Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Cabin Fever Doll Class
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic
Page: of 22

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  3:36:46 PM  Show Profile
oh gurlfrenz. like my nannie usta' say: "there is always room for one more potato in the pot and one more guest at the table'! NOT that you are POTATOES! no limit whatsoever on the number of us that can take this little 'on-line' dolly-making class .. just be sure to e-mail me .. so i can just flip your name and e-mail address over to my 'dollie list'. and try and get those turning tubes (from joanne's or walmart ..or michaels .. you can also get them on-line. and that stuffing fork is a PLEASURE when making dollies .. so .. if you think you might want to make more than one (and you CAN make several at a time!) you should treat yourself to those two tools. (thanks for the website miz kay .. and i really do like barbara willis' stuffing fork the most. i did get a plastic stuffer with a little round ball on the end of it at hobby lobby .. and that little sucker is about as useless as a 6th toe on your foot!

i surprized my daughter, wednesday with a sewing machine and lots of dolly makin's for christmas so she can take this class too! i swear .. my little granddaughter when sehe was 12 years old made some of the most wonderfully primitive dolls i've ever seen.

and kay .. sometimes after a class .. the girls will tell me that they wouldn't even sell their dollies for $150. it has always been real important to me to be able to make my dollies so affordable that they might have the opportunity to live in loving homes all across the nation. you really can get more for them though if you wish to start a 'biznezz' .. and i'll be giving you all kinds of great sites to go to where you can sell them!

i stuffed a dozen more bodies while travelling to ohio .. and can hardly wait to get to hair and faces and dresses .. THEN .. we will start our class. xoxo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  5:37:53 PM  Show Profile
thanks miss Frannie, you're a peach!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  6:23:30 PM  Show Profile
37 of us are signed up for the dolly class so far .. i'll be posting all the names as we get closer to class time (hopefully by about mid-january) to make sure i haven't left anyone out. remember .. e-mail me with your name and e-mail address so i can add you to the 'official' list .. it's easier for me to make sure i don't forget someone this way. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  9:38:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh I do love all my new friends! Thanx, Frannie, for includin me! Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  11:01:58 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Home Miss Frannie!!! I take it you had a lovely holiday, as I hope all of the farmgirls did! Can I buy those two dollie tools at Walmart, as that is my only outlet here in town for such sewing items? And another welcome to Mumsie, love the snowden cottage name, I picture a cute cottage in the hills surrounded in snow, a picture post card?

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  11:14:55 AM  Show Profile
sue .. i think you can get the turning tools .. but that stuffer is VERY hard to find .. i can't find it anywhere in a store myself .. and i looked all the way from kentucky to ohio and back! (i have mine packed away somewhere and can't find it here either) ... sooooooooo .. i went to the site that kay listed above .. and ordered myself TWO .. they are $11. each plus $1.50 postage each. i strongly recommend that everyone wanting to make dolls order these ... they are NOT necessary .. as i've been toiling along stuffing with a 'dowel' for the last few weeks .. but it is soooooooooooooooooooo much eaiser with this stuffing tool. IF you think you will want to make more than one doll .. i suggest you get a stuffing fork. (I WILL make the pattern large enough so that we don't all have to struggle with getting stuffing into very tiny spaces though). soooooo .. if you think you might only want to make this ONE dolly .. don't spend the money on the stuffing fork (or the turners .. cuz' you can struggle along and do it by hand or even with a large Drinking Straw.

The turners you can get at some Walmarts .. and you can also find these on the 'sewing' products websites. They are about $8.00 for a set of three different sizes.

xo

Found this site for the stuffing forks.

http://www.barbarawillisdesigns.com/supplies.html

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  11:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Frannie- I have a sewing machine but love to work by hand. I was thinking of making several at a time and then stuffing them all so will get the fork for this. I hope you will include some of the cute messages and pattern for the apron.

Glad you had a fun and safe trip to Ohio. We sure did miss you. Emailed you a holiday letter, let me know if you didn't get it.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  12:23:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sue...I do feel so welcome and a part of the farmgirls! Don't know if this should be posted here but thought I'd tell you the story behind "Snowden Cottage" I love to name our places and spaces..and "Snowden Cottage" actually came from some of the history of our place here. We sit on 1 1/2 acres in a long valley..surrounded by slightly rolling hills and small farms...and by mountains covered with pine trees. An old church used to sit on our property..and the old cemetery is on the other side of our driveway which was at one time the west end of an old (1920's) country road or lane that was a cut across between our road and the county "highway"..it had no name in the beginning..but was referred to by the oldtimers as the road that gets "snowed in" during the winter and impassable. Eventually..the phrase got slurred..such as "you take the snowed in road across to this road..and somehow it became Snowden Road. The county named and maintained it till 1970..then abandoned it and the land it crossed reverted to the owners of the surrounding property....and our place (built in 1982) looks like a farm cottage..thus "Snowden Cottage". We hope to be moving soon to our new place..6 beautiful wooded acres with tons of wild roses (roses are my favorite!)..and a small cabin/cottage..a real haven for us..thus it has been named "Rosehaven". Hope this was not too long a story..but thought I'd share it with some of my new farmgirl friends! P.S. All our snow was rained away! GB Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  1:53:55 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a wonderful place you got there....and what a neat story about the name...I love that~!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  04:42:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Frannie, I will probably be making more than one dollie, so I will be looking for those two tools next time we go the BIG city, they have a Hobby Lobby there. And Mumsie, loved the story behind your place and it sounds just like I imagined it would, love to see a photo sometime! Thanks for sharing.

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  06:42:21 AM  Show Profile
the joy of this little dolly we will be making .. is that you can take her/him in any direction you choose .. and it can be a boy or girl doll .. black, brown, white, beige or any wild body fabric you wish. Your doll can be primitive or prissy .. a primitive (or more classic) "raggedy ann/andy" type .. anything goes. It's fun to make more than one at the same time too .. you just simply cut out two or three or four doll bodies .. and after the bodies are cut/sewn/stuffed and the arms and legs attached .. THEN comes the really fun part. If you are making more than one .. try different faces and hair styles and materials. (i'll be suggesting lots.) and i'll sketch up some 'faces' ... they can be stitched, appliqued, painted .. you can tea, coffee, or RIT TAN dye the fabric to make it look older .. i'll give some suggestions for 'painting' the entire body and then sanding it to make it look older and you can try this method .. or NOT. I'll suggest lots of materials for 'hair' from natural uncombed wool to wool roving to yarns, sissal, jute, fabric scraps, horse tail .. yep! real horse tail, broom straw .. yep! cut right offa' your sweepin' broom (preferably NOT a plastic one), gosh .. i've even reached up with the scissors and snipped a handfull of my own hair for a dolly .. and IF you are a friend with wonderful RED hair .. well, you better not be sitting too close to me and my scissors!

This will be great fun. I'm suggesting different things to find/buy as this thread goes along .. like the barbara willis stuffing fork and the 'turning tubes' .. and today, i'll suggest some 'stuffing' materials .. polyfiberfill .. olde rags .. sand .. sawdust .. natural wool .. (i think for this 'first' dolly, i would probably try the polyfiberfill .. which can be bought at walmart or joannes or hobby lobby or michaels, etc. i pefer the 'silkier' kind over the 'cotton' kind .. that tends to 'lump' .. but it is do-able if that is all you can find. of course, scissors and thread and needle.
I would suggest that everyone start a little 'dolly-making' KIT and put it somewhere special .. so that you can just grab it and get to making a dolly without the frustration of having to 'find' stuff as your dolly progresses.

True Friends, Frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  09:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Hello prospective dollmakers!! I bought the turning tubes at my local Joann Fabrics for $8.50 plus tax. It comes in a package with three different sizes. It is marketed by the name of "Turn-it-All." You can also find them online at these sites. I've never ordered from either of these, so I can't vouch for their service.

http://www.dollmakersink.com/tools.htm (they also carry the stuffing forks)

http://tinyurl.com/7z3zl (this is the Joann Fabrics online store)

Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  12:29:17 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait!! I'm making at least 3 to start, one each for my grandbabies, have already gotten a couple sweet names with at least one name apart of my grandkids names, I want these dollies to be true keepsakes for them, cuz when they get older there might not be such a thing anymore, with the world going super tech on us! Thanks again Frannie for teaching us your special craft, your a dollie.........

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  8:43:27 PM  Show Profile
As I have been to Snowden Cottage, I can attest that it is the coziest home I have ever been in. Mumsie has a real knack for decorating. Plus they is just good,loving folk that warm all the nooks and crannies of the place. Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  1:41:32 PM  Show Profile
i'm rockin' and rollin' with these dolly bodies .. have TWENTY more made and ready to bring 'alive' ...

by the way .. to show you how fast you can go .. once you've made a few dollies .. i cut out, turned, stuffed and sewed up all these dollies during the Christmas holidays.

remember dolly makers ... be gittin' some unbleached muslin .. or osnaberg for your dolly bodies ...

make that dolly kit .. which will contain .. paper cutting scissors, the 'good scissors' (for fabrics only) .. straight pins, needles, turning tubes and Barbara Willis stuffing fork (order this one at the web-site .. i doubt you will find it in any local shoppe) .. some good silky polyester stuffing .. can get this at Wally-World .. and it's only about $3. for a big bag .. which will make several dolls! and it's good for a 'first dolly' ..

i'll be contacting everyone on the dolly list that has e-mailed me ... i'll need your mailing addresses so i can send patterns. you might also want to be looking for some nice dress, bloomers and apron fabrics .. this is the fun part of 'coordinating' .. you can 'stitch' on your aprons if you use a plain fabric.

not too late to sign up .. jus' e-mail me and let me know you'd like to make a dolly too .. i think we are a class of about 40 so far .. if we get our supplies all lined up and donate about an hour a day to our dollies (and this can be in ten and fifteen increments ... we should all have a dolly finished in about a week). for those of you who can't give this much time .. don't worry at all .. we'll just go at your pace. e-mail me at anytime if you get 'stuck' or have any questions (or SUGGESTIONS) for me to share. xo

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Dec 30 2005 1:45:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  3:04:44 PM  Show Profile
i have 7 minutes to get dressed and head out of here ... for dinner at a friend's home .. hmmmm .. let's see that gives me one minute each to post some photos .. and two whole minutes to get dressed! i think i can .. i think i can!

these are some little 'stitchery' aprons i made for some upcoming dollie s... you guirls might want to get started on a cute little apron for your dollie too ... about 7 or 8 inches tall by about 5 or 6 wide .. (ish) you can always cut it down or add edgings if the size is wrong for your dolly!

i slightly tea stained them and hung them on a drying rack.

[img

click ... posted .. i'm outta' here! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  4:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message

Frannie, that photo made me laugh so hard.

It looks like a basket full of ALIENS!!!

Someone has seen too many sci fi movies........LOL

xxooo Diane
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  4:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Love the aprons! (and the drying rack!!) will have to get going on some.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  5:42:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey there girls! I love the aprons Frannie made and I can't wait to get started! I think I will make a little boy so I will embroider a patch for his pants or a pocket. I am not yet sure what it should say- if anyone has any suggestions please share them.
Blessings, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  7:10:57 PM  Show Profile
How about "I dig farmgirls"...????

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  8:35:55 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- Thanks for that most perfect idea! I will definetly have to use that one on my little boy.
Hugs, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  10:19:13 PM  Show Profile
I dig farmgirls .. that's GREAT .. see if you can't find a little 'shovel' (or is that a 'hoe') for him to hold!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  10:30:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm having trouble finding the tube turners. Could someone share the brand name of what you have? Maybe I can find some that way. Frannie - whcih ones do you have? Thanks.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Once upon a Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Ivy
Bartlett TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  2:55:28 PM  Show Profile
I found the 'Turn-it-Alls' at Hancock's. It is also called a "Bow Whip". Check at a store that carries quilting supplies. There is also a set on ebay for about $6.50. Hope this helps. Ivy
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  3:39:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ivy -- I just bought the ones on eBay. That's what I was looking at on Hancock.com but these were cheaper.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Dec 31 2005 3:39:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page