MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  10:41:56 AM  Show Profile
So some of you may know that we have a Painting business. Well, with the economy the way it is, people are more worried about heating oil/propane than what their walls look like. So my husband has applied for a job with Norfolk Southern. They have a few locations that aren't too far of a drive, great starting pay and benefits. I have read mixed opinions about working for the RR.
He wants to start in a lower position and be in the conductor training.

Just wondering if there was any gals on here that have any info for us and what to expect.

Cristine :)

www.thelittlegreenstore.net
Do what you can, with what you have, right where you are. - Roosevelt

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  7:20:59 PM  Show Profile
well, think of it this way...its a job that comes with a regular paycheck. The union is suppost to be good. And, if its something he just does not like, he could alway leave.

The only thing i know about Norfolk Southern is the layout my husband has in the basement.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  01:17:29 AM  Show Profile
My brother in law retired from the RR and my nephew works for one and my niece works for another one and my other nephew used too. It all depends on if his runs are long or not. Is it just one day and then be home? or does it take him down and he will have a layover and be back 2 or three days later. Some have both and some just have long runs. My nephews both used to use my house as a stop over point because there was no reason to have an apartment of their own when they would be gone again in a day and not be back for a few days. Conductors and engineers can have this schedule or if they have short run they go one way and a car will pick them up and bring them home everynight. It got old real fast when they had the long runs. My brother in law and nephew and niece got into management when they could cause that is more 9-5 but on call if there is a derailment . so it more settled. My niece was the first engineer for the RR that she first worked for. It was kinda of neat and I was proud of her. She is in indiana and my nephew is in up state new york and my brother in law retired from michigan but he had moved and worked for a few different RR's over the years. My other nephew got out of it all togehter. He likes his day job now where he is close to home more. Does that help any? Hope so..

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

pagamble
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Patricia

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  10:36:17 AM  Show Profile
My husband, both my sons and my daughter have all worked for or are in management postions in the rail industry. My daughter runs the operations dept, where she has all men working for her. My one son is supervisor of operations of a Railroad in NY. My other son worked for a class one RR, a little larger than the NS. It hard work, and sometimes they are gone for several days at a time when just starting out on the extra board, as a conductor, but the rail roads will be around, even in a poor economy. My husband retired from the RR as a visc president, and let me tell you the Railroad retirement is sooooooooooo much better than andy type of SS or undependable 401k type retirement plans, good luck. pagamble
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  10:44:58 AM  Show Profile
Gee can you tell that is my sister that wrote after me. hehehehehehehe Hi patti!!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  07:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Leila, I love that name, if we have kids, Layla is my girl's name pick!
THe regular paycheck thing has so much to do with it. With us both being self employed, everything is soo undependable. Sometimes we can stash a decent amount into savings, and just then a few weeks later we have to drain it all out. The painting business has had it's fair share of good days, but they are getting fewer and fewer, and there are more down days than we would like. Since he started his business, there are so many more contractors in the area, and it's saturated. All of them are having a hard time. So it's not just us, and I guess we mutually decided that the store would be the one thing to keep, and he has a few little things to do while he waits to hear back from the RR.
I wouldn't be so worried about being home alone. Since we don't have kids, when I'm home, I barely have time to take care of all the critters and us. If he doesn't mind being gone, it will give me a chance to work on the house and do some things at home. He has never travelled at all, so he's kind of curious to see what else is out there. Part of his reason for applying was that his nephew applied and got hired immediately(after passing the tests and what not) and not to sound crappy, but his nephew said he was my husband's "project Manager"(which Five Star Painting does not have a "project Manager) so I guess he basically lied on his application, but they said that by him having management skills he was such a better candidate! Well, this kid makes me irate, but that's neither here nor there. Josh said is his nephew can get a job there, and they are paying him REALLY REALLY good then surely Josh could apply and see what happens! He's never been employed by someone else since we've been married, so as we mature(he's 24 and I'm 26) he's realizing that the steady money is better than one or two big checks a year. We've never had health insurance either, and at this rate, he'll never be able to save anything for retirement, so those are two other factors. His nephew said they won't even consider your application unless you put down that you are willing to relocate, so we did, but we can't move from here because of family, and the store. He says he will try to kep Five Star Painting, but I don't think he'll want to spend that many hours working....
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  09:06:09 AM  Show Profile
Leila, there are several train yards about an hours drive from here. We're praying he gets on at one of those. If not, we were talking about what we would do if they offered him a great position but wehad to move...what would I do with the store? our house needs a lot of work before we could sell, we'de have to move to a farm/farmette. I don't want to move. EVER. It scares me to think about having to relocate! I love it here, and I love the barn he built for me, and I love our house. But what would we do if the pay was right? *sigh*
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  09:09:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm a RR's daughter. My dad has worked for CSX for almost 35 years now. Its the first and only job he's ever had....we are trying to get hubby in with the company as well. All I can say is, the rr has been very good to my father. Good luck whatever comes your way!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  2:29:52 PM  Show Profile
I was married for 19 years to the railroad. My husband hated it and it made my life miserable. In retrospect, it was more about him that the railroad. It is a secure job, those are rare these days. We'll always need railroads.

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  10:40:56 AM  Show Profile
I am a railroader's wife. My hubby works for a smaller rail company than UP or BNSF. He's home every night, gets great retirement, benefits are alright, major holidays off...it's not so bad! I can't imagine him working for a company like UP~~it's like selling your soul.
Just make sure of the hours/arrangments before your husband signs on with Norfolk. It's steady work, but sometimes it's base pay and you may feel the pinch in your finances. And he should ask about the consequences for derailments so he'll know what to expect. They'll either dock your pay, give you time off, or hold it against you if you do it again, then fire you. All the fine details, huh? LOL

I'm excited to have a possible railroader's wife to connect with!
Leslie

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Any Railroad Wives? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page