Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Christmas Morning Breakfast Next Topic
Page: of 2

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  1:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Breakfast tacos are flour tortillas, warmed, then layered with: hot refried beans, scrambled eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, scallions, avocado, sprouts, sour cream, salsa, and crumbled bacon never hurts...they really are just delicious for any meal of the day!
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  4:06:40 PM  Show Profile
okay I just saw this too! But our Christmas breakfast is and was the following: warmed leftover honeybaked ham , scalloped cheesey potato's (both leftover from Christmas eve dinner) creme burlee french toast, scrambled eggs, bagels, cream cheese, loxs, onion, tomato, my mom also brought a hm coffee cake, coffee, fresh OJ from our trees and made mimosa with it! It is more of a brunch and there was 10 of us!

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  7:09:34 PM  Show Profile
I just saw this post. I have some catching up to do!

Never had a breakfast tradition of any kind. I like to bake, but I'm not a big fan of cooking. I hate being tied to the stove (even though I do it voluntarily on occasion).

I would love to get the Dutch Baby Pancakes recipe, please? And, what is mimosa? I'm guessing from your post, Josie, that it's made with oranges?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  2:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Mimosa.....orange juice and champagne. Mine's usually more champagne than OJ. There are also other variations. One great one I came across last year is pear nectar, cranberry juice and champagne. Yum! Dutch Baby's are the easiest thing in the world. I'll go dig out the recipe and post it. The Sour Cream Twists are a little more complicated but SO worth the effort. I'll post that one too.

Marcia

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  2:26:49 PM  Show Profile
Dutch Baby

Heat oven to 425.

In a cast iron skillet or 9" pie plate put 1/2 stick(1/4 cup)of butter(yes butter, no substitute).
Place the skillet/pie plate with the butter in the oven while it's pre-heating.

3 eggs--beat until foamy, then add:
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons vanilla
Beat all together until well blended. I use a blender for this whole process, but you
could do it with a mixer I suppose. Remove pie plate from oven. The butter should be
melted by now. Pour the batter into the pie plate. Bake for 20-25 minutes. It will brown and
puff up 4-6" on the sides and form a crater in the center. It will collapse a little after you
remove it from the oven. Cut it into 8 wedges.

Traditionally it's served warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
I serve it with strawberries and vanilla yogurt. My DD serves it with warm apple pie filling.

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  2:46:39 PM  Show Profile
First a word about the Sour Cream Twists. They're kind of a cross between a pastry and a yeast bread. You can mix the dough up to 2 days ahead of time but they are best baked fresh or just the night before you want to serve them.

1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
4 cups sifted flour
1 cup margarine or butter, melted(guess which I use=~)
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons vanilla

Dissolve the yeast into the warm water. Combine, flour, butter, sour cream, eggs, salt and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Stir in yeast and beat until smooth. Cover with a damp cloth and put into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.

When ready to bake, combine 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl.
Sprinkle bread board or counter top with a liberal amount of the cinnamon/sugar.
You'll be using the cinnamon/sugar like you would flour to roll out pie crust.
Roll out dough until it's a big rectangle, about 1/2" thick. Not sure how big a rectangle--
16x20? maybe. Sprinkle with more c/s mix, fold into 1/3's(like a letter). Roll it out a little more, until it's about 3/4" thick. Now you should have 3 layers of dough with c/s between.
Cut into 1" to 1 1/2" wide strips. They'll be about 6-8" long. Twist them once or twice when you pick them up to place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet or baking stone.

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. They will raise a little and don't get very brown but burn easily.
Makes about 15-20 depending on how wide you slice them.

Is that about as clear as mud? It's a hard recipe to give somebody. Just give it a try.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Christmas Morning Breakfast Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page