Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Grating Soap Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  09:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I only have an old cheese grater. Do I use the smallest grate side? Thanks.

P.S. For the liquid soap, I just bought a small metal saucepan to melt the soap and a wooden spoon. Will this work? Thanks.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

Edited by - catscharm74 on Dec 18 2008 09:01:48 AM

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  09:45:38 AM  Show Profile
use the side that you would grate cheese with. like the holes, NOT the little pokey things(like for lemon rind) here's a great link with pics!

What liquid soap are you making, laundry soap? Here's the link I use:
http://greenhome.huddler.com/wiki/diy---liquid-laundry-detergent-step-by-step

Edited by - MsCwick on Dec 18 2008 09:48:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  09:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, laundry soap. Thanks

Heather

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  09:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I was just wondering if it needs to be super fine to do. Otherwise, away I go!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  09:55:39 AM  Show Profile
did you see those pics, they were pretty big chunks.
Good luck. let us know how it goes!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  10:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks!!! I will!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  11:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
On my cheese grater there is a side that grates like the big cheese holes but super fine. You can also get one of those Parmesan cheese graters like they have at Olive Garden and those work great!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  2:54:14 PM  Show Profile
I use the same side on my cheese grater too. The very fine side, then I whirl all the ingredients together in my food procesor. Just for my own anal self.
I make the powdered version too.

Good luck! Let us know what you think of it!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  4:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I grated the soap...oh my!! It smells HEAVENLY in here!!! Waiting for Charlie to go to bed before I start the process... I am SOOOOOOO excited!!!

Heather

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2249 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2249 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  5:59:51 PM  Show Profile
I use the cheese grater (the big holes) then spread the grated soap in a box to dry out even more. Then I put it in small batches in the food processor to grind it into little bitty bits before I mix it with the washing soad, baking soda, and borax.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  6:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok, I tried the liquid kind first (Because I have always been a liquid gal). Everything is mixed and sitting to cool in the bathroom tub. I had a hard time getting all the soap to melt- stirring, stirring, stirring.... x 1,000,000,000,000...you get the idea. Any tips? Also, there are some small chunks of borax/washing soda in the bottom. I stirred, stirred, stirred (you see where this is going) I hope this works or else I have 5 gallons of soapy water!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  7:05:19 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I love the powdered version.. I usually just take it & put about 1 coffee scoop in an old olive jar with a lid, add some hot water & shake it up. Works great & you don't have to have a big 5 gallon bucket laying around.
My original powder I made with lavendar, rosemary, peppermint & tea tree oils for scent, but the last batch I used lemongrass, grapefruit, & sweet orange oils(I have a LOT of essential oils) & OMG it smells divine!!
Much easier to make & no boiling & less storage space.
Just my opinion though
HOOK EM!!
Go Colt McCoy!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  9:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- did you heat the mixture? You need to heat the borax and washing soda to almost boiling to get them to dissolve properly. Also I dissolve the soap under medium low heat as well. Then I combine them and add the extra water.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  12:51:10 AM  Show Profile
If you're going to grate a lot of soap try finding a Salad Shooter! They work the best for grating. I found mine on eBay but I bet you might be able to find one at the Goodwill, etc.

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  06:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I used hot hot hot boiling water for the Washing Soda and Borax, then added the gelly soapy. It solidified on top of the water this morning. If I mix it up, it is lumpy and useable but not what I thought. HMMM???? : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  09:53:30 AM  Show Profile
I have found it really works best if you can grate it REALLY fine. I use one of the parmesan graters...it is a little rotary one I got years and years ago from pampered chef.
The liquid version is a little icky looking...but works great..I did that for years. I do love the powdered version more now.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  12:09:31 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I use the powdered version and love it! And I don't dissolve first, just put it in with the clothes. I grate it on a box grater on the side one would use for cheese and whirl it in my minichopper a little. Sometimes it doesn't get as fine as I would like but I've never had any problem with it dissolving. BTW, I use Fels Naptha bars.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  12:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- Yes, it looks a bit weird. And for future makings of it- even if the water is really hot when you combine the borax/washing soda/ water it isn't quite hot enough. You really do need the boil just to get them to dissolve completely or you get little iceburgs of borax/washing soda at the bottom. The mix still works but I want all my powders working for me, ya know?

It will look kindof clumpy and that is why you have to shake/stir it before each use. The stuff from the store gets that nice consistent look by adding lots of really nasty fillers/thickening agents. And boy do you pay for it too! Not only in environmental terms, but also in the wallet. About 75% of what you put into the washer from commercial detergents really doesn't need to be there. It's just there to add bulk, make it thicker, and make it consistent.

Also because we use soap and not detergent for this recipe it looks a bit different too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  12:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well, I declumpified (is that a word) by hand and when I went to rinse my hand off, it dissolved in cold water, so I think I will be ok. Next test is the laundry...dum dum dum!!!!

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  7:37:38 PM  Show Profile
The liquid version will be lumpy, just keep stirring it up before you use it.

I use to do the liquid version too, but prefer the grated powder instead - easier to fix for one thing. But my daughter used and likes the liquid.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  04:25:39 AM  Show Profile
I use my homemade soap for laundry soap making. I have found that I let my bar soap sit for at least a couple of months to dry out good. Then I use the fine bumpy side on the 4 sided box grater. The soap ends up a fine powder. Then I mix rest of indg. I started out using too fresh of soap, and could not get it fine. I would grate it like for cheeee, put it in the oven for a week ??? and then try to use a food processor or blemder to get it fine enough. It just did not work for me. So letting it really dry out in bar form, I think is the way to go.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  4:14:23 PM  Show Profile
hi girls I had a quick question about the soap, Is laundry bar of soap better then any old bar of soap.
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  1:20:16 PM  Show Profile
Where did y'all find the washing soda? I haven't been able to find any here in Atlanta.

Blessings!
~Farrah

http://oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Grating Soap Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page