Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Cabin Fever Doll Class
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic
Page: of 22

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  11:11:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Frannie, going shopping tomorrow!!! A picture of the turning tubes will help out, have no idea what they are and haven't found a thing like it at WW. I did find some fat quarters that I've had for 20 years now, so I think they will make nice dresses or aprons. I can't wait either!!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  08:20:01 AM  Show Profile
here are some 'supply' photos you might want to get for your dolly-making.

this is a good stuffing to get .. FAIRFIELD makes a quality stuffing .. but remember to the the 'silkier' higher=loft kind.

the stuffing on the left is the 'cotton' kind .. too lumpy .. seel how much smoother the stuffing on the right is .. get this kind if you can.

this is a great set of turning tubes .. about $8. can usually find them at crafts stores .. makes 'turning' arms/legs/ soooooooo much easier! it has three sizes of turning tubes and three 'pushing sticks.

will send pics of the stuffing fork when they arrive.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  11:39:57 AM  Show Profile
This helps alot Frannie, thanks so much, now I know what I"m looking for in case the people at Walmart have no idea, like so often! I didn't see any osnaberg at WW today, so I will ask next time. Your such a doll!

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  6:52:38 PM  Show Profile
sue-zi-Q .. for osnaberge ... check where the muslin is .. it's usually slightly speckled with brown flecks .. and has a looser weave than muslin.

and oh yeah!!! my 'stuffing forks' arrived today .. will post a pic tomorrow!

girls .. i'm heading for ohio the first of next week .. will be home the following tuesday or wednesday .. and will get started on that pattern .. soooo .. remember ... to e-mail me your full name, e-mail address and MAILING address .. so i can send a pattern to you. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  04:31:00 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, will it say Osnaberge on it? And do I need to email you my addy, not sure if I did that already?

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  07:05:25 AM  Show Profile
I don't think there is an e at the end of the word Osnaberg. I found it at our local (well, next town) walmart at the back right with the muslin and bolts of interfacing if that helps. It is neat fabric...soft, but rustic and nice to embroider on.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  08:51:16 AM  Show Profile
nope .. no 'e' .. that was my fingers running ahead of my mind .. it will say 'osnaberg'. and MUSLIN is o.k. too .. if you can't find the osnaberg ... i usually try to find an 'unbleached' muslin rather than the 'stark white' kind .. but it reeeeeeely doesn't matter .. cuz' we're going to 'stain' it anyhoo.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  10:56:49 AM  Show Profile
May be you've already explained this but what exactly do you use the turning tubes for??

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  9:18:28 PM  Show Profile
when you sew the front and back of the body/arms/legs .. they will have only one open end .. and it is SO much easier and a zillion times faster .. to INSERT a turning tube into the sewn body part .. push the stick from the closed part of the fabric and VOILA .. it turns it inside out.

take a 'sock' ... stick your hand down into it .. grab the toe and tug .. and your sock will turn inside out (or outside in!!) .. imagine a teeeeeeeeeensy little arm that you need to turn .. can't get your hand or fingers down that little hole .. (but the turning tube will fit right in there! then you can poke the body part right back through the tube. it takes FOREVER to turn it by hand.

but remember, i only suggest you get these tools (especially that barbara willis stuffing fork .. and mine arrived yesterday .. will take a picture of it tomorrow and post it) .. IF .. you plan on making more dolls. too expensive to buy for just one dolly!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  9:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I'm so excited. I've got my tools, my stash, my body fabric, and I'm ready to go! Dollies have been speaking to me telling me what they want. Can't wait! Woo hoo!

Love,
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  9:30:04 PM  Show Profile
this is going to be grande fun .. in addition to my 'on-line' class .. i'll be giving you girls lots of great doll 'pattern' companies .. especially my personal favorites .. and i'll also give you some 'web-sites' to look at to see different doll 'styles' .. you can get such inspiration by looking at other photos.

will start the class soon's i get back home from Kentucky .. a week from next tuesday. xo

xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  11:23:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm got my turning tubes, my stash of fabric, and stuffing. Just need to get the stuffing fork and muslin for the body and I'm set to go. Hurry back -- I can't wait to get started.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  10:33:56 AM  Show Profile
here's a photo of my 'barbara willis' stuffing fork:

tried to take a picture of that 'magic' little slit point that makes it all possible!!! a little blurry .. but hope you can make it out.

the stuffing fork is $11. plus $1.50 postage when you get it directly from Barbara Willis

if you think you are going to like doll making and will make more .. i HIGHLY recommend this stuffing fork .. get the LARGE one (the smaller one is more for teensy little fingers and toes or VERY small dolls!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  10:38:54 AM  Show Profile
p.s. remember .. this is the web site where you can find barbara willis' stuffing forks: http://www.barbarawillisdesigns.com/supplies.html

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  7:40:24 PM  Show Profile
I ordered my stuffing fork and turning tubes today. I embroidered a little dolly apron this evening. Miss Frannie, I hope you don't mind, but I borrowed your saying, "never lose your little girl's heart." It just stole my heart! My little Miss O is nearly two, and at the age when everything in life is new and wonderful. It is such a joy to watch her, and I hope she will always feel this way about life.

Annie

Visit the Bramblestitches store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
Visit me at my blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  8:04:00 PM  Show Profile
I think that is my favorite one too. I embroidered one that says "she laughed and laughed" though...just was meant for mine!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  10:37:57 PM  Show Profile
years ago, (and you just might want to make a large and a small dolly for this) .. i saw a big dolly .. holding a little dolly in her arms .. stitched on the big dolly was: "never lose your little girl heart" .. i think i would add a 'heart' on the little doll's dress!

to make a smaller version of your bigger dolly ... just trace inside the pattern line about 1/4 inch .. and their little body shapes will be the same .. a 'little girl' and a 'big girl' .. you can stitch the big dolls 'hands' together (in the back of each hand along the seam line .. and tuck the little dolly in her arms ... or you can take a wonderful ribbon or piece of jute or other 'thready' thing that goes well with the 'theme' of your dolly clothes .. and tie the little doll around her waist .. around the big dolls waist. or you can have the big doll holding the little doll's hand (again by tiny stitches). jus' be creative by playing with them until the perfect technique presents itself.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  10:42:40 PM  Show Profile
jenny ... 'she laughed and she laughed' came from one of maryjane's magazines .. she was asking everyone to send a 'post-it' note to a dear friend of hers who was ill .. and maryjane sent her a post-it with 'she laughed and she lauged' on it. how sweet for someone going through trying times.

there are lots of variations of doubling your short 'saying' ... i like:

i believe and i believe

o.k. girls ... everyone list some ideas using that repeat theme .. and share them with us here.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  6:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Oooooooooo, am I too late to join this?
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  6:26:43 PM  Show Profile
Well, following Frannie's lead, I've embroidered a few little dolly aprons. You can see them on my blog. I've also thought of a bunch more I want to do:
dirt don't hurt
farm fresh
home is where the chickens roost
dig it
dirt is for digging
love grows
count your blessings
make hay when the sun shines

Annie

Visit the Bramblestitches store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
Visit me at my blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/

Edited by - AnnieT on Jan 15 2006 6:29:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  7:30:34 PM  Show Profile
I love those!! I made a "make hay" pillow for a favorite grown up niece for Christmas this year...I hadn't thought of it for a doll apron..good idea!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  8:18:56 PM  Show Profile
oh wowzer! we are up to 49 gurlfrenz that want to make a dolly! we should do something special with the photos of all of these dollies. would be fun to pull together stories of our doll making journeys and write a book!!!

actually, you might want to get a little journal (or make one) .. and write of your adventures making your doll!!! i do hope everyone will post stories on the forum and send me stories via e-mail to share with everyone.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  9:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Annie T I love your aprons they turned out to be so darling.

Hey Frannie, I was totally thinking of having my dolly holding a 'baby' thanks for the tips!

I love all the little sayings...
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  9:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Is There somewhere we can post a pic of all our completed ones?
Frannie do you have a blog thing? Could we post a pic to you and then you put up a Cabin doll group pic??

Sorry, I have ideas but not the techno know how :)
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  04:30:06 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, a journal and a book is a great idea, we must show off our dollies!! I did find the fabric at walmart, still looking locally for the turning tools but I should be good to go when you get back, can't wait!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page