Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club' Next Topic
Page: of 11

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  10:36:36 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane goes on to tell us that there is a oneskillete rule: Dinners are always:
4 cups veggies
2 tablespoons butter or oil
1 package Farmhouse quick mix

Dessers are just as easy:
4 coups feruit
2 tablespoons butter or oil
1 package Farmhouse quick mix.

WHAT COULD BE EASIER!!!!!

farmgirls .. order some and tell us all about how you prepared them!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  10:40:27 AM  Show Profile
pages 56 and 57 of the 'egg' issue gives a scrumptious recipe for using the Farmhouse Garlic Pesto Fry Bread .. combined with potatoes, onions, garlic and feta cheese! Beautiful picture too!

AND for DESSERT: an Apple Tart using Farmhouse Buttermilk Biscuit mix, ready-made apple pie filling .. take this to your next 'pot luck' supper and your friends will think you were 'slaving' over the stove all day!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  10:42:22 AM  Show Profile
farmgirls .. it's a good thang i don't put my own name in the basket for all my postings!!! gonna' go get those prize goodies today and post a picture of them .. and remember .. with each magazine we discuss .. another prize goes in the pot! And ONE of you will win EVERYTHING! so get to posting .. LOTS! even if you don't have the magazines (oh silly you!) comment on what is posted or tell us a story of something similar that a story or recipe conjures up!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  10:45:18 AM  Show Profile
page 58 of the EGG issue lists some yummy veggies and fruits and nuts and seeds to use with your farm bakeover mixes.

VEGETABLES
artichoke hearts
asparagus
beets
broccoli
beans
brussels sprouts
cabbage
carrots
cauliflower
celery
chard
garlic
kale
mushrooms
onions
parsnips
bell peppers
hot peppers
potatoes
sea vegetables (WHAT are these???)
spinach
squash sunchokes
tomatoes
turnips

now .. can YOU add to this list?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  10:46:32 AM  Show Profile
Here is the list of fruits from the magazine .. list some that are not already listed here .. for us to try!

apples
apricots
bananas
blueberries
blackberries
cherries
figs
gooseberries
peaches
pears
pineapples
mangos
raspberries
strawberries

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  10:47:32 AM  Show Profile
o.k. .. now some nuts and seeds that maryjane suggests ..
ADD to this list!!

almonds
brazil nuts
peanuts
pecans
pine nuts
poppy seeds
pumpkin seeds
sesame seeds
sunflower seeds
walnuts

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  10:48:42 AM  Show Profile
how about some CHEESES that would taste yummy with bake-overs?

cheddara
shredded
cream
feta
parmesan

there must be lots more .. what would YOU suggest?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  12:05:30 PM  Show Profile
I like both swiss and pepper jack

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  12:37:27 PM  Show Profile
Yes you have to love these Mary Jane Magizines. I HAVE ORDERED THE BACKORDER ONES, EXCEPT THE FIRST. Don't plan on giving them away like I do with so many of my magizines, these are keepers. Also have her book, and can hardly wait for the next one.Just to change the topic for a second, any word on the MONA COW?
Going to try Mary Janes food line one of these days, hearing a lot of good things about it.
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  12:55:57 PM  Show Profile
nancy .. start out with those attitude bars!!!! (all ov 'em!)

i was wondering about mona too just yesterday!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  1:25:27 PM  Show Profile
Frannie,
To win the prizes, is it for posts to the magizine site only?
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  1:58:07 PM  Show Profile
i'm 'mama-ing' a couple fun games and prizes at this time.

(1) magazine reading club .. this one ... i'm making a little pile-ette of treasures .. and for everytime someone posts something 'somewhat relevant' (not just a few words) about an article in the magazines .. either by reading their very own personal copies .. which i'm hoping every farmgirl will, indeed, order .. or .. by commenting on the 'articles' that we talk about .. it can be a recipe, story, poem, song, danc, ya-da ya-da ... that the articles remind you of .. or commenting on the article yourself .. your name goes into the basket for EACH relevant answer. and again .. 'relevant' just means .. a 'discussion' of what is in the magazine .. not just short little replies to something .. i want us to all really read and talk about the articles that are so lovingly written for us farmgirls!

also, i think it is very important that every one of us supports maryjane's farm .. by purchasing their products .. after all .. in 'biznezz' .. it takes some pennies to keep our biznezzes going .. and that is another reason i believe it is very important to support each other by buying farmgirl wares .. and OH DO support your very own town and county where you live .. that's what helps them keep growing too!

o.k. .. GAME (2) is a $20.00 gift certificate for maryjane products. everytime during january and february that one of the FORUM FARMGIRLS makes a $20. purchase from MaryJane Farms ... your name goes into another basket for a drawing for the $20. gift certificate to be announced March 1.

hope that 'splains it gurlfren. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  1:59:51 PM  Show Profile
I think I read somewhere that Mary Jane takes alot of the photos, plus she has a photographer friend who takes some too? Another must for me is a digital camera so I can post some pretty pics too!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  3:32:27 PM  Show Profile
I think Erik takes alot of them too..you new gals may not know he posts here from time to time and is a hoot for sure!
About Mona...she is still waddling around out back..no calf yet!! Hopefully won't be MUCH longer!! I have relatives calling me now to ask (my Uncle and my Mom today)if she has had that baby yet! She does look a litttle closer now..but it won't likely be today. I think she is waiting for February..the stinker!! BUT..she is so much better trained now that it has had it's silver lining waiting so long I guess. I am sure ready now!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  7:30:27 PM  Show Profile
Erik does take many photos- and he happens to be one of the nicest guys around. He took some pictures of Isabella out at the farm and was so sweet to her and I, helping to make her a melon throne to sit on in the hoop house, letting her chase him around with a wagon full and playing little games with her to keep her awake during her normal nap time- these photos are heirlooms to our family, what a gift to us!
One of the things that I find most impressive about Mary Jane's magazines and book is the quality of the photos (whether her own or Erik's or someone else's)- they all convey a story in such clear crisp and welcoming shots- and the pictures are all so darn fun. In most magazines today there is just too much going on (such a reflection of our culture they are!)- the layout tries to capture so much that you don't get to enjoy the details. Mary Jane and the crew have a very unique style that focuses us on the beauty of the little things. I especially noticed this in the Art of the Egg issue- so many beautiful and simple pictures.
Less is often more, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  8:02:06 PM  Show Profile
The art of the egg issue was the first one I bought (got the others that are available soon after and havn't missed one since) I think it is still my favorite issue...I agree about the simple beautiful pictures...the one of the eggs in the apron pocket I just love. And dear Clare sent me a notecard with that same picture on it..I am going to frame it for my kitchen..just perfect.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  02:06:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm taking the Art of the Egg and the Plateful issue with me to South Africa to show other possible farmgirls I meet. I'm going to be bringing back gifts and probably other magazines, so unfortunately I can't put all the magazines in my backpack!
I leave in about 5 hours - gotta go pack!

Debby
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  07:52:21 AM  Show Profile
oh debby .. bring back stories of your adventures!!! have a wonderful time! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  12:03:23 PM  Show Profile
Rebekka I agree with the stories inside Mary Janes pictures. They have definitely inspired me to take tons and tons of pictures. Now before I give any handmade gift away I take a couple of real good pictures. especailly with a digital camera you can't go wrong, talk about instant gratifaction.

And Debby you must take lots of picts and tell us all about your adventures.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  05:55:01 AM  Show Profile
Jenny made mention of the Art of the Egg issue. I love that mag....owning and having fun with chickens...it was perfect for me.

I haven't seen this anywhere but some of you may know....The colors of this website seem to be all the shades of eggs from pink to brown to green. Did MaryJane design it that way on purpose or maybe even subconciously?

Growing up, my Moma had as many interests and hobbies as all of us do. She took up decoupaging (sp?) eggs. My job was to blow them out. I can still feel my ears popping. She knew what she was doing when she told me it was the most important part of the job! She wasn't no fool. She got the easy part!

Ya' know how history repeats itself? Well, I ain't blowin' no eggs. You can bet my girls will be told they have the most important part of the job. Problem is....my girls aren't as gullible(sp?) as I was.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  04:56:30 AM  Show Profile
Good Mornin'

If we're still chatting about The Art of the Egg issue....On p. 116 there are recipes for deviled eggs. We usually just make ours one way. I never thought to add all those yummies and make them so different. Just reading the ingredients makes my tummy rumble.

The celery eggs use a bit of cream cheese..YUM..gonna try that one today. I love to mix cream cheese and salmon together for a sandwich or cracker spread. Now, I'm gonna try the salmon eggs that mix with sour cream. Our chickens have just started laying again after their winter break, so, I've got eggs to "eggsperiment" with!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  07:24:10 AM  Show Profile
i'm going to get right back to our magazine reading club .. now that i've mailed off the Cabin Fever Doll Class patterns .. i have 14 seconds of free time!!! be watchin' later today .. also i'm determined to post pics of those prizes before this day is over! gonna' run to town for a little while .. but post away about anything in the magazines t'il i get back .. remember .. your name goes in the baskeet for EVERY 'relevant' posting! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  10:44:58 AM  Show Profile
I got my magazines!! I'm soooooooooo in love with them!!

I'll pop back in a while I gotta go get the name of the article I was readin last night!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~

Edited by - Bridge on Feb 16 2006 2:50:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  11:09:31 AM  Show Profile
Lucky lady!! Enjoy them!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  12:52:07 PM  Show Profile
Sue
Just checked out your country pleasures and blog site. Very nice, you should put this all in a book, or are you? or maybe submit it to a newspaper as a daily or weekly column. women love this kind of stuff. Anyway very nice.
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club' Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page