Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Cabin Fever Doll Class
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic
Page: of 22

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2006 :  4:48:45 PM  Show Profile
Count me in please!!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  08:56:27 AM  Show Profile
hey miz diane .. (and all you other farmgirls too) .. here's a little 'up-date' on those 'alien rag chillun' .. they all now have hair-dooooos and funky little faces ... underoos are next! i'll keep posting pics of their 'comin' alive' ... so you can kinda' get an idea of their 'process' and not have nightmares of little E.T.'s roaming your home during the hours t'wixt midnight and sunrise!

these two little 'feather haids' are the funkiest in the lot .. i gave an antique 'feather duster' a haircut for this dolly hair!

four little wild, dark-haired beauties!!

and by the way ... after you've made the face and hair .. the doll just 'speaks' to you of the type of clothes she would like to wear.

two little red-haired irish misses

after you get your dollies dressed ... then you give them 'hair bows' and such .. that coordinates with their 'outfit'.
and these hair embellishments often change the entire look of the dollie!

i think of these as being 'primitive raggedy annes' .. but they are much more 'aggedy maes', i think.

are you all gathering those dollie making kits? are you finding the turners and the stuffing fork?

on my way to town to help decorate the antiques shoppe windows now .. have a Magnificent Monday!! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 02 2006 09:15:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  7:45:35 PM  Show Profile
girls .. don't forget to be thinking about a little 'cloth tag' (paper will do too) to stuff INSIDE of your dollies .. can be a little poem, proverb, thought, song, story .. along with your NAME, where the dolly was made .. and the DATE.

Sumpthin' like this .. and you can just 'write' with a permanent marker .. OR embroider it! This is a 'sample' .. you might all want to share the poem, proverb, thought, song, story you put inside your dolly .. and this will ONLY ever be seen if a hundred years or more .. your little dolly requires an 'operation' on her innards. But YOU will know it is there!

"When This You See ... Remember Me"
Dolly's Name: Jubilation Jones
made from all turn of the 19th century
vintage fabrics .. overshot quilt .. 48-star flag
.. victorian petti-coat and crazy quilt snippet.
February 2006 in Green County, Kentucky
by Frannie Meshorer

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  10:29:18 AM  Show Profile
making underoos and signing these chillun .. have finished a few to this point .. gonna' show ya'll again .. so .. you can get a 'general' idea of how you might want to do this with your dollies .. and look at the 'niave' stitching .. this is how 'i' like to do 'em .. gives them more of a 'child-made' look, i think. you can be very precise with your stitches if your dolly tells you to!

here are a few of the girls having a p.j. tea party

i just put a short little 'thought' with my 'sinature' heart over the dolly's heart

a few more little dolly chests

these are small dolls and some of the cloth is olde and 'rough' .. sooo ..

i signed and dated the back ... and remember to tuck even more information on a slip of paper or muslin INSIDE your dolly!

p.s. the lace-edge petti-slips are a tea-stained vintage pillow case .. the red/white striped britches are actually from a very olde and fragile distressed flag.

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 03 2006 10:33:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  3:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Frannie -- these are the wildest little dollies I've seen in a long time! Love the hair!!!!

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  3:22:23 PM  Show Profile
Please include me on your list for a doll class. I've made stuffed animals but never a doll and would like to try.

One of my favorite dolls was a cloth doll my great aunt made me. Annabelle was just the prettiest thing. I had to play gently with her so I wouldn't mess her up. I'still have her. I'm always looking to find the pattern my aunt used.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  8:28:34 PM  Show Profile
girls .. i've got 20 dollies 'in process' .. when they are finished (within a week or two) i'll get started with that pattern. will probably do the class via e-mail .. cuz' it's easier for me to post lots of pictures ... faster .. that way .. and also because there are quite a few girls from my Kentucky Ramblings and Treasure Seekers list that want to take the class and they are not all on our farmgirl connection here. We will post pics from time to time as we create our dollies .. and share our stories here too!

only thing that may put it on the back burner for awhile .. is that my precious 91 year old daddy is 'dancing with death' ... hospice only gave him a few weeks .. a couple months ago when they stepped in because of his 'signs' of life being near the end. well, on christmas day .. my sister bundled him up and drove him 2 hours away for a big christmas day dinner and celebration at my aunt's (his sister's) house ... shasha (my sister) said he was quite alert and ate like a 'big dog' .. that he truly enjoyed the day. he is frail though and continues to lose weight weekly. oh lordy! i will so very much miss him!
shasha called me on Monday to say that Sunday night a large DEER jumped through a plate glass window at the FRONT of his nursing home and ran (bloody) all the way to the last room in the nursing home (which is the hospice care room) and is where my dad is .. said the thrashing and excitement woke him up and scared him .. but the deer exited his room and collapsed. And this morning .. shasha got a phone call at 4 a.m. to say that daddy's temperature was 103. It has come down .. but .. hospice feels this is part of the 'shutting down' process of the body. So, please say a little prayer for my sweet dad .. and we will get to that dolly sometime this month. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  8:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Frannie- You just take care of your sweet family and Daddy- these last days are so precious and won't ever be here again. I cannot believe that about the deer- what a bizarre and sad spectacle, I think I would have had a heart attack! If there is anything I can do (other than send your sweet daddy love and light for his journey) please don't hesitate to ask. I will be holding you in my heart during this difficult time. Just make sure Daddy knows that the world is used to passing souls over to the other side and that he is held, like we all are, with love by the universe. Energy in any form is never lost, it just changes form. Love, Hugs and more Love, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  9:24:16 PM  Show Profile
Indeed, be there with him....hold his hand on his way out. I don't think you'll regret being there with him - if you can.
On a dolly note - funny you used feathers for hair.....I was just thinking yesterday, what do I have that I can use for hair? I have lots of birds and all kinds of feathers because everyday I pick up feathers, so many that I've even been thinking of making a feathered boa (spelling?) for myself. But I'm gonna use some for dolly hair - I thought it was do-able.

Prayers going up for you and yours.

"God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on thy heart!"
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  12:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Ditto Frannie.....love and prayers coming your way. I have a fragile hearted father myself and know how you must be feeling.The dollies will wait patiently for birth as most all babies do.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  04:35:11 AM  Show Profile
thanks for all your sweet words .. sadly i live a 12 hour drive from my dad now that we have moved to Kentucky .. when he went into hospice care .. i rushed to Virginia to tell him goodbye and how much i loved him. it was such a dear time ... my brother, sister and i surrounded him together .. held onto him, cried and said goodbye. well, he surely has surprized everyone .. his nurse said he was one of the most 'strong-willed' people she had ever known. he is such a gentle soul .. and i have many, many sweet stories to tell of him. my sister is going to call me the moment she is told he has just a few days to live and i will rush back to try and be with him in his final hours. thanks again, so much for remembering him in your thoughts and prayers.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  04:46:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh Frannie, my heart aches for you and your sweet Daddy, you must take after him! How grand to have lived a long life! Sending you and your family prayers as his new journey begins. And don't worry about the dollies, they can wait!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  04:48:45 AM  Show Profile
the first of the little rag chilluns has just arrived at the door-stoop .. her name is

ABIGAIL JUNE
Her little plaid dress is made from a snippet of vintage fabric (got it from Miss Wilma!) ... olde 'snaps' from the bottom of my button box .. bright red pigtails .. tiny stitched mouth .. and her nose is from a child's sock from the 1800's. it was tattered and torn and i just wanted to give it 'new purpose' so i made dolly noses from it.

her apron reads

.. and around her neck is a teensy hand-painated 'pitcher' from a vintage dolly size china set.

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 04 2006 04:53:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  07:16:30 AM  Show Profile
Kledith Rae came knockin' at the door!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  08:29:45 AM  Show Profile
BETTY BLISS

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  09:26:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh Ladies I am slowly caughting up with you gals. I am so excited about this dolly class. Can't wait to see everyone's dolls when we were finish. I've missed you all so much. It's been so busy at work lately, I've almost no time to visit. I'm so happy to see my Tauta Rose (bluemoon)is finally joining in. I have felt her presence for some time now. Sometimes I'm more of a reader than a writer. Isn't this just exciting, thank you Frannie for doing this.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Edited by - sqrl on Jan 04 2006 09:29:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  3:43:30 PM  Show Profile
Family first Frannie. We'll understand and keep y'all in our thoughts and prayers.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  6:28:40 PM  Show Profile
For all you girls that don't especially like the more 'primitive' or somewhat silly lookin' dollies (they do make my heart sing though) .. i'll also be telling and showing you how to create some sweeter and prissier faces. I'm on a dolly-makin' roll right now .. i think i have about 30-some made since the Christmas holidays! I can get a lot accomplished if i just keep my hiney at home!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  11:37:34 PM  Show Profile
Frannie,
What do you do with all those dolls?
Do you sell them, or just have a whole house full!lol
shirley
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  10:08:15 AM  Show Profile
Is it too late to join in the fun of making a dolly? I would really like to do this! Frannie your dolls are so sweet, they have a soul....How do you do that???

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  10:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Shirly .. there is a 'dolly orphanage' right here at cabin creek farm .. it's called:

Sister Mercy's Foundling Home for Rag Chillun .. and the 'girls' are 'adopted' from them to loving homes. I have a little 'on-line' E-MAIL thingie called: Treasure Seekers .. (you just have to e-mail me with your full name and e-mail address .. and i put you on the list to receive pictures of the rag chillun ... and also of other treasures that i have up for 'adoption'). I also have a booth at our local antiques emporium where they sit until they catch the eye of their new momma who happens to wander nearby! I had literally HUNDREDS of rag dollies at our home, Crooked Tree Hollow in Maryland .. but these little cabins are tooooooooooo teeeeeeeeeeensy for all of them! I miss having them smiling down at me from shelves and rafters!

Theresa .. would love to have you join our dolly-making club. Jus' e-mail me.

SOUL .. thank you so very much for seeing that in my dollies. When you make dollies .. you will see 'the soul' in yours too .. i promise! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  5:31:15 PM  Show Profile
I would love to join in on the dolly fun, hope it's not too late.

Cathy

Edited by - CathyM on Jan 10 2006 5:31:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  04:38:55 AM  Show Profile
Good morning miss frannie!! After looking back on the posts, I couldn't find a list of materials needed to make our little dollie makin kits, I want to start getting this stuff together to have ready for when you are, just what do we need to get started? My only outlet is Walmart, so I'm hoping I can get what I need there?

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  08:15:15 AM  Show Profile
miz sue ... actually you only need a 'few' things .. a couple others are 'optional' .. get yourself some 'osnaberg' and wally-world does sell it .. you only need about 1/2 yard. muslin is good too .. i like the osnaberg for a slightly looser weave for the more prim dollies. you can use vintage linens too .. as long as they aren't too 'weak' .. cuz' you'll be doing some tight stuffing and weak fabrics can 'shatter' and you'll have holes to repair. get some good fluffy 'fiberfill' .. not the 'cotton' kind .. but the 'silkier' kind .. it doesn't 'lump' as badly as the polyester. it should be kinda' 'silky/shiny' looking rather than 'dry' looking .. do a comparison .. and you'll see what i mean. a sewing machine is nice if you want to make lots of dollies (and easier/faster) .. but you surely can make an all 'hand-sewn' dollie and clothes too! needle/beige-y thread (a little darker than your osnaberg .. cuz' we're going to 'tea/coffe/rit TAN dye' the fabric) .. don't worry over the shades though .. they honestly all look good/ off-white, beige, tan, etc.) You can or don't have to 'match' the thread shades on your clothes .. i always use either the 'tan-nish' color for lighter clothes and brown for dark clothes. so .. just get a light and dark thread. we'll talk about 'thread colors' for appliquing and stitching faces after you start your dollie .. cuz' you might think you want to go in one direction .. and I PROMISE YOU .. your dolly might have a really different idea of how she wants to look .. and if you don't go along with that (your instinct) .. you won't be as happy with her as if you do. HAIR .. we'll talk about that as each dolly progresses too .. cuz' that also often changes in the making. if you are making a 'primitive' dolly .. you almost can't go wrong with some darker brown sheep's wool .. sometimes you can find 'wool roving' .. NOT .. absolutely NOT that curly, shiny stuff that is sold in crafts stores!!! wool roving comes in little braids that you unbraid and 'pick at' to make a hair-do. i can't seem to find it in any stores anymore .. for our first dolly .. we might use yarns, jute, broom sticks, herbs, fabrics, wool, etc. etc. for the hair .. as your dolly progresses you will get a better and better idea of what hair will be right for your particular doll.

'TURNING TUBES' (and i'll take a photo of them and post them soon) are GREAT .. if you are going to make more than one dolly .. you can actually do this 'by hand' or with a 'drinking straw' if you are only going to make one doll and don't want to invest the $8.00 for the turning tubes.

STUFFING FORK .. my most favorite tool for stuffing teensy little arms, legs, fingers, toes (we won't make fingers and toes on our FIRST dolly though) .. you can use a stick or dowel .. jus' have to be more careful with it .. if you get a big wad of stuffing half way down an arm or leg .. you WON'T be able to push it all the way down .. and this is where a stuffing fork is wonderful and anti-frustrating! I will create a pattern for this first dolly where the arms and legs are a little larger so it won't be so difficult to stuff.

Clothing fabrics .. this is where the fun begins! you will need about 1/4 yard of fabric for your dolly dress .. you can make underoos, petti-slip, aprons and any other 'embellishments' with two or three co-ordinating fabrics .. you can also use vintage hankies, linens, laces, hand-stitching and such. So you can just look through your stash of fabrics or go buy new ones for the clothes. And that's pretty much it! I'm going to start working on that pattern sometime next week. I'm so excited .. this is going to be great fun and i can hardly wait to see everyone's dollies! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  09:36:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the list Frannie. I have an item that I was going to use for the stufffing fork, could you tell me if it will work?
That Purple Thang It pushes, pokes, pulls, fudges, turns, stuffs. It makes its own uses! Every quilter/crafter/seamstress needs one! You can thread a ribbon through the slot and wear it around your neck. Made of heavy plastic. http://sewwhatsnew.biz/notions.htm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page