Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club' Next Topic
Page: of 11

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  04:34:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nancy, you made me blush.......I've got many book ideas stuck in my head, it's just making the time to put them all down. Welcome to the group by the way!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  08:43:39 AM  Show Profile
sue .. i adore your country pleasures .. and what sweet words you had to say about 'moi' .. thank you! thank you! .. i, too, have bookmarked it and will check in every day or two to hear your words of wisdom and your stories! yep! sounds like a book or newspaper column should be in the works! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  3:48:17 PM  Show Profile
It's been raining all day....I'm about to brew some tea and curl up with a magazine.....a MaryJane magazine!!

I am so thankful for MaryJane being introduced to me by way of her book and even more thankful for the road it's led me on that has brought me to this site and you farmgirls. I've mentioned this in another thread but I want to say it again.....I feel so at home here. I have really grown in my creativity and have started so many new projects. Most of all I have grown in joy. Not just the joy y'all's blogs and threads bring me but the joy of returning back to the things I love. My circle of friends are all non-country type and our homeschool group is the same. I have often felt guilty of "wasting my time" on my "hobbies"....like they weren't really important and I should be doing other things. Well not anymore, baby!! I have no guilt and make no excuses for doing all the things I love. I'm happy and my girls are happier, too....they've had little projects to finish but now, WOW! They work on something everyday....this whole experience has led to Nicole starting her soap business and doing quite well for a teenager and now I think I'm gonna take the plunge and turn my little farm into a small business....One Acre Farm. I'll post the details later under the entrpreneurship (sp?) topic.

Again, thanks for sharing a part of y'all's lives with me and the other farmgirls.

My tea is ready and that spot on the sofa is calling my name.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  6:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, That sounds like a wonderful way to spend the Afternoon!!

I have been flippin thru the "Art of the egg issue".....
Does anyone have a food chopper like the one on Page 92? I could kick myself so hard. I seen one of these at the local 2nd hand place for $5 and I passed it up What was I thinking....

I also want to try the recipe for French Chocolate Silk ice cream on page 95. I got an electric ice cream churn at a yard sale last fall...Time to put it to use. We might just have Chocolate silk ice cream,strawberry's & Heart fudge brownies for Valentines day

~~Bridge's Boutique~~

Edited by - Bridge on Feb 16 2006 2:51:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  7:28:11 PM  Show Profile
Catherine and all the rest of you farmgirls- I agree, we need this encouragement and it is often hard to come by in our day to day lives...even if there are other farmgirls out there they are sometimes hard to find. It is so nice to know that whatever project I am working on I can pop on here and share it with someone who will really appreciate the time and care I put into it- rather than looking at me like I am crazy for buying organics, or baking my own bread, or knitting socks. I love going out to the farm, or picking up one of the magazines and being reminded that hard work is GOOD and FUN and that I ought not spend all my time and money trying to avoid it! Just jump right in and do the hard work and feel your arms, hands, spirit getting stronger. Take the time to sit a spell, and make something for a friend at least once a week- even if it is a simple postcard or pincushion. I may not have the money or time to spoil myself often- but I can definetely spoil my friends with little handmades and homecooked foods and postcards. The wonderful thing is that every few days when I open my mailbox there is a package or letter, or some seeds from a farmgirl who is spoiling me. Now that just feels like home no matter how far away from each other we are! And someday I hope that we can gather at my house, pick flowers from my farmgirl garden and meet face to face...
Be Well, Rebekka

Edited by - Rebekka Mae on Feb 10 2006 7:29:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  2:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Ditto Catherine, thanks to MJ and all of you, I've finally learned to make the time for crafts and such, and to pass on the farmgirl spirit. This place is a second home and such a cozy one! Thanks to all of you! Hugs!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  05:38:10 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Gals!!

I've thumbed through the 6 magazines I have received and have devoured 2 from front to back. They are so relaxing and fulfilling of a read. The pictures are beautiful and the stories spun are wonderful.

Frannie, are we starting on a new mag yet? I need to put a little number on the fronts of the mags so I know what order they were published.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  2:53:27 PM  Show Profile
That is a really good idea about the little numbers, Catherine!!

I'm getting the post-its right now!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  5:59:36 PM  Show Profile
Ok I'm browsing the Egg issue........
Check out page 120.............

Using a jello mold or angelfood pan to make a pretty centerpiece is just the pefect idea for the upcoming spring holidays!!
The daffodils are pretty, but tulips would be very nice also!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

HollyDee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Holly
Coburg Oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  10:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, We have the same stove. I think. I knew when you turned me on to the reading room and replied so nicely to my probably futile attempt at back issues that I would really enjoy your point of view. Thank You and have a great day!!!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  1:37:29 PM  Show Profile
hey miz holly .. you found it .. oh yeah! i have a little 'pile-ette' of treasures sitting here waiting to be photographed .. these are just the 'beginnings' of the GRANDE PRIZE someone will win ... your name goes in the basket for every posting you make about something in maryjane's magazines ... (oh and i am a sneaky little thang .. sometimes i'll toss a name in TWICE if the posting goes on and on and tells some of your own stories!!!) so far, there is a little vintage white apron .. an olde BALL BLUE BOOK .. Guide to Home Canning and Freezing .. a paperback vcookbook called: THE FABULOUS EGG Cookbook ... (in honor of the EGG issue) ... i'm trying to find prizes that somewhat relate to articles in maryjane's magazines .. and us country-lovin' FARM girls ... (actual or wanna-be!) oh .. and i've tossed in two PATTERNS from my collection .. one is a ragdolly called: Frannie and Sidekick .. i just HAD to get this one when i found it! .. and a sweet little 'stitchery pin kit' pattern AND kit .. so cute! will take pics soon and post them ... and remember .. these are just the 'tip of the iceberg'!!! sooooooooooo ... get those magazines out .. and do ORDER them if you have not already .. i promise you .. the prizes will be the 'icing on the cake' ... IF you are the winner! the contest will go on and on (as will the prizes) until we have reviewed all of Maryjane's Magazines. IF you don't have them .. but want to give us some feedback on the 'snyopsis' of the articles that anyone posts .. that counts toward your name in the basket too! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  2:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, so glad you're back from technical difficulties. All those goodies are so stupendous!!
But, even if there weren't prizes I'd still love this little reading club. It's almost like homework....I have to read it for the discussion....so, it's not just relaxin', it's work, too!!! At least, that's what I tell my family when I so rarely sit down....I'm doin' my schoolwork!!

On p. 120 in "The Art Of The Egg" issue is a picture of eggs in an angel food cake pan with flowers in the center. What a precious idea. Ever since I saw the flowers in the chicken feeders (in her book) I've used more of my utilitarian type things for decorating. I like the eggs in the pan because I keep a lot of eggs out on the counter during the week and this would look so cute.

On p. 121 are some delightfully "nature printed" eggs. My girls and I love doing leaf prints and pressing flowers and tree bark rubbings, so this is right up our alley. We've also been interested in experimenting with natural dyes and this little project will be just perfect.....boiled eggs, panty hose hold leaf or flower on egg, let eggs soak in mixture of water, onion skins, turmeric and vinegar....VOILA!! Beautiful "nature printed" eggs. Since some of our chickens lay tinted eggs, I think I'll try some other natural dyes like blueberries for our bluish tinted eggs and raspberries for our pinkish tinted eggs and I need something for our greenish eggs.....maybe broccoli? Any suggestions?

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  3:36:33 PM  Show Profile
oh miz catherine .. two little slips in the basket with your name on them for those two great reminders. i conce saw 'wrapped candy' in those little chicken feeders with lots of holes on both sides ... i bought the next one i found in an antiques shoppe and each season, i paint it a different color and fill it with wrapped candies of the season or holiday!

and i've done the nature print eggs .. first saw this idea in "matha's" book and loved it! and oh lordy! i do want some more arucauna chickens (been so long .. i'm not sure i even spelled it right!) a but after the last time we had them (in colorado) and had olde english sheepdogs that used to chase them and EAT them if they caught them .. i don't want to go there again! wish i could find somewhere locally to buy them!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  4:02:10 PM  Show Profile
photos of the prizes in the basket so far:

"Sunday Best" Apron .. in angel wing WHITE

===================================================

BALL Blue Book .. The Guide to Home Canning and Freezing
1982 edition .. tells ya' everything you need to know!
full of good tips and recipes too!
These are someof the topics covered in this book:

Learning About Canning
Two Methods of Canning
A Guide to Canning Equipment
Jar Estimating
Garden Planning Guide
Canner's Planning Gujide
Methods to Avoid
Altitude Chart
How to Count Processing Time
Acid Foods,
Pickles & Relishes
Jellies & Semi-Soft Spreads
Low Acid Foods (Meats, Poultry, Seafoods, etc.
Special Diet
Calorie Counter
Problem Solver Guide
Freezing
Glossary of Canning & Freezing Terms
=============================================

in honor of maryjane's EGG edition magazine .. here is the FABULOUS EGG BOOK ... (i don't think it answers the age olde question: which came first .. the chicken or the egg? though!)

a little sumpthin' from the book: "Where in the world the eggs we use for cooking first came from is open to debate. Both India and chna boast ancient records telling of the taming and breeding of various jungle fowl which finally gave us chickens as we know them today.

As early as 1500 B.C. the Chines bred chicekns for both sport and food. Cockfighting, a cruel sport, was a great pastime in ancient China. Prize-bred roosters were thrown into stonelined pits to fight to the death. Thissport, fortunately, has been outlawed in many countries of the world.

While the roosters of this tamed breed of jungle bird were off to the pits ripping each other to shreds,

TYPICAL MALE!!!

the hens were kept captive in cages to lay eggs and produce more roosters. Somewhere along the line, an ancient, wise Chinese stole some of the eggs and ate them; he found them to be a delicious food.

If a hen were left to her own devices, she would probably lay onely one batach of eggs in the spring of the year. She would patiently sit on these eggs, keeping them warm until the fertile eggs produced chicks. Then, she woudl carefully feed the baby chicks until they wer ready to fend for themselves. After this, she would lay no more eggs until the following spring; she would spend the remainder of the year socializing and clucking around the farm yard.

HA! sounds very civil to me!

there are LOTS of recipes in this little book .. this one sounds yummy to me cuz' i doooooooo loves cheeeeeeeze!

WELSH-STYLE EGGS
2 cups mild Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (hm .. i'd use EXTRA SHARP!)
12 eggs
salt to taste
seasoned black pepper (availble in spice section of grocery store)

Butter 6 oven-proof dishes lavishly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the grated Cheddar int he bottom of each buttered dish.
Break the eggs in a saucer and then slip the egg over the surface of the cheese. Take care not to break the yolk. Allow two eggs per dish. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the surface of each dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

I bet a topping of crumbled cooked bacon would be deeelish too!

Place in a 324 degree overn for 20 minutes or until the eggs are fairly firm and just coated over. Serve at once.

Serve with wedges of buttered toast for dipping into the egg yolk and the melted cheese. Sesrves 6.

===================================================

you jus' know i had to have this pattern from Inspired Creations ... FRANNIE AND SIDEKICK .. i love the 'drawings on her dress .. and her little critter friend and big feet!

================================================

this is a really cute little STITCHERY pattern AND KIT!!! you can use this to make up lots and lots of these little pillow pins .. turn them into LARGER pillows by increasing the size of the pattern .. make them as PINS to wear .. as 'patches' for dolly aprons .. or frame them as little wall hangings!

==================================================

Beautiful little hand-crocheted vintage doily and teensy pin pillow from a most wonderful vintage fabric

============================================

remember farmgirls .. these are just the beginning of the prizes .. i do so hope you will order your maryjane magazines TODAY .. if you don't already have them. They WILL become collector's items .. and you WILL see them on E-BAY at BIG prices someday ... sooo .. get yours while they are still so reasonably priced!

and get to posting about all the exciting articles in maryjane's magazine too!

xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  7:18:09 PM  Show Profile
Frannie- Glad to have you back;) Those prizes will surely make one of us farmgirls very happy- esecially the canning book and apron, if that wouldn't get me into the kitchen to put up some of this summers harvest I am not sure what would! I have never canned and I am making it my project to learn how this year.

Catherine- I am so glad you brought up the naturally printed eggs- I am planning to do this with local organic eggs this easter and take them round in tiny little baskets to a nursing home or two and a few friends. I just love dying eggs but it never seemed quite right and since having Miss Bella I haven't been able to bring myself to do it!
I would also love to make a natural egg wreath like in the mag but I am not sure I have the pateince to blow so many eggs-

Another great idea for spring eggs is to try to break them open at the very top so that about 2/3 to 3/4 of the egg is still intack- then you can use the shell as a tiny pot for your seedlings...I am planning to put a dozen in an egg crate in the window to start some of my farmgirl seeds for the garden- I will let you know how it works.

Glad to have you all to 'read' with, hopefully some of you will be at Farm Fair to camp out and peruse the premier issue!

Love, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  06:15:50 AM  Show Profile
FRANNIE, GREAT PRIZES!! For a great magizine.
WEll where to start, one of my favorite mazizine covers is the"plateful" issue, with the little girl alseep in the highchair. And do I love that highchair? yes I do! I wonder where that picture came from? I was looking to see if I could find something about the cover picture but didn't find anything, anyway it sure is cute.
So Many things I could comment on, but today it will be on page 84. "loom keeps traditions alive on farm" This Judy Wilson sounds like a great gal, she sure can make the hours in a day count. She started working on a loom at age 12, I have four grand daughters, they are a wizz on the internet but have never sat at a loom. What a shame, of course neither have I.I was brought up on a farm, but no loom.Anyway, I love her motto, "LIFE IS TOO SHORT AND TOO LONG TO BE UNHAPPY" For those of you who have not seen this magizine, Judy also says,that," Every great society that has crashed began to fall apart when they began to forget where they came from." So I think we are all very blessed to have found this MJ site, because it helps keep us grounded on what is important, and by reading her magizine with great stories to keep on the right path of where a farm girl should be.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  07:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo .. i have a HUGE floor loom .. but it is all in 'pieces' stored under the cabins! WAY TOO BIG for these tiny little rooms! never really made anything on it .. i took classes and bought TWO looms (the smaller one i used and made ONE SCARF .. HA! Hank calls it his THOUSAND DOLLAR SCARF .. cuz' this is something i didn't keep up with .. and OH MY! the SPINNING WHEELS .. i have two wonderful ones .. one is in olde green paint (which sits in my little craft room) i do hope to get back to it someday .. and i had one custom made for me ... it's a travelling spinning wheel .. I NEVER USED IT! It's packed away out in the 'church' somewhere! SOMEDAY .. i hope to get back to both of these olde timey crafts!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  07:44:59 AM  Show Profile
Frannie
Sounds like you have a bit of everything there at the cabin! I would love to see a picture of the cabin, is there one posted someplace?
Will be sending in more readings from the MJ magazine because a person has to hope to win the Frannie prizes, Not to mention that its just a great magazine to read even with no prizes.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  07:58:42 AM  Show Profile
The number 1 thing on my to-do list today is call MaryJane's toll free number and order each and every back issue of the magazine! I can't wait to get my issues and start chiming in. In fact, I'll probably pay the extra fee for the faster shipping, just to get them sooner -- can you tell I'm anxious to read these?!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  08:43:10 AM  Show Profile
you go miz patti .. i promise you .. they will be worth every penny! can hardly wait for you to get lotsa' posts in our 'reading club'. xo

p.s. gonna' put your name in the basket FIVE times for ordering them!

AND .. i'm gonna' put your name in the basket a couple times for our fun $20.00 gift certificate from maryjane's farm products too!

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Feb 20 2006 08:45:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  09:20:41 AM  Show Profile
Hooray -- they're ordered!! Unfortunately, magazines can't be shipped any quicker than "regular", which I should have known from shipping my outdated scrapping magazines in the past. But that's okay -- anticipation is part of the fun.

I've got to tell you all that the young lady who took my order was so sweet, gracious, and helpful -- everything you find so refreshing, and all-too-rare, in customer service nowadays.
What a pleasant little phone call!

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  5:14:46 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, you are too sweet! Thanks so much for putting my name in the drawings. Once it gets a little warmer, I'm going to have to make a day trip over to your part of the region and give you a hug in person. I'll wear my overalls and an apron, too!

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  8:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Patti, if you think you're a "happymama" now...just wait until those mags come in!!! OOOOOWWEEEE you'll be dancin' a jig.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  07:54:46 AM  Show Profile
miz patti ... cookies are in the oven .. so hurry .. so they don't BURN a'fore you git here! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile
Girls,
Really like the "sew happy" section of the Back Country Food issue. page 82. I have a sewing machine from my husbands aunts that is just like the one in the magazine., even has the box with all the extra parts. also shows how to thread the ole girl. To think we almost sold it when we took there house apart after they passed. so glad we kept it, and now with the help of the info in this magizine I may just get it up and running.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club' Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page