Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club' Next Topic
Page: of 11

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  5:18:17 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, your multiple posts are making me want my mags now!!! Each morning I look for my UPS guy. He's been stopping by with other packages but no mags yet. I've even been givin' him coffee and honey buns trying to bribe him...well, I actually know he can't hurry it up but it's fun feedin' him and he enjoys it, too.

I would be willing to pay up for the re-issue of the premier issue. I'm sure there would be lots of gals who would. Hey, maybe these could be signed by MaryJane....make them even more of a collector's item than the first issue.

We raise chickens, so eggs are a big part of our diet.....I love eggs!! No matter how they're cooked, I just love them. My husband's favorite is a chili omelet......4 egg omelet with homemade or Wolf brand chili and cheddar cheese inside and then topped with more when it's plated. OOOOHHHH and onions on top! I like to fetch all kinds of goodies from my garden, saute' them up and scramble eggs with'em....wonderful color and aroma and TASTE!!

I don't think I can sleep tonight...I want those magazines to get here!! One good thing is that we usually home school Mon thru Wed and have more free time on Thurs and Fri. And tomorrow is Thursday!!! A great day for the mags to arrive!! And the chill over powder, too.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:09:13 PM  Show Profile
catherine .. i'm gonna look for the Wolf Brand Chili .. haven't seen it in our area. that does sound every so yummy! and yes! oionions (or scallions) on top!

Chile! you will NOT be getting any sleep when the mags do arrive ... it will be like Christmas all over again! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Bridgette .. i think there is a 'roaming' copy going around .. perhaps you could get on the list to receive it! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:16:26 PM  Show Profile
There is a quote on page 12 of the 'egg issue' by Henry James (and i believe this is the author of the book Washington Square .. WHICH .. by the way .. when it was filmed (by the Disney Corporation) contacted me and asked me to make DOLLS for the movie as it was being filmed in Baltimore, Maryland ... oh what fun this was .. i called a meeting of the dolly club and we made lots of repro dolls for the movie .. they are in two quick scenes .. one where the children are playing with toys and another at the end of the movie where Jennifer Jason-Leigh (one of the stars) is putting toys in a toy box .. the one that you see and hear go CLUNK! was mine .. actually, that was an antique one that i lent to them). you might be able to get this movie at your video store) .. well .. anyhoo .. there was a little trip down memory lane!

The Henry James quote: "I had an excellent repast .. the best repast possible .. which consisted simply of boiled eggs and bread and butter. It was the quality of these simple ingredients that made the occasion memorable. The eggs were so good that I am ashamed to say how many of them i consumed ... It might seem that an egg which has succeeded in being fresh hasdonoe all that it can be reasonbaly expected of it."

i think i'll visit my girlfriend down the road, who has chickens .. and get me some fresh eggs for breakfast this morning! (it is 2:16 a.m. right now .. and i am still a whirling dervish!)

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:24:08 PM  Show Profile
oh ... p.s. when the movie was filmed, as a 'thank you' (cuz' we wouldn't take any money for the 'doll rentals' .. i was invited to watch the filming .. it was AMAZING to see how they transformed a 'blah' park into a beautiful victorian-era park .. and then to dig up the plants and fence and move it to the next filming spot .. i got to tour the home where part of the movie was filmed. the studio actually rented an entire BLOCK of homes .. moved everyone to hotels for a week .. so they could make the 'outside facades' as they wanted them .. they didn't want families in new clothing coming and going .. and the street, was, of course, blocked off during filming .. i also got to go to a 'studio' built home where another part of the film was made. it was fascinating watching the director direct!!

well, anyhoo ... i wanted to share "The Best Way to Hard-Boil an Egg" from page 24 of the egg issue: "For a perfectly creamy yolk with no green ring, use the bring-itpto-aboil method. Cover eggs with cold water in a saucepan, bring the water to a boil, and then drop it to a simmer. PUll the eggs out after five minues and cool them under a running faucet. The yolk will be cooked through yet cream,y and there will be no discoloring. The whitle will be tender as opposed to being rubbery.

And this advice for figuring out which of the eggs you have hardpboiled and which are uncooked: Lay each egg on its side on the counter and spin it. If it spins fast, it's hard-boiled. If it doesn't, it's uncooked!

NOW THERE is a great idea .. cuz' at easter-time .. i often forget which is which!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:28:08 PM  Show Profile
ALSO on page 24 .. is MaryJane's Organic Moroccan Bluebery Dessert. Maryjane says that when she created this recipe, she was thinking only of herslef! She threw together some of her favorite ingredients and came up with an unusual simple recipe. You can order her Organic Moroccan Blue Berry Dessert .. incredigents are: Organic Couscous, (i LOVE couscous!!!) and am going to order this with MY next order!!
also Organic Non-Fat Dry Milk, Organic Sucanat which is dehydrated can juice), Organic Blueberries, Organic Cinnamon and Organic Nutmeg. This is a Vegetarian meal.

oooooohhhhh! and the Peatnut Butter Blonde Brownies!!!!! MaryJaner was trying to recreate the yummy taste and aroma of peanut butter spread on a piece of warm toast! AND .. for fun .. she throw in some chocolate and called it a brownie! GONNA GIT me some of this too!!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:33:50 PM  Show Profile
o.k. .. another one ... (and i'm only on page 25 of a 144 page magazine with NO ADS!!!!!!!!!! I SWEAR to you ... each magazine is like having another MaryJane book .. but ... hmmmmm .. me thinks me did indeed share this info with you farmgirls already .. so WHAT are you waiting for ... ORDER THEM!!!

o.k. Organic Spoon Drop Scones with Walnuts and Orange Peel. MaryJane wanted to invent a recipe that mataches a grandmother's love and tenderness without creating anything too exotic or generational. And SCONES are so delicious! and just look at this list of yummy ingredients: everything, of course, is organic .. so .. we'll just know that is a 'given': unleached wheat flour, cane crystals, walnuts, sucanat, currants, orange peel, Barron Flour Mill Baking Powder (right from MaryJane's own MIll!), Baking Soda, Barley Malt, Sea Salt and Cardamom. This, too, is a VEGAN dish! o.k. THAT one is ALSO on my next shopping list!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:36:06 PM  Show Profile
NEST EGG .. who will be the first among you farmgirls to tell us where that old-fashioned term came from? (hint: it's in the 'egg' issue!)

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:37:24 PM  Show Profile
lots of fun quotes all throughout this magazine .. let us know YOUR favorite!

i really like this one from Margaret Thatcher:

"The rooster may crow, but it's the hen that delivers the goods."

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:40:26 PM  Show Profile
OH!!! and another one .. and oh how TRUE!

by, of course, someone as wonderful as Mother Theresa:

"Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person."

tell us of an experience you have had using this very philosophy!

visiting a nursing home to see no one in particular .. but stopping to speak to strangers, to cheer their day, to smile and tell them they are remembered.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  04:40:49 AM  Show Profile
I like the rooster may crow but it's the hen that delivers the goods! So true! LOL

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  06:41:12 AM  Show Profile
eggs yummy eggs. Our family tradition for Christmas Eve is to make 3 or 4 different types of quiches for the evening meal. What's left over is for breakfast on Christmas morn. We usually make a cheese quiche, onion and mushroom quiche, crawfish quiche, and a crab quiche. All are so yummy. Ooops, I forgot, we also make a spinach quiche. So, that makes 5. They actually taste better the next morning....kinda like cold pizza or cold spaghetti.

I'll be waiting for the postman today!! I don't think I've waited for something to come in the mail like I'm waiting for these mags.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  07:15:45 AM  Show Profile
i was intrigued by the FOOD STORAGE PROGRAM article by maryjane .. she was a child during the 'atom-bomb' era when we were told to 'store food' in case of an attack .. oh lordy! i remember all those atom bomb drills at school where we would get under our desks or line up against a wall in the hallway! anyone else have those memories? WELL .. everything OLD is NEW again! we are now being told by Homeland Security .. the importance of 'storing food' in case of a natural or terrorist disaster! and how many of us has actually done that????

maryjane says that her mom had an instictual desire to store food .. like a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter. And she was a 'waste not .. want not' type of momma too. Maryjane talks about how 'planning' comforted her in times of war .. and don't we want to give that comfort to our own children today .. without scaring them, of course! I love the reply that a pediatrician gave to a pessimistic comment at a meeting maryjane attended in the 1980's ... The question was: "Why bother? We can't stop the madness." ... The good doctor replied: "If the unthinkable happens, I want to be able to turn to my children and say, "I did everyhting I could." Now the gift of the feeling of SECURITY is a might powerful and long-lasting gift to give to our children. Something they will carry with them the rest of their days and if they have the 'gift' .. they can pass it on to their children.

What a wonderful way to 'store up' on 'security/comfort' foods than to have a supply of maryjane's packaged foods. Be sure to get these wonderful 'magalogs' to see photos and recipes and tips and ideas and insipiration!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  9:31:03 PM  Show Profile
EGG TOSS: pair off in twos. parners line up in two rows facing each other. every player on one side tosses a raw egg across to their parner. after each successful catch, players step backward one stp, adding to the difficulty of the next catch. this is repeated unti lall but one egg is broken. the ocuple with the last unbroken egg wins a prize, usually an easter basket full of decorated chocolate eggs.

didn't we all play this when we were children. do you still play it at family easter gatherings?

what other 'egg games' did you play?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  9:38:52 PM  Show Profile
so much great information in the HOME SAFE HOME section of this issue! Fibers and Fabrics: permanently moth proofed ... under Food and Gardening .. grow ancient grains ... and community garden. Home Care: no more dishes in the sink! (you'll have to get this magazine to read of a great solution to this age-old problem!)
AND .. you will want to know MaryJane's recommendation for safely cleaning bathroom sinks and bathrubs. this product is free of chlorine, perfumes and dyes .. it's been around since 1887. Its only ingredient is calcium carbonate. Can you guess what it is? And under Personal Care: massage for health and healthy chances. And with valentine's day approaching .. read what MaryJane suggests as a great valentine gift for our husbands! Pet Care: dog bones .. and Home office: Out of the wilderness.

keep those comments coming .. will try and post a picture of the prizes tomorrow! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  04:37:52 AM  Show Profile
I don't have that issue but will take a guess, is it baking soda?

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  08:34:05 AM  Show Profile
june bug ... NOPE! keep a-guessin' .. it is a product sold in stores. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  09:07:35 AM  Show Profile

here t'is .. The Art of the Egg issue of MaryJane's magazine!!!

-------------------------------------------

o.k. .. someone tell me .. is this a hen or a rooster and how can you tell without turning that sucker upside down and peeking??

--------------------------------------------

that beautiful photo of the vintage apron with a pocket full of fresh eggs!

----------------------------------------------

the yummy frittata that i wrote of above

------------------------------------------

The Barron Flour Mill

============================================

look no further for what to make for all the loved ones in your life ... if you hurry .. you can get the package mix for Organic Fudge Cookies w/White Chocolate Chips!!!

===========================================

and .. oh .. ha! .. can you guess what THIS is?
Hint: i have eaten my weight in them since Christmas!!!

===========================================

one of the ba-jillion beautiful photographs in MaryJanes Farm magazine!!!!!

==========================================

and .. if you can bear to cut up your magazine (or maybe color-copy it? hmmmmmmm .. not sure whether or not it is copyrighted?) .. what a fabulous picture to frame and give to your mama .. or own daughter for either valentine's day or mother's day!!!!!!!!

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 27 2006 09:10:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  11:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone! Great idea, Frannie, to color copy the beautiful mother/daughter picture from the egg issue ... and we got it from an antique postcard (just one of our many collections here at the farm!), so feel free to go ahead and copy it for your next framing project!
Love,
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  12:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Bon Ami! The cleanser is Bon Ami!!

How did I know......BECAUSE MY MAGS CAME IN AND I'VE BEEN READING NON STOP!!

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  1:03:28 PM  Show Profile
I know that you, Frannie, said we were starting on "The Art of the Egg" issue, but I have to do things in order and am going through the previous issue....at the same time as the egg issue....well, I'm multi tasking and thumbing through ALL the issues. That may not be multi tasking but ADHD.

The pics of the eggs are beautiful. We have several different breeds of laying hens and get a rainbow of colors. When new customers buy eggs they always think we've dyed them. Then they ask what we feed the chickens to make the shells different colors. Some even wonder what the egg looks like inside....as if the yolk is going to be a shade of green or blue.

The story on p. 4-5 about the hawk trying to get the chicken is precious. It's so true that our hens look to us for protection sometimes. If I'm outside and a big, gloomy shadow passes over, the chickens all run to where I am or run to their coop. They also see our dog as their protector, too. Many of them will scratch and peck where the dog is laying down. Glory, our Sheltie / mini Collie, has bitten many a tail feather of hawks when they swoop down after one of the hens. We haven't lost one yet....lots of injuries, but no losses.

Oh, I'm going to curl up with a cup of coffee and these mags for a bit longer. So nice!

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  11:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Just how does she get such perfect photos? Even the ones you have scanned for us are simply great, I love the photos, makes you feel like you are right there!

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  4:18:15 PM  Show Profile
o.k. girls over at the farm .. who is the marvelous photographer for all these photos in the magazines and books?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  4:21:59 PM  Show Profile
oh yeah! catherine .. your magazines arrived! now .. did i fib? NOT!!! isn't it like having more maryjane BOOKS! sue .. i actually took a photograph with my camera .. don't have my printer with scanner hooked up yet.

catherine YES!!! bon ami ...

o.k. .. how many of you other farmgirls are going to be treating yourself to these splendiferous mags?

and oh dear gawd! i ate my LAST attitude bar last night and am having WITHDRAWAL .. will order more tomorrow!!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  10:34:55 AM  Show Profile

in this earlier mazine .. maryjane called her 'bakeovers' .. TARTE TIAN .. but the method of making them are the same .. just the name changed .. more farmgirl-ish i do believe.

MaryJane tells us:

You'll need one skillet. you'll be able to make hundres of different dinners and desserts. A non-stick skillet that is rounded and deep (like a work) with about and 8 inch diameter. MARYJANE sells a most wonderful one on her web-site .. with a handle that can go INTO the hot oven .. it's on my 'wish list'!

THEN .. choose from a Mary Jane Bakeover tropping to match your choice of veggies, or fruit. MaryJane does most of the work for us with these mixes!!!!

The fun, easy part is for us to do. You can add grated or cubed cheese, fish, tofu or any deboned meat toyour veggies. To fruit, you can add a layer of cream cheese (OH YUM!) PIck your favorites and be creative . because with these mixes .. they all work!

After you've chopped or sliced the veggies or fruits .. saute' them for 3 to 5 minutes in your skillet, then place one of the mixes on top like a pie crust.

After you skillet is in the oven for 20 minutes at 425 degrees, flip the contents upside down ont a plate and enjoy! these are not only delicious they look grande!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club' Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page