5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  4:46:55 PM  Show Profile
If anyone is like me, it's time to garden NOW!!!!...right! Maybe I should sew somehting....?
This snow is beginning to get to me, and we have 2 or more months of it...argh!

Farmgirl Sister #368

http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com

Edited by - 5 acre Farmgirl on Jan 09 2009 4:48:49 PM

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  5:03:41 PM  Show Profile
Lordy I hear you Terri and I just heard on the news that they've issued another rainfall warning for the next 24hrs so brace yourself. I've a huge mess to clean up from earlier this week when we flooded (bridge washed out and 200' of fencing down) and now we're supposed to get it again. I think I'll curl up with my seed catalogues tonite and dream of sunwarmed tomatoes and basil!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  5:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Yes! I'm poring over the catalogs to order what I want, and now, before someone else snatches up the last packets of what I want to grow. Can't do anything with the 2 feet of snow/sludge (not quite as nice as slush) on the yard/garden, that's for sure.

Not quite too antsy to get to seed starting, but give me a few more weeks when the house doesn't feel as insane (with all the canning that took me forever to finish this fall and the babe, it's not a pretty mess).

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  5:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Me too, I am ready.. but I know it is toooooo early to even go there.. except pouring over the wish list & seed catalogs.I have lots Other things to do too.. so I better stop wishing for Spring It will only disapoint me.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  07:54:31 AM  Show Profile
I guess this isn't the place to get any sympathy from you gals, my neck and back are killing me after spending the day out in the garden! I worked all day in the strawberry patch, and found a few to nibble on. Mmmm Mmmm Good! (Am I terrible, or what?) It had to be in the high 70's, but really windy! I don't know how you gals do it. I guess you get a lot more knitting done than we do here.
Has anyone seen the new Burpee seed catalog? I've made my list...don't you just love the pictures? I want to grow everything! However, my climate limits me as well....will someone grow some hydrangea's for me? Mine always burn up!
Anyways, off to find some Advil...ouch, uch, oh, ut o ....
LisaLu

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  08:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
How funny - I looked at the thread title and thought, "NOW!" And then I read your post. Great minds, as they say.

We haven't had much snow, just cold. Yesterday reached a surprising 52 degrees but today the temperature drops and snow is expected. Next week, highs of 10, lows below zero. What would I do without seed catalogs that allow me to dream? Probably get more done around the house!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Maven's Haven Editor
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  5:25:13 PM  Show Profile
We are WAT too wet here to even think of gardening. I need to get my front pasture and garden plowed, but it will have to wait til spring now. I sink up to my ankles in most spots and some other places even deeper. So I try to stay away from the brown areas.

But so looking forward to spring and getting in the garden again. I have gotten lots of catalogs so far. Just need to get orders ready now.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  6:55:26 PM  Show Profile
My quick answer is -"not soon enough!!" but will have to wait for a couple of months:)
I will start seeds this year but again, that will have to wait a little, any way you look at it January in Eastern Washington is too early........heavy sigh
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  12:26:42 PM  Show Profile
I am pouring through the seed catalogs. I did an inventory of left over seeds and have a lot. I heard or read somewhere that lettuce seeds arn't good the second year. Has anyone heard that?
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  2:48:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bellepepper

I am pouring through the seed catalogs. I did an inventory of left over seeds and have a lot. I heard or read somewhere that lettuce seeds arn't good the second year. Has anyone heard that?

The germination may not be as good as the first year, but I've got 2yo lettuce seeds that did just fine last year. My own problem has been putting them in a shady enough spot so they don't immediately bolt, but I think that's more user error than seeds or anything.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:48:37 AM  Show Profile
We have just finished digging out of the snow here. I just heard on the news we are expected to get up to another 5's by tomorrow and go from severe winter warning to blizzard conditions for tonight and tomorrow. I am busy reading my gardening journal from the past year and am plotting on my vegetable garden. I need to figure out what seeds to get, I'll start them the end of February. Even though it looks like a winter wonderland outside, I'm going to curl up this afternoon with my most colorful gardening books and magazines. A girls gotta be frivolous too!

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Jan 12 2009 10:29:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  10:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I cant wait to start gardening!!! I am not ready...just itching to get out of house and into the warm dirt!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  10:29:41 AM  Show Profile
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ready for my Dirt Manicure......need garden therapy & I need it now!
Sewing is fun but I need SUN!
I hate watching (& yet I do) all these Garden Shows on T.V. which were filmed last Spring/Summer, it just toments me....
Already in my pea brain I have "grown" a fantastic-but unrealistic Garden! lol!
Guess the Winter Blahs are getting to me!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  2:20:04 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh, yeasterday was so nice here, I was able to go out and pot some of my Hosta roots that I dug up and moved here from Oklahoma, and then I went to the garden and dug up and potted 14 "Wave petinias" they grow year round here, we just call them native petunias, but they cscade and ramble just like the "wave" ones....I lucked out moving to a place where the garden plot was already thick with them....Sure is going to make my front porch and back deck really pretty this summer....and for so much cheaper!!!....lol....I just can't wait for spring! next month is my seed starting month....And I'm so dizzy with excitement that I can't make up my mind what all I'm gonna do!!! I just love it!!! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

DairySue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sue
Connecticut
67 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  07:28:57 AM  Show Profile
I can relate. Looking at our snow and ice is making me want to garden all the more. Why do we often want what is out of reach? Well, Indoor gardening is not totally out of reach. I study my catalog wish books. I placed an order for geranium seeds. Some I've been successful at in the past, and I will try growing them again. Some veggies will be started too.

I've been watching my canna tubers. They are wintering well...so far. I wonder when I should plant them in pots to get and early start. Any one know.

Sue in CT
http://frumsglassmenagerie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic When is it time to Garden? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page