BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  1:06:00 PM  Show Profile
I love mugwort and sweet annie.
However,nobody explains the artemisia family as well as the outspoken herbalist Susun Weed.
Here is a link to her amazing article on Artemisias:
http://botanical.com/site/column_susun/susun_amazingartemisias.html
read it and then let's talk s'more, okay?

BEB

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Nov 18 2005 1:09:30 PM

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  1:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh How I love Susan Weed!
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  1:41:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for posting that link! I love artemisias too! Used to grow several when I lived in Calif and havn't really tried yet since I have been here..but will! I especially love Sweet Annie!! Do you know a good source of seeds or plants??

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  2:58:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh BEB can we talk about the banned one...the wormwood, or is it too green fairyish if ya know what I mean?

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

Edited by - MeadowLark on Nov 18 2005 3:00:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  04:09:25 AM  Show Profile
I also posted this in "olfactory pleasures" about sweet annie seeds:
Richter's Herbs in Ontario has every herb seed you can imagine.
They even sell many varieties of herb plugs.
They do have sweet annie seeds but they call it sweet wormwood/spicebush.If you are ordering sweet annie seeds or plants from anywhere, make sure the latin name is Artemisia annua. Then you will be sure to get sweet annie!
BEB

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?page=SubIndexPages/Wormwood.html&cart_id=7674140.5135

www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Nov 19 2005 04:39:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  04:27:09 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlarksie,
What details I know about wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)and absinthe could fit in a thimble.I just know the VanGogh/ bohemian scene connection.
However, for you, I dug up a most thorough website on the history and rituals of absinthe use.Apparently it is making a comeback!
http://www.absintheur-guide.de/absintheur/absintheur_english.htm
Just an FYI, there is a most disturbing sound track that comes with this site.I highly advise you to turn your sound down.
It makes you want to strangle the green fairy.

www.farmatcoventry.com
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Nov 19 2005 04:37:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  05:34:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the website Sue! Very interesting...I will never try this green fairy but I enjoy the history. I know what you mean about the soundtrack...yikes!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  08:42:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much I am having Sweet annie everywhere NEXT year!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  09:20:37 AM  Show Profile
Me too!!
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  09:24:14 AM  Show Profile
I had silver mound artemisia in my back yard and just loved it. The foliage is so soft and the smell is delicious. I also love the latin name Artemisia schmidtiana 'Nana' because my grandkids call me Nana.

I have never heard of Sweet Annie until now so I will be definitely be ordering seeds for next year.

The only time that housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  12:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Mugwort (Aretemisia vulgaris) is an artemisia that grows with wild abandon here. No need to cultivate it in the garden. It will just spread and spread by underground roots in pastures and roadsides.
Not sure if this is one that grows wild where you are.
Susun Weed calls it Cronewort.
Mugwort has ancient history of having a strong affinity to the moon and to women's bodies. Knowing this, I decided that I will harvest this plant during the full moon (preferably at night, but not always)in July and August when it is in bloom.
Then I infuse it in olive oil for one complete lunar cycle. This is the base oil that I make for the Blue Moon Belly Balm massage oil (for menstrual cramps).
For those of you familiar with acupuncture,a moxa stick (made of compressed mugwort wrapped with a tube of paper) is lit with a match and then blown out to create a source of smoldering heat that the practitioner holds close to a body part that feels "cold" ;for ex. the kidneys.It also can help drill heat to an area that has been "needled". Personally, I think it feels and smells wonderful.
The Chinese believe that moxa increases much needed circulation to the area of complaint.
The same idea holds true for the menstrual cramps. The oil holds a warming quality that brings circulation, hence relief.
Mugwort has a smell similiar to Sweet Annie, but not as pronounced.
It is a beautiful wild plant that I am grateful grows wild around my barn.

BEB

www.farmatcoventry.com
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  9:31:17 PM  Show Profile
I will have to look into whether it grows wild here...I know we have lots of wild sages and stuff, but I want that sweet Annie smell..I will look into mugwort too..sounds cetainly worthwhile to have around!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  10:54:41 AM  Show Profile
so you make vermouth with it?
Go to Top of Page

GardenWitch
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Michelle
Gaston OR
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  4:52:34 PM  Show Profile
This topic is way old but I had to post ... I adore mugwort ... last summer I finally got my hands on a plant. (I've heard it grows wild EVERYWHERE but I couldn't find it in Oregon. Then I met this wonderful woman at the farmers market who grows all of her herbs sustainably and she just had the most beautiful energy about her, I wanted to follow her home just to bask in it. But I digress ...)

I planted Ms. Mugwort in my front yard and I don't mind if she tries to take over--I'd be happy if she gave the morning glory, blackberries, english ivy and pennyroyal a run for their money! I also have Artemisia Ludoviciana and I'm think of make some "artemis" smudge sticks out of them, tied with silver thread ... mmmmm ... and I JUST read about mugwort infused oil for belly rub and I'll try it this summer, I can't wait!

Mugwort is my first herb love, she's the plant that I met first in a book by Judith Berger called Herbal Rituals, and so is important to me because she marks the beginning of my learning AND because she's got such female/faery magic!

To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves. --Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  12:31:48 PM  Show Profile
Could someone give me some tips on growing Sweet Annie? Miss Frannie sent me a sack of seeds and I'm just dying to grow them in the front yard this summer. So when do I start them? Should I start them inside in little seed starters or can they just be seeded outside in the ground? What do they need? Lots of sun or shade? Oh I can't I just love their smell.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

GardenWitch
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Michelle
Gaston OR
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  8:15:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sqrl,

I found this on sweet annie:

http://www.grainsnaturally.com/abouttheflowers/flowers/sweetannie.html

Hope it helps! If it doesn't, just google "growing sweet annie" and a bunch of sites will pop up! Artemisia's are usually easy though. good luck!

Michelle

To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves. --Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  12:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michelle!!

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  1:00:04 PM  Show Profile
I have tried and tried to grow Sweet Annie~~ "They" say once you get it started it is hard to get rid of...but I dont care~~I want some so badly!!
I have tried seed..but it is usually when its been picked green and sold that way for fragrance or wreaths...I have tried to sprinkle some of the green seeds and then several times have sprinkled the dry seeds...I have tried on top the ground and even burried slightly the branch with all the seeds on it hoping for just one plant ~~
Last year I bought 3 plants from my favorite "herb lady" down South...and due to the drought they didnt make it either~~!
Can someone tell me the best time to harvest seeds? Do they sell them pre-packaged? Maybe my seeds arent ready to be planted ..
I checked the web sites and there is alot of good info out there...But doesnt really answer my question..
Jan
Go to Top of Page

GardenWitch
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Michelle
Gaston OR
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  08:05:51 AM  Show Profile
herblady, they sell sweet annie seeds here:

http://www.localharvest.org/store/item.jsp?id=4104

Apparently if you can get her through a summer she self-seeds nicely .... or TOO vigorously in the opinion of some ...

I also found this about the people selling the seed:

"We are a certified organic farm that specializes in growing for seed. We work mostly with heirloom and open pollinated varieties. Our seeds are available through our website and our mail-order catalog. We fill seed orders world wide. We have internships available, usually in the summer. Also if you have a certified organic farm and you might be interested in growing a crop for seed for us, let us know- we have a wealth of seed saving information available and we are always wanting to carry more certified organic seed, but we can only grow so much here on our own farm. Or if you are simply a small time grower looking to save your own seed, we support your cause, and offer a great library of seed saving information available for free to seed-saving folks. For more information, see our website, www.southernexposure.com."

So they might have some useful tips on their sight.

cheers! Michelle

Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  10:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the links Michelle~~ Maybe I should just order some seed and that way I can be somewhat certain...it will grow for me~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  7:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Hello Herb lovers! I used to grow sweet annie and harvest a barn attic FULL of it! If you give the plants plenty of room they will grow to the size of a small Christmas tree! That's bang for your buck!
As for Mugwort...a caution. If you burn mugwort, even outdoors, you can get very, very ill from breathing the fumes. It can cause asthma like symptoms, shortness of breath and even respiratory failure! I found this out the hard way when we burned old stock from our herb farm that had not sold the previous year. Do be careful when handling these plants. Wearing gloves and a mask is not a bad idea. I met many people in the business who had grown very allergic from years of working with various plant material. Just my $.02

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

GardenWitch
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Michelle
Gaston OR
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  1:04:08 PM  Show Profile
That's interesting about mugwort, because I've ALSO read that inhaling the smoke is used as a treatment for chronic lung trouble. I think the key with anything is moderation. ESPECIALLY artemisia's, because they have a high volatile oil content. Too much exposure can be very bad, but moderate exposure can be good for you. But yes, allergies to artemisia's are very, very common--best to make sure you're not allergic before using the plant. For example, if she gives you a rash when you handle her, don't go drinking infusion or breathing in smoke from the smouldered plant!

I've smoldered mugwort from time to time with no adverse affects. But I've never kept it burning for very long, and never very much at a time. Again, moderation is your friend here.

Go to Top of Page

GardenWitch
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Michelle
Gaston OR
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  1:06:03 PM  Show Profile
P.S. I wonder if there's a difference between smouldering the herb slowly and burning it outright? I would imagine the quality of the smoke would be different. I've never burned it in fire, just put it on charcoal or used it in a smudge stick.

I don't think I'll be having a mugwort bonfire as an experiment though!

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic The Amazing Artemisias..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page