Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Misteltoe Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  05:52:48 AM  Show Profile
Is misteltoe a herb? Where does it grow? What are the legends behind the misteltoe? I have heard it is very poisonous.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  08:39:23 AM  Show Profile
I believe, correct me if I am wrong, misteltoe grows up in the higher areas of Oak trees parasitically. Kinda like moss. I had a boyfriend in college that use to take his shotgun and shoot the stuff down for Christmas. As far as being a herb, not sure. Maybe someone else can answer that one.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  08:42:15 AM  Show Profile
Anne, You gave me my chuckle for the day...whoooah what a guy! Now that is what I call Christmas spirit....bet he just wanted to get that mistletoe down to hang over your head for kisses, right?

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  09:00:10 AM  Show Profile
We used to do that same thing when I was little in CAlif..my dad did the shotgun thing..we would package it up and sell it all over the neighborhood just before Christmas...little money hungry kids..we sold quite a bit though.
It is toxic if I remember right. I haven't seen it growing here yet..but not as many oak trees here..so maybe that is right.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  09:15:40 AM  Show Profile
yep,the German medical community is using mistletoe for highly specialized cancer treatments and reduction of tumors.
They use it in a sort of drip method like chemo.
Anne and Jenny: love your family harvest methodsnever heard of that!!There are both European and American mistletoe varities.

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  11:39:17 AM  Show Profile
My "initiation" into Texas culture when I went to school there involved mistletoe.

I was invited on a "mistletoe" hunt. And yes, it involved shooting it out of the tops of oak trees. It is a parasitic plant and is poison but at least you can touch it unlike other tree parasites: poison oak, poison ivy, poison sumac, etc.

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  11:57:03 AM  Show Profile
Trees here in North Florida (Oak and others that grow tall) are full of Mistletoe. When the leaves finally fall or turn, you can see it. It grows and thrives on the moisture in the air, like Spanish Moss does. Long ago, if someone was standing under a tree with mistletoe, kissing was allowed, and then the legend brought itself indoors.

I have never used a shotgun (the shot may rain down on you if you do not move away) but I have thrown large pine cones and used long sticks to get it down. After a windy day, you can usually find clumps of it on the ground. I have seen the birds enjoying it at certain times of the year (especially migrating little finches) but I would not suggest eating any! Just kiss under it! :)

I hope the use of it for chemo is successful. That would be wonderful!

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  12:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Now that is my kind of hunting!!!

" Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it dont' matter"

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  4:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark -

Even though I live in the big city now, back then when I was in college I was in the country on the farm and I dated a true farmboy and yes that was how everyone got the misteltoe down from the trees and apparently that was not just us, Jenny knows and so does Lucinda . And yes it was probably so he could get kisses - but that is a whole other story and it happened long ago

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

gothique
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Susan
Norman OK
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  9:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Send gothique a Yahoo! Message
Har! Mistletoe is the Oklahoma State Flower. Some people got lathered and ruffled about it a few years ago, in the legislature, and wanted to do something about it since the state flower was a parasite. Just a lot more hot air from the Capitol. They didn't change it after all that hemming and hawing.

"Take care of the luxuries, and the necessities will take care of themselves."
-- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Misteltoe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page