Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What's everybody working on?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What's everybody working on? Next Topic
Page: of 4

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  12:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Just thought it'd be interesting to see what everyone's working on currently. I knitted boot socks for Christmas gifts and I'm finishing those up. I made my 2 year old grandson a pair - adapted the pattern from a ankel sock pattern - and I'm making my son-in-law a matching pair. The little ones are soooo cute!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  1:30:23 PM  Show Profile
Knitting flap caps and finishing some embroidered pillows and baking biscotti today. I have to mail off the last of the Christmas boxes on Monday ..then I can get to some heavy duty baking!!! And cheeseball making for the neighbors!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  1:42:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm working on a 12-hankie toddler-size quilt..will post pictures when it's done!

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  1:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I'm knitting a scarf for my boyfriend and a scarf for my sister. I'm still learning, but so far, so good! My past attempts at scarves didn't produce anything wearable. I have trouble keeping my stitches even. Some are way too loose, some way too tight, so the result is usually very uneven sides! I am getting better, though, just need more practice!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  2:13:19 PM  Show Profile
I just got some fun fabric from my mom for my B-day, that will be turned into aprons. I am getting a real itch to relearn to knit and crochet, guess the weather engenders that. It has been 30+ years since I have done either and am wondering if it will be like teaching an old dog... so I keep hesitating. I have the needles and yarn, just need a swift kick to get me going I guess. So kick away girls!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  2:47:53 PM  Show Profile
I am finishing a crochet scarf (mostly gray with black stripes toward each end) for our family grab-bag gift;

finishing a bistro apron for my sister -- fabulous pattern by Denyse Schmidt, using canvas for the apron body and a big patchwork pocket in the front and pom-pom fringe along the bottom;

made a 'bed buddy' today for my dh (right now he has our old cat on his lap, and then the bed buddy on top of the cat -- who is purring up a storm).

Still need to make a hobo bag for my cousin -- found this spiffy fabric that looks like an old crazy quilt.

Oh, and I'm making Christmas cards -- also from the Denyse Schmidt book -- sewing fabric strips onto a card. I'm making the middle strips form a cone-shaped Christmas tree and sewing a vintage button on top of the 'tree' for the star. Looks just so great; I'll probably end up sending just a half-dozen of those. For my family, I'm making a Christmas card from an old black and white photo of the homestead. It's scanned into the computer; I just need to brave the crowds and go and get some photo paper.

Oh, and my college son has requested a crocheted scarf as well. I'll get that one started tonight.

Still want to make biscotti and maybe some Earl Grey tea jelly for gifts. . . . .

Who needs sleep???

Edited by - katie-ell on Dec 17 2005 3:13:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  4:17:10 PM  Show Profile
A little different, but I just got home from talking with four horses and a dog. It was a gift to my client's daughter and granddaughter. Poor doggie has neurological problems. He's inbred and his "wiring" is crossed. He gets aggressive for no reason and has no idea why. His human said he wouldn't let any strangers near him and marvelled that he was affectionate with me. I told her it goes with the territory. He's really sweet and very confused. I taught her to blue light him. I've seen miracles happen, but it makes me so mad that some breeders (puppymills) have no thought beyond the money they will get for these poor pups. The horses were wonderful. One, Scotty, confessed she has a crush on her stall mate, who, when everybody stopped laughing, I was told is crazy about her. When I talked with him, his human said, "tell him to stop trying to mount her!" He said, "Let her be the judge of that." Funny! God, I love horses! Now to finish that scarf and granddaughter's hanging thingy that is like a shoebag and has all kinds of nifty pockets for her to put stuff in. It's very pre-teen girl and I embellished it with sequins and beads. I think she'll love it.

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  4:51:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm making bean bag chairs for my children. the pattern is easy and things are going well. I bought a bean bag chair for my son last year and it lasted only 2 months..b.u.m.m.e.r..I kept thinking, 'how hard can this be?" its very easy (only 5 steps). coming along really nicely. I think the kids will love them. Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  7:40:35 PM  Show Profile
I have always meant to make beanbag chairs Julia! I have two old ones...well, one is only a couple years old and wearing out and the other is real old and very sturdy..It was handed down to us from a couple who had kids all grown and didn't feel they needed it anymore. My kids just love them and they are perfect in our family room..although I trip over them alot..natural born Klutz here..I have a big old garbage bag full of packing peanuts saved up to refill them..they sure need plumping up!! What sort of fabric are you using? I saw a denim one I really liked one time and I think it would be fun to do that. In fact a denim covered couch and chair would be good in this room too!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  01:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
I feel like I have been Mrs. Clause for far too long this year. I made each of my six kids a quillo and each a polar fleece bath robe. I made one for my husband 3 years ago and my kids love it, so I found a sale and hopefully six happy kids! I am also making them each a wall hanger filled with pockets to stash their new presents from Santa in. These are not finished, I wonder if they all will ever be. I am begining to think they can just be from me and be finished after the rush. My finger is finally healed, just an extra deep "quick" that will close up with time I supose, so it has been easier to keep very busy!

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  02:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Jenny, i will start saving my packing peanuts for you. Recycle long distance!
I have to finish my dad's quilt, make and mail my cards,make 3 pairs of pj bottoms to match t-shirt tops (thanks for a GREAT idea Jenny!)and a crazy quilted christmas stocking for the youngest grandaughter who has requested "You tan make me a weely BIG one Nana?!"How can I resist that?
Oh, did I mention baking.......going to be a very long week....
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  7:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny!! I am having such a great time with this pattern. I am making the bean bag chairs out of denim material; one is a cranberry red color and the other is a brown color..very calm country colors. That, and I think they'll hide all the possible 'urples' that go along with having little ones. I made the reinforced the seams by doing the french seam and I made an opening in the cover so I can take it off the liner (made out of an old bed sheet I haven't used in years) and wash it. I was going to use velcro but didn't have a nice color. I used a strip of snaps instead. What a simple little thing that was! I think it will be fun for the kids who will undoubtedly be curious about it.. I'm hoping it will provide them with some preoccupying education time figuring out how to actually do and undo the snaps! So far I am really happy with them. I tell you, projects like these humble me and at the same time remind me that the more I do the better I become. I'll have you know that every time I start tooting my horn with pride I invariably screw something up, like sew something wrong-side out! UGH... what's the saying, 'pride before the fall..' that's me.. should be a busy fun week!! Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  7:38:23 PM  Show Profile
dollies! dollies! dollies! and more dolllies!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Barn Goddess
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Mary Jane
Henry Virginia
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  8:14:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm knitting scarves from the wool of my sheep. I just learned to knit this fall and I love it.

The rooster crows, but the hen delivers the goods.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  11:34:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm making walker bags for some of the sweeties that my sister takes care of. I'm sending them off tomorrow.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  11:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Julia H., what pattern are you using for your bean bags? I have those on my "to do" list, and if you are happy with your pattern that is a good enough recommend for me...and I have the same horn tooting problem!!Do you also run out of thread about 5 inches before you are finished?
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  03:02:00 AM  Show Profile
As time has been used up with working full time and going to school full time, i haven't done much in the way of handmade gifts this year. I had begun on some recycled art, two christmas trees made of found scraps of metal wire and barbed wire and then gum wrapper chains affixed to them. BUT, those gum chains take alot of time, and i am only part-way through them. I will see how they turn out and after finishing them for next years' gifts, I may just make some to sell.
So, we took the easy way out this year and got gift certificates for our kids, and i put together a box of organic goodies for each of them. They love those every year, and it is fun to get all of the stuff. Hope every one gets plenty of rest and enjoyment this week. Love and light, jenny
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  06:49:42 AM  Show Profile
I have been looking for an embroidery pattern for a christmas stocking. I embroidered a stocking for my kids and hubby but now I need one. The patterns you used to find in craft or stitching stores are no where to be found. Anyone know where I can find one? I can not draw!
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  10:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
I'm working on my third crochet project EVER, which is a scarf for my mom for christmas.... I've decided that it's "rustic" not "bad"... haha-- I'm hoping she'll just appriciate that she's the only one getting a homemade gift!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  1:58:02 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Louise -- I love gum wrapper chains -- I used to make those in high school way back in the 60s and even found a remnant of one in with my old h.s. things which I now have posted on my collage-y corkboard. But 'today's' gum wrappers don't have all the cool printing/colors on them, do they? The large packages, at least, just have a white paper wrapper on each stick. What am I missing out on??? Very cool idea to do found-object wire trees. I'd love to see a photo posted!! katie
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  5:19:58 PM  Show Profile
Katie, I have to comb old timey stores for some of the fun gum. I have found black jack, teabury and beemans. I also get an awesome ginseng gum from my co-op. Neat red wrappers! Adams has also put out some sour apple retro gum that has a cool yellow wrapper. I will get a picture posted as soon as i finish one. I think i will weld the base tree together although one could certainly soulder it as well.
By the way, Lotte is the maker of the ginseng gum, we jokingly call it dirt gum, folks that don't like ginseng say that is what it tastes like. I think any health food store could get it in.
So, get those gum chains going, and i will get this tree done so you can work one up for yourself! Love and light, jenny louise
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  6:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Making.....Oatmeal raisin grand marnier cookies...fake money in denominations of what i have not bought for myself this season (part of a gift for my DH)....messenger bags...handbags....wristlets...jewelry...blue cheese fondue....packets of greeting cards..."little pretties"....lavender sachets...ornaments....catnip mice....& one apron. YIKES! Oh, and drinking wine!
~Judes

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  9:16:50 PM  Show Profile
i'm baking rum cakes for my husband to share at work.....
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  9:22:48 PM  Show Profile
I have gingerbread muffins in the oven now (10:30 pm) and spent the evening making cookies with the kids for us to take to friends. I got most of my sewing and knitting done now (except those pesky Christmas eve pajamas..that will be my Weds. project....so I am doing the baking and stuff this week. And our kitchen will be "cheeseball central" on Friday when the kids are out of school!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  9:38:54 PM  Show Profile
aunt jenny, cheese balls sound great....what is your recipe please
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  10:00:44 PM  Show Profile
I think I posted it somewhere, but heck..I can't remember which place so here it is again:
Denise's cheeseball (my sister in law)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated jack cheese
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese (softened)
1/2 small yellow onion..minced
1/2 small can chopped black olives
1 4 oz can diced ortega chiles
mix it all well in a big bowl. Divide into two balls. You can roll in chopped nuts if you want to..but I never do, since some people are allergic.
this is really simple and good. We use the same recipe every year and give it with ritz crackers..although I love it with triscits or wheat thins too.
I hope you like it.
I usually triple the recipe and make at least 6 cheese balls at a time. I made at least 25 total last year!

Jenny in Utah

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Dec 19 2005 10:01:57 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What's everybody working on? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page