True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  5:07:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm a redneck farmgirl!

My husband got Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck book. One of the jokes in the book says you might be a redneck if you know how many bales of hay you can get in your car. Well, I can get 5 and could probably get 6 but I don't want to get hay on the ceiling! Sides and bottom is ok but not hanging from the ceiling. That's where I draw the line.

We looked to see if he said anything about how many pigs, calves, goats, sheep and poultry can fit in your car, too, but I guess he didn't think about that yet.

So how many more redneck farmgirls are out there??

LOL, Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  5:52:29 PM  Show Profile
That is hilarious. As soon as I read your joke I knew the answer for me... I can also get 6 in my vehicle!!!
Oh and a good tip for you, put the bales of hay in the X-Large trash bags....no hay anywhere. Yup, guess that makes me a red-neck. Oh and just to prove the point....we can fit 3 goats in our van. Don't ask, it's true.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  06:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
How fun! I know some real rednecks!(I'll have to think of what makes me one) LOL

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71

Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  06:35:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness I have had straw hanging from my van ceiling, count me in as a redneck farmgirl

I love the picture of the deer eating the nose off snowman. Frosty does not look to happy about it.

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  07:51:09 AM  Show Profile
well, unfortunately for me, I am only willing to put two in there..lol. but four do fit in the back comfortably(without scraping my ceiling), as Ive had to do it before. ;) So guess that'd put me in too! :P
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  08:36:37 AM  Show Profile
No hay for me, but I do know how high to shovel the pile of mulch in the back of my Geo Metro. Just enough so that it doesn't spill over into the passenger seat - it's more of an art than a science ;)

I noticed once that somebody also has a book "You know you might be ghetto if..." There's a lot more in common than you might think between redneck and ghetto. Somebody ought to host a social where country folk and city folk could bond over uses for duct tape and clothesline.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  10:01:18 PM  Show Profile
I have put hay in a small little car before , so I guess I am a redneck too. the farmer selling it was laughing but I didn't want to waste gas coming back with the trailer. so off I went. hehehehehe

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  11:06:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh -- I guess I fit the bill. I usually only buy 2 bales of hay or straw at a time, but more will fit. I can also haul 8 trashcans full of compost OR 1/2 cord of firewood OR about 20 bags of grain. More bags will fit but I don't think I should put more than 1000 pounds of feed in there. And this fall i hauled my 24 meat birds to my friends to butcher. I think I'm over the top.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  07:20:05 AM  Show Profile
I sure am glad there are more redneck farmgirls out there!! My husband was reading the book in the living room Christmas morning and made everyone listen to that one. They all looked at me and we just laughed for the longest. It had my name all over that one.

I actually have a Trooper, so it can hold a lot of things. I have had so many critters in the back it still has the animal smells. When I went to get my Lamancha doe in Tn. a few years ago, I had so many people looking and pointing. It is funny to see those goats with no ears. They look like a sock puppet!

So this is interesting to see the many things that people haul around in their cars and vans. Very innovative farmgirls we are.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Dec 27 2008 07:22:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  07:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Kristin! I am soooo enjoying this topic!!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  07:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Last night when our kids left to go home, we loaded their van with firewood hubby had split a month or two ago, and we got a good load in there too. Does it count to be a redneck gal, if your van can carry a half cord of wood?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  08:05:25 AM  Show Profile
Yes! Especially if you can't get the door shut and you have to tie it together with rope! That'd be really redneck then!

I remember one time driving home through Flintstone (my little town up the road) there was a little car that was going maybe 10 mph through town with a double mattress in the back seat folded up with another one on the roof! The guys were holding on to them driving down the road. There were some water co. workers on the side of the road doing some repairs and I could see one of them pointing to the car and saying "only in Flintstone!" and laughing! It really was quite a sight. That happens a lot around here. I guess this is redneck country!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  09:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Oh, you true redneck farmgals are sooooo funny! I live on a farm too but don't have any animals( my dog, Dash, is my baby). I have never been on a real farm so I am not even sure why you would carry hay in your car to begin with!? LOL I have seen the mattress being held by hand driving down the road, I thought that was 'beverly hillbillies' is that the same as redneck? When I was a kid my mom would give me very very tight perms (like an afro nearly, not intentionally) when we would go on vacation I was often car sick, so they told me to stick my head out the window and let the fresh air run down my throat. One time we stopped in a small town (remember this is in the 50's)and I got out of the car and two old duffers were sitting on the wood porch in front of the store, burst out laughing. I really don't know what was so frightful and funny! Was I a redneck for not fixing my hair? LOL

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com

Edited by - kpaints on Dec 27 2008 09:23:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  09:57:08 AM  Show Profile
To answer your question Karen-- Desperate times call for Desperate Measures-- and quite a bit of inventiveness as well!!!

I carried hay bales in MY car because I either couldn't drive the truck that was available (I always missed 3rd gear in the old Ford-- which was a HUGE four--door--1960--something--BEAST and a bit dangerous for ME to drive on busy streets once I got into town with it!), or there was no truck available and I needed the hay ASAP. Plus, my husband told me it was MY problem when I said I needed hay (so much for Chivalry!).

I don't have to worry about hauling hay in my car anymore though, since we've grown our own for several years now, but oh, do I remember those days!!!!

And YES, I AM a true Redneck farmgirl too and PROUD OF IT!!!! (as Heather likes to say----) YEE-HAW!!! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  10:54:50 AM  Show Profile
I saved up my egg money and bought a beautiful 1991 Ford Ranger Pick-up Truck....NOW I DON"T HAVE TO PUT HAY IN MY CAR!!!!!
How redneck is that? YEE-HAW!!!

You girls slay me...thanks for the laughs! - Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  11:02:15 AM  Show Profile
One time we drove clear to Leon, West Virginia in a nearly new Chevy Lumina APV minivan to look at piglets for sale. We took the van so we wouldn't be pressured into buying piglets on the spot. The old farmer says, "If ya want them piglets, you gotta takem' now. Might not be here tomorrow." So we drove home nearly two hours (with four bags of smelly piglets in our van). Every Summer after that, when the temperature in that van got above 80 degrees...it would smell so bad, we could hardly stand it....we sold it in the winter.
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  11:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
yes, Jeannie, I think 1/2 cord of wood int the car counts!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  4:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, this is too funny, ya'll! 4 bags of pigs in the car! I know how that is. Pigs and chickens are the worst. The smell does tend to hang on for a long time. We went up on Sand Mt. several years ago to get a few big ole white rock hens. In Jan. It was freezing cold and we drove home with the windows down! That was about the nastiest smell ever. Oh the memories!

I am borrowing my friends horse trailor in a few weeks to take the 4 hogs to the slaughterhouse. There's no way they're getting back in my car! Redneck or not, that ain't happenin'!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  8:46:30 PM  Show Profile
Yep I guess I qualify.. We just returned home from our Christmas trip. The whole back of our explorer was filled with three plastic tubs of presents, three duffle bags of our clothes, a snow shovel, the dogs bedding,and Dog,tire chains,a basket of books, and then we stopped at Costco for Huge package of Paper towels, TP, two boxes of canned foods, and a cooler full of refrigerated stuff. To cases of Coca cola I swear we could not tuck anything
else into the car! It took forever to unload once we got home. But We made it!

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  8:59:55 PM  Show Profile
4 bales and a cage full of banties in our Suberu count me in! YeeHaw !!!!!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  4:38:57 PM  Show Profile
oh sure Jenn,,,,,wish I were still back in Moorpark so I could photo you in your "farmgirl mode" & post your pic on my blog! lol! I miss MRPK......I'll have to mail you some snow! lol!
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  5:05:59 PM  Show Profile
Am I still a redneck if I spend my Christmas gift card on chicken feed? The giver thougth I would go out and get something pretty. Chicken feed is pretty, well those eggs the girls lay sure are : )

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  01:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
What about my clothesline...it's homemade by me...strung back and forth several times uneven from the back porch to the side of the building, It's cattywampus (crooked) but I love it! Also I leave the hand decorated clothespins on it all year and the handmade pin holder on it just because I like the way they look. I am the only one in my neighborhood apartment complex who did that.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  01:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I also made a new cobbler style apron that I loved so much I had to go wear it to the grocery store...I did get some strange looks though...lol

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  06:34:57 AM  Show Profile
Linda, only people who are Not farmgirls gave you those strange looks.. I wear mine often to town.. just forget to take it off..

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  06:47:09 AM  Show Profile
I love the clothesline all crooked. I had one at the house before this one strung all through the trees. My kids didn't want to use it because of the bird poop that got dropped now and then.

And yes, LindaEllen, spending your gift card on feed is something I'd do. My brother sent me some birthday money a few years back. When I got it I called him to thank him and tell him I was going to buy a few sheep with it. So now he kids me all the time about that. Any extra money around here goes to the animals. This year he sent me a Target card. I can still buy dog and cat food there!

Kris

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Well, It's Official... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page