True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  1:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

I need your help. I am now realizing that I have a serious fast food addiction. Without realizing it I have stopped for fast food breakfasts every morning this week after taking the children to school. I was out during 3 lunches this week as well. I think I subconsciously made a point of being out when I would just "have" to eat. I don't know how to stop.

My husband is a naturopathic doctor and is always furious with me for doing this to myself. My children are never with me so it does not affect them except during the summer. I am wasting money and hurting my health. Knowing all of this one would think it would be easy to not stop at Chick-fil-A EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's like I need the chemicals or something.

I am desperately trying to lose weight, but this is one addiction I cannot seem to stop. Do y'all have any ideas?

Blessings!
~Farrah

http://oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  2:44:29 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had some ideas for you. Whenever I am going out, I try to remember to pack a little something so that it I can tell my brain that I can hold over. :) Package of crackers, candy bar, something, anything really. You would think a candy bar wouldn't be that great for you, but it is better than the greasy fat that is in any and all fast food.
I don't if it will help because sometimes, I just have to have my fast food fix, but it does help sometimes.
Trust me, you are not alone. Though, I am not doing it to lose weight, I have sugar problems and fast foods are a big downfall for me! I'll keep you in prayers that you will be able to resist the temptation and that you will learn and find new ways to break this habit!
hugs!!!!!

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Stashaholics Anonymous Member since Jan. 29th, 2009 :)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, cookies in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, What a Ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  3:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Farrah- I quit eating fast food over 3 years ago and have never looked back, but I know how addictive it can be (I still crave the occassion McD's french fries!).

Maybe you could try driving a different route so that Chick Fil A isn't something you drive right by? I also agree with Jessie, try keeping healthy non perishible snacks in your car to munch on, and also start packing yourself a lunch when you know you're going to be out.

Then take the money you're not spending on fast food and put it in a savings account. When you reach 30 days fast food free, use some of that $$$ to treat yourself(and not to fast food!)

Another thing that helps is to journal what you eat....if you bite it then write it! (something I learned from Weight Watchers, and I successfully lost 30 lbs and have kept it off for 3 years now )

I'll pray that God gives you the strength to win this battle, and you'll also have we farmgirls cheering you on :)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  3:33:04 PM  Show Profile
Here's a kind of fun way to maybe help you stop. When you are craving to stop take a breath, take the money out of your wallet and put it in a jar. Save that for a new Mary Jane book or a crafty thing you've been wanting or something like that. Try it one fast food stop at a time and give yourself a pat on the back everytime you get by. Also, if you pay by debit card, leave it at home.
Good Luck.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  4:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I used to be totally addicted to McD's! Basically I had to just tough it out. Everytime I wanted to turn the car into the drive through, I just really focused on keeping going. Moving into the other lane so I couldn't turn helped too! I like Jess's idea to keep a little something with you in your bag. That helps. One thing that always gets me is being thirsty while being out. If I am thirsty I will stop and since I am stopped I might as well get food too. So I keep some bottled water in the car and if I know I will want that caffiene/sugary boost while out I will take a soda from home. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  6:26:25 PM  Show Profile
It'll take baby steps. Allow yourself ONE morning & ONE lunchy fast food stop a week. Look forward to it. Save for it. Plan it.

I am a Starbuck-a-holic. Hubby gave me a $100 card to use, with the strict intruction that it has to last until the end of May. I've had it since Thanksgiving. I've got $65 left. I only let myself enjoy a Starbucks pit-stop ONCE a week, however badly I'm craving it.

It gets easier, especially if you know you have something yummy at home to eat. You could shop for specific foods just for breakfast & lunch, totally yummy things to eat right away or to bake....

OR, think of your body, your spirit, as a special guest. Would you take your special guest out to Chick Fil A? (what is that, anyway?) Or would you treat your guest to some homemade muffins and tea?

dunno, just thought I'd throw some suggestions out there. Just remember, baby steps. Good luck farm sister!

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  8:07:21 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for your advice and encouragement. Leslie, Chick-fil-A is a fast food restaurant primarily in the Southeast that serves great chicken.

Keep praying!

Blessings!
~Farrah

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  04:34:09 AM  Show Profile
good luck Farrah...I too have that problem. I have gained so much weight. I just think of what it is doing to my body never mind my wallet! One day at a time:)

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  12:18:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh I hear ya! I love french fries and try to avoid them as much as possible. Have you ever read Fast Food Nation? Not watched the movie, read the book. That's a wake up call. All I can say is yuck! And I already was iffy about meat.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  12:22:01 PM  Show Profile
I actually have, as well as seen the movie Supersize Me. You'd think I'd have a clue!

Blessings!
~Farrah

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  1:45:26 PM  Show Profile
I saw Supersize Me too. And I still love McDonald's FF. Just never go there.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  3:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I found the thing that helped me the most was absolute avoidance for a couple of weeks. It really is an addiction! If you can get your body to naturally cleanse itself of all those chemicals and preservatives then I think you will find you it much easier to drive past the fast food places. *hugs* I know exactly what you are going through. I did the exact same thing to myself! I felt so guilty sometimes! Like I really really wanted that food but then as I was eating it I felt so guilty.

I don't know if McDonald's changed the flavoring they put in the meat or what but the summer of 2007 I would buy a hamburger and the meat tasted really bad. Like rotten bad. And it wasn't just once it was like 3 or 4 times. So I decided that since I hadn't gotten sick, my taste buds must have changed or the flavoring might have changed. Either way that really helped defeat my addiction to the hamburgers. I still love the french fries though. But it is harder to justify going to a place I know is bad for me, just for fries!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  3:34:10 PM  Show Profile
I am beginning to be "supersized"! FrenchFries are Soooooooooooo bad,,(good) but.. I agree with Leslie.. it does take time to get used to "Planning those stops" once a week.. I am also a Starbuck-aholic.. But I only go there now when we travel.. or when I go grocery shopping at a store where SB is located. I do brew fresh SB coffee every morning but it just isn't the same...SO I treat myself..not justifying, not defending , not explaining..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age... Lucille Ball
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  12:13:58 PM  Show Profile
I also have had this problem at times. It gets addicting to me when I've been busy and gotten into the habit of picking up fast food too often, then it seems I start to crave it. If you start to think of fast food more as a treat then it is easier to stay away. I know that going cold turkey is hard because the more you tell yourself you can't have something the more you want it so I tell myself that once a week we can have fast food. That way if I am craving something I can get it but then tell myself I can't stop for another week. It's seemed to work pretty well.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  3:32:40 PM  Show Profile
In addition to watching Supersize Me, I'd suggest reading Fast Food Nation. The combination of those two pieces alone ought to do the trick! ;-)

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Fast Food Addiction Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page