Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Women's cycle & Moon phases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Women's cycle & Moon phases Next Topic
Page: of 4

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  10:06:12 AM  Show Profile
makes me think of that song "I enjoy being a girl!"
I agree...I would worry about using the pill that limits the amount of periods you have for other than medical reasons! I have not started menopause yet but have noticed that my periods are just a little more troublesome and I rest a little more at that time than in years past (just turned 47) so I guess maybe that is the beginning. I feel myself being a little more irritable than I used to be..although I am still hard to make really mad or anything like that..just a little more emotional I guess. My younger sister (who will be 46 in Feb) has been told by a doctor that she has started menopause stuff. She is so different than me and it will be interesting to see her journey throught that time first. I remember my mom as being so forgetful for a few years and emotional.
I guess I don't have a problem with things just progressing naturally. I have some grey hair, but not lots and some wrinkles, but I don't worry about it. Weight is an issue, but I don't obsess aboutit. I want to enjoy my life and not be a big old pain to others. And I want to be a good example for my 11 and 9 year old daughters who will be going into the next phase of their lives soon. I hope to be more helpful than my mom was.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  3:17:30 PM  Show Profile
I stumbled across this article at WebMD, dated Sept. 2003... so it's obviously been around awhile and I've been oblivious.. Anyway, I find this to be a disturbing article that bascially says we have the technology and we don't find any side affects, so we're gonna push it. What's more disturbing is the number of women that do it for convienence, not necessarily because of severe health reasons. So, if ya want to get riled, have a read!

http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/71/81215.htm?z=1689_00001_2418_00_03

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have." - Abraham Lincoln.... http://farmstyle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  4:41:11 PM  Show Profile
Both my girls are on that kind of "pill" except it is a shot. Both girls work construction, outside in all kinds of weather, hard physical labor. The older one has pms so bad you can't stand to be around her when she hasn't had the shot. The rest of the month she is a sunny, bubbly, happy person. But when she has pms she is horrible. I don't know how her husband put up with her. She has one child, and doesn't want any more, so with her choice of work, this is a good solution for her. My younger girl just had the most horrible periods you can image. Sick and throwing up and flowing extremely heavy. I really didn't want to put her on anything when she was young, but when she was 16, I discussed it with DH, and to his everlasting credit he said, " if the pill is what it takes to ease her thru, then do it". She isn't married or in a relationship, so she only takes the shot when they are working, usually summer. She doesn't like it, it makes her gain weight, but it is better than standing on the asphalt on a 105 degree day, starting your period.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  08:54:57 AM  Show Profile
I want to talk about this topic some more. I always complained about having my period, it always seemed like that first day we always had to do something very physical, chopping wood, or moving hay bales, lifting of some kind. But I kind of liked the idea of renewal and a connection to something elemental.
The women in my family rarely go to the dr. I should have gone years before I did. I had fibroids, lots of large, nearly record breaking fibroids. I knew there was something wrong, but until I was in horrible pain, I ignored it. The second opinion dr, said surgery, immiediately, I said, " I want to go on a trip, can't we wait a month?" dr. said, "you can have the surgery now in the hospital, or beside the road done by EMT's". So, I had a complete hyster. I was 53. I should have done it years before. I had no idea what feeling good was. I had been tired my whole adult life. I pushed myself to do everything, from getting up in the morning, and everything I did all day long. I fell into bed at night exhausted. I had migraines and aches and pains. Now I am great. No aches and pains, no headaches, and I am not tired. I have hot flashes and have trouble sleeping, but since I am not tired during the day, I must be getting enough sleep. I will put up with hot flashes for the rest of my life, just to get rid of migraines. All of the aches and pains and migraines must have been caused by hormones. The only headache I have had was from using a premerine cream and then I tried black cohosh to help with hot flashes. I still had the flashes, but got a migraine. I don't need estrogen, if it gives me headaches.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  12:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
That article is pushing Seasonale. My gyno suggested I try that one last year (I guess it was new, it came with a pretty little purse and all kinds of goodies), so I did, but she also (bless her) wrote a renewal scrip for my usual pill, which is also low dose.

I don't know what is in Seasonale, but I was constantly bleeding a little, had almost daily odd cramping (not bad, just annoying like the common stomachache), and I just didn't feel right. I didn't feel like myself, I felt "off" - no other word to describe it. It was horrible. I also started getting headaches, something I have had on a few other pills that I have been asked to try. I've had BAD migraines from other pills.

For whatever reason, this Estrostep FE does not affect me like that. No headaches, I don't feel "off", everything else seems pretty normal. My friend with similar problems found that little estrogen patch works for her, as it is a lower dose than the oral pill.

Kennie Lyn, every time I go to the gyn I ask if there is maybe something else causing my periods to be so incredibly painful. They say no... I truly hope they are not wrong!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  5:42:35 PM  Show Profile
renewing a very old topic here... On Monday I am going to go and get my IUD removed because it is wrecking all sorts of havoc with me.. I'm a little worried about removing it because I've been reading about all kinds of unpleasantness while your body adjusts to it's own hormones. Has anyone else gone through that? Do you know of any detoxifying measures I can take once it is gone to flush out the residual stuff from my system safely and faster?

I have had it in for 20 months now, and it has caused my ankles and knees to swell.. (I had this happen with Depo many years ago but it hit my elbows and wrists instead) For some reason every synthetic hormone I have ever tried causes me to have water retention in my joints which mimics early onset rhumitoid arthritis, but then the doctors test me and it never comes up in the tests.. The only reason we discovered it was the hormones was when I went off them to get pregnant with Kaylee and Halsey, and then when the Dr put me on the minipill it only took a few weeks before the swelling came back after 9+ months of painfree bliss.

Hal wants to go get a vesectomy because he is sick of seeing what all these different forms of birth control are doing to me. I'm on one hand very excited to be rid of this awful thing, I am so bloated that I look 4 months pregnant as it is... on the other I am scared that we will regret this in a few years.. I am going to be 28 in November and I wanted to be done around age thirty anyway, and we are cleaning up an acre and building a home on it and I can't really participate in that while pregnant or with a brand new baby anyway, plus there is no room in this apartment for another little one.. we are like cannible gerbles in here as it is.. so it makes sense..

I love my girls and am thrilled that they are such great kids.. I feel like I should be happy with the 2 that I have at this point and not worry about what I don't have. I am not even ready for a third one at this stage in our lives and it would probably be harder for the girls due to all the other adjustments they have had to deal with this year.

I want to be able to go hike up the sides of mountains with them and really look forward to next year when Jo Jo is 2 1/2 and she can go on walks with us.. if we had a newborn I couldn't start doing as many of the "big girl" things I want to start doing with my girls.

Hal has also pointed out that if we can afford to get a reversal than we should have no problem affording a third baby if we change our minds in the next few years so thats always a consideration if we have a hard time...

Rambling.. sorry.. lots to think about .. but in the short term I am so excited to be rid of this thing.. I look forward to the pounds dropping off, the joint pain leaving me again and the nearly 2 years of cramping to subside..

Yay!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Women's cycle & Moon phases Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page