Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Cabin Fever Doll Class
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic
Page: of 22

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  05:45:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome Jenny! I am having such a time reading this doll thread! Frannie has put a wonderful dollmaking journal on here for us - feel so lucky to be here! Can't wait to see "who" I come up with when I give it a try. Hope a lot of the gals post pics of their creations - such fun! sandi
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  06:02:26 AM  Show Profile
Got my pattern yesterday too! It's freezin cold out today, so I think it's gonna be a great sewin day!! Thanks for everything Frannie! Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  07:24:22 AM  Show Profile
PATRICIA .. use it as it is .. OR .. enlarge it if you want a bigger doll and don't want to deal with turning small legs and arms .. the ones i've been picturing are made from the original size .. AND .. a 'reduced' size. sometimes it is easier to enlarge .. but do it 'incrementally' .. try to keep the arms and legs somewhat to 'scale'. if you got those turning tools and stuffing fork .. i'd suggest just using it the size of the pattern.

OH .. and girls .. if you don't have the stuffing fork .. get yourself some of those surgical .... ohhhhhhhhhhhh .. what are they called? they look like scissors .. and CLAMP at the points .. you can also use those to STUFF with! (i actually got a pair for about $4. at a crafts store .. can't remember which one though!

theresa .. i'm doing 'carrots' right now .. and have taken some pictures of the 'pattern' i drew up .. this one can be enlarged or made smaller too .. will post that pattern and since i haven't really finished them .. i hope they come out 'worthy' of giving you kids the pattern and instructions .. the bunny will be next! have to make some more .. as i don't use patterns ... i'll have to draw one up and make it and take pics as i go along .. like i did with the dolly. will post it in THE STITCHING ROOM .. but under a new heading .. so it doesn't get lost among all our dolly postings ... be watchin'!

shirley .. it's NEVER to late to train a husband! older usually take a little more time and patience on YOUR end .. but i promise you it CAN be done! HA! i actually give HUSBAND TRAINING CLASSES!!!! (DO NOT show this messgae to your husband .. cuz' we women don't give 'no hints' about what our womanly 'wiles'! o.k. .. i THINK that's a word! someone look it up and report back!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  07:46:14 AM  Show Profile
oh shirley!!!!!!!! i have such a fun story about the dolly for Tuck Everlasting! o.k. .. are you ready for this! (and i swanee it's true!) i was contacted by the disney company to make dolls for a movie called WASHINGTON SQUARE .. i got sooooo excited!

(now .. let me admit straight off) .. it wasn't because of my 'dolly-making abilities' .. there are about a ka-billion other doll makers that 'leave me in the dust'! it was 'serendipity'! the prop people from baltimore (washington square was filmed in baltimore, maryland .. which has become a 'little hollywood' of sorts in the movie world). well, they were at a big antiques emporium looking for early clothing and artifacts for the film .. they went into one of my favorite 'victorian clothing' booths there and happened upon the 'guest and wish list book' .. that i had signed .. saying that i was interested in 'tattered and torn' textiles for cloth doll making! VOILA! they had found a connection to local doll makers!)

they wanted several 'reproduction' 1800's dolls for the children in the movie to be 'playing with'. i immediately called my doll club together .. and we made quite a few and i took them to the 'movie lot' (it was SUCH fun .. they treated me like a royal guest ... showing me all around and introducing me!) they chose several .. and if you look FAST and CLOSELY .. you will see them in two scenes! we did not charge for them .. they offered to pay .. but we were just thrilled that they would be in the movie.

SOOOOO .. when Tuck Everlasting was being pulled together .. i got another call .. to make the doll for this movie! After they explained 'the story' .. WELL .. my momma' didn't raise no fools and i knew right away .. i was 'over my head' ... and i told them so .. but then i commenced to tell them that i was going to introduce them to the country's ... nay ... the WORLD'S BEST 'reproduction' doll artist .. and her name is GAIL WILSON! and i gave them her phone number. IMMEDIATELY after our phone conversation .. i called Gail and told them Disney would be calling and why.

Well, Gail made several dolls because in the original plot of the movie the doll was going to go through a hundred years worth of life changes .. including being BURNT .. and they needed dolls for each stage of the dolls life.

AS HOLLYWOOD IS WONT TO DO (o.k. .. someone .. look up 'wont' and make sure it, too, is a real word!) .. they changed the plot and decided to put a lot of emphasis on the young couple's love story .. and the dolly got pretty much relegated to a shelf or chair as i remember from the film .. and i think she only shows up once.

HOWEVER .. GAIL did make a 'kit' of this dolly and was very successful with it.

o.k. o.k. i have 'nuther story to share .. and i swear .. these are the most important words anyone has ever, ever, ever said to me .... it's right up there with the 'i do' i heard from honey hunk on our wedding day .. and 'it's a healthy baby girl'. After spending a weekend at my home with Gail when she came to teach a dolly class ... she told me that she and her husband have a list of people that they have met in life that they put on 'the ARK' in case the world is ever destroyed .. people they believe should be there to create life on earth again ... and i about fell apart when she told me she had added me to the Ark List. don't know as i've ever had a greater compliment in my life.

well, blush! blush! so much for piety (oh my .. i am just fulla' words that i need to look up in the dictionary!) and modesty!

but i've thought often of the person i need to be to deserve such an honor. and if we all lived with that ideal in mind .. what a wonderful world this would be!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  07:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh, great dollie names! I don't need to look further than my own family to come up with mine - great names like Nanny Pearl, Daisy Mae, Mary Ocheesi, Bertie Mae - and my very fav, Naomi!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  08:09:04 AM  Show Profile
sandi .. sounds like my momma and her two sisters: Willie Faye (my mother) ... Lilly Mae and Cleopatra!

i have a good girlfriend named Naomi!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  09:01:31 AM  Show Profile
I have a necked dollie sitting staring at me, well not really, she doesn't have eyes yet, waiting patiently for me to decide on hair, eyes, apron, pantaloons, dress, etc etc...sewed her up last night, she's tea stained to perfection, stuffed and assembled, but that's as far as I've gotten. So many choices! LOVE the tube turner! I never knew such a thing existed. It takes the pain out of doll making. Thanks for this class Frannie...
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  09:09:35 AM  Show Profile
Frannie you should do your own podcast on making these dolls, so we all can see how you do it. For those of you who don't listen or watch podcasts, they are videos or just recordings you can get on the internet; there are thousands on the internet, most are free. Since we got rid of our TV we listen and watch a lot of podcasts. I am watching Lost, cooking shows and learning French. My Fiancé listens to technology shows. We have looked for farm podcasts but there aren't many. Wouldn't it be cool if MJ did one on something like braiding garlic?
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  09:20:12 AM  Show Profile
jan .. i knew those 'tube turner' and 'stuffing fork' testimonials would start pouring in .. if we just try to do it 'with our hands' .. then use the 'tools' .. OH MY! what an incredible difference. jan .. if you have your dolly clothes fabrics all picked out .. let that help dictate eyes and hair. i'm gonna' research some 'sites' for doll patterns .. where you girls can look and get some alternative ideas for faces and hair. and oh do .. gurlfrenz .. order some patterns! they are so very helpful and inspiring!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  09:20:53 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, I got my pattern yesterday. Thanks! I showed the man the envelope with your return address, and he said, "someday ours will look like that, too." No more city street numbers... only ours will probably be "Rocking T Ranch," as our last name starts with T and the man is a musician.

Annie

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
My blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  09:22:33 AM  Show Profile
rose .. i've not heard the term 'podcast' before .. great word! actually, when i was photographing and writing between 'the doin' .. i realized a live camera would have been a great idea .. but i'm much better BEHIND a camera .. than in front of it. what i really need is for someone to just do a real good job of filming a 'dolly making class' that i give .. and then we could EDIT out all the 'potty-mouth' jokes and words i might toss in from time to time!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  09:25:25 AM  Show Profile
annie .. i think my postie probably prefers a 'complete' address .. but i figger that since cabin creek farm is pretty well known in this little country area .. and since my post office address (mt. sherman) is two towns away and in a different county from where we live ... the magical zip code would probably get it back to me if need be. when sending packages .. i always use the whole address though.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  09:27:00 AM  Show Profile
p.s. gurlz .. be sure to check the STITCHING ROOM heading: "cawwotts" for the pattern and instructions i'm using for some primitive carrots for easter baskets and bunnies. jump right in with any suggestions at any time! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  09:32:32 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,

I'll check out Paula & Gail's websites! Thanks. Love your stories.

Shirley,

I concur with Frannie - older dh's can be trained, but it's so much easier when u can get one that's been pre-trained!!

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  09:32:55 AM  Show Profile
http://www.gailwilsondesigns.com/

http://www.crowsoup.com/CraftersMarket.html

http://www.rantingraven.com/Exhibit.php

start with these three sites .. and make sure to click on the 'links' too for more dollmakers and doll pattern makers!

(not everything is dolls .. but it's fun to see all the more 'prim' makin's!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  09:40:14 AM  Show Profile
http://www.agatheringofcrows.com/

http://www.nettylacroix.com/

two more good'uns to check out!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  10:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Great sites Frannie! I have purchased from soft in the head on crow soup. Love my leaping Bunny. These women are such inspirations!

Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  12:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Frannie- You would sure be mighty handy to have on the ARK...the storyteller, maker of things, maker of magic and spreader of joy and all around friendlieness. Hmmm- it makes me think that farmgirls should get an entire ark- just for us, they will certainly ammend the rules and allow another once they see what we are capable of- who better to rebuild it all...with style and flare!!!
Friends, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  12:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Frannie , Thanks for the gail Wilson stories, and Tuck Everlasting stories, How nice to be included on the Ark :)
Ive looked for the doll in the movie, and you can barely see it on a back shelf. To bad they changed the scenes. But at the time Gail said she was just so happy to have had a doll of hers in the movie.
THE SUN IS SHINNING
gotta get ot there in it
shirley
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  1:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I got my pattern yesterday, YAY. I had made 2 dolly's already. 1 I had made just to try then I got an order for one, she has a good home. Can't wait to make a bunch and give them as gifts. My daughter's friend's want them, lol. Guess I better get busy huh??? I shall post piccy's asap.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  2:27:27 PM  Show Profile
oh cathy .. i'm so happy you are getting excited about doll making! pass it on! teach others! rebekka .. an ark for us farmgirls would be wonderful .. and we'd have all kinds of critters on their with us!

after gail said that to me .. i started thinking about who in life has made an impact on humanity .. that i would choose to ride the ark. food for thought. think upon it girls .. and let us all strive to be chosen.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  3:30:25 PM  Show Profile
I got my pattern in the mail - thank you, Frannie. I posted a picture of my three dollies - my own pattern dollies - in photobucket, lets see if you can see them. I have two of yer patterns cut out waitin to be sewn up and stuffed. This is fun.
http://photobucket.com/albums/f37/Oregong/?action=view¤t=890606-R1-051-24.jpg

"...a merry heart is a good medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  4:11:26 PM  Show Profile
oh Chris, So cute!!!Wonderful job!

Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  12:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Frannie, were you talking about "Hemostaps" to use in place of a stuffing fork? I know that's what people use to restring doll parts with..
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  12:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Theresa.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page