hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  5:59:44 PM  Show Profile
We just got a wonderful wood stove that I absolutely love. I am thinking that there must be some good uses for the ashes that I hadn't thought of. Any uses??

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  6:20:35 PM  Show Profile
We always saved our ashes and used on Ice instead of salt. You can scatter the ashes on your driveway and your sidewalks and it works wonders!!
It's also a good source of nitrogen for your garden. Any left over always got scattered in the fields.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  6:23:48 PM  Show Profile
I think you use them to make lye soap.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  6:43:35 PM  Show Profile
Er, Julie, you _can_ use wood ash to make lye soap, but it is a tricky business, best left to our pioneer forbears or the very adventurous. To make a nice bar of soap that you would like to use on your body, you need to have a fairly sophisticated measurement of lye to fats and that is not always easy to do using wood ash. First, depending on what type of wood you are burning, it produces a different kind of ash. Then, you have to run water through the wood ash and strain it into a bucket to make the lye. There is an old way to tell if the lye is "just right," by floating an egg in the lye bucket, and if it floats on top, or sinks to the bottom, the lye isn't right, but if it floats about half-way down the bucket, it's about right. And since our forebears typically used only animal fats (pig or cow) for their soap, it would be a little bit easier to figure out how to prepare your lye, if you cared to keep records of how much lye and fat you used. I would tend to think that most people didn't do this, based on the number of "horror" stories one hears about "the old lye soap" that burned their skin. The other thing that science teaches us is that each different kind of fat or oil you might use in your soap requires a different amount of lye in order to become the "perfect" soap. So if you made your own lye, you would want to know its exact "measurement" in order to know what kind of fat or oil to use. So, it's really quite a production. Anyhow, it _can_ be done, but to relatively uncertain results. It is something I intend to try some day, but I don't hold out great hopes for a luscious bar of soap, such as I make using commercial sodium hydroxide and my fats and oils, which are carefully calculated on a "lye calculator."

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  04:28:56 AM  Show Profile
I also use it on icy spots on the driveway.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  06:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can use it to clean your wood stove if it has glass and also to clean your oven. Simply wet a cloth, dip it in the ash and the scour with it. It doesn't work quite as fast as those extremely toxic instant stove cleaners, but using this method will get every scrap of black out of your oven and you will be able to breath while doing it.

Then of course just wash with wet cloths until all ash is wiped out of oven.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  08:44:26 AM  Show Profile
You should ad some to your flower beds as well. I always ad a bucket or so to each of my 4x8 raised beds and turn it under during the winter months so that it's dispersed by planting time.
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  6:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Similar to adding it to the garden, we put ours on the compost pile.

Alee, thanks for the reminder about using it to clean the fireplace door. I didn't realize you could use it to clean your oven too. Yet something else I learned on the connection!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Maven's Haven Editor
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  07:48:58 AM  Show Profile
We do a couple of things with them- Either they go in the compost pile or they get sprinkled in the dust bath area for the chickens, they love it.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  09:52:12 AM  Show Profile
Since we have dirt for a driveway and thank goodness it doesn't ice or snow much, our ash goes to compost
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Uses for woodstove ashes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page