Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 What's your favorite online catalog?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's your favorite online catalog? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  05:04:03 AM  Show Profile
Back in the day when I used to garden extensively, I had my garden planned by this time of year, and the seed catalogs were roaring in. Sometimes I'd get one a day or two before Christmas, but most were in the following weeks.

I'm no longer on their mailing lists because I haven't gardened in the last five years or so, but now that I'm not training outside horses anymore, I have time to perhaps put together a few different gardens.

So tell me; which ones do you like? Who has fast, accurate service, easy to negotiate websites, and (especially) quality products? And which ones would you just say "Get the catalog?" I'm longing for my own organic produce again, and want to put in some perinneals around the yard. My place is sorely lacking attention.

I'd be grateful for your suggestions!

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  06:30:56 AM  Show Profile
I, too, love getting the catalogs. But, I do become a creature of habit...always doing the same thing. The last several years I've stuck with one catalog. I absolutely love the company, Seeds of Change. They specialize in organic seeds and heirloom seeds. They've also branched out into food products. Their catalogs are so beautiful. I let them sit out like a coffee table book. I am mostly a fruit and vegetable gardener and I garden organically....keeping a compost heap, using chemical free grains for my critters so I can use their manure, etc....

The seeds are on the expensive end...upwards of $3 a packet. But, they are certified organic and every seed sprouts.

Actually, I haven't purchased seeds for two years!! Seeds of Change helped me get into saving my seeds. So, my crops have been from seeds I've saved. Another creature of habit thing I do....now that I have all my favorites, I grow all the same things each year...just more of'em.

Another note on organic gardening...I have found that each year my garden gets healthier and resistant to pests. In 2005, I rarely found a pesky bug. Oh, I also try to companion plant and that helps, too.

I'd love to get into perinneals....be my coach!!

Blessings,
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  07:18:21 AM  Show Profile
I had to think about this one because I get so many. Jackson Perkins, White Flower Farm, Ed Hume, Dutch Gardens, Wayside Gardens, Edmunds Roses. They have just started coming in, as I get them I will post more. There is one I can't think of right now that has a ton of organic seeds, plants etc. It's early, I will dig through my pile and see if I can find it. I have ordered from Wayside and White Flower, with good results. If you like roses, Edmunds is a great one. They have wonderful roses that take off easily, plus the owner is DH's half brother .

I let you know what I get and if I get duplicate catalogs, would you like some?

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  09:58:51 AM  Show Profile
Seeds of Change is my favorite because they offer organic and heirloom seeds. I also like Veseys and Burpee. And any of the ones that Anne mentioned are great too. In fact, I love them all! If you love roses then Edmund's is the place to get them. Lots of heirlooms and old fashioned roses. I have a whole stack of seed catalogs beside my chair in the living room that have arrived in the last week. I'm dreaming of spring as I pour over the pages.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  10:15:24 AM  Show Profile
ha! that's an easy one ... MaryJane's Farmhouse!

I don't go to lots of websites .. cuz' it seems when i do .. i end up getting lots of pop-ups .. i think i have to get me one of those 'spyware' packages!

i do check in monthly to see what primitive crafts the girls on Ranting Raven and Crow Soup have conjured up.

SEEDS: i mostly get mine locally from nurseries .. especially like an amish business a couple counties over.

but, yep! maryjane's products keep calling me back and back and back again!

i've ordered TONS of her ATTITUDE bars ... i swear i have to join: AA (Attitude Addicts) .. and have started a little collection of her bake-overs and other organic packaged foods .. and will keep adding to my stash!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  7:24:29 PM  Show Profile
AND SPEAKING OF CATALOGS....the Christmas Season must be oficially done as I recieved my 2006 Seeds of Change catalog in the mail today! Now LLBEan can stop their weekly deluge!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

manda
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

amanda
corralitos cA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  7:41:43 PM  Show Profile
I Love Peaceful Valley Farm and Garden supply -lots of great organic products. I also love Seeds of Change. For home stuff I love The Sundance catalog and Gaiam.
Manda
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  8:07:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh - Burpee seeds also has a good catalog and website. And if we are talking about other catalogs like for home, etc., then my favorites are Pottery Barn, Smith & Hawkins (got a big gift card for them, waiting for the early spring catalog to spend that), Restoration Hardware (love their furniture) and Williams & Sonoma, both the cooking catalog and the home catalog. I guess I am kinda a catalog addict, love to dream big and I get great ideas, even if I never spend a dime with them.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  04:45:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for your ideas and suggestions! I've got quite a few coming now, thanks to your input. I'm really looking forward to it. It's probably going to hurt that I gave up my hotbed and cold frame years ago. I could grow and harden off a lot of seeds in them!

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  09:53:29 AM  Show Profile
You might also want Seed Savers and Worm's Way Worms Way focuses mostly on inside kinds of gardening and hydroponics. They sell bottles of fish emulsion and bat guano

AND for the serious gardener, my favorite is Gempler's. They sell all kinds of gardening things. No seeds, but definitely tools and outside equipment. Our favorite hoe came from here. The edge is so sharp it could cut a finger off. The pruning shears and saws are good too. For picking okra, I order packs of their non latex elbow length gloves. You could do o.k. in hardware stores, but if you want quality and something a little different, give it a try...Gemplers.com They are also MORE than willing to send catalogs to you. We get their big yearly book a little after Christmas. It must be something like 300 pages of stuff!
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  4:23:59 PM  Show Profile
I really like Renee's. I love to browse there catalog.
http://www.reneesgarden.com/
Happy gardening!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  4:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Renee's Garden is my favorite too.

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  4:32:56 PM  Show Profile
Great minds think alike!
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  05:47:56 AM  Show Profile
We order most of our seed for the farm at Harvest Moon http://www.felcopruners.net/index.htmlthey have a huge selection of unusual seed for about everything. They have great prices for the amount of seed you get. There one weak area is tomatoes but there are plenty of tomato catalouges. I also like Jonneys http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

If you are trying a new seed company check out there reputation at
Garden Watchdog http://davesgarden.com/gwd/
The Garlic Lady

http://www.localharvest.org/listing.jsp?id=6792http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  12:59:02 PM  Show Profile
I got my first seed catalog of the season yesterday~~Burpee 2006 and just cant wait to get started planning !! Bring on Spring...Call me ol' fashioned...but I'd rather have a catalog in my hand than trying to see it on-line~~But thats just me....~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  2:56:08 PM  Show Profile
I really like to order my seeds from T&T Seeds. They're located in Manitoba, Canada and specialize in seeds for cold weather climates.
www.ttseeds.com

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  4:51:36 PM  Show Profile
Got some more information on seed and plant catalogs.
Some of my favorites and good sources for some unsual and heirloom plants, etc. Old House Gardens Heirloom Bulbs - kinda expensive but beautiful bulbs of all varieties, plus they have developed and saved many forgotten old fashion ones. www.oldhousegardens.com

High Country Gardens - another good one for drought resistance plants, also has alternatives for grass for lawns that requires little to no mowing and some of them bloom. www.highcountrygardens.com

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - good source for heirloom vegetables that are not hybrid, genetically altered, patented or treated with chemicals. www.rareseeds.com

Here is one I haven't dealt with but comes with good references. Seed Savers Exchange. Apparently they are a nonprofit organization founded in 1975 to preserve heirloom vegetables, flowers and herbs. It is a network of people who save and share seeds. www.seedsaver.org

Thought I would pass on some good information.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  04:19:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, everyone! The first catalog arrived last week, and I stood in the kitchen with a cup of tea and devoured it! It was the Vermont Bean Seed catalog. I'm sad to see they've quit using their beautiful drawings (they looked like old fashioned engravings) but I'm already making a list. There are so many flowers I'd forgotten about, that I feel like I need.

Anne, I appreciate the referral to the heirloom seeds site. I used to buy seeds from Seeds Blum, but was sad to see that business was just too good and poor Jan Blum couldn't keep up. I always had good results from them. There are so many old favorites that I'd like to visit again.

I can hardly wait!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  06:39:10 AM  Show Profile
I havn't got that one yet..I have yet to sit down and have a seed shopping day...I plan to soon..I have started getting alot of catalogs now..That IS sad that Vermont Bean stopped using the drawings..they make that catalog so pretty!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  7:56:20 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe no one has mentioned Territorial Seed co.alot of integrity
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  8:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
I have been pouring through the seed savers catalog. I am having trouble deciding what to get, all thier veggies look so good. I can't believe how many variety of tomatoes they have. It has quickly become my new favorite!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  10:11:23 AM  Show Profile
Sad to hear about Vermont Bean too. I think I actually have a few old catalogs that I saved because of the drawings. Now will have to hold on to them.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Birdsview gal
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Teresa
Concrete Wa
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  07:53:09 AM  Show Profile
It might a West coast type deal but I use both Territorial seed company @territorialseed.com and Victory Seed Company @ victoryseeds.com.
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  12:59:59 PM  Show Profile
I love Nichols in oregon,great service and they ship live plants to Alaska. Really like Veseys in /canada,Johnnys in Maine,also Stokes,inMaine(think).I like Seymours heirloom in Conn. Raintree Nursery in Wash. is great too. For organic fertilizer its
Gardens Alive.I am the catalog queen(my DH says)!
Go to Top of Page

HorseyNut
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Allena
MO
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  07:33:33 AM  Show Profile
I ordered from www.tomatobob.com this year and I have been relly pleased. THey have a catalogue you can order too. I had a pretty good germanation rate on all except one thing. Im going to call today and see if they will send me some new ones. They have many lovely varieties of old fashioned TASTY vegatables. I planted plants I bought three years ago and the tomatoes were just like what you get in the store BLECH! Tough, tasteless, thick-skinned and horrible. I have been heirlooming ever since.

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. - Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  10:59:29 AM  Show Profile
I get a number of different seed and gardening catalogs each year, but I enjoy reading "The Cook's Garden" catalog as well as browsing their website. www.cooksgarden.com

The children's book author/illustrator Mary Azarian, a Caldecott winner too, does the illustrations in the little catalog. If you've never looked at any of her books, Azarian books tend to be rural themed. . . Check out her books, The Farmer's Alphabet and The Gardener's Alphabet, if you haven't!

Emily

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's your favorite online catalog? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page