Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 non-sensical farm animal names
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic non-sensical farm animal names Next Topic
Page: of 3

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  7:57:03 PM  Show Profile
Let's see...the more ""funny"" names I've bestowed upon my pets were the ones from my childhood. We had a parakeets named Chatterbox, Fluffy, and Lettuce, and a cat named...Meow Cat.

My current menagerie consists of four felines named Oliver, Dali, Lucy, and Elliot, and a half-Arab named Huckleberry Honey.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  7:58:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh, the lady that lived behind us growing up had two dogs named Pineapple....lol.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  09:34:09 AM  Show Profile
I have SOOOOO many animals-- 19 goats, 26 sheep (unless I miscounted!) 5 dogs, 11 cats, 1 pot belly pig, 4 horses, a goose, 6 (or is it 7?) ducks and gobs of chickens!! Really too many to name, but I'll give you some anyway--

The Chihuahuas are named "Kangaroo-Jack" (aka: Jack-Jack or Kangaroo-Boy), "Roberta Marley" (aka: Marley-Boo, Marley-Barley or Blind dog (because she pretty much is!!) and "Stitch" (from "Lilo & Stitch"-- aka: Snitchy or Mr. Snitch). The OTHER dogs are Sherman the Lab (aka: Squirmy Shermy or Squirman) and my beloved LGD Eli (aka: Mr. Handsome)

The Cats are named "Butch" & "Sundance" (Sunny), Sylvia (she's a BRUTE!!), Max & Lucy (named after characters in the movie "Lost Boys"), Big Sug (from "Larry the Cable Guy; Health inspector"), Scarlett O'Hairball (aka: Snarly Puss), JigglyPuff (aka: Wiggly Poof), Jade, Roxanne (aka: Moon face, Moon Pie or Chubby-Wubby -- depending on WHO in the family is talking to her!) and last but not least-- Lieutenant Dan the crippled wonder kitty. He just goes by "Dan."

The Horses
Johnnie "Walker" Red (aka: Bocker Noodles), Isabeau (aka: Izzy or Izza-blow), Destiny (Dez or Dezi) and Sierra (aka: Cc or Pitiful Pearl-- depending on her attitude)

The goats are too numerous to name, as are the sheep, and the cows are still GETTING their names since we haven't had them for very long. So far we only have a "Gertrude" (Gerty), Charlotte (Charley), Curly Sue, AnnaBelle and..... I think that's it so far. The other 4 have yet to be named.

We've had lots of animals over the years with funny names-- A Hound named "Ducky," a cat named "Mugs" and another named "Scooby," among many others. I just pick names that fit the animals' personality. Although, I do have to admit that I have one wether lamb that STILL does not have a name-- but his half siblings are "Annie" and "George-Herbert-Walker-Bush-JUNIOR!" (aka: just plain ol' George. My 13yr old son INSISTED he be named that!!! Guess we ran out of names for his brother!!! Lol!!) Come Spring though, there will be MORE lambs, kids and a new little CALF to name!!

Oh, and a FEW of the chickens have names: there's "Pricilla" (she has a hairdo like Elvis!) "Phylis" (like Phylis Diller-- she's an Americauna/Frizzle Cochin mix and looks like a Demented Feather duster!) Rodney the rooster, Dolly (who's actually a rooster. A friend named him after Dolly Parton BEFORE we knew "She" was actually a "HE!"), Bonnie Blue Bird (a tiny Dutch Bantam) and I think that's all the birds I named. The rest are just called "Chick-chick" and/or names I can't repeat here (LOL!!!!)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  10:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
These names are great! Its so neat to see what everyone names their critters!!! I did forget that we used to have a cat named Damn Cat..because that damn cat got into everything!! The kids had fun telling their teachers when they were little!! And when we have hogs we will name them Miss Piggy and Boss Hog!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  10:35:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh! A dear friend of mine has the FUNNIEST names for her aniamls too! She has a neutered male cat named "Gary" (from "Sponge Bob") that LOOOOVES Cucumbers! "Mrs. Stevens", "Mr. Whiskers," "Lem and Clem," "Waders," "Yammika (sp?) Kitty" ('cause he's all white with just a gray tabby patch on his head that looks like one of those little Jewish beanies). She named her ducks "Lightning McQueen" and..... (shoot, I forgot the other ones name!) her Goose was called "Ming-Ming." They had a goat named "Felix" and their two Angus Heifers are called "Thelma & Louise" -- unfortunately, they will soon be butchered!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  10:56:47 AM  Show Profile
Growing Up our two Redbones were Jake and Hambone....We now have choc lab named Shoney Bologna black lab named Poochie, a basset who just showed up recently that I have yet to find a home for (hint hint) named Yelta Yardstick, because of course she is 3 ft long!! A cat named Flicka of course the famous Mildred McGobbleSticks Turkey and our flock of chickens that unfortunatley is down to only 2 is Fred and Speckles
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  1:32:44 PM  Show Profile
We have Pearl, Mable, Eunice, Thing One, Thing Two, Roo (chickens), Coconut and Oreo (rabbits), Baby and Bo (dogs), Missy (cat) and Nemo (the fish that won't die)

Sherone
Independent Avon Representative

http://www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/

http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  1:51:48 PM  Show Profile
I was told I have issues when I named my 2 chickens Lizzie and Bonny after they successfully killed off one of their competitors in transit from one farm to another. They weren't very old but still, what killers! Our rooster is Blondie from the movie "A fist full of dollars". We also have a white rabbit named Lucky. She was found by a friend and is "lucky" that we took her in.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  11:07:22 AM  Show Profile
We never sit down and say, "Ok, that ewe is going to be Sally". While we out in the barn or pasture with the animals...the names just happen. A white bottle calf just got called Sugar,she has had all boys...they get no names cause I can not sell something that I named! then a black bottle calf became Rasberry (she moved her tongue and looked like she was giving us rasberries), her calves are all girls and they are Blackberry, DewBerry, ...dingleberry next! Hehe
I think of the ewes like old Victorian Ladies....Miss Molly, Miss Patch, Miss Aliza
One of my prettiest Corriedale ewes is white and her name is Miss Dolly and her daughter just happens to be Dolly Baby.
The shetland sheep have their own personalitys..Itsy, Bitsy, Lizzy, Tizzy, Tazzy, they all pretty much rhythm. Lizzy had a lamb named Isabel that had a lamb named Belle.
We had a little ram that acted like the Fonzy on Happy Days...so we named him Fonzy.
We named my husband's little Wirehair Border Terrior, Einstein...we wanted him to live up to his name! He is pretty smart at some things!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A Good Friend Is Like A Good Bra. Hard to Find, Supportive, Comfortable, and always Close To Your Heart!
Go to Top of Page

stacyluu
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

stacy
tuttle oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  8:10:17 PM  Show Profile
wow gals.....you have so many fantastically weird names for critters...i love them ALL!!!! thank you so much for sharing....i am going to use so many of these names! (p.s. my friend has had cats all her life and they are all named Elvis or Priscilla...i think she is on Elvis #14 now?)
Go to Top of Page

Kangaroo Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Teresa
Red Oak Texas
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  9:22:57 PM  Show Profile
I have laughed myself silly reading a bunch of these!
lets see here I can contribute a few. I have a fantastic turkey
named "Dobie" short for doberman watchdog..he is on top of everything goin on! Jacob and Isaac the two sheep boys. Got a fainting goat named "slowmo" he earns it.ha ha Daisy duck and my son insisted of course we name her husband donald! Have "Mr Fluffy Toes" a huge totally hormonal furr ball of a rabbit.. ha "Samson" and "goliath"
two flemmish giant rabbits. For some reason my ponies end up with indian names. cherokee, cheyenee, spirit. My mini donkey is "Onie"
Llamas are Tekoa, Moses, Chewbaka (this one is always holding food stored in his cheek like a chipmunk..ha ) Wallabies,,Pippi, Lilly,
Sydney, Bindi, Keera, Minya, and Buddy.
IT is fun to see what others name thier animals. it can sure be a
challenge sometimes!!
one of my best I think was "whizzer" a patagonian cavy i used to have he would wet on everyone when he was little.. ha ha he earned his name! ha ha it just stuck. ha ha He was a real trip! miss that boy.
ANd a old favorite was "Old Red" the cow I grew up with.. was my best friend as a child. she lived to a ripe old age of around her mid 30's. I still have her cow bell.. hangs on my kitchen wall.

Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  6:27:01 PM  Show Profile
I have two goats named Jerry Oberhasli and Ben Nubian and a pig named Steve. One black australorp rooster who was sold to me out of the back of the trunk of a car as a laying hen (long story) whose name is Rosie. One white silkie rooster named Dear Charles. Three mutt hens (? or roosters-they are weird looking) named Ellen, Oprah and Tyra and one RI red hen named well, Red and 24 teenage baby chickens in the basement named "The baby chickens" and a cat named Precious. Everyone else in the house is called either "Dear" or "You Doofus LaRue" depending on how they are behaving at that particular time.

Aren't we clever?

Smiles,
Lisa

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5581313
http://pinkporches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  2:51:06 PM  Show Profile
I have to say that Spray Paint and Thumb Tack are my favorites so far!

We have lots of animals at the moment: 30 bunnies, 13 goats, 3 dogs and 10 cats...

Most interesting bunny names - Tristan and Iseult, Ghillie, Spot, Sage and Basil

Most intersting goat names - Laird, Annie Laurie, Gabrielle and Juliette

Dog Names - Lucky, Red and Pretty. Lost Brindi and Harry Potter.

Funniest Cat names: Bob, Birdie, Harley and Charlie

Had some funny names for pets in the past - Flea (cat), Harriet (Hamster), Grandma (dog)

Sure was fun yelling out the door to Grandma - "Hey, grandma! Finished doing your business yet? Hurry up and pee - it's cold out here!" Always brought a neighbor to the window!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  5:17:39 PM  Show Profile
OMG Erin, that's funny about 'Grandma', lol!

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  6:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh, I love the Grandma too! We used to have a big old golden retriever named Chet. I have a very high pitched voice. Well, in a very high pitched voice, yell CHET, and see what it sounds like. Every night picture me yelling THAT out the door, good thing we don't have many neighbors!

Imagining a place that's always safe and warm...Come in she said I'll give ya shelter from the storm. Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  6:58:56 PM  Show Profile
If you're ever stuck for a middle name, just tack on "Marie". It goes with everything. My parents liked it so much that we had two sisters and a cat with that middle name.

Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  07:39:46 AM  Show Profile
I once knew a boy whose dog was "Poochy Momma Dog"
and a human girl named "Porkchop". Go figure.

Katy

Visit me at www.alpacafarmgirl.com
Go to Top of Page

farmprincess
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Crystal
Abbotsford British Columbia
Canada
16 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  2:01:14 PM  Show Profile
I always got to help name the animals on our hobby farm with the understanding that they would one day end up in the freezer. I didn't have a problem with that, in fact one calf i named Veal Cutlet and we had 2 pigs Shake and Bake. One of my puppies i named Mam cause sher was the first to bark, kinda like "yes maam". What can i say i was like 10. I had 2 little arcona hens Henny and Penny. Another puppy i named Cupcake cause he was twice the size of the rest and very round.The runt of that litter i called Tiny Tina. I had a fuzzy black kitten with really rounded ears and called him Bear. Now alli have is a blue Beta fish as i am in town and renting, his name is Indigo.

Motherhood is the adventure that lasts a lifetime.
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  2:18:35 PM  Show Profile
I think we have to give our animals cute names because they are just so lovable. We tend to name our animals after food. Usually sweet stuff! Or give matching names like our guinea hens are Polly & Dolly, our new puppies are Max & Molly, and the goats are Hershey(buck), Buttercup, Bambi, Jezzabel, Hannah Montana and Brownie which are all does. Cats are Vanilla, Sugar and Callie(she's a calico) and can't forget our two other dogs Lily and Tiki(already named when we got them, they were rescue pets). We are crazy over some animals!

Best farm wishes
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  1:26:59 PM  Show Profile
When I first met my husband he had a Heifer named "Wild Ass"...it fit!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  6:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Our neighbors just gave us their Rooster(HUGE barred rock) and his name is "Magoo"...These names make me laugh and laugh.....

Farmgirl Sister #368

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  12:31:58 PM  Show Profile
Let me blow your minds with this list:
Cats: Mouse, Cheeseypoo, L'il Guy, Miss Kitty, Petunia, Bibbers, Bubbles, Squeakers, Possum, Blossum, Mr. T( He has a black mohawk), Daisy, turtle, Penelope Chatsworth Fitzwiggins, her bro Filbert McCracken Fitzwiggins, their mom Old Mrs. Fitzwiggins, snuggles, Cuddles, General Fluffenstuff, Mr. K.C. Mouserpuss(K for kitty C for Cat Mister for short), Wiener, Frankin P. Fitzwiggins, Rupert who was a girl died in a windstorm, Sparky The Gay Cat, and Poke E. Dot.
Dogs: Molly O'Brien, Black eyed Susie(dalmatian with a black eye)passed away at 19 1/2 years old.
Cattle over the years some years have themes: Pheobe,Sweety, Darling, Bill and Monica, Punky Brewster, Margot, Hemmi, Jellybean, snickers, gumdrop, gummy bear, taffy, dot, fancy, Lula Belle, Lucky Lucy, Sugar Pie and Honeybunch, Johnny Angel, The wanderer, I have found it is unwise to name cattle after Mad TV characters they are usually weird. Stewart, Lorraine, Mrs. Swan not a good Idea.

Had a rabbit I got from a guy who said he used him as a buck for breeding, named him Herbert. Herbert got best of show buck at the fair. THe next year the rabbit people at the fair told me Herby was a girl. She won Best of show Doe. The next year they said she was a he again. Won Best of show Buck again. # months later Herby had babies. Unless Herby had both parts I would say there is the proof in the pudding that she was a girl. That rabbit must have been confused.Other bunnies named Boo, Bunbun, Mickey and Minnie and Molly.

Goat named Yum Yum. Its a family name she is named after her grandmother. My cousin named her when she was just 2. When she sucked on her bottle she hummed and Bobbi thought she was saying Yum Yum,
Horses over the years: Sparkey, Cozy Nuk Chore Girl, Key Beau, Baby (AKA Strawberry Shortcake), Dynamite, Appy, Ralphy, El Paso Jr., Donkey named Elyjah.
Had pigs as a kid: Lacey, Tabitha, Pepsi
My brain hurts I can't think of anymore.

Toodles,
Becky

WOOOOHOOO!
Farmgirl #429
Gonna get cracking on those badges:D
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  12:37:52 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine had a dog named PJ Groundhog Wistlepig... He honestly looked like a groundhog.

Toodles,
Becky

WOOOOHOOO!
Farmgirl #429
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  12:59:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh yah.. We had a cow named slick because she was mauled by a rottweiler when she was a calf. She had no ears. She came with the herd when we bought the place. She was a mean old thing. Well she can;t hear so when she moos she screeches. Well all of her calves learned from her and they all screech and so do her grandbabies and great grandbabies. We can always tell if it somehow ties to her. What is funny is a bull that sqeaks. He sounds sooooo wimpy.

Toodles,
Becky

WOOOOHOOO!
Farmgirl #429
Go to Top of Page

mmartz
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Melissa
Frostburg MD
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  7:25:22 PM  Show Profile
Hmm... Farm animal names...

Here goes...
Horses: Magpie, Mimi, Maya, Joe, Taxi Bart (Born on Tax Day - april 15, my youngest son calls him Bart - this little gelding is going to get a complex being called two different names LOL)

Chickens... all chickens are chick,chick chick to me, but again my youngest has one called Little Buddy

Pigs: Bacon and Sausage, Turbo Diesel and Cummins (named by my bacon-lovin, Dodge Ram lovin son)

Goats: Ms. Puffy, Light, Lights Baby, Chocolate, AshLeigh Blue, Zoe, Buttercup, Oreo, Oprah, Gorgio (named by my youngest son because it rhymes with OREO), Mini OREO (but one of my 4-Hers calls him Alan after her Dad LOL) Buttercream, Brownie, Paint Bucket, Susie (that was the lady I bought her from)

We too pull out the baby books when naming animals... I love those creative folks who have a whole line of like names - Whiskey, bourbon, rum, etc... Things just sort of get a name around here based upon what's going on... We had a buck named Annapolis because he was born the day my son and I were on a field trip to Annapolis, Taxi bart was on April 15, Mena-Mina was born the day a local mine collapsed, Maya was born on Cinco de Mayo,

Missy
www.rocking-m.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic non-sensical farm animal names Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page