Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Cabin Fever Doll Class
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic
Page: of 22

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  05:34:12 AM  Show Profile
yes diane .. i think they are 'hemostats' with a 't' .. but then .. maybe that's just a word that popped into my head from too many hospital TV shows! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  05:36:15 AM  Show Profile
oh chris .. what a scream 'the girls' are .. i can just hear them telling stories about their 'lives' now ... tell us all about the fabrics, aprons, faces and hair! love the names too! are you hooked on dolly making now? xoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  08:52:21 AM  Show Profile
Ok girls....here's a tip for ya. I couldn't find those hemostaps....SO...I bought a pack of sishkabob sticks (you get tons in a pack) and I brake it in half. Yes I just use my hands cuz you get a better end to it. If there are long pieces of wood stickin' out. I just cut them off with my sissors. Then I stuff away. If the end begins to get 'bald' again...I just brake it again. SO CHEAP!!!
The point is to have a end that is rough so it grabs the fiberfill.

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  09:10:49 AM  Show Profile
Got my pattern on Thursday and made a dollie yesterday. HOw fun and easy! I have to run to town, but will try to post a picture of her,and make introductions. Thanks again Frannie!!! You're
Chris, your dollies are adorable!!!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

Edited by - Julia on Feb 11 2006 09:13:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

BGKnits
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Bonnie
Cedar Rapids IA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  09:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Frannie:

I would love to be on your mailing list for this project. Sounds like fun. Please include me!
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  10:02:41 AM  Show Profile
Well Howdey Bonnie!! looks like you and me are almost cousins!! Iowa girls for sure!!!!! Hubby worked in Cedar Rapids for many years...now he's Waterloo.but I still love to hit a few junk shops down your way!!!!LOL
Welcome aboard darlin'....your gonna love it here..the gals are SO nice!!!!
Sweet Blessins',
Paula :o)

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  3:19:40 PM  Show Profile
AAA!!!I am having trouble getting a picture of my doll posted. I thought someone said that photobucket was easy. Blah! I will keep trying.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  9:11:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Frannie
I got my pattern yesterday. I can't wait to get started but can't until next week.You are so thoughtful to do this for all of us.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  9:44:17 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it's getting to be that way - hooked, that is. So you all know, they are all cousins. Natalie is the oldest of the three and acts like the typical "big sister" - not bossy like, but like always mothering the other two - soft and gentle-like....cuz we all know she is an angel, right? Then missy is very smart and respectable, prim and proper. And then there's little April Loverly, who is just kind of spoiled rotten (but not mischeivious - she's cute and she knows it so she can get away with (almost) murder). Natalie's hair is yellow short yarn that I did a needlepoint stitch that makes loops (made short loops) then cut the loops and used a dog slicker brush to make it fuzzy and then I stuck a few feathers in her hair. For Missey's hair I had some single crochet practice sitting in a bag, it was a few inches long and wide and when I pulled it apart, it was all kinky and I thought that would make interesting hair. So I took the stands of yarn and went up and down the side, then the back, then the other side and sewed it in place. Miz Loverly has feather hair - lots of downy type feathers for hair, like three layers ( sewed them on before I sewed her head together, then turned it right side out - and it wasn't easy!). I just had some cotton material from various projects left over for making their dresses. I used the dolly body pattern as the dress pattern - but made it bigger/wider. April's was too long so I cut off an inch at the bottom, and hating to waste the left over, i made her a head band of sorts so it matches her dress. They have just simple aprons right now. Natalie's says "all hugs welcome", Missey's says "one day at a time" and of course April is a little pouty stillllllll, cause her apron isn't made yet. I've been working feverishly at finishing my daughters quilt. That will free me up greatly. DH is on me to finish that before I get hot into dollies - and that's as it should be - I'd be goin every which way if it warn't for him - he's a gentle sweet man. This has really been fun - and theys jist like family......an its all yer fault, Frannie. Can't wait to see what the next batch will look like. I'll be sending you something fer yer totem, Frannie.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."

Edited by - OregonGal on Feb 11 2006 9:49:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  09:58:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi this is Patricia's better half. I find yahoo photos is easier than photobucket, but the photos must be in jpeg format. Just upload them, than click on the particular photo. Copy the address of the photo from the address line in the toolbar, than post that address in the body of your posting, and it will appear as a link to the photo. It also uses up less web space here, as the photo isn't actualy on this site...it's just a link..

Dr.Stuie San, PhD

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  7:38:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie, and everyone else too! Just got my pattern in the mail yesterday, I'm excited to start! I'll try to post a photo when I get finished! Thanks again Frannie!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  11:44:49 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,

I started work on my first doll Saturday. When we had our ladies craft day yesterday, I stuffed the body parts and sewed the arms and legs on. Tonight will begin on the face and hair.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  3:59:52 PM  Show Profile
PICTURES! PICTURES! gurlfrenz .. wanna' see pictures! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  6:29:58 PM  Show Profile
some new chilluns have arrived here at Sister Mercy's Foundling Home for Rag Chillun .. they are having to sleep two and three to a bed .. this week's arrivals include:!

LAVERNE RUTH arrived with her younger cousin Lucille Ramona. Laverne Ruth is a gentle soul and is often heard reminding cousin Lucille Ramona to say her evenin' prayer before falling asleep.

LUCILLE RAMONA would rather stay up late reading a book and eating chocolate than to go to bed! The chocolate makes her 'fidgit' all night long though!

ROSE MARIE likes to hum little tunes .. and does not often answer when called. Sister Frances Catherine is fearful she might be a little 'deef of hearing' .. but Sister Mercy believes she is just in a world of her own making.

NELLIE GRACE is quite 'motherly' .. we believe she came from a large family .. but have not been able to find out just yet what became of her family .. as, she too, is the 'quiet type'. She and Rose Marie share a bed at the orphanage in the attic bedroom with all the other little rag chillun. They seem to be of one spirit and comforting to each other all day long.

ROWENA LOUELLA .. constantly eating and drinking, Rowena Louella often leaves cake crumbs in the sheets and as she has bedmaking detail this week .. she doesn't even take the time to brush them out!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/CabinCreekFarm-Kentucky/Mvc-607s.jpg" border="0">
LUCRETIA MAUDE .. while not a 'complaing sorta' child' .. has been heard grumbling every morning as she is seen washing her socks in the wash-bucket .. that 'SOMEBODY' (during the night) has PEED on MY SOCKS! (we suspect Rowena Louella!). Sister Mercy is thinking of giving that chile' her very own bed to sleep in!

MAGDALENE VIOLA and her sister, whilimena Vivian, had somewhat wealthy parents, but sadly they were both 'took' in the influenza epidemic of 19 hundred and 18. They were sent by their Aunt Fanny Mae to live at the orphanage for fear, they too, might become ill.

WHILIMINA VIVIAN and her sister Magadelene Viola do not speak much and seem very very sad all the time. They have only each other.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  8:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
The new set of chilluns are so cute! I have a question. What's the best way to attach the arms and legs to the body of the doll? I'm almost finished with my first one, the one I made my own pattern for. She looks a little bit like E.T. at the moment, but she'll be pretty just the same! I just need to know how to put her together! And also, I'm using the fuzzy eyelash yarn for hair. Some hair tips would be great! Thanks a bunch!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  9:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Dr. Stu! I will give it a try. I am rather computer illiterate, did I spell that right? Anyway, thanks again. Julia V.

My goodness, Miss Frannie, how do all your sweet dollies look so different?

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  01:02:24 AM  Show Profile
Laura .. just check for where YOUR arms are .. and then look at that dolly and place her shoulders at the SHOULDER area of the body and SEW them on (by hand) .. but good and tight .. so's if she decides to jitter-bug or something . they don't come flying off! .. make sure you leave a little 'unstuffed' area of the arm before you reach the shoulder .. for a little 'give' in her arms.

hair ... not sure what eyelast yarn is .. can you take a pic of it? i usually wind a few strands around three or four fingers .. cut it in half and sew 'wads' of it to her head seam (spaced a little bit) .. play with it .. cuz' it depends on how thick your yarn is and the size your dolly head came out.

don't worry about the e.t. look right now .. they ALL look like that at this stage!

julia .. it is amazing how faces come out different on dollies .. just a few different stitches makes a world of difference .. hair style seems to 'change the face' too!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  01:04:04 AM  Show Profile
oh .. and Rose Marie and Whilimina Vivian have already found homes!!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  12:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Hey Frannie.......Are Laverne Ruth and I related?? That's my maiden name (only we spell it La Vergne) LOL Her hair and mine kinda look the same (first thing in the morning anyway)

I Like Magdalenes dress! So cute.

Also, did you get your box from me?? I FINALLY mailed it!!

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Feb 14 2006 12:37:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  1:09:52 PM  Show Profile
there is a note in our mailbox that the mailman will deliver a package tomorrow (he always gives us a day's warning cuz' our dogs want to follow him back up the hill! bet that's it .. can hardly wait!!!!!!11

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

onequiltychick
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Kelly
Fairfield WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  4:30:19 PM  Show Profile
Frannie - I would like to join the fun and make a dolly, too. Would you please mail one to me? If you don't still have my address, just email and let me know. Are you also giving a pattern for the clothes or at least some basic how-to's? I'd be happy to send you $ to cover postage, etc. So far Rose Marie is my favorite! Thanks!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  11:33:29 PM  Show Profile
I finished my first dolly out of the cabin fever pattern. Her name is Clara Madfly, and she has a thing about bugs - they just bug her! Its so bad she carries around a fly-swatter with her all the time. She espeshly dislike those asian lady beetles thats all over the house, the ones that bites ya....oooh, she surly don't like them! She has little brown button eyes, some little embroidered eyebrows, a little embroidered nose and mouth. Her dress is of a gold & brown mottled print and she has a nice forest green shawl. Her hair is made out of a soft tanish twiney rope (don't know where that come from, jist showed up is all) made into two pigtails held with pale yellow yarn bows. She really is a doll (pun intended). It were truly amazin to see her come to life...but she kind of bears a semblentze to some other little rag dollies i've seen here abouts an' i'm wondrin if they could be related somewheres down tha line? April Loverly has calmed down a great deal since she finally got har apron with pokets and has gone to keepin house here. I gotta find a good way to get pictures on here fer ya'll tah see.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  08:31:53 AM  Show Profile
Well, Myrtle Mae, named after my grandmother on my mother's side, now has a face and hair. My, my she certainly surprised me by how her personality changed from what I thought she would be. I had fabric all picked out for her dress, but she informs me that it will never do. She prefers a floral pattern and a touch of lace to the homespun I had decided on. Well, well Myrtle...you shall have what you want.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  09:16:01 AM  Show Profile
Jan
My Mothers name is Myrtle Mae, and I can tell you right now you have a very fussy girl, my mom will only where certain things ,very prissy. She is 87 now. So you better make the outfit she wants or it will only cause you trouble down the line.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  09:20:12 AM  Show Profile
I love the name Myrtle Mae!! My paternal grandma was named Mae Virgy, her mom was Nola Mae.
I have Uncles named Cletus, Orville, Floyd and Otis. Arn't they the best names for Chickens?? Now that most of them are passed away I can feel free to use the names right? I wouldn't be insulted to have a doll, chicken or dog named after me! My dog Stella is named after a great Aunt...long passed away...when I saw her as a pup I just Knew she was stella.
My first little prim doll sits naked and with no face or hair yet until I am inspired it dress her and figure out what she wants.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page