asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  6:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Thanksgiving is in the bag (so to speak). Now let's talk Christmas Dinner . I got off not having to cook Thanksgiving, but I am in charge of Christmas dinner. This year there will be eight of us, which is quite a few when you think I only cook for two regularly. I am thinking roast duck or cornish hen - waffling between the two. I am going to make some of Julia's cranberry chutney, homemade scallop potatoes but am hung up on whether to do a baby spinach salad, green beans with almonds and bacon bits or some other type of veggie. Then there is dessert - not sure what to do this year. Should it be something with chocolate or maybe a fruit tart - did an apple tart with cream filling one year, very good. Looking to hear what everyone else is thinking about and maybe if you have suggestions I am all ears.

Anne, Portland Or

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  9:18:42 PM  Show Profile
Have never tried duck - cornish hens are great, with wild rice - the Uncle Ben's wild rice mix is wonderful. I would do a salad of mixed baby greens with lemon vinigarette. For dessert, how about a rustic apple crostata, or a cheesecake? Don't forget some good crusty bread or rolls.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  9:55:13 PM  Show Profile
I am so boring...I do just about the same exact dinner on Christmas that we do on Thanksgiving.I did a goose one year and that was a hit..and sometimes I add a small ham..but I usually always cook a turkey and all the trimmings...I do desserts different though, not just pumpkin pie. Your menu sounds wonderful!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  07:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
We have clam chowder for dinner on Christmas Eve (a tradition) which we love, rolls and salad - dessert this year will either be a pumpkin roll or various cookies on a platter. Christmas dinner will be ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes (yes both kinds, LOL) green beans with toasted almonds, a fruit salad of some kind and rolls. Depending on where Christmas is there are usually several different desserts (OH I can feel the extra pounds already!)

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  08:12:55 AM  Show Profile
Our Christmas Eve dinner is always Chicken Enchiladas, red rice and pinto beans. Always pralines and Christmas cookies. Relatives come on Christmas morning for brunch - either a strata or scrambled eggs with coffee cake.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  09:24:46 AM  Show Profile
KJD -

I have done duck before, but it is kinda greasy, so you constantly have to drain - that is why I am a bit hesitant to make it - little too much work. But it is awfully good, so I don't know. Still thinking.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  10:53:43 AM  Show Profile
Someone taught me to roast duck or goose on a rack, and stuff it with an apple quartered, and a big onion quartered...yum!!
Christmas eve we have tamales.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  12:58:44 PM  Show Profile
Okay Jenny, I am there at your house for Christmas Eve, tamales - yummy! Since I got on this "kick" about making Christmas dinner I started looking up recipes for ideas. Bad idea - I just made myself hungry . I found a recipe for the Duck - apricot/honey glazed duck. Then they suggested a peach & watercress salad to go with it, mmmm. Then I started scanning the whole cook book - saw a great recipe for hushpuppies. Then there was the Texas-style beef brisket and the Po'boys with the oysters. I did find a great recipe for dessert - Dutch apple/brandy cheesecake. I have to stop now or I am going to start making myself really hungry all over again.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  1:44:28 PM  Show Profile
Christmas is DH's turn in the kitchen. He usually does a standing rib roast with all the trimmings.

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  4:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, if I can catch a ride with Santa may I come for tamales? Then on to Julia's for the chowder! I think we're having a turkey for Christmas.I grew up on ham for Christmas, but we don't eat much pork these days. Personally, I'd be fine with hot baked rolls and Christmas cookies!!! Maybe a salad to break it up :) Whatever it is, being able to share it with friends and family will make it a blessing!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  4:17:25 PM  Show Profile
Sure! you are invited for the tamales. MMMMMMM I could be happy with hot rolls and salad for dinner too...yum!! I could do without the cookies even! Just more rolls>.bread is my downfall!!
The kids and I are going to make our own tamales this year..wish us luck..it could be ugly!!

Jenny in Utah

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Nov 27 2005 4:19:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  8:18:43 PM  Show Profile
oh lordy! i don't know what i'm going to have for dinner 'tomorrow night' much less for christmas .. toooooo soooooooooon to tell!
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  09:07:21 AM  Show Profile
My german grandmother died ayear ago so I have been the one to carry on the family traditions for Christmas day. We also have duck. I roast it on a bed of onions, stuffed with traditional bread stuffing. I make a gravy from the drippings, after separating fat out. Served with buttered noodles with browned breadcrumbs, red cabbage and salad. For dessert we eat a variety of different cookie recipes made at the family bakery in Bavaria for the last 100 years and marzipan etc. I look forward to doing this every year in her memory, it makes me feel like she is here.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  12:43:51 PM  Show Profile
We are going back and forth between roast goose and ham cooked in cider. Probably we will do the ham, since it is so easy, and a goose is pretty spendy around here. Last year we couldn't even find one--only ducks. We'll have salad with cheese, homemade bread or rolls, homemade applesauce, and probably an english pudding or plum duff.
Annie

Visit me at my blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
See what I have for sale: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  1:13:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm happy to say that I still have a few more years before it's my turn to take over the Christmas dinner but I know I'll have lots of help when I do. My Mom and MaryJane have wonderful ideas I'm so lucky to have two great resources. But not everyone has these tools first hand, lucky for us MaryJane shares a great glazed Leg of Lamb recipe in her book. It's on page 120. It looks fabulous maybe an idea for Christmas dinner??

Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.....unless they are spelling mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  2:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Lamb is a great idea! My husband grew up in the Middle East (he's American) and loves all the food from there. I've yet to make lamb for him, although he has mentioned he'd love to have it. Maybe a New Year's dinner for us. Thanks for the reminder - I'll look at MaryJane's recipe.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  3:01:14 PM  Show Profile
Retro Christmas...Dr.Pepper glazed ham, braised brussell sprouts, savory corn pudding, cranberry-apple-orange relish, egg nog, fireside mulled cider, Lady Baltimore cake, cheese bisquits...and Bing Crosby, Billy Holiday, Rosemary Clooney, Frank Sinatra on the CD player, a tulle and sequin 50's hostess apron round my waist, pearls and black high heels.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  3:05:51 PM  Show Profile
We're visiting my hubbys family in Montana for christmas this year.. They usually beg and plead for me to bring Krispy Kremes because we have one about 5 miles away from us and they don't have any in their neck of the woods.. they go ga-ga over them, and then feel sick for the rest of the day, so they make me promise not to tempt them with such evils ever again, and then the next time we're scheduled to visit they beg for them again.. I feel guilty contributing to their uncontrollable doughnut urges but being the dutiful DIL that I am I guess I'd better do my family duty and make everyone sick It just wouldn't be Christmas any other way.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  5:48:48 PM  Show Profile
I get to make Christmas dinner this year! My husband, Lucas and I just moved into our new home and we are hosting Christmas. It is so fun for us to combine our two families' traditions and make our own. For Christmas Eve, we always do snacky stuff: yummy pickled things, cheeses, breads and crackers. Of course, some delicious chocolates too. Then Christmas morning, my dad (Nick) will make a bacon and egg breakfast (he is always is in charge of breakfast. Then Lucas and I will make a turkey with all the trimmings (including pumpkin pie, my favorite) for dinner. We are very excited to attempt dinner by ourselves and we will be serving seven! Which is a lot for us. I am nervous about the timing. I hope I can get everything all ready roughly around the same time the turkey is done. At least the company will be grand!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  7:24:31 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark -

Wow, pearls and black heels! I am impressed. I run around in my fuzzy slippers until the last moment and then put on sensible flats when company arrives. By the way, what is Dr. Pepper glazed ham, never heard of that one.

Meg - timing is always a trick for me, only having one oven and very small kitchen. I tried to pick recipes that use around the same temperature, so I can kinda bake everything at once. Putting the items in first that take the longest and following up with the items that take the least amount of time. I also use the stove top as much as possible for items that don't need baking. I make ahead whatever I can that doesn't require heat. I read all of the recipes before hand and make a list of how I will start, this way I am not overwhelmed by the whole thing. I'm serving 8 which is also a lot for me to do. Also best to have an easy horsd'oeuvre keep everyone satisfied if I run behind in making dinner.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  09:29:15 AM  Show Profile
Anne- thanks for the turkey tips! Yes, I will definitely have some snacks on hand, if it takes me longer to put dinner on the table than I planned on, which is very possible. And I think I will make the pumpkin pies the day prior and the cranberry sauce too! What time do you usually serve a turkey dinner? I am thinking I have always enjoyed a turkey dinner in the afternoon?

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2005 :  11:24:22 AM  Show Profile
As we aren't with famliy for Christmas ( my dh is a pastor so with Christmas eve service and with Christmas being on SUnday this year) we always invite people who are unable to be with there family. I always do game hens, usually glaze it with homemade apricot butter, sour cream potatoes and seared brussle sprouts, salad and fresh rolls. Some sort of pie is always dessert. Hey Anne, if you want a to die for chocolate dessert, I have one. It is called Boco Negro, or Black Mouth. You will make friends for life with this one. Merry Christmas to you all!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2005 :  2:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Julia -

Bring it on, I am always ready for another chocolate desert recipe.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  11:11:17 AM  Show Profile
One year my mom decided to do something different for Christmas dinner, and made lasagna. We thought it was marvelous, but her picky brothers and their kids didn't think so. They are the typical boring ham and turkey type. So we skip the "exotic" whenever they are expected and save it for ourselves.

I miss being out West for a variety of reasons, and fresh home made tamales are one of them! Had a friend whose wife made them around the holidays. Mine were tweaked a little and made hotter than the others.

I'll always remember my mom's jello salad! Maybe you guys might have had something similar. Cherry jello with cranberries and nuts . Topped with a dab of whipped cream. Forget the rest, I'd be happy enough with just this! (And maybe that green been caserole ) Mom passed on the recipe, but it's partly the sentiment the goes with it.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  9:40:40 PM  Show Profile
Anne, I will get the recipe to you. It is so good!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  11:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
We always have Christmas Brunch so all the older folks can get back into town before it gets dark...we have Quiche every year, the girls won't let me make anything else,fruit salad,croissants,pie and cake and cookies...oh and Mimosa's now that every one is old enough.

This year, due to the tree vs. house experiance, I have asked my daughter with children to host Christmas (I am still doing all the cooking)this will be the first Christmas I haven't held in probably 20 years! I am looking forward to the rest, and just playing with the kids...

So we are starting a new tradition: Christmas eve at Nana and Pupu's house, with hot chocolate,cookies and watching "A Christmas Story" then the kids get to open their one gift of jammies to wear home and sleep in.Going to try and make Mary Janes home made marshmallows for the hot chocolate!

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Dec 13 2005 12:59:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Christmas Dinner Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page