True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  07:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey Ladies!

I don't know about you but I am SICK AND TIRED of watching the days/months/years tick by feeling like I can't get out and do all the things I want to do.

I am not thinking of a "I have to get to X weight"

What I am thinking of is "I have to get to where I feel healthy!"

I hate waking up in the morning and feeling stiff and sore because my weight makes sleeping in a comfortable position other than on my side almost impossible.

I also want to feel good in my clothes. I want to look in the mirror and not cringe.

So instead of sitting on this nice comfy couch day after day wishing for change, I have decided to enact change within myself!

So please join with me! Lets keep chatting and supporting each other! Let's have this be a place for bragging about healthy decisions and a confession room for our slip ups and above all, a place of support and love for others on the journey to health!

So I'll start! For the past year I have been recording FitTV programs of Namaste Yoga and Shimmy. I keep looking at them and thinking "I need to actually do those routines some day!" So Someday started Yesterday!

Yesterday I did a Namaste Yoga routine and felt GREAT the rest of the day! It was hard and there were times my fat got in the way- but I just kept doing as much as I could. This morning I could feel a gentle ache in some of my muscles! Wow! I haven't felt that in a long time!

But I had a bit of a setback when hubby decided to buy Pizza Hut for dinner. Oops...

But this morning I did another round of Namaste Yoga- a different routine and I can already feel it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  07:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have been making all homemade meals, forcing myself to drive by the easy convenience of fast food. I did take Charlie to get ice cream but I brough water with me and got nothing for myself. More enjoyable watching him eat it, all melting and turning his lip pink from the strawberries.

I am also really reading food labels, sticking to a shopping list and buying for that may be more $$$ but is much healthier. I buy the cheese and yogurt with the extra probiotics in it, I found 2% milk that is hormone free and has extra protein, I spend more on fresh vegetables than canned or even frozen. I am eating more fruit, especially in between meals. Right now, we have blueberries, black grapes and grapefruit (Which I hate eating grapefruit, so I squeeze the juice into a small glass of OJ- which is fortified with Vitamin C and D).

I have been walking more, trying to shoot for 45 minutes a day. I am starting to use my weights this week. I am saving for a treadmill because when I owned one, I worked out all the time and was much healthier.

I am also trying to make healthier versions of my favorite things like pizza, mac and cheese, lasagna, etc. It has been fun.

Water, water, water- no more sodas and coffee is going away soon!!! I have been working on all of this for over a month now. I weighed myself and have lost 3 lbs so far. So onward and upward (Except my weight!!! : ) )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  07:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee,
I am with you. I am going RAW in 2009, currently I am at about 80/20....Feeling better and moving more. I have been dancing and doing Core Secrets with the body ball. Which was a hoot in the beginning and I GUESS I didnt know where "my center" was as I was all over the floor being rolled around like a webble.. but I am getting the hang of it. I am writing and creating more which helps the spiritual side of me. I recently learned that we have a RAW food teacher right here in Prosser (Donk), here I have been trying to do this on my own, so I al so looking forward to juping in on that. SO here is to being healthier in 2009.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  08:18:10 AM  Show Profile
I have thrown out the candy & cookies from a gift that were getting overlooked, I didn't even put them in the cookie jar. Dh & I have been eating fruit for dessert and I am drinking more green tea, I still drink Coffee every morning but only two cups. DH & I joined membership at a fitness gym to use the pool which we are starting Monday. I have an ear ache so I have been leary of going, I have an appointment with a Naturpatic Physician Friday so we are on track..to a healthier new year I think..

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  08:19:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Heather!

Yes, I have been trying to cut out soda and increase water. Also watching portion size as well. I have lost 5 lbs since middle of December and now I am starting doing the yoga I hope it will be more and more quickly as I increase my workouts. I am going to go to the college's rec center and start a cardio and weight routine!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  10:08:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm in!
In fact I just said to the fella this morning that I have to start doing my yoga again- I used to be so good and do my program every night before bed.. So tonight I'm going to start again! Thanks for the nudge Alee!
I really want to get walking again too but the weather is so cold, it's just not fun most days... I've been thinking about getting a skipping rope so I can work out inside instead.

As for food- my goal is to make sure I eat breakfast every day this month.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  12:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Awesome ladies!

I am so glad I am not the only one! My whole core is SORE today! It rocks! Silly I know but it feels great to know that I have been stretching an exercising muscles that were just hanging there.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  12:53:42 PM  Show Profile
this morning I vacuumned the carpets while DH mopped the kitchen & we just returned from a mile walk..up our country road. It is so pretty outside right now even though the temp is 36 degrees, it is sunny. I only had to put on a sweater & scarf (over my other clothes of course!) I feel refreshed and ready to dig into a project.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  6:10:29 PM  Show Profile

Great thread and topic! Today I resisted cupcakes! I am off coffee; which is a big deal for me. I love coffee with half and half!
I am drinking green and white tea which is supposed to help with weight loss.I find it hard to walk in winter but I sure shovelled a lot this A. M. I am measuring the oil I use for cooking and plan to get an olive oil mister to reduce fat. I am going mostly vegetarian for a while. I am eating lots of brown rice and vegetables and made some great minestrone today; mostly from my pantry!Ha. Dear Alee; its important to love your body at any weight. life is too short to feel bad about your weight. Eat healthier and that's a good focus to have. Our society is really messed up about weight and body image.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  6:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Victoria- I agree but at the same time, being comfortable with myself has helped me be "okay" with getting 50lbs heavier than is healthy for my frame.

However, I have noticed that doing the yoga routines has helped me learn that there are muscles in places I had forgotten and I have also noticed it is helping with my posture with is also helping me remember to support my tummy. So already- in just 2 days I can see a physical change in my body that has less to do with weight loss and everything to do with muscle control. So I am looking less like a giant duck walking (big tummy in front and big bump on the back!) as my husband once described himself, and more like a person!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:25:11 AM  Show Profile
Okay Alee I am in! I have watched that same yoga program. I will give it a try. I need to get moving! I also need to eat less cheese...
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  3:00:04 PM  Show Profile

It was a good eating day! Rice, vegetables, fruit, peanut butter!
Lots of green tea. I have a thing about people stereotyping overweight people as lazy and not smart or motivated. I have known many people that would be considered morbidly obese that have been abused by the medical professionals. I prefer to see the person rather that the body type. There is a yoga class in our village and maybe I'll join up! My definition of yoga is simple poses you can't do!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  8:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL I like that definition Victoria!

I did Namaste Yoga again today and boy can I feel it! It is a bit embarrassing to see these lovely ladies flowing gracefully from one pose to another and here I am flopping all over the place, gasping for air and hopping, wobbling and stumbling to try and stay balanced! But I can tell a difference. I am walking and sitting different- with better posture and my balance is improving. I had a very healthy lunch at our local Good Earth Market, but a horrible dinner. I don't even want to admit what I had for dinner! But tomorrow is another and better day!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  8:22:49 PM  Show Profile
I Know I will feel better tomorrow. I think I have caught a cold..Slept a few hours today. No energy.. My body is Screaming at me...so I am Drinking lots of tea, Oj & Water. Echinacia tablets are gone gotta get some more.taking a Hot bath & Going to bed early .... Tomorrow I will feel better.. ( my affrimation prior to going to bed...) Night all...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  07:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is everyone doing? I have lost more weight and have TONS of energy! I am drinking tea instead of soda to keep going during the day and I am trying to listen to my body's actual demands. Is it my stomach asking for food or my brain asking for entertainment?

Right now I am SO busy with school that I don't think the boredom eating will be a problem.

Part of getting healthy has also been trying to get my house healthy. So I have been cleaning cleaning cleaning!

I hope yo are all doing Wonderful!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Jan 16 2009 07:45:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  11:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I was doing GREAT until I came face to face with a strawberry cheese danish and unfortunately, it won!!! : ( But I did take a walk after I ate it but it was SOOO good.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  2:58:15 PM  Show Profile

I am doing well resisting the donuts I love and coffee and cooking healthy stuff everyday. I have lost four or five pounds already. I tell myself if I get hungry I can eat something; the some thing is just a healthier choice. I really trying to stop eating the minute I feel full and eating smaller portions of food.I have been bringing healthy foods to my classes and want to be a better example for my students! Unfortunately it has been too cold here to walk; only 5 above for out high today!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  3:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- you are still doing great! Don't beat yourself up about it! As long as you aren't eating one every day. Being healthy- we can afford little pleasures now and then1

Victoria- have you tried dried fruit? We buy bags of it from Costco and they really give a nice sweetness plus having lots of fiber!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  8:16:45 PM  Show Profile
Great post, Alee! I decided late last year I needed to make changes for the same reasons as you did. I officially started December 29th, because it was a Monday, and the journal I bought started then. I have been keeping track of calories. Trying to eat small snacks between meals to keep my metabolism going and so I don't get so hungry by the time the next meal comes along. I have stocked up on 100 calorie packs of popcorn and things so that if I do get a junk food attack, I'm not as likely to go crazy! I have been making it a priority especially to eat breakfast- high-fiber cereal with yogurt. We have only eaten out a couple times, but I'm trying to cut that out altogether, and I've been doing a pretty good job of cooking at home.

For Christmas, hubby got me a Wii Fit (by being at Best Buy at 6 in the am). I have been using that like crazy! I don't even feel like I'm really working out, more like seeing how well I can do in a video game! I love it. I have been trying to use my treadmill more as well. So far, I have lost 10 pounds! This is the lightest I've been since early in my pregnancy with my now almost 2 year old. I'm hoping in a couple more weeks to be under the 200 mark (yikes!) I really can't believe I let myself get this heavy! It's good to know of you other farmgirls out there fighting the fight with me!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  10:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- I know what you mean. I am very short with a very small frame and I got up to 181. That was a wake up call to me. I am already feeling better just having lost the 6 lbs so far and I am excited to do more!

I am doing more cooking and baking but just because I bake it that day doesn't mean it has to be consumed that day! :D Saving and savoring for later is the key for me.

Doug got me a big box of Lindor Truffles (yum!) for Christmas- at least 30 of those lovely little chocolates and there are still some in the box! Last year I would have been eating them by the handful everyday! Oh wait...I did do that....Darn! LOL

I also have been trying to drink more- More water, more tea even more diet soda (I know....booo hiss! But it is a step in the right direction away from regular soda!!) I have stepped the soda drinking way down and by being full of liquid all the time, my cravings have lessened as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  06:50:58 AM  Show Profile
I have been drinking TONS of tea, and the occasional diet soda. I know what you mean about chocolates! They wouldn't have lasted more than a day or two around me. I haven't trusted myself to do any baking yet, because before Christmas I kept baking cookies, which only lasted a day or two, mostly due to me. I am really trying hard to eat as I have my children eat. I don't let them eat cookies for breakfast, so I can't either. I have them eat fruits and veggies, which they love, so I'm trying to eat more of them too.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  06:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
On of the best buys for me recently was 13# of oranges from Costco. They are the orangiest tasting oranges that I have had in forever! And dirt cheap! I have been having a little bit of oatmeal for breakfast and about half and orange (basically Nora and I have been sharing breakfast! LOL)

Then I make myself a big pot of green, black, or chai tea (true spice chai- not the sugary chai) and then I have been coming in here to my office to do school work.

I was doing Yoga and have taken a few days off. Today I want to get my carpets shampooed so they are nice and clean for me to do yoga on :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  07:40:58 AM  Show Profile
I too am fighting the extra pounds I have put on over the past 8 years. I'm 54, soon to be 55, smack dab in the middle of menopause.......
I have found Turbo-Jam to be soooo much fun and very invigorating. It makes you feel muscles that you forgot you had. I also walk, walk, walk.......and especially love to do it when it's cold. My weakness is chocolate.......and generally sweets since this menopause thing has kicked in. We eat lots and lots of fruit......and more and more veggies, raw and steamed. I have been cooking without meat...and my DH has not noticed. I actually told him last night that the "sloppy joes" did not have meat....but instead TVP. He was actually impressed...and this is a MEAT and POTATOES kinda guy!!!!
I would love to try yoga....but my lumbar spine is fused all the way through the coccyx......with rods and screws and all that fun stuff. I might go to a local yoga studio....very local, as in right around the corner from me...and ask if I could "sit in" or give it a try a time or two before commiting my $$.
Anyhoo...........good luck to all of us! I like the encouragement all of you are always eager to offer.
Ciao,
Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  10:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kate- if you have Cable TV, check to see if you have "Fit TV" and if you do- if they carry Namaste Yoga. Then you could try a routine or two to see if that was working for you. Also I think going and talking to the Yoga instructors would be a good idea. They should know which positions you could do and which would not work.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  10:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
PS- Proof of Improvement:

I am wearing jeans fresh from the drawer (Laundered and dried so at their smallest) and I didn't have to force myself into them and I am sitting at my desk in a straight backed wooden chair with my button still fastened!! WOOO HOOO!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  1:16:07 PM  Show Profile

Dear Alee, I love dried fruit we have some around the house apricots and cherries; these are good in oatmeal. Tea is one of the things that is getting me through; there's a world of different flavors out there; some of which taste like dessert. I am trying to get away from regular sugar and using stevia to sweeten drinks, cereal ETC.We are hooked on grapefruits now! We have a hard time finding oranges that taste good around here!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Lets Get Healthy 2009! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page