westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  05:58:26 AM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls, I just wanted to put this out there so everyone will be wise in their herbal wisdom. I know most of us are but accidents can happen. In the wild many herbs can look alot alike, it's very easy to mistake one for another, also common names can be very misleading. Even herbs in a bottle can be dangerous if not consumed correctly. Some herbs you can't interchange with others because they may not have the same properties. Only use the part of the herb that is specified because alot of times the other part can be poisonous. Also alot of herbs we can take, CAN be toxic just by taking too much of it. I LOVE HERBS, I grow them, I take them, I make things with them & use them in MANY ways. Sometimes herbs get a bum-rap because they are not studied before one starts to consume them. I am not trying to scare anyone from using them, PLEASE use them. To me there is nothing better, just use them WISELY. Reading up on them & studing them is just as much fun as using them. For Christmas I made alot of flavored vinegars & scented bath oils all from my herbs. I love and believe in herbs so much that soon I will be putting my self study on hold and will go to a herbal school to become certified. Enjoy them, love them and respect them. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

GardenWitch
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Michelle
Gaston OR
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  4:56:44 PM  Show Profile
This is such good advice. We live in a culture that encourages us to seek healing from someone else, and tells us that if something is wrong we just take the right pill and hey presto! we're cured. But herbal medicine requires action and involvement, learning and wisdom.

I fully believe that for most of what ails us the earth offers the best remedies, but she still expects us to respect her and pay attention and know what we're up to!

To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves. --Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic be wise in our herbal wisdom Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page