Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Laundry room goals Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  1:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am starting to put down the EXACT things we would like in our home of the future. One thing is a truly functioning laundry room and I mean room.

I want my space to be open and airy, bigger than the average laundry room. I want a space to fold clothes, with an area to hang things up and let them dry or just hang on hangers until I move them. I also want an area to wash the pets in. I saw a cute little tiled area at Home Depot with a large drain and spout. Indoor/Outdoor application. I would probably want mine outdoors (This is Texas, so we could do that) and you can also use it for letting plants acclimate but that need water, etc. I also saw a cute door on the laundry room that had that stripey glass in it with the words "laundry" etched into it. It was cute. Someday!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  5:50:45 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I have always wanted a laundry room that was big enough to have the ironing board setting up all the time. The sewing center would be great located in that area also. Long tables for sorting and folding laundry and cutting fabric. I think the utility room should be the second most important room in the house, right after the kitchen. Some builders make such a big deal about the master bed and bath. You are only going to sleep and shower in there. Put the $ in the area that WE are going to spend most of our time. Well, awake that is.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  5:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Belle, I completely agree with you. I actually found a master that would accomodate all our needs, as in things being high enough for us here tall peoples, and accomodate a Cal. king bed and dresser w/walk in and it is still "small" compared to what others think.

I too, was thinking why not a combo workplace with the laundry, since it would keep me from having to run across the house to put in a load, iron, etc..I could hav eit all set up.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  12:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Ok, a nice big laundry is great for all the things mentioned here. Mine is pretty big compared to some but it is also crowded with so much stuff now, too. It's got shelves on one wall that holds canned goods. On the other wall are 2 long shelves that hold lots of appliances that I don't have room for in the kitchen. Then under that is a 6' cabinet that is full of other things that won't fit in the kitchen and all my milk jugs. Plus the washer and dryer and water heater in the corner. I would love the wall mounted ironing board. Anyway, the bigger the room, the more stuff fits and the more cluttered it gets for me.

My next big money project is going to be the little room beside my kitchen outside. I would love a mud room. Really want one BAD to hold all my muddy boots and jackets and all. Right now they are on the kitchen floor. So that's what I'm dreaming up right now. Don't know if it will happen though, b/c we have like 1' thick limestone walls. It would be so expensive to make a door through all that.

Good luck with your laundry, Heather. Kris

I forgot to say I put the 6' cabinet in there to use for folding clothes but have never used it for that. It's covered with bread machine things and grinder and wheat. I fold clothes on the bed.

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jan 04 2009 12:28:13 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Laundry room goals Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page