Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What's everybody working on?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What's everybody working on? Next Topic
Page: of 4

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  5:59:27 PM  Show Profile
embroidering today, but I may do some knitting later for a change. I am finishing up a "flap cap" to sell...my kids prefered other colors..go figure! So I will finish this one to list on my new online shop. Then back to making some for the kids...The one I am making was too "neuteral for them..they want brighter colors!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  6:21:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny, Where can we find your online shop? I'd love to take a peek at the goodies you've been working on. Luzy

P.S. Please give us a Mona update.

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  7:18:03 PM  Show Profile
It is www.AuntJenny.etsy.com thanks for asking..
Mona is doing great and getting bigger and wider every day..but dosn't look like she will calve any time soon. At least not in the next couple days unless she fools me. I am sure ready for her to go ahead and get it done!! BUT..it has been really really cold the last couple nights and is supposed to be warmer at the end of the week..so I guess it is a good thing. My Uncle Danny, who is my mom's brother and was raised on a dairy farm is coming to visit some time this month. It would be perfect if she calved while he is here to help!!
I will take new pictures of her tomorrow..she is getting really wide. Her udder is bigger but not full for sure yet.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

GardenWitch
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Michelle
Gaston OR
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  7:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Still knitting, but the past few days I've slacked a little because I found this cool blog site and started a blog and reading other people's stuff and it's a really fun community. So I've been distracted ... and tomorrow night I start my night class ... and this weekend my partner and I are going to clean out his (frightening) garage and get stuff done around the house (because for the first time we both have a weekend with no plans!).

Oh and I started a new scrapbook, I haven't put any of our pictures in an album for almost two years! And this one is turning out sooooo gorgeous, I wish I had a digitial camera ... I think we're going to have to get one soon, we both want one!

Still thinking about those little pillows too ... and Aunt Jenny I'm gonna have a look at your site one of these days ... but I'm afraid I'm turning in to one of those scary internet addict people!

To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves. --Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  12:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
Aunt jenny, I love those little pillows you make. They remind me of a small project that i made for my friend for her wedding this summer. She needed a ring bearer pillow to match the one that she already had. The one that she had was her great grandmothers so it was old. The sewing was simple but dying the fabric to match the other pillow took a couple of tries. I loved the antiqued look of your little pillows. Hoope verything goes well with the birth of your calf...you wil definalty have to show her off. (or him....as you can see i have a gender bias...haha). I am working on a a knitted cap for a toddler birthday party on Saturday...not sure that it will be finished. i hope i can finish it though, it looks so cute it the picture. It has little ear flaps. I have to work all week and that uaslly impinges on the knitting. I gave this little girl my first ever pair of booties that i knitted..so it would be nice to give her the first hat i ever knitted...GardenWitch, i am quickly becoming an internet addict as well...is this like a support group or does this help us slip further into addiction ?? haha Peace,

Stacy

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  07:52:51 AM  Show Profile
I have been working on teaching myself to knit in the round on 4 needles. I hope to make some socks soon. I got some awesome wool yarn that makes stripes as you knit. The local craft shop is closing :( but the lady whos has the yarn had everything 30% off so I got some neat yarns and a stich counter & some awesome bamboo circular needles.
Does anyone know if you can make socks on circular needles? I haven't tried to use those yet, I need to look up some directions.
I also want to finish a x-stitch piece I have been working on for 4 years for my moms birthday in April....
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  08:02:36 AM  Show Profile
I have heard that you can knit socks with two circular needles..I suppose like using two straight needles, except that they bend so you can do it in the round..like where two of the double pointed needles would go..half the stitches on each needle..if that makes sense. I havn't tried it yet. I knit socks quite alot but i am such a creature of habit that I do it the same most all the time. Found a pattern I like and I don't do much different except changing up yarns, colors and stuff..boy I wish there was a great yarn shop closer than Provo to here (an hour and 1/2!!!) But maybe it is for the better!!
I love the yarn that makes the stripes or patterns as you knit. I use it quite alot!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  08:33:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bridge

I have been working on teaching myself to knit in the round on 4 needles. I hope to make some socks soon. Does anyone know if you can make socks on circular needles? I haven't tried to use those yet, I need to look up some directions.

Yes you can! There are several books out on the subject--Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles--is the one I can think of right now. There is also one with a method called The Magic Loop which uses one long circular needle. My DD has that one. I watched her do that one day and I'm not sure I 'get it' but it can't be that difficult. She was a brand new knitter and she figured it out.

Socks are one of my favorite things to knit. I'm sure I've mentioned it here before and it's what got me interested in knitting again a few years ago. I use 4 double points though and I like to do it that way. I'm sure what intimidates people about using the DP needles is seeing all of those needles sticking out. Since I know how to do it that way and don't have a problem with it I guess I don't see the point in changing now. But that's just me. Sometimes I'm a little set in my ways....lol.

Have you discovered Socknitters at Yahoo groups yet? Lots of info.

Happy knitting.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  10:01:45 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you worked with fabric yo-yo's? I have a whole bag that I worked several years ago, and I'm going to try and contruct a coverlet.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  9:54:35 PM  Show Profile
I am so wanting to get knitting socks, it just seems so homey to knit socks, especially in winter. Got some spinning done today. Getting the hang of it, though my strands aren't even. Tried some plying with two balls of yarn, Turned out well.
Question. How do I set the twist. One source that I have said to put it in a plastic bag with a bit of water, and set it in the warm sun. Being that it is dead winter, and all I have is rain... there has to be a better way.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  10:12:42 PM  Show Profile
I have always set the twist by wetting the yarn lightly and hanging outside (inside works too..I have used a shower rod) with a little weight at the bottom of the skein, which should be opened into a loop. (Does this make sense?) I have used all sorts of things as a weight...not too heavy..just enough to keep it straight not stretch it. I really need to get some spinning done and just keep getting sidetracked with other stuff...sewing tonight!!

Jenny in Utah
www.AuntJenny.etsy.com/" target="_blank">http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.comwww.AuntJenny.etsy.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  11:56:40 PM  Show Profile
I do the same as Jenny and for the weight, I use spray bottles with big handles, if they are empty all you have to do is add as much water as you want to for the weight. I also hang then from the shower head .
If I am doing lots at a time, I run the skeins thru the spin cycle(just for a little bit) to get out the excess water ,and they dry alot faster
shirley
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  06:17:22 AM  Show Profile
Debbie/Blueroses -- I collect yo-yo stuff! Coverlets and pillows and diamond-shaped dresser scarf things. How fun to make new ones. The coverlets I have usually have a border of solids (and maybe a grid pattern of solids) and then lots and lots of different prints, sometimes arranged by color. . . . should be easy to construct . . . the time-consuming part is sewing all those little circles. Good for you, taking up this old craft.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  06:24:11 AM  Show Profile
I have been planning some sort of yo-yo thing lately too...love the look. I did some clowns with yo-yo's years ago and have been given a few small things over the years that friends have made. I was thinking maybe a table runner with cute 30's repro prints...I love those!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  10:05:42 AM  Show Profile
Here's something I just finished. This is DH's birthday shirt, finished last night. Never mind that his birthday was Tuesday. He loves it. And it fits him.

Visit the Bramblestitches store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
Visit me at my blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/

Edited by - AnnieT on Jan 12 2006 10:10:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  10:10:36 AM  Show Profile
Holy Cow !!!! You did an awsome job!!! I love the colors and your honey hunk (to borrow from Frannie) is a doll. He is very lucky to have a woman like you! Wishing Birthday Blessings !!
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  10:19:27 AM  Show Profile
Thank you! He's 6'4", and patterns are always way too short for him, so this is my new and improved and greatly modified pattern for him... In other words, this is the fourth cowboy shirt I've made him, but the first time I've gotten it right. On the bright side, I can now sew a shirt collar with a stand like a pro. ;)

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  10:33:43 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful job Annie. Don't ya just hate those kind of collars!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  10:36:50 AM  Show Profile
You sure did a great job Annie!! My two oldest sons are also 6'4" and it is SOOOO hard to sew for them..nothing fits...that is wonderful that you got it down..he looks really good in those colors too!! Tell him happy birthday for us!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  11:23:22 AM  Show Profile
Woo hoo, Annie! What catalog did you find HIM in? I want one for my daughter!!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  1:33:23 PM  Show Profile
LOLOL!!! The trick with finding Cowboys is to rope-em young so you have a chance to train 'em up a bit. I caught this one when he was 15 and unruly, married him when he was 18--started, but still green--and now I've got me a regular gentlman and a great Daddy at age 22. ;)

Hehee! Annie

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  7:18:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny and Shirley, it will be my task tomorrow. After it dries is it ready to use?

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  7:21:34 PM  Show Profile
yes!!!

Jenny in Utah
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  7:58:20 PM  Show Profile
Annie, You did a beautiful job on your husband's shirt - it is just beautiful! I can imagine how proud he is to wear it. Bless you!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  01:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Gees, Girl, thought I was looking at Kenny Chesney there for a moment!! Has he got any brothers?

You are right, get 'em young and train 'em right!I got mine at 15(me) & 17(him), married at 18 and 20, had him for almost 30 years and still LIKE him!

You did a wonderful job on his shirt. I am amazed, it looks store bought! Good job, Miss Annie. I used to make us (gulp) matching western shirts (it WAS for the Sadie Hawkins dances,not to mention it was the mid 1970's)) every year and they are HARD! I am impressed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What's everybody working on? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page