simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  09:56:11 AM  Show Profile
OK Misty!!! I have to ask.....what were you doing with 3 goats in the van?!?! ROFDL!!! I can see it now!!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  11:19:47 AM  Show Profile
I love these stories!! I live in the city but want to be on the farm!! I can get more compost, bales of straw, pumpkins, apples and the kids into my van- my 17 year old daughter doesn't like to ride with me because she says I'm such a REDNECK!! And how many times I've run to the store with my apron on- so embarrasing to my teenage daughter- but I want to know what's wrong with it?
Lori

Have a Country Day
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  11:35:13 AM  Show Profile
I drive a Honda CRV. We bought it new, 6 years ago. It is still my new car! Haul live animals in my new car, NO way. Except baby chicks. Am I still a redneck if I only haul, chicken feed, 300 lbs, 4 big bags of potting soil, 2 5 gal cans of gasoline, the chain saw, plus all the usual stuff from a run to town, grocery, walmart, wine store, dairy store. That was yesterday, still don't have it all unloaded. A couple of weeks ago, I brought home a huge air compressor for Ole Ron's Christmas. It filled the back of the car with the back seats down.
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  12:19:32 PM  Show Profile
>> << Oh Ha!!

I think it was 2 years ago, Noah & I needed to get some new bags of shredded bark compost for all of our garden beds in Norfolk. So without even blinking an eye, off we go to some Home Improvement place, and start loading those big bags of bark onto the cart things they have in the stores for carrying lumber, and 'course, the bags of bark, compost, dirt, etc.

Soo..we pay for everything (it was at the start of the season, so it was all on sale) and waltz on out to the car...an' then it dawns on me. Ok -- fine, I Do have a station wagon, but how much Weight?? is this going to BE? Noah just shrugs, an' starts loading..and loading...

Finally we realize that the far end/back of the wagon is nearly dragging on the ground, so Noah reloads some of the bags onto the middle seat of the wagon. That seems to be fine.

Then we start driving off -- LOL -- I realize the car is handling like a Tank, I immediately put on the flashers, and there we are, on one of the busiest highways in the city, with the flashers goin' a mile a minute, and I'm clipping down the road...at 35 mph. The back of the wagon is nearly scrapeing the road, I'm drivin' along like there's nothing Wrong..people are honking and screaming obscenities at me...sigh..

We made it home, an' I gotta tell you, it was the most funny trip to the hardware/home improvement store Ever!!

~~Laurianne~~
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  10:37:02 AM  Show Profile
ok...this is so funny I can hardly stand it. He's not a farmgirl but he's married to one..me. My dear hubby found four huge oriental rugs, rolled up leaning against a dumpster and knew I'd love them. The whole back end of his truck was full of construction debris and it started raining. Well, he somehow stuffed all four of those rugs into the cab of his truck and when he pulled into the driveway, all I could see was his face sticking out of the driver side window because there wasn't any more room in the truck for his head! It makes me wanna pee everytime I relive that sight.....I sure do love the rugs!
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  1:59:17 PM  Show Profile
What a great find, Debbie. Makes me want to go dumpster diving. I love finding stuff on the side of the road. I remember once seeing something shiny and long on the side of the road. We turned around and went back. It was an old timey chicken feeder. It was great. I also stop for buckets and wood. There's no telling what'll fly out of someone's truck.

Someone had a bumper sticker that said "I brake for junk". I need one.

I thought I was going to have to get more hay in my car today. I had one bale left and all this rain, the animals eat so much. So there was a little break in the rain, so I went and got my hubby's truck. But when I got to my friends barn to load up, it was a muddy mess. I had forgottem the back tires are bald. I almost got stuck. So I had to park about 150 yards away from the barn and haul one at a time til I found a wheelbarrow. Still just one at a time. Then it started raining again.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  4:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
what great stories!! luv them...keep them coming!....

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  06:09:03 AM  Show Profile
My husband hauled home a whole room's worth of acoustic flooring tiles in the trunk of his '73 Coronet. It was dead of winter and he found them in a dumpster behind the local public tv station when they remodeled a broadcast studio. It took about 10 trips!

Funniest recent hauling story isn't actually about what could fit in the car, but rather about what it took to get it there...my mil was moving and needed to have the storage box for a generator removed from her property. It was chained to a tree, and when we got there (1.5 hours from home) we learned that she had forgotten to bring the key to the chain lock. She wanted us to go home and come again another day to take care of this. Well, no way were we giving up a second weekend on her silly generator box. So my husband and his cousin found an old bow saw and an ax and cut the tree down. The mil was really mad, but hey! Beggars can't be choosers, right?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Well, It's Official... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page