palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  05:56:47 AM  Show Profile
my husband was saying that we should get a sauna....supposedly you can order one that comes free-standing and we can put it outside. anyway, some are electric and some you have hot coals in and you pour water over them....(i used to go to one when i belonged to a gym, but that was a while ago and i don't really remember a whole lot about it----nor did i pay a lot of attention as it wasn't mine) anyway, i'm having the hardest time losing weight and he said that you can sit in one and it actually raises your heart rate and you lose weight......does anyone know much about this, and is it true? also, is anyone familiar with the two types, or brands even, that they might recommend? thanks ladies!

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  06:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
From what I know about sauna/heat weight loss is that when you get hot, your appetite decreases. So that is why if you swim, you are more likely to feel really hungry after a work out- the pool keeps you cool. So what I do is I work out which gets me hot, take a shower and then got sit in the sauna. That helps make me not hungry for HOURS after wards.

I would think that saunaing only might maybe help you lose a few pounds initially, but I don't know how long a sauna weight loss program would work. Not to sound negative- because I would love it if it turned out to be true- but the weight you most likely are going to lose is water weight from sweat- which will come right back the second you drink anything. But you could use it after exercising to help curb rebound hunger and that way would definitely help lose weight

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  07:28:53 AM  Show Profile
Sue, We have a Swedish wood burning sauna. I love it. We actually were able to get the unit that burns the wood for free because my BIL was building one & his unit came with a small cosmetic dent in the back. They shipped him a new one & did not pick up the old, so that was a savings of several hundred dollars. We had a small block building constructed, & then ordered the interior kit from a hippie guy in WV. He was VERY helpful, & they build these kits custom. They are a special kind of cedar(can't remember what kind) without knots as those can get very hot. It has a full glass door so we can see out, but there are several options. We then sided it in cedar, & put on a cedar shake roof to match the house(we live in an A Frame)
You just keep small pieces of wood around, build a fire & in about 1/2 hour it gets very hot. I go out there, take a bucket of water, sprinkle some cinammon(or sometimes fresh rosemary & lavendar) on top of the rocks, pour the water on & it is a real delight. I take a book out, & spend a half hour or so relaxing & detoxing.
I don't think it will help with weight loss, but it is a great for detoxing & relaxing.
I know they have electric units too, but we love the woodburning one., The pops & crackles of the fire add to the overall experience. I have a pic of it somewhere. I will post it later; maybe I'll try to get some interior pics as well.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  12:25:44 PM  Show Profile
hey thanks, that sounds really interesting. i'm not familiar with "wood burning" but i bet it smells great too! and i like the idea of putting lavender, etc. on it. i'm not figuring on losing a lot of weight, i know diet and exercise, too!!, but the detox sounds good and like i said, i heard it gets your heart rate up and supposedly you lose some weight(??) which would be nice. if you can post some pictures, i'd appreciate it. thanks so much for the info!! sue
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  6:30:44 PM  Show Profile
Sue,

Hey! My husband sells far-infrared saunas. You can buy either a 2-5 person unit that you walk inside or you can get one that you sit in a chair and your head is out that is a 1 person sauna. If you are interested check out their website www.detoxamerica.com. Email me if you have any more questions. Oh, and with this sauna you can burn 500 calories in 1 hour.

Blessings!
~Farrah

http://oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic sauna anyone?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page