Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club' Next Topic
Page: of 11

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  06:23:17 AM  Show Profile
Yipee!! I'll be ordering the back issues and the current issue of the mag. Birthday gift from Moma. Frannie, get ready to add my name a whole bunch of times.

Well, regardless of the treasure give away, it will be fun to chat here about the mags and stuff.

Angels in my life.....my mother, Moma, is definitely my number one angel on earth. She was a single mom from the time I was 11. Absolutely a fantastic woman.....smart, wise, spunky, fun, and unconditionally loving. I needed that unconditional part a bunch growing up!

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  07:31:43 AM  Show Profile
Catherine .. Moma's are truly a girl's best friend! I didn't have a Moma .. but had some wonderful 'auntie' substitutes! And . this made me a 'best friend' Moma to my girls! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  2:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, you always bless me.....even in little ways. I know Moma is really spelled Momma and somewhere back in my early posts somewhere in one of the gillion topics I made mention of it.....really just so no one would think I didn't know how to spell Moma. That's sweet of you to use my spelling.

Another of my angels is my grandmother, Nanny. She was the rock of this family....definitely a matriarch....good, Southern stock. Oh the most wonderful stories I could tell. I'm sure I'll get them out....I just overflow with tears when I think about her....Still after almost 2 years, I still ache for her.

I know "they" say time will heal. I'm not so sure. I think it just gets different....I still miss my sister and think of her often and she was killed in a plane accident 26 years ago.

Hey, I'll be puttin' my birthday loot in the bank today and ordering my mags!!! Yipee!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  07:56:33 AM  Show Profile
dear catherine .. i so look forward to you sharing the stories of your family. i remember your posting about your 'moma' and the spelling .. i think it is very dear! and my Nannie will always remain dear to my heart .. earlier in life .. it seemed that only children died in our family .. a 14 year old cousin (Mabel) who died before i was born .. but i often heard stories of her .. a 14 year old cousin (Catherine Jane) who was like a little sister to me .. i was just 16 at the time .. and it was devastating .. i will always think of her as a child .. bittersweet how aging stops at an early death. A nephew who died at 14 .. that was about 25 years ago and thank god that was all .. but during this entire time .. not one adult died .. it seemed to be a curse and when my girls turned 14 .. i watched them like a 'moma' hawk until they turned 15. please share your nanny and sweet sister with us when the time is right for you.

and OH YEAH! on getting the magazines .. you will enjoy them as much as MaryJane's wonderful book! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  10:53:11 PM  Show Profile
going to start sharing another issue of maryjanes farm magazine when i get back from ohio ... sooooooo .. order those mags right away .. i SWEAR .. it's like having another BOOK from maryjane! TREAT YOURSELF!!!

(i'll post the prize box so far .. sometime tomorrow ... remember .. your name goes in the box everytime you post about an article .. for a drawing for a very nice box of treasures! AND .. while you do not have to have the magazines .. just read the postings and comment on them or tell a story in the theme of the story .. and your name goes in the basket ... but .. again .. do yourself a huge favor .. order the magazines!

and girls .. truly do order maryjane's farm products .. as a special way of saying thank you and letting her know how much we appreciate her and all she has brought to our lives .. we can support her business (and enrich our own lives) by buying the wonderful foods and other goodies on her web-site).

we all 'give gifts' to friends and family .. and what better way than to gift them with maryjane products .. it helps finance maryjane's farm .. improves our friend's lives .. and such an EASY way to shop for gifts! keep a supply on hand to give as gifts when you least expect it! they make fabulous 'hostess gifts' .. and when you create something with one of her packaged foods for a pot luck dinner party .. take the WRAPPER with you (along with some cards with maryjane's web-site address on it) and display it beside your pot luck dish.

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 14 2006 10:55:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  05:26:41 AM  Show Profile
Okay girls..I better jump in here and share my stuff! I LOOOOVE MJF
magazine and her book...I'll juggle grocery $$ to get them . I have them all..'cept the Premiere ..but I keep waiting and hoping to find one! It is hard to pick a favorite article out of her mags..they are all so wonderful..but was particularly pleased with the letter published on page 3 about going to the farm fair and the tent houses cuz that was written by me!! I was blown away that they used it as kind of an intro to the article on the first Farm Fair (which was beyond awesome!)It's in her book, too! Okay..I'll go on to other things now......I do love the Simple Solutions /Seven Wonders section..especially about the Root Cellars in this issue we are discussing! I want to put in a root cellar soooo bad at our new place that I can taste it! (It tastes like dirt! .) I have learned soooo many things..hints and ideas and information from the Home Safe Home and the Farmhouse News articles and clippings. I also love MaryJane's photos..the ones she does herself..but also the ones of her...she really is petite and pretty! Well....that's all for now...and Frannie..do I get my name in for each thing chatted about or each time I post !! TEE HEE

Blessings..Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  05:39:58 AM  Show Profile
OOOPS..there's more I forgot about..I like reading about the people who get to attend the Pay Dirt Farm School and hearing about why they have come..and what and how they hope to put their "education" to use. I think that it is very important that whatever knowledge and information we have about how to keep the organic farming/homestead lifestyle alive..to pass it on to our kids and grandkids..who think all food comes from the store and out of packages. Thank you MaryJane for your passion and sharing it with us so we can learn and pass it on!

Blessings, Mumsie

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  11:18:33 AM  Show Profile
What a honor Mumsie, to have your written words in one of Mary Janes publications, a dream come true for sure! I'll have to look it up again! I too enjoy the Pay Dirt Farm schools, can't imagine learning first hand from our queen bee, what a treat that would be!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  12:23:57 PM  Show Profile
Mumsie (or anybody else in the general Spokane/CdA area who can help me out),

Can anyone help me find a place where I can buy a copy of MJ's magazine. I live in the Spokane Valley and work out of CdA. I made a special trip to Huckleberrie's on the South Hill yesterday to buy a magazine as somewhere on this website it said you could get them there. (I did see the bulk MJ food products). I search and searched but couldn't find it. I couldn't find anyone to ask or I would have.

The website did say something about Border's (north side) and Auntie's (downtown) having it, but does anyone know of anyplace more out my way?

Thanks in advance! Karin
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  8:59:26 PM  Show Profile
Karin...I actually have gotten all my MJF mags at a little local grocery/hardware store in Springdale, WA.. about 4 miles from our place..but I'm thinkin I saw it at Barnes and Noble last issue. The new one should be coming out in about 2 weeks+/- a few days. If you can't seem to find one locally..(but I think you will..it is becoming sooooo popular) I would be glad to pick one up for ya..and pop it in the mail. Let me know Back issues are only available thru MJF..check it out. Blessings, Mumsie

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  04:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Walmart has them, that is where I get mine, but can't wait for the new issue!!

Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  11:30:48 AM  Show Profile
Some more ramblin' about this issue..the Farm Fair is really a wonderful experience...and I know even though many of you farmgirls can't make it...we know you're there in farmgirl spirit, and that it's that spirit that keeps us connected! I had the opportunity to meet and talk w/ MJ and even had my pic taken with her! She truly inspires me with her passion and grit. I also was able to (finally!) attend the Farm Chicks show this past fall after trying to get there the past 3 shows! And I did get to meet and chat with Teri and Selena...and even ran into some old friends who I didn't realize were farmgirls, too.! If you get the opportunity to come this way and attend MJF Farm Fair this year or a Farm Chick Show...you will love it..and the beauty of the Palouse region where MJ lives is breathtaking!! I hope to meet some of you there sometime!! Blessings, Mumsie

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  08:00:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey gals!
I've placed my order for the mags....can't wait!!!

I've read MJ's book front to back several times....such a warm, fuzzy read. I find myself going to her family stories....so precious. The stories of her dad remind me of my grandfather...always helping neighbors and making sure their stuff is in working order. What a sweet example of a servant leader.

I'm hoping to go to a Farm Fair. Each time my hubby sees me reading he asks if I really want to go....would we all go....would he be accepted....etc...I tell him that I'm sure all farmboys are accepted and if not, then he can explore other places while the girls and I are at the farm. I don't know if he'll really let us take the trip or not...but what fun if I got to meet all y'all.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  09:17:13 AM  Show Profile
catherine ... your honey would find wonderful places to roam all through the moscow area .. tell him to hook up with a rafting trip! grande fun! i did it a few years ago with some friends from moscow and WHAT a memorable fun time!! backpacking or hiking is wonderful all through idaho too! xo

i'm hoping to get to moscow sometime this year .. but we have several other trips planned .. sooo .. i'll have to squeeze it in! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  09:47:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cajungal!
Tell your hubby that of course farmboys are welcomed at Farm Fair. There are lots of men that come, and kids too. We think we have something for everyone! See my report on last year's Farm Fair at http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1045&SearchTerms=farm,fair to get an idea of what's it's all about. Hope to see you here this year!

Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  11:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh my- I just got The Art of the Egg and Shoulder to the Wheel issues -Frannie take note;)- both amazing! I love Mary Jane's stories about her loving Daddy in the Shoulder to the Wheel issue- especially his 'tricks' to get the kids and neighbors to laugh. Her family sounds just wonderful and the traits that Mary Jane says she admires most about both her Mom and Daad are evident in everything she shares- food, ideas, stories. What a legacy! The Butters sure knew how to have a good time and I am insisting on many campouts this summer for our little family- down time is what we need, no more rushed car trips across two states for a weekend away. We will find places to explore close to home this summer!
Love,Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  3:48:41 PM  Show Profile
I love that pic. in the book on p. 340 of MJ's mom ans aunt...adorable!! I adore outings with my kids. I live for campouts! We usually travel within 2 hours any direction of where we live and find great state parks and national parks, beach camps, lakes, etc... I think I like the perculated campfire coffee in the mornings. I know I really love the absence of laundry and housecleaning! Hubby gets like a bear and sleeps the whole time...just what he needs, too.

The pic. reminds me of my girlfriend Cristal and I. We are pros at picking a picnic spot, packing tons of food, and stuffing the kids in the cars and taking off. What great memories!!

Blessings!
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  6:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Wednesday .. we'll start discussing articles from the ART OF THE EGG issue. will take some pics and post them too. The cover is beautiful .. has blue/white agate bowls and lots of brown and some beautiful pristine white eggs! There are so many photographs that can, indeed, be FRAMED as art for our farmhomes! Early on in the magazine, MaryJane tells us that it is her goal to produce the magazine without ads. The goal of the farm is to pay for the magazine by feeding people healthy organic food and to share with us ... conscientious people who are in business to make our lives safer and healthier.

Remember .. we must support MaryJane's farm and in so doing we will be good to ourselves at the same time. Sooooooo .. IF we are to see this wonderful magazine continue .. go to the website and order some MaryJane products for yourself, for your family and for your friends!

oh my .. just wait until you see the sweet little apron with the pocket filled to the brim with fresh eggs right from the nest!

AND .. with Easter but a few months away .. it is not too early to start sharing some ideas for decorations and recipes using the "Art of the Egg".

hurry and order this magazine if you don't already have it!

o.k. .. i'm too excited to wait until tomorrow .. gonna' share the FRITTATA recipe that is on page 8:

Firttatas are in the omelet family, but easier. It's simple ... eggs and filling. Most recipe books have you start a frittata on the top of the stove until it's almost set and then finish it under the broiler. Instead, with this recipe, you will start your frittata in a skillet (you can get a GREAT one from MaryJane's web-site!!!!). Cover it and then remove it from the heat until the top is completely cooked. You can flip it like a pancake .. and try MaryJane's frittata dry mix. Made with dehydrated organic eggs and potatoes, you can add almost anything you want, or just serve it as is!

o.k. .. here's the recipe:

Saute your choice of herbs, onions and garlic in some olive oil in a skillet until softened. Meanwhile, lightly beat six eggs and add any extras you might want .. maybe 1/2 cup grated cheese. Pour mixture into the skillet. Stir lightly until the eggs start to set. Once the bottom is firm, use a thin spatula to gently lift the edge closest to you. As you do this, tilt the skillet slightly toward you until uncooked egg runs underneath. Return the skillet to a level position and let it cook a bit. Repeat until the egg on the top is no longer runny. Turn off the heat and cover with a lid. Let it sit until the top is set. Now, run a spatula around the edge of the skillet to loosen the frittata and invert it onto a serving plate. Serve warm or chilled. AND .. they are delicious for breakfast, lunch or dinner!!!

Share with us any other 'ingredients' you think sounds great as a frittata filling.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  06:35:35 AM  Show Profile
haven't gotten the camera out yet .. but wanted to share some advice from mj's magazine about FRESH eggs: first and foremost .. she says .. healthy eggs come from healthy chickens. she goes on to advise us how to find out how fresh your eggs are: submerge them in a bowl of cool water. The freshest ones are the eggs that sink and lie flat on their sides. (lots more good info on that too .. but ya' gotta' get the magazine!!) AND .. di dyou know that eggs should never be washed before they are stored? The water washes off the natural coating that keeps harmful micro-organisms out. BUT .. before they are handled in the kitchen .. they should be thoroughly washed! Now THAT is something i just never thought to do .. but will from now on! AND .. in that same vein .. never stir cooked eggs (such as scrambled eggs) with the same fork that you use to blend them. UH-DUH! what fantastic advice .. and again .. i never thought of that! it's a wonder i never had salmonella!

and really important advice: Since egg quality starts on the farm, it's best to know where your eggs start off. (more great advice in this article)!!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  06:38:25 AM  Show Profile
oh my! and the next few pages are filled with beautiful photos of dishes made with maryjane's products! Organic Black Bean Flakes .. Organic Pinto Bean Flakes .. Organic Black Bean Corn Cakes w/Honey .. Organic Buttermilk Biscuits .. Organic Chili Batter Bread ... Organic Garlic Pesto Fry Bread .. Organic Jonnycakes ... Organic Shepherd's Panbread .. Organic Skillet Focaccia Bread w/Parmesan .. and so many more!

honestly, i can't imagine any farmgirl not having everyone of these magazines .. i would turn in all my other magazine subscriptions for just this one!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  06:42:26 AM  Show Profile
oh my .. and don't these get your mouth a-watering!!! Shirred Eggs Florentine ... Bakeover Egg Puff ... and there are 'recipes' for egg facials .. the best way to hard-boil an egg .. using the egg shells for 'calcium' for your chickens .. and to feed your plants with.

o.k. farmgirls .. those of you with this issue .. let's hear some of your favorite articles from this issue .. and OH YES! those of you that don't have it .. order it right away! if you treat yourself to even one issue per month .. you are doing yourself such a great favor .. and we surely all deserve this much!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:15:14 AM  Show Profile
That's a good idea Frannie, I may just try to treat myself to one issue a month, shouldn't break the bank!! LOL Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  1:27:39 PM  Show Profile
I done it!! I done it!!!

I treated myself to all the back issues of MJF!!!
I'm so excited I could do cart wheels down the hallway!!
(better not, I might break my neck)

I can't wait to get them!!!!

I sure do wish there was a way to get a copy or reprint of the first issue!!!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  2:50:26 PM  Show Profile
i wonder how expensive it would be for mj to have that premier issue re-issued???

maybe if bunches and bunches of us committed to buying it .. money up front thingie???

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  5:10:12 PM  Show Profile
I sure would commit up front!! I have posted on quite a few sites that I am in search for one and willing to pay a good price. But no luck so far!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic MaryJane's Magazine 'reading club' Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page