Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What's everybody working on?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What's everybody working on? Next Topic
Page: of 4

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  05:39:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Judes! Put me on your gifting list! What great stuff!!!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  10:05:40 AM  Show Profile
Making Truffles and Chocolate covered Cherries for friends. I will be making party favor boxes to put them in.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

onequiltychick
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Kelly
Fairfield WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  2:32:59 PM  Show Profile
... baking cookies, sewing little old-fashioned looking clothespin bags, making log cabin quilted pincushions (so far I've made 24 of them!), baking small loaves of bread for my co-workers, and I made a pair of flannel boxers for my DH. It's "Ford Trucks" fabric and he'll flip when he sees them! I can hardly wait 'til Christmas!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  2:49:23 PM  Show Profile
It's often said that we'd like to bottle up the energy of a child. Well, I say, let's bottle up all y'all's energy and we'll make millions of bucks!
I'm doing a lot of the same things y'all are....baking, sewing, cooking, crocheting, crafting, etc.... Nothing really unique here, except, Christmas morning won't have many presents because we are awful about not wanting to wait to give things to each other. So, we've already been spreadin' the love. The rest of my week will actually be pretty restful.

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  3:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
That's so funny, Catherine! I'm familiar with the type. My DH is very into surprises, and I am terrible at them...so as part of his gift I am not telling him what I got him for Christmas. Thing is....he is so used to me spoiling the surprises, that he thought I was being a scrooge by saying no to certain things. ( For instance, I told him no tree in the living room, because I was going to surprise him with a 12 foot tree in our garden. He thought I was just being grumpy when I said I didn't want a tree this year...ruined that surprise) He has spooiled almost all of his surprises because I am trying so hard to keep them a secret. I got mine early, a new Singer. Woohoo! But the way I look at it...aw what the heck....let it be Christmas all month!

Katie-ell....Email me your address & I'll send ya something!

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com

Edited by - Judes on Dec 20 2005 3:36:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  02:38:47 AM  Show Profile
My goodness, you are all so inspiring! The nummies sound wonderful and i think i will take a stab at the cheese ball you make aunt jenny. I have been making them at work for the seniors but a simplified version. They love them also. After cooking for 150 folks every day it is hard to get motivated to come home and do more, but i think i will.
My son was home for a week and made a wonderful boot/shoe shelf with a sunken top that holds gloves and hats. I have been looking for something to alleviate the continuous pile of shoes and boots by the front door, and my hubby bought the wood, and dear austin built it. Best christmas present he could have gotten for me!
Judes, your cookies sound wonderful! Mmmmm! I have already gained two pounds from the goodies all around since thanksgiving!
jenny louise
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  06:15:09 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday a neighbor bought us a sweet treat...it is cookie dough in a "gladware" type container with baking instructions. Neat idea. I remember years ago doing that with sugar cookie dough (this one was choc chip) and making it into a roll and rolling in colored sugar and wrapping it in saran wrap or waxed paper to give slice and bake cookies to give ..they were pretty and you could make alot at once and just deliver the rolls all at once. Hadn't thouht about that one in years.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  09:50:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm working on a little quilted snowman wall hanging that I started last year and did not finish by Christmas. If all goes right I should finish it this evening. It has a snowman and a tree and mittens and hearts and little birds and the moon and some stars at the top. Should turn out pretty nice.

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  1:47:42 PM  Show Profile
Julia V., ....consider yourself (gently) kicked..I know you can take up the knitting again..I know how well you do other things. I have been knitting "fun fur" scarves for my 2 (grown) daughters and a hat for me..and using up some cotton yarn for dishcloths (stocking stuffers and gift exchanges)..pretty basic..but didn't have time for the projects I wanted to do..socks for everyone. Made some more lotion (today) and soap (September) for gifts, too.

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  3:20:31 PM  Show Profile

Here's what I have been working on..............

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  6:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Mary, I love your wall hanging! It's so fun to read of all the different projects everyone is working on. Busy hands! I've been knitting like crazy this month on a shawl for my sister. The pattern is called a Turkish stitch; reminds me a little of a salmon net made out of bulky yarn - LOL The yarn is a beautiful varigated midnight blue/teal/flecks of purple. I think I'm about 3/4 of the way done so my hands will be flying over the next few days! Happy stitching everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2005 :  10:20:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Mumsie for the kick! I asked one of the ladies at church to spend time with me to get me knitting again. So after the Christmas season...
Making more chocolate goodies for Christmas dinner guests.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2005 :  07:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Hey Julia....did you start spinning yet? Weren't you going to borrow a wheel and give it a go?? I got mine repaired and have been giving it a try - going to take a class in January. Can't wait!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2005 :  7:08:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julia, Yes, I finally have the afore mentioned spinning wheel. As I go it before Christmas, I haven't had a real opportunity to spin yet. I am hoping to get to it very soon. I heard that there is an older couple here in town who both spin. I plan on giving them a call this week to see if they will give me a couple lessons to get me going.
Mumsie C, you'd be proud of me as I made a couple crocheted dish clothes today while Dale was looking at cars. They made me think of you, as I remember you making them, way back when. I think I got the bug! Now, once I learn to spin... thanks for the kick!

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  05:14:29 AM  Show Profile
As a person who couldn't sew her way out of a paper bag, let me tell you how gratefully these gifts from the heart will be received. My daughter makes beautiful things, and has a real talent for it. My mom used to make lovely things too, but alas the talent seems to skip a generation sometimes. Anyway, I love to read of your projects, and I'm grateful to be on the receiving end from time to time. There's nothing else quite like it.
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  06:59:52 AM  Show Profile
I am very proud of you Julia...glad I could "kick" ya into gear!! I am almost obsessed with knitting right now and all things "wool"..yarn and fabric. I went to Value Village yesterday with a friend..and found a (big)"vest" made out of awesome yarn..that someone never finished..for 99 cents..brought it home and took apart and have several nice balls of some fabulous yarn!! That's one way to fill my yearning! I have also been kinda collecting wool shirts and skirts, etc. for fabric for some homespun type projects that are bouncing around in my head. Anyway..don't stop now! Mumsie C.

Edited by - Snowden Cottage on Dec 27 2005 09:03:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  10:24:33 AM  Show Profile
I am knitting on a ear flap cap for one of kids..I promised them all one so whoever claims it when I am done will get it...I have this one and two more to do.
I knitted gobs of dish cloths for gifts and was delighted that my sister sent me two that she had knitted for me. What fun. I hardly ever keep any for myself! I love to recieve homemade gifts and I try to only give them to people who appreciate them.
I am loving hearing about all your projects. I am itching to do some spinning. I have bags of wool ready to wash in the laundry room waiting, and tubs of wool all washed and ready too, so I need to just get going!! I waited until after Christmas but now I am ready. I got the girls mini sewing machines for Christmas and promised to help them get started though, so I guess it will be a couple days..but I can dream of fiber fiber fiber!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  3:18:47 PM  Show Profile
I am with you Aunt Jenny, I am ready to spin. I even found some big spools of wool thread at the thrift store. It is natural color and is fairly thin so I want to ply them together and then dye them. I am a fiber/textile farmgirl!

Go to Top of Page

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  11:25:32 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhh, I love to hear others' excitement about fiber projects! I, too, love all things fiber: spinning, knitting, felting, and beginning in January I am going to learn how to use my table loom so hopefully will add weaving to my list of fiber joys.

Julia, I'm anxious to hear what you do with your wool thread. How fun! Keep us posted, okay?

Blue Apple, keep me posted on your spinning lessons!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  12:43:22 PM  Show Profile
A friend stopped by last night. She was wearing a flted hat her sil made her for Christmas. It was so cute. I have never felted before but want to learn. I have shrunk old wool sweaters before, on purpose, for using for craft projects, but never knitted and then felted. Gotta learn.
Mumsie, when next you are down this way for your annual trip, we can knit and have tea.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  1:38:53 PM  Show Profile
today I have been embroidering some little sayings on some tea dyed muslin to make little "pin pillows". I love to embroider and with my stop and start days while the kids are home from school this week it seems the best project to be working on. I may get some sewn up and stuffed tonight when they all go to bed. Whew. I sat last night and thought of little things to embroider on them.
making felt is something I want to learn to do this year! I said that last year too..but really..this is the year~~

Jenny in Utah
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  2:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Julia..in the recent Interweave Knits "Crochet It" mag..there is a project for a rug, chair pad, and coasters that are made to be crocheted then "felted".. they (the coasters) are on my list for a great gift idea..gonna work a bunch up and put them in my "gift trunk"..where they await being given for b-days, showers, Christmas, etc. I could copy the pic and instructions and send them to you..??
I'm looking forward to that tea and knittin..LW'n this spring! Mumsie

Go to Top of Page

GardenWitch
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Michelle
Gaston OR
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  3:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh knitting! My enthusiasm is bordering on obsession! I just found a source of 100% Alpaca yarn from animals that are raised really close to my home. The best part is it isnt' dyed--they keep the wool from each alpaca separate and he shades range from deep chocolate brown through taupe and tan to a pale ivory and it's soooooo soft. I'm very much a beginner though, so I have been using inexpensive synthetic stuff to learn on ... but as my skills are growing I want to start making delicious scarves. My friend and I have a small crafts business and I dream of finding lots of sources of local yarn to makes scarves, hats, wraps, bags out of ... and I'm thinking of knitting little cell phone bags with shoulder straps, I think they'd be cute!

Right now I'm knitting this adorable pixie-ish scarf, I took a pattern for a trivet that involves sort of triangular sections with zig-zag edges, and adapted it by ommitting a row of stitches so the triangles flip-flop on their way up the scarf, and it has a zig-zag edge. I'm using purply variegated cotton yarn and it's SO cute! My partner's little girl is coveting it!

Loooooooove knitting ....
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  9:36:36 PM  Show Profile
I am starting to have the same obsession. I learned to knit as a girl in 4H, but have been relearning. I have always loved textiles and such so the thought of having skeins of wool all over the house... I want to get a fleece and go through the whole process. I have a friend who is going to help me get started. I can't wait. Then I will be busy like you Michelle!

Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  5:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Me too, me too! I've been crocheting for several years, and am fairly good at it, if I do say so myself. I tried knitting before Christmas, not really understanding the amount of time required for a beginner. It frustrated me when I realized I'd learned the knit stitch incorrectly, so I abandoned it in favor of more suitable Christmas gift projects, but I've recently picked it up again & re-taught myself, and omg! It's sooo much fun! I'm not working on any particular project right now, but I am practicing the heck out of my stitches, and when I feel competent enough, I'll make a ribbed scarf in Cascade 220 (a lovely shade of green...can't remember the name offhand, though). I've got tons of yarn & projects waiting for me, ranging from a hat in Baby Grande Alpaca to a rollneck sweater in Cascade 220 Pistachio. Yarn is fun!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What's everybody working on? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page