Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Outpost
 How far and how often are you willing to go?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Outpost: Previous Topic How far and how often are you willing to go? Next Topic
Page: of 2

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  06:02:55 AM  Show Profile
I was just thinking about this today. When I lived in Western NY, I, nor anybody I knew, wanted to drive anywhere longer than 15 minutes unless it was for a vacation. People hated having to drive the 40 minutes between Buffalo and Niagara Falls for an appointment or to pick somebody up at the airport or what-have-you. To travel to another county just to attend some event or see an historic site - very unlikely unless it was on the way to their vacation destination.

When I lived in Utah and now in Idaho, people here think NOTHING of driving 2 to 4 hours to go do stuff for a day. Folks are willing to drive 6, 8, 10 hours to get to a camping spot for a weekend or to go see the fiddlers contests around the state or arts and crafts shows or just to hunt for rocks! The difference in attitudes between the two areas of the country are sooo different.

What are the travel habits in your area?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  08:49:56 AM  Show Profile
Just to get to town is a 20 min drive. I have a 45min on top that drive to a major town and a 2 hour drive to my daughters in Moscow ID. I have lived in places that you had 1 hour drive to get to a grocery and I have lived in places that you would walk across the street to get grocerys.

I love road trips and jump at the chance to drive anywhere. I try to do a couple a year in the summer to Spokane or Cour'dlane and also to Missoula its about a 3 hour drive and I just go to go.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  08:56:25 AM  Show Profile
I live 33 miles from Spokane where I work, so I drive alot. When we lived in Portland I worked in Salem so again, I was commuting 100 miles round trip. I like the driving, it is my quiet time with no husband/son/dog talking to me, I don't like the environmental effect. Because I work odd hours I am unable to carpool but I do drive the most fuel-efficient car I can afford - 35 mpg. When DH and I travel I usually do most of the driving. My dad was the same way and my Grandpa drove truck for a living for a while so maybe it is genetic:)
Oh and Lisa - I think part of it is regional geography - if you grew up in the West everything is just further apart and you have to drive
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jan 14 2009 08:57:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  09:08:39 AM  Show Profile
Your question reminds me of a funny story my Mother tells.
She and my Dad were at a family party that was celebrating several Golden Anniversaries among my fathers Siblings. My innocent Auntie asked everyone in the room to share about stories about their weddings and honeymoons so long ago. She started with my Mom. In front of 2 dozen of my Mother's closest friends and family she asked her
"How far did you go on your honeymoon?"
Legend has it, since I wasn't there, that Mom looked at my Dad with a sheepish "I can't let this ripe opportunity pass...Sorry" kind of look and said...
"All the Way!"
Right on Mom!
I heard tell, My Auntie never recovered control of the room or the party after that...

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89

Edited by - chessie on Jan 14 2009 5:13:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  09:30:13 AM  Show Profile
I live in CA and it was the same way in my former hometown. We hated to drive, but I suspect it was the traffic we hated. It's gotten so congested! But since we've moved further north, we are 30 mins either direction to good shopping and eats, and we don't mind the drive at all. It's less traffic, higher speed limit, bigger sky and lots of country to look at, and it's such a comfirmation as to why we moved. Some of our best times are spent on day trips, driving north, into OR, just for the scenery. My family back home just don't get why we spend $ on gas for 'nothing'!

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  09:40:35 AM  Show Profile
I live in town but it is a fairly small town and we just have a small Walmart (no super Walmart) and a grocery store along with the usual gas stations, post office, library, and small stores. There is not a specialty store here so if you want organics or something specific you have to drive at least 30 miles to get to one, but an hour to get to a Walgreens, Kmart, Target, etc. We only go to a larger city every few months, I think last time was October.
When I am pregnant I do use a midwife in the city which takes about 50 mintues to reach. There are some things I am willing to drive far for and some things I am not.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  10:36:52 AM  Show Profile
Lisamarie, I have noticed that disinclination to travel here in WNY too. I started thinking a few years ago how strange it is that I've lived in Rochester all my life and have only visited Buffalo or Syracuse a few times (1.5 hours in either direction).

I think perhaps it's unusual to have 3 cities of roughly the same population so close to each other? We each have our own colleges, musuems, etc., so why do we need to visit the others? But on the other hand, my family used to drive to Niagara Falls a couple of times each year, just to spend the day.

People who move here from other parts of the country always find it strange. Some of them are willing to commute from one of the cities to another, and they think it's strange that we natives think they're strange.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  12:17:04 PM  Show Profile
When I lived downstate where it was very congested people drove all over and didn't think anything about it. As I have been living up north now ,it is a small town and no one wants to drive anywhere. so just within this state the feeling are so different. I think it is just what you get used to doing. The people from downstate will drive up here for a weekend all the time to snowmobile if go 4 wheeling. It is part of what keeps the towns up here going , the travel from them.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  2:50:00 PM  Show Profile
When I lived in Rochester NY I had to go to Buffalo pretty often for work. If my boss went too he always had to stop for a potty break on the way, I guess because of the "big gulp" size soda he always brought along. It made me laugh because being from Utah, we would NEVER stop on a road trip until at least three or four hours had passed. And here in Washington, people are always driving to Seattle, Portland or Spokane on the slightest provocation. Except, of course, in the winter when the passes are usually closed.
Sue in Richland WA
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  3:15:19 PM  Show Profile
I don't think anything about driving 14 hours one way to get to our cabin to stay. I stay there by myself while my husband works out of state. To get cell reception, I have to drive about 20 miles and it is about 35 miles to the closest little town - where I have to get ice, milk, gas, etc. but if I want to go shopping I have to go to Billings - it is about 120 miles away. It's a day trip - leave in the morning and get back in the evening, but I only have to go about once a month. YOu just become more organized - I love it.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  8:43:02 PM  Show Profile
I was born and raised in Texas. We thought nothing of driving 30 minutes to the grocery store and maybe 2 hours to a department store. We drove hours to spend the day at our favorite lake.
Now I live in Missouri and that is where my husband is from. He thinks its insane if I want to REI thats like 25 minutes away to just look around...LOL I agree a regional thing..
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  05:40:23 AM  Show Profile
I find the differing attitudes fascinating. They even differ within the same state.

Amy Grace, you could be right about the geography part. Karen, your little story is hilarious. I can just see the shock on your family's faces! I'm guessing this happened back when sex was never discussed, especially if you're a lady.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  7:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Ha!!! Anywhere we go its a lot of time..we live 3 hours away from the biggest city, 30 minutes from Wal-mart, 20 mins. from any store....so one gets use to traveling anywhere one goes..our families are 7 hours away.....

Farmgirl Sister #368

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  06:04:27 AM  Show Profile
Since this is under the "Outpost" heading, it's got me thinking about travel to hike or camp, and about second homes. My husband's parents have a small cabin about 1.5 hours from our house, and it always seems like a huge pain to go there. But on the other hand, it seems reasonable to us to drive 3 hours, go for a hike in the state park, and drive home on the same day. Perhaps, in general, people are willing to drive longer distances if there's something they want or need that they can't get closer to home.
Go to Top of Page

farmingdoll
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Ann
sonoma valley ca
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  06:41:06 AM  Show Profile
my daughter lives in Fairfield, CA the drive to work takes her 2 hours, thats 4 hours of her day gone to just driving, I don't know how she does it!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  07:04:31 AM  Show Profile
I live way out from anywhere here. I have to plan how I'm going and can't forget anything while I'm out. We're a good hour at least to the other side of Chatt. and even going to church we have to leave 35 minutes just to get there on time. I even have to take a cooler in hotter weather when I go shopping. Ice cream (when I did buy it) would melt before we'd get it home.

I do get so tired of driving so far anymore. It seems to take all day just to go to town. Sometimes I wish we were closer but then I realize we live in the most beautiful area ever and I am so lucky to live here. So I do not travel much.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  07:16:58 AM  Show Profile
When we go weekend camping we try to stick to places under 2 hours away. Only because we want to get there and enjoy ourselves. When we camp for our vacation we've gone 7-8 hours away - sometimes further. Last year we camped at Mammoth Caves and that was quite a haul for us.

Us girls will take day trips that are 3.5 hours away (one way). Just to get away for a nice outing.

But I have to say for my normal day to day activities we stick close to home during the school year. Summer? Look out! We're out and about!

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  10:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
I grew up in Oklahoma and extended family lived in Wyoming and Idaho, so as kids we were used to traveling a LONG way in the summer.

When I lived in Ireland, it would take less time to get from one side of the country to the other than it does for me to get from Southern Idaho to Moscow, Idaho. I thought nothing of traveling to the west coast from Dublin, but my Irish friends wouldn't think of it.

Now we live 20 minutes from a small town and about an hour from a big town. With homeschooling kids, I have to drive for any outings for them.

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  11:33:45 PM  Show Profile
When I lived in New England it was nothing to commute and hour or two to work (each way). Here in Colorado (small town) it's a big deal for people to travel 10-20 minutes.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  7:56:21 PM  Show Profile
I live near St. Louis (on the Illinois side of the river) and I think nothing of driving up to 45 miles or so to go shopping, take in an event, etc. I live less than seven miles from work and I'd like to ride my bike but the streets are so bad (and so are some of the drivers) that I'm afraid to risk it. I had a job once where I drove 48 miles one way; I quit after six weeks because I didn't like driving home at three o'clock in the morning; the distance didn't bother me. (this was before everyone had cell phones). I grew up in the country (now I'm a townee) so I guess I took it for granted that you have to drive a distance to get anywhere. I drove with a friend to Dallas once and that was about as far as I care to drive. I had roomates once who drove to Miami for the weekend--which is about a 24-hour drive, one way. I think they spent less than ten hours in Miami, then turned around and came home. This was back in my college days... I think they were crazy now. I hate to think of how many caffeine pills they took.
Cindy
"Do something every day that scares you"--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  11:49:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm not so sure if it's regional or if it's personal. I've always loved to drive. When I lived in New England we would travel from NH to CT to visit my grandmother for the weekend, and our friends would do the same that live in CT. In FL I worked only 5 min from where I lived so I loved to get out and go on the weekends, but it did seem like forever when it took 5 hours just to get out of the state. In IL I used to commute 1 1/2 hours each way to work. The only thing I didn't like about that I was away from my (then) young DD 12 hrs/day. But I would also think nothing of going from IL to CT 1000 miles for Thanksgiving weekend to spend with my family. I've also driven across country, bottom to top twice (FL TO IL) and across twice (CT to ID). I'm considering flying to KY this summer and driving my parents out here for a visit (about 3 day trip I estimate).
My DH drives to NV to work (when he gets a contact) in the fall and winter. And we are heading to Missoula on Sunday for a bull auction.
So neither of us mind driving anywhere and I'm from back east and he was raised out here in ID.

I love to travel, anyone for a road trip???

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  5:58:03 PM  Show Profile
When I worked in west seneca I lived in Attica it was a half hour to work. When I retired I moved to Blasdell a 5 minute drive to where I used to work. I thought nothing of driving 25 minutes to the store especially when I know some people have to drive hours to the store. Now I can walk to a mall.

Have a nice day.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  7:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I was born and raised in the West, always in rural areas, not any of the larger cities so I have always just taken it for granted that if you wanted something you drove. Right now I have to drive an hour one way just to go to any store. I don't care to drive so if I can order something on the internet I will. I figure the shipping and handling isn't going to be anymore than what I am going to spend in gas and my time. Because we have always live out I have always kept a fairly full pantry. When I buy groceries it is in bulk. 50# flour, 25# sugar, canned goods by the case, etc. I am lucky I found a job as the cemetery groundskeeper, working March through Oct, I don't make as much money as I did when I drove to town to work, but the trade off is worth it to me. Two of my daughters and their families live an hour away, so driving is just part of my life. Our relatives live in Wyo so we drive 12 or 13 hours straight through to see them. I sure wish they would get busy and "perfect" that "beam me up, Scotty" thing, :^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Feb 28 2009 7:31:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  2:00:12 PM  Show Profile
If you mean camping, I'll drive a couple of states. If you mean a meeting, I'll drive an hour or so. The older I get, the worse my night vision gets so I try and limit night driving.

Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  08:40:08 AM  Show Profile
I live two hours away from town.We have a small city here for groceries,even organic a small cobbler shoe store ,coffe shops,bakeries,resturants.But for anything else either I order it or drive for it.One big thing is plants for my job soon wer'e going to change the flower beds and I'll have to go once or twice a week to town 7hr. round trip for plants takes about a month to change about twenty large pots and twelve large flower beds.I commute 45mins each way,but it's beautiful ocean coast half the way then large redwood forests the rest.Whales and thier babies have been spouting lately.I do get road rage with the slow summer tourists that don't pull over at pullouts,and in my big Ford F250 big girl truck I can be intimidating.I also am getting really self-righteous about speeders almost followed one home yesterday to ask her why she thought it was appropriate or safe to drive 70mph on windey Hwy 1 with animals and kids nearby.
I think computer purchasing has been wonderful for me.I can buy my daughter euro-shoes on ebay.I do get intense when I'm in town for my eight stops before two hrs. home when a clerk is slow or not helpful.I'm incredibly focused shopper,have what you need in mind,walk in head straight for store purchase, leave.I wish I could figure out better how to try to get dressier or different clothes.I order 12 pairs of 501 levi's once a year and my husband and I both share them.Dressed is a pair that does have stained knees,my husband complains about this.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  07:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kelley~

GET OUT OF TOWN CHARLIE BROWN!!!!!! Love the name and the intent! lived in Colorado and avid camper so I have many areas I can suggest in the 4 state area.

I've had the same thoughts for months. I've been searching for a trailer for about three month, actually about 4 years. Very serious at this point. Just crossing my fingers something comes up. If anyone one sees a good little trailer out there let me know.

Sign me up, I'm in !!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh so excited Let's roll!

Heather

love, light, & laughter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Outpost: Previous Topic How far and how often are you willing to go? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page