Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Christmas Morning Breakfast Next Topic
Page: of 2

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  06:29:03 AM  Show Profile
Do you have a tradition of serving something "special" on Chrismtas morning? Tell us about it!

Mine started several years ago when I saw a post here on the MJ Forum with a recipe for "Dutch Baby Pancakes." I did a search and can't find it anymore, so I don't know WHO to thank for that marvelous recipe and the start of our Christmas morning tradition. But, it is a delicious and special way to start a special day!

I also always serve eggnog and peppermint coffee.

What is your Christmas Breakfast/Brunch tradition?

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  07:37:25 AM  Show Profile
I would love to know this, as well!!!! I am on the hunt for a good, fairly easy recipe,.......so I don't spend my morning in the kitchen.

We try to do a little something special......In the past I usually make homemade cinnamon rolls, which I may do again this year.
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  08:24:06 AM  Show Profile
This year is the first year we are having Christmas at my house and I wanted to do something easy. But I also wanted my family to be able to enjoy the bounty of our homegrown food...and we have no veggies growing right now. :)

So, I'm making a French Toast Casserole with homemade bread and homegrown eggs. And homegrown sausage on the side.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  08:24:46 AM  Show Profile
I don't cook on Christmas morning, but our tradition is to to go to my mother in law's (who is a phenomenal cook) and we have gruyerre strata with sliced cherry tomatoes, real rasher bacon, potatoes, 2 types of bundt breakfast cake and coffee. I always look very forward to it--as does my stomach :) My husband wishes she would try something else than the strata, but we've only been together 8 years so maybe I'm just not tired of it yet :)
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  08:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Ours started with my Grandma Teal. But we have cinnomon rolls for Breakfast on Christmas Morning. Home made. My grandma makes the best ones ever, and while mine are certainly a poor imitation of hers, we continue the idea... I love the smell of them baking in the morning, it has a natural way of waking everyone one so we can get on with the day.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  09:05:15 AM  Show Profile
We do a French Toast Casserole with fresh sausage, bacon and eggs.

To make the casserole I start on Christmas Eve - I take thick slices of french bread and place in a buttered 9x13 baking pan. I then mix 5 eggs, 1 cup of milk, 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Flavoring, 1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon - mix well and pour over top of the french bread. Place 1 teaspoon of butter on each piece of toast. Cover and put in the fridge overnight. Take out on Christmas morning and put in a pre heated 400 degree over. Bake until edges are nice and brown and the liquid has set. Cut and serve with Maple syrup and butter. YUM

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com
The earth is in our hands - please use a gentle touch
Go to Top of Page

SewCarol
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Carol
Vancouver WA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  10:40:34 AM  Show Profile
We make a breakfast casserole that can be made the night before.

Breakfast Casserole

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (If made the night before you'll want to put the casserole dish in a cold oven and then let the dish heat up as the oven does)

6 to 8 slices bread
2 pkgs sausage links (about 10-12 links a pkg.)
1 medium onion diced
2 cans mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
5 eggs
dash of tabasco
1/4 tsp. pepper.
1 to 2 cups grated cheddar cheese.

You'll need a layer of bread. . . using 6 to 8 slices. (I usually use the regular sandwich presliced bread but experimenting with other kinds might have interesting results.) I place the bread in a greased 9"x 13" pan.

Next, I cook up 2 packages of sausage links, when links are done. I place them on top of bread and use skillet to saute the onions. When onions are done, I stir the drained mushrooms in to warm slightly. Then spread onion and mushroom mix evenly over the bread and sausage.

In a med. bowl, I slightly beat the 5 eggs. I add milk, can of mushroom soup, tabasco and pepper and whip to blend. Pour this on top of casserole.

Top with layer of cheese.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes uncovered or cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate and bake uncovered the next morning.

There are a lot of versions of this basic breakfast casserole. You can use ham instead of sausage, change the cheeses,etc. It's easy to fix ahead of time and have baking in the oven while opening presents on Christmas morn.

Enjoy

Hug the ones you love, do what you love and be full of love. Nothing else really matters.

http://fifibanjello.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  10:54:56 AM  Show Profile
It's monkey bread for us! :) Coffee and juice or whatever. We don't so much do breakfast Christmas morning, but we sure do snack all day until dinner. Monkey bread is a MUST ever since we found out about it. :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  11:20:27 AM  Show Profile
Our tradition is one that my grandmother started with my mom and her sisters. All five of those sisters carried it on with their families and we, my mother's five children, all make the same thing - fried dough, with lots of butter and maple syrup or molasses to dip it in. Mmmmm. I make bacon to serve along side and a nice big fruit salad (to offset the copious amounts of fat consumed). It is a tradition 80 years in the making and one I hope will continue for 80 + more!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  12:20:56 PM  Show Profile
Nothing fancy, just pancakes with real maple syrup and scrambled eggs.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  8:07:52 PM  Show Profile
When I was growing up my dad always made Christmas breakfast - eggs, bacon sausage, biscuts and gravy. Now DD and I have apple pancakes with homemade sausage and grapefruit.
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  11:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Our family tradition is "company french toast" along with eggs, sausage, bacon...but here's the recipe - enjoy!
1/2 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
12 slices bread
5 eggs - beaten
1 1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. bacon

Melt buter in a 13x9 pan. Stir in bacon, sugar & cinnamon. Place bread in double layers over sugar mixture. Beat eggs and milk and pour over bread. cover and let sit in refrig. overnight. AM - uncover and bake in prehated oven 350 degrees - 45 minutes.

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  06:13:17 AM  Show Profile
Leila,
I am LOVING the fact that you have even heard of my yummy monkey bread! :O) A sweet lady at our church made it for a youth group get together back when I was in my teens, and it has been on our table ever since. ;)
All these ideas sound so delicious!!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  06:27:49 AM  Show Profile
I was going to make the monkey bread this year. But I am being lazy and using storebought biscuits! It doesn't really matter if I were to make the dough with whole wheat or not b/c of all the gooey goo that goes on it.

Anyway, if anyone has a recipe for Stolen or Stalen, not sure how it's spelled, but it's the German sweet bread stuff. My friend's mother was wanting some.

Merry Christmas, Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  11:57:47 AM  Show Profile
I started with my kids making biscuits and gravy and they are coming back home this year for christmas and they asked for it so I guess the tradition has stuck. it is so easy cause I make the biscuits and gravy and let them simmer while we are opening gifts and then as you feel like it you grab yourself some. oh yea orange juice too. they still enjoy it I guess. I don't remember having one particular thing for breakfast when I myself was growing up so I started this one myself and it stuck. hehehehe

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  1:22:58 PM  Show Profile
I make a special breakfast for us to eat in the dining room every Christmas morning. This year we'll have fresh squeezed orange juice, maple baked bacon, fried eggs and homemade danish pastries with our coffee. I can't wait!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  8:29:17 PM  Show Profile
OK - it's the day AFTER Christmas, but I just got online and saw this topic - we have Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's (around the corner) and Christmas Brunch at our house. We have varied a little over the many years, but usually, we have breakfast tacos, hash browns (home fries), sausage and mimosas to drink. I vary the "sweet" - sometimes a coffee cake, sometimes muffins - this year, strawberries with Romanoff sauce. Yesterday, the sauce was great, but obviously the strawberries were out of season...
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  8:35:05 PM  Show Profile
We always have orange rolls (like cinnamon rolls only orange) with coffee, and a little later have french toast casserole with plenty of toasted pecans, butter, and syrup, although I was sick this year and we didn't get that :(

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Muckboots 'N Aprons at Home Chapter
http://yakimafarmgirls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  03:38:28 AM  Show Profile
My mom makes an egg and sausage caserole. I'm deathly allergic to eggs like this, so I get a box of Froot Loops every Christmas. That started when we were kids and wern't allowed to have many sugared cereals in the house. Christmas was the exception when we found out about the eggs allergy and I ended up spending one Christmas in agony all day.

Now it's tradition and an inside family joke
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  12:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh no! I saw this post too late for this Christmas. The Dutch Baby recipe may have come from me. I make that quite often. My family loves them, especially with vanilla yogurt and strawberries. Just like crepes....only easier.

Usually for Christmas morning brunch we do Sour Cream Twists, a breakfast casserole of some kind and mimosas.

FYI....I cater quite a bit and brunch is my favorite thing to do. I have lots of brunch recipes and ideas. Just let me know.

Marcia

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Hanalu
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Hana
Redwood City California
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  8:48:05 PM  Show Profile
I tried the pull apart brown sugar bunt cake thing (can't remember the proper name) in the December issue...it came out pretty good! I also served scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and fruit. I had a mimosa too! (I had banana bread as a backup in case the bunt thing didn't turn out)

Hana
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  9:21:55 PM  Show Profile
Just saw this topic....
I make homemade cinnamon rolls every morning and everyone is invited over....we had 31 this year..so I made about 60 rolls! It is fun though..everyone comes in their jammies and stays an hour or so..when they leave I have to get busy and get the turkey in the oven and all that for dinner. We only had 18 for dinner. I think the breakfast is my favorite part of the day besides of course the kids joy first thing!
I can't wait to try a couple of the recipes and ideas you gals posted..yum!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  06:31:43 AM  Show Profile
Everybody, Your breakfast ideas and recipes you shared sound great!
Anna, the Fruit Loops story is hilarious.
Aunt Jenny, 31 for Christmas breakfast?!
Marcia, THANK YOU! We adore the recipe for Dutch Baby Pancakes! Now, tell us about the Sour Cream Twists!
Hana, glad to know the recipe was good. I'll give it a try!
And Dawn, I do like the idea of eating in the dining room. Kicks it up a notch.
Breakfast tacos? Okay, KJD, tell us more about what that is.
Dalyn, I hope somebody made the rolls for you this year!
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  06:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Well, check me out! Just saw that I have 900 posts!!!
Oops, guess I just changed that to 901!!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  06:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Those posts are mounting up fast. Our Christmas morning tradition is going to my daughters, who makes up a yummy egg dis, and sweet rolls. I like this tradition because I didn't cook it.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  11:14:41 AM  Show Profile
Our Chrismtas morning meal is really a brunch......at about 11:30. I make breakfast casserole the night before and put it in the oven in the morning. I serve it with fresh blueberries, and juice. Then we have Starbucks Christmas blend coffee, egg nog, coffee with egg nog in it (very good) and then we eat all the candy in the stockings before brunch......hm.....what is not right about this picture? Oh, well, it is Christmas.

I started posting photos of our family x-mas on my blog....check them out....will add more in the next few days.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Dec 29 2008 11:16:58 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Christmas Morning Breakfast Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page