Show Profile
I am SO SAD for you. I am keeping you in my prayers- it is so hard to lose animals!

Lori

Have a Country Day
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  12:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Diana I'm so sad and sorry for your loss. I have goats too (23 of them as of yesterday!) and my heart is simply breaking for you!!!

I have a dog-- a Maremma to be exact-- and his sole purpose is to guard "HIS" goats with his life!!! While we are fortunate enough not to have Mountain Lions in our area (we live in the Sac Valley), we DO have lots of coyotes and marauding dogs!!! (People move out here from the "city" and think it's OK to just let their animals roam free). We have never lost a critter in the six years that we have had him. (except chickens-- he doesn't seem to think they are part of HIS "family") He is such a blessing to us!!

You might want to look into possibly getting a guardian dog -- some of the breeds good for mountain lion protection are -Anatolian Shepherds, Akbash, Kuvasz, Maremmas (which have personalities similar to Great Pyrenees) and one or two other breeds. I would shy away from mixed breed LGD's though, unless you raise them from a pup-- but even then you never know which breeds characteristics will come out as the dog grows. Just something to think about.

Again, my DEEPEST sympathy to you and your family. ~~~ Hugs, and shared tears ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  9:00:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Tracy. I have just e-mailed the people who sold us the goats, and they breed guard dogs as well. I am trying to figure out how we could have one, and balance it with our llamas and our house dog (quite the wuss, but such a lovely human being). We'll just have to figure out a way to make it work. Thanks again for the encouragement!

Diana

Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  07:52:16 AM  Show Profile
Diana, just read this...how horrible for you and them. I am soo sorry, I know they were "family" and i enjoyed seeing the pictures and all....please hang in there.
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  08:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Diana- So sorry for your loss. I enjoyed the Oliva stories. Dh brought up the White City area as a possible place to look at property the day I read this.......what a coincidence huh? Take care and make sure you stay safe.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  11:07:52 AM  Show Profile
The guadian dog should not pose a problem with the other animals Diana-- especially if you start with a pup. They learn their role on the farm very quickly and who's SUPPOSED to be there and who's NOT. We've gotten other dogs since my LGD came here and he accepted them readily once he understood that they were now part of HIS family. He still won't tolerate my husbands lab chasing the chickens though! One good chomp on the butt was all it took for the Lab to let the birds be! But no harm was done to the other dog, just a quick lesson learned, and the two get along ok when they are around eachother.

He has also made friends with a neighbor's dog. They chase eachother along the fence line, and, when the dog comes over to our place, they play like the good buddies they are. (the other dog has never shown any interest in our stock- which is a GOOD thing!) My dog IS fixed, so that's a big part of his tolerance I think. None of the other dogs have been altered yet. Were he still "Intact" there might be a problem. Unless you plan on breeding Guardian dogs in the future, your best bet is to spay or neuter your pup at the appropriate time.

Do ask all the questions you can possibly think of regarding the particular breed you are considering. As any of the ladies here who HAVE LGD's will tell you, they are not a breed (ANY OF THEM!) for the faint of heart. They are VERY LARGE dogs and some tend to get a little snippy at a certain stage in their growing years (about 18mos it seems)-- I guess you could say they go through their own version of "The TERRIBLE twos!!" They must also be handled VERY differently from a "PET" dog-- no chains, no hitting (Unless you want to lose an arm!!) and they tend to have their OWN agendas in a crisis (and NOT!). They are very independant thinkers and tend to IGNORE their "Masters" when they feel THEIR way of doing something is better. But, they are also very LOYAL, very LOVING and extremely sensitive creatures.

These dogs are NOT for everybody, and for a person who does not take all of these things into consideration-- who have no patience, no respect, and no tolerance for dogs who act independantly-- these dogs can be downright DANGEROUS!!!! A mutual respect must be garnerd between humans and these dogs or things can turn UGLY very fast. I'm not trying to frighten you, or anyone else, just trying to help. Trust me when I say that if you treat these dogs with love, respect, the appropriate kind -- and amount of discipline, AND lots of affection-- you will NEVER be sorry you brought one home. They are truly WONDERFUL dogs if you raise them right. I honestly could not imagine life without my big slobbering lug!! I wish you the best, whatever you choose to do. And again, I'm very sorry for your loss. ~~Hugs to you~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  7:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Tracy, it is so much to consider, which is probalby why we did not deal with it earlier. We've always had "pet" dogs which makes this a whole new adventure. Thanks again for all your information...we will seriously think about it! Diana

Diana

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Tribute to Olivia and friends Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page