Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 I feel most like a farmgirl when
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic I feel most like a farmgirl when Next Topic
Page: of 10

tspoon
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Tanya
Bremerton Wa
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  10:29:29 PM  Show Profile
I would love to see how each of you feel more like a farmgirl, even when you are stuck in the middle of a big city....like me.

Ill start
I feel most like farmgirl when:

I pull the turkey carcus out of the freezer 3 weeks after Thanksgiving, and using every leftover from my refrigerator, make the most amazing soup or stew-just like my mom did.

I put on my apron first thing in the morning and start my projects for the day, even if I must carry my cell phone in the apron pocket.

I use vinegar to rinse my clothes, then the lavender in a muslin bag in my dryer....the next best thing to drying on a line.

When I sit quietly in the evenings and even take 5 minutes to get my hands busy with needle work.

I would love to hear yours...........

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  06:10:35 AM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farmgirl when:

I am baking bread, with the apron I have sewn on.

I am making my own laundry detergent.

I am looking through the heirloom seed catalogs and reading on how to grow heirlooms in my backyard.

When I work on my craft projects, creating things with my hands.

I, too, am living in the city and yearning for the country. I try each day to bring some of the country into our home.

Thank you for starting this wonderful thread.
~Ruth~

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  06:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message

I am wearing my jeans and t- shirt, covered in kid poop and dog poop or food or something, and hubby says I am beautiful!!! : )

When I take to task finding ways to be more frugal and healthy, for my family and my environment.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  6:53:40 PM  Show Profile
When I go to the farmer's market with a truck load of fresh veggies that I have just harvested and still have dirt under my nails and on my shoes...

when I help a goat give birth and realize I have just seen the miracle of life and helped with it...

when I can hang loads of clothes and towels on the line in the sun to dry...

when I can sit outside for hours and hear birds and cows and horses all over and not a single car or truck goes by...

and when I still have hay in my hair or pull it out of my bra the next day!

Also when I come home and my pigs see me turn into the driveway and run beside the car wagging their tails in anticipation of a meal and they are so happy to see me.

I love being a farmgirl, at heart and for real!

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

stacyluu
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

stacy
tuttle oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  7:47:03 PM  Show Profile
i feel most like a farmgal when:
*my chickens greet me in the morning with throaty cackles..and i greet them by name..
*every morning..i giggle while collecting eggs, because they are so beautiful, different browns...and i know my girls are so proud of them
*my toddlers play in the kiddie pool..naked..and run out to the fence to wave at the mail-lady, or neighbors driving by....and no-one thinks it's weird...
*during harvest time, i plan to leave a few minutes early because i know i'll get stuck behind a big, slow combine on the road
*i call my neighbor and tell him another cow got out
*i lay in my hammock & listen to the clapping leaves, playing kids, cows mooing...and NOTHING else
*i look at my private galaxy of stars, everchanging sunset, endless supply of lightening bugs
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  7:53:23 PM  Show Profile
I pull on my overalls and head out to the garden for a day of weeding, and nothing could make me happier
I put on my apron and bake some bread/do some canning/clean my house
I can cook for a month on what I have put up in the pantry
I can put together all homemade gift packages for my family
I talk to all of you and realize how many of us there are
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

stacyluu
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

stacy
tuttle oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  7:54:25 PM  Show Profile
oh yah.....i forgot to add one more thing:

i especially feel like a farmgal when....
i "mother" baby chicks in the office and listen to them peep while i'm on the puter
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  8:08:12 PM  Show Profile

Putting my hand under a hen and gathering the eggs and try not to disturb her much.

Scratching poop off an egg when cleaning them. Loading up the egg cartons and giving my fresh layed eggs away.

Breaking the ice for the animals and cleaning out the Hen Den.

Dirt on my knees and hands while planting in the garden.

Cleaning out the fireplace and carry in the wood.

Making bread

Hanging cloths out on the line

Stacking up quilts

knitting, crafts, decorating and making our homestead cozy.

Foraging in the woods , going fishing

soaking in a nice hot tub after a long day.

Having all my love ones around is the best good feeling and having faith in God is at the top of the list.

Isn't being a farmgirl wonderful cuz she has a feelin of good farmgirl friendships (((hugs to you all)))

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  9:28:36 PM  Show Profile
when...my littlest child sits in my lap as we snuggled this evening and says..'mama your a farm girl, and I'm gonna be a farm girl too" as she is holding my farm girl necklace looking at each side of it and saying to me.."it says farm girl doesn't it?..and I say.."yes, baby..it sure does" :0)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at: www.stliving.net
and at:www.thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and at:http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  10:42:16 PM  Show Profile
I wear my apron-even if I bought it to support Breast Cancer and didn't make it myself...
I make my own bread-even if I have my bread machine "help" my aching rotater cuffs
I make my own laundry soap
I hang my clothes outside on the line, even when I don't feel like it, and then the smell reminds me of how much it is worth it.

I love the goofy little rural town I live in

I donate stuff to a thrift store I frequent. So I can gain in purchasing second hand, more eco friendly, and budget wise. But also, blessing someone with my stuff that is un-needed.but still in good shape and semi-fashionista friendly.

I raise my daughter to be practical. Practcal enough to make her own bread, shop at thrift stores and embrace her inner farm girl AND be her own person. (LOVE that about "our" farm girls!)

I can take care of myself, yet lean on fellow farm girls for a little lift in my spirit,or kick in my arse if needed.

When I am sewing on a project, no matter how simple, as I learn HOW to do it properly
When I use vinegar in new uses all over the house. Not only to save money, but to help our planet in my own small way.'
When I wear my basic wardrobe, that is washable in my own laundry detergant, and ironed by ME.
When I think of how every penny is spent, and how I can be more diligent in where that penny goes OR is saved.
As I simplify my life in every aspect.
When I can offer my children the most fresh and wholesome meals and treats I can. (even if they don't appreciate it!)

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Dec 19 2008 11:06:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  5:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
wow...I love this topic
right now I am wearing my Farmgirl sisterhood denim shirt with patch! I put lace and buttons on it

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  8:07:38 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farm girl when... I can make my family a home cooked meal with meat we raised,veggies from our garden,milk, cheese and butter from our cows, eggs from our happy hens and of course I am doing all this in my apron made from beautiful vintage fabric.

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  9:45:08 PM  Show Profile
I feel most like a farm girl when:
1. I am working with my animals
2. Gardening
3. Exchanging conversation with my other Farm Girl friends about our animals , etc.
4.Helping others with their animals when they are having problems.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From Sheep to Handspun."
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
http://www.youravon.com/rgriffin0799
Go to Top of Page

tspoon
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Tanya
Bremerton Wa
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  11:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow! This is so fun to read.
FYI.....I made my own laundry soap tonight for the first time....from one of your ideas..Thanks.

I finished stiching my farmgirl badge....and Im IN!!!!!

Over the last few days of all the snow...and stuck at home. You all made me smile.
Keep em comin.
Go to Top of Page

PawPawGirl
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Shellee
Thornville Ohio
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  08:38:01 AM  Show Profile
This is my first post...reading yours brought such joy and tears of understanding.
I feel most like a farmgirl when: I go outside and am one with our beloved Earth.

Good thoughts overcome all obstacles.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  09:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Shellee! glad you joined us!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  2:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message

I hang clothes out on the line to dry, with the wind swirling and the sweet smell of the earth and plants around me and I can look over and see Tekoa mountain covered in purple vetch.

When I can go to my pantry and make a meal from it and my freezer and not "have" to go to the store for an ingredient.

When I use tomatoes that I grew in my garden from heirloom seed, brought them when they were still green because it was going to freeze, put them in a paper bag to ripen and just now finished using them all.

When I make bisquits and sausage gravy and I use the flour from the board used to roll out the bisquits to thicken my gravy instead of just scraping it off and throwing it away.

Because I know the difference between hay and straw.

Go out and pick raspberries in the way early morning and they are shining like jewels in the dew and early sunshine.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  1:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message

My family is warm and fed
I am taking care of my critters
I make something out of nothing
I can teach my children something my grama taught me
I can learn with my children how to be self sufficient even while they are telling me "you can just go get that at the store" because I know that someday they will be glad they know!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  7:41:16 PM  Show Profile
Now adaze I feel most like a farm girl when...

* I can look at an empty fridge and make a whole meal with what ever is in there.

* i bring eggs in from the coop snuggles in my shirt

* cleaning the barn or loading firewood

* i'm content with just what I have.

But, year's ago, I knew I was a farm girl when sleeping baby lambs in the kitchen or bathroom was just normal.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  11:31:59 AM  Show Profile
This is a Really good thread.. Thank you Tanya
I feel most like a farm girl when"
~ I put on my apron
~ I fill up the compost pail with good greens & carry it to the pile
~ When I talk with my biological sisters * who are not farmgirls but know how much I love living this simplified life
~ When I post on my Blog
~ When My husband smiles and agrees We are happy here.
~ When I am making meals and baking bread
~ When I read my MJ Magazine and gather inspiration to try things that are new.
~ When I come to The MJ Forums to read what "my Farmgirl sistas" are doing.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  01:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I feel like a farmgirl when I wear my handmade apron to cook or wash dishes. I use it for wiping my hands and think about how handy it is. I never want to take it off. I also get a kick out of all the handmade yoyos with buttons that are on one of my aprons.

I like making something out of the small stash of fabric and supplies that I already have and not go to buy more.

When I resuse or repurpose anything.

When I make my homemade boiled fudge with no recipe.

When I make homemade gravy with no recipe.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  01:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
When I hang clothes on my clotheline with hand decorated clothespins by farmgirls from all over the country.
When I dip my hand into my old homemade pin holder..it's time for a new one but there is just something about this old faded one.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  1:39:22 PM  Show Profile
I feel like a FARMGIRL when I am canning my tomatoes, making jams and jellys and anything else that I am harvesting from our garden- Wearing an apron that is just like my Mom's and Grandma's, and after a hard days work seeing the fruits of my labor- knowing I am provinding for my daughters the way it should be done! A CHICKEN COOP is on the "to do" list for 2009!

Have a Country Day
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  3:23:30 PM  Show Profile
The other day a little girl asked me what I was reading (which was of course MJF mag), and I told her it was a book for farmgirls, and she asked if I was a "famgil", and I said YUP, and she said she wanted to be a famgil too!

So I feel like a Famgil when ...
I hang clothes on the line on a sunny, breezy day, and can't wait to take them down so I can breathe in their freshness when I fold them.
When I look in my pantry at the end of the summer and know we will be well fed through the winter.
When I see our animals frolicking at the end of the day in the shadows of dusk.
When the barn is full of hay ready for winter.
At the end of the day when I'm happy to climb in bed, but anxious to start the next day.

I love being a "famgil"!!!

~Vicky~

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
--- Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

velvetcadi7
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Amy
Galva IL
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  12:11:10 PM  Show Profile
I feel like a farmgirl when

*I can put a healthy meal on the table and know where it all came from - whether vegies and eggs from here or meat bought from neighbors farms.

*My son brings home everyone else's bread crusts from school - to feed the chickens!

*Wearing a sundress and muck boots!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  11:49:08 AM  Show Profile
I can't think of anything to write in here..lol. I am loving reading how everyone else feels like farmgirls in their own special ways. :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Life should NOT be a jounrey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, what a ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic I feel most like a farmgirl when Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page