FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  6:31:02 PM  Show Profile
I made a double batch of the caramels in the last issue of MaryJanes Mag. Put it in a container lined w/parchemnt after following the directions & adding all the ingredients it said to... but it will not set in the center. It has been sitting out for 2 days now. I have put it in the fridge now hoping that will help. Just wondering what would cause that? Anyone else have that trouble?

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  7:11:31 PM  Show Profile
Maybe it's the double batch part. I know that some recipes you can double no problem but some you aren't supposed to, so perhaps the total density as determined by the width by depth is too great for it to be able to set up (sorry for the nerdy scientist wording, I just miss writing papers sometimes:))
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Hanalu
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Hana
Redwood City California
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  8:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Did you take the caramel to 245 degrees? If it doesn't get hot enough it won't set up...or if it gets too hot the caramels will be too hard.

Hana
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  8:13:33 PM  Show Profile
I think it was the double batch issue.. I think if left out they might harden in the middle?

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  10:23:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions! Putting it in the fridge has seemed to help. But I havent cut it yet. Looks hard though. I think you are right about the double batch. Next time I'll just make one batch, or put it in 2 containers. I did use a bigger one than it said, but I think its still just too thick. I did take it to 245. I saw another thread after writing this one, & some had issues with their thermometer. I dont think that was mine, it was brand new. But you just never know. I am looking forward to trying it tomorrow. Everyone has given it rave reviews. Thanks again!

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  5:03:12 PM  Show Profile
i made a single batch and took it to 245 but they wouldn't set up either. We just scoop a little out of the pan on our finger and eat it. My pecan bark didn't set up either, I think my thermometer is off.

I am one with my inner farm girl!
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  05:12:55 AM  Show Profile
Becky. I thought mine set up in the fridge, but when we went to cut it, all the butter & cream mix was at the top & the sugary syrup at the bottom. I pulled it out & recooked it. It set finally! Started to burn to the bottom towards the end, but I could tell it looked different from the first time (even though I also took it to 245 then). Mine turned darker the 2nd time. Only mistake I made was that I ran out of parcment & used wax paper instead. Big mistake! So all the paper is stuck to the bottom. I've been sticking it in the freezer & then taking the paper off. Seems to be working ok. No one seems to mind though including one of DS friends. Couldnt keep away from it. Just warned them all to watch for it, just in case I missed some.

– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  06:31:44 AM  Show Profile
It usually is not a good idea to double-batch candy or jams and jellies. You would think it wouldn't make a difference, but it does. It alters the timing needed for a set and it is one thing you cannot guess on.
Now, if that had been me, I'd have put the unset middle on ice cream and said it was the plan all along! lol

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What did I do wrong??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page