corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  09:50:09 AM  Show Profile
A while back my sister in law in CA lost her husband. They own ( yes free and clear) a 20 acre organic farm that they have run for over 30 years. They could not have children so she is 67 and on the farm by herself. She called a couple of days ago to ask us about taking over ownership of half the farm in return for moving to CA and helping her. When somthing happens to her, her 50% would go to us.

My husband is flying out there on Jan 15th to meet with her and look over everything. It is all kind of scary so we will need to get an attorney, but at the same time her farm is already where we are trying to get our 6 acres. She has drip irrigation systems, customers, ect. The farm itself is valued at almost 1 million dollars. I am excited, scared and finding this all just a bit nerve racking. She is great and we all have a wonderful relationship but.... will it stay that way if we are in business together? So many questions. Keep us in your thoughts. We need to make wise decisions.

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"

DH is in cottonwood ca checking everything out. he says it is beautiful and the property is a dream. now my SIL is wanting to go ahead and sign everything over to us with the stipulation that she can live there for as long as she wants. Right not it looks like we are moving to California after our son graduates in May..... WOW!!

Edited by - corporatefarmgirl on Jan 16 2009 2:44:46 PM

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  4:13:02 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh How nice for you.. I pray it works out. Good Luck. It is exciting and scary too but Isn't it perfect and starting a new year too?

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"Sometimes you just gotta Have it!"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  4:22:32 PM  Show Profile
Wow Tamara - what an opportunity!! That can be scary, even the good ones. I will be thinking of you. Keep us posted on your decisions
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  4:35:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh how exiting! It's sad she lost her husband, though. I do hope and pray this is a good move for ya'll. You would need a good lawyer to make it all work for all of you. But Calif. is SO far away. Here I was just thinking there is another farmgirl pretty close and there she goes already. Oh well. I think this is a great opportunity. One of those that don't come along all too often, ya know?

Let us know what your husband thinks when he comes back. Can't wait to hear about it. Sounds like the perfect farm!

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  12:02:12 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for your sister's loss, but what an opportunity for your family; not only to farm, but to be there for your sister. Good luck.Where in California is the farm located?
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  09:55:24 AM  Show Profile
The farm is in Cottonwood CA.

My SIL told us yesteday that she went out to one of the beds to dig worms for fishing, the soil is so fertile that the shovel sank down a good 10 inches. All her organic beds are set up on automatic water timers with 30 different settings. She also has a 1800 foot long pond with spill ways feeding into it.

We are getting more excited as we have talked with her. She is THRILLED that we are seriously considering this. The big downfall is my family. My mother is sick but she is also very needy and demanding (always has been). If we take this opportunity she will have a "conniption fit" as they say here in the south. I am not EVEN bringing it up until we see if everything falls in place.

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  10:07:33 AM  Show Profile
How exciting! I've always dreamed of an oppertunity like this...it's almost like winning the lottery to be able to go to a farm that is already set up and help run it!
I think that you can have a good family and business relationship by setting up beforehand ALL the rules. You don't want you aunt feeling like you are taking over everything and you don't want her to feel like you aren't pulling your fair share. Agree to terms beforehand of what you and your husband are expected to do and what she is expected to do. Good luck!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  10:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This sounds like a dream come true, especially if you were already looks at trying to get land out there. In my experience, family can work together if there are clear lines of communication and a common goal. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  4:26:06 PM  Show Profile
cottonwood is 2 hrs away from me. We sell our cattle at the auction there. The down town is like walking into an old west town 100 yrs ago. Great shopping. The cafe at the auction yard has great food. Red Bluff nearby has an annual antique fair in Oct. Close to Redding a small city. My hubby and I had talked about moving there a few years back. Decided to stay put instead. I do warn you it gets hot in the summer. 110 degrees but it is a dry heat not humid like Tennessee. The folks in Cottonwood are great especially the ranchers (salt of the earth), So friendly. Beautiful Country. Good luck with your decision. If you move out here let me know I would love to meet you.
Toodles
Becky

I am one with my inner farm girl!
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  5:02:12 PM  Show Profile
Tamara, Is that Cottonwood in Shasta County ? IF so That is only a bit over 150 miles from Klamath FAlls

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Jan 05 2009 5:09:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  5:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Cottonwood is in Shasta County.

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  5:18:42 PM  Show Profile
I wasn't sure there is a yolo County as well.. How far are you from K falls Becky?

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  5:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Oh that sounds very exciting!

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  6:31:14 PM  Show Profile

Wow! sounds like the chance of a lifetime. Organic is really big in California!
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  08:38:34 AM  Show Profile
I have never been North of Dunsmuir I am not sure how far it is past there. Yahoo maps says about 240 miles. I have only been in CA 7 years and we havent traveled too much because it is hard to get away from the ranch with all of the critters to feed. We usually just take day trips. If we would ask someone to feed for us I think all the details would boggle their mind.

toodles,
Becky

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  10:44:32 PM  Show Profile
I have lived in Ca ALL my life and it's a GREAT State-- Born in San Diego, but grew up in Chico, just 26 miles from where I've lived for the past 20yrs. Newcomers either LOVE it here, or they HATE it! It's HOT in the Summer time (we are surrounded by rice paddy's so we get the NASTY humidity too!!!), our Winters are mild for the most part, but sometimes we get flooded pretty bad-- at least in the Valley, and I'm sure you've heard about the Wildfires we have too. But really, what state DOESN'T have it's "Issues?"

And guess what? I live less than an hour away from Cottonwood Tamara!!! And Becky, I'm about that far from YOU too! (maybe less!) I live in Glenn, just 12 miles from Willows. What a SMALL world we live in!!

Cottonwood IS a nice little town, I think you'll like it very much. Lot's of wide open spaces, friendly people, all kinds of things to do in Northern Ca.

There's also LOTS of rules and regulations governing an "Organic" set up though. California has some of the STRICTEST LAWS in the nation concerning environmental issues and farming practices (some of them REALLY RIDICULOUS TOO!!!), so you might want to find out all of those things BEFORE you really consider "taking the plunge." Be sure you understand THOROUGHLY what you're getting yourself into. Otherwise, I'd say -- What a BLESSED opportunity!!! And if you say yes after learning all the facts, WELCOME to our State! Maybe, once your settled in, we can all meet up one of these days --- IN PERSON!!! Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  08:12:02 AM  Show Profile
WOW there are a few farm girls in the Cottonwood area!! A lot of things are already falling into place for us to make the move. As I told my husband he is the offical RECON MAN - when he goes out next week.

About 20 years ago we lived in Trukee CA and my husbands parents lived in Redding. Luckily we are familiar with the area and the summer heat. . Right now it is weighing the pros and cons. A BIG BIG pro is that we walk onto a farm that is already set up for everything (she evan has a small orchard with apple and lemon trees), with all the tools we would ever need and NO MORTGAGE - free and clear. BIG BIG con is our grandchildren and children now all live within a 6 hour drive ( some just a few miles away)so we would not be near them. However a couple of them are already saying they may move in that direction too..... Still a lot to work out but it is getting there.

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  4:10:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey Tracy or should I say howdy neighbor! You are right along I-5 right? I think I went through Glenn when I first moved out here. Nice little town. Have you found a chapter near you? I found one in Gridley but can't get a reply from them. Just wondering how your luck was. Sorry to get off subject.
Toodles
Becky

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  5:13:02 PM  Show Profile
Becky-- HEY back Neighbor!! No, I haven't looked for a chapter, not really. Gridley is WAY too far for me to go. Guess we'll have to start our OWN chapter huh?

And YES, we are close to I-5, maybe 5 or 6 miles (maybe a little further). We live about 12 miles from Willows, and about 8 or 9 miles from Glenn. There really IS no town in Glenn. Just a post office not far from the River. You must have passed through Willows. It's nice living in a small town where you see a familiar face wherever you go! But heaven FORBID should one of your Skeletons fall out of the closet!!! In less than 5 minutes, everyone in TOWN will know!!! (LOL!!!)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic A Family Farm?!?! - UPDATE Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page