Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Does anybody else limit Christmas gifts?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Does anybody else limit Christmas gifts? Next Topic  

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  09:44:42 AM  Show Profile

Out of curiosity does anybody else limit the amount of gifts they give to their children.

We've always limited it to 3 per child. We've felt that Christmas means more than presents (family, friends, charity) and by limiting the amount they get from us we feel they appreciate what they do get more.

Just wondering if anybody else out there does the same.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  09:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, one from Santa, one from Mommy and Daddy, one from the dog : ) ,usually Grandma send a gift card, and the neighbors are giving him something this year. We also include books, learning cards, candy and clothing in his stocking.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  10:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Our children get three as well. Always have. I think it is plenty. Their stockings are filled with useful things appropriate to their ages, which now means things like razors, shaving foam, gift cards to Sonic, socks,etc. You know, the things they will need in a pinch. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  10:02:13 AM  Show Profile
We always give 3 gifts under the tree, for each child. These represent the 3 gifts from the three wisemen. Then under the tree there is one from Santa on Christmas morning.

Like you we feel that the focus needs to be on other things. We always work the soup kitchens, donate to the needy, put together food baskets, ect. Our kids are older now but by the time they were teenagers they had a hard time coming up with 3 things they wanted!

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com
The earth is in our hands - please use a gentle touch
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  10:25:14 AM  Show Profile
As a Grandma, we limit ourselves....I have sewn PJs for years and they all look forward to them each Christmas....
sounds great to hear of others who limit.....

Farmgirl Sister #368
A very Merry Christmas to all of my "Farmgirl Sisters"!!!
http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  10:54:37 AM  Show Profile
I have always limited what my children get not maybe how many but how much they cost. If they want one that cost as much as three of the other ones that is all they got. and now that I am a grandma they get all home made and like Terri said they always look forward to them and if I don't make them they look funny at me!!! They like pjs I think that way when they wear them they get a hug from grandma at bed time even when I am not there.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  11:29:41 AM  Show Profile
I think it's a good idea to limit gifts...altho I do have trouble doing so. I mean, after all, they are my grandkids!! hehehe... But I send stuff all year long anyway so it kind of makes up for it. But I'll tell you, I'm close to a situation where the grandkids get oodles of toys and they end up just piled in a corner of the room. I consider these kids spoiled and not appreciative and feeling entitled. That offends me!! But I keep my mouth shut as it hasn't done any good in the past. The parents think it's showing lots of love...I see it differently. I'm proud to say that my grandkids genuinely appreciate their stuff. Truly I'm glad to see that others feel the same way. Sometimes I feel like I'm a lone voice in the desert!! :-)

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  1:56:33 PM  Show Profile
I don't limit very well for Christmas presents. I am a mom to a 6 year old boy (only child), and I know we get him too much. My husband is layed off so this year it is a bit less, but still quite a bit- we had bought most of it before. We buy on sale, and thrift, and garage sale. When he doesn't play with a toy for awhile we sale it at Once Upon a Child. We also donate some new and used toys every Christmas - which he chooses. He understands how lucky he is - at least as much as a six year old can! I love Christmas! Family, Faith, Fun!
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  2:31:40 PM  Show Profile
We only allow our kids to ask Santa for three gifts, so they are not frivolous in their requests, and I usually buy them some books from 'us'. But with Santa's three, Grandma, gifts from their closest friends...it's still too much. I'd like to see it scale back a bit.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  5:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I don't really limit the number of gifts so much as the amount I spend on each child. This year I spent about $50 on each kiddo. My girls have three a piece adn then my fiance's son has two and my son has 4 or 5 or maybe I can wrap them to look like three too. One I mark as from me and the rest are from Santa. The number of gifts they receive just depends on what they tell me they want or umm tell Santa they want.

Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  7:58:29 PM  Show Profile
We limit 4 gifts for each other and per child. Even though my sons are 26, 23 and 5 years old,they are all treated equal. I also make sure I spend the same amount of $ per child as well. We like to save our cash back bonus rewards from Discover for Christmas gifts. It really helps us stay within our budget.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  9:19:09 PM  Show Profile
We do limit the amount of gifts for sure. They can make their Santa list as long as they want...but they know it is just some "hope-fors" and they will likely get one reasonable gift from it. Then usually clothes and books from us and fun stuff (not too expensive) in their stockings.I make matching pajamas for them that they open on Christmas eve each year too. The grown kids don't get quite as much, but still one nice thing and something little and fun. With 7 kids and 3 grandkids (2 are my oldest son's fiance's kids so I count them now) it adds up. Husband and I just do stockings for each other...we get a "gift" of our choosing at tax return time if we can.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Dec 15 2008 9:19:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  05:21:34 AM  Show Profile
I am this year. I have always gotten the grands SO much stuff they are overwhelmed and don't even see half the things. So this year I'm a little more ok with $ and will get them all a big thing each and one for them all together. Then a few smaller things, too. But the big girls already got their's from us. I am having a hard time with my parents now. The older, the harder.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  05:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I have always limited what my kids get for Christmas.My daughter's boyfriend was never limited and he thinks its awful that they don't get everything they ask for. My children understand that I have always done what I thought was best for them.Come Christmaas morning they are just as happy with their three gifts as anyone who had recieved more.

I have to tell you that I just read in the paper that a local organization just did their Christmas shopping. The article said that they had around 100 children sign up but could only help 25.It went on to say they had spent $300.00 per child!I could hardly believe my eyes!!!!Why not spend less per child and help out more children!?! I have never never spent that much on my children for Christmas and was appauld that these seemingly caring people felt that they had to spend that much per child.Who decided that Christmas means you have to spend so much for one day?

After reading this my husband and I went over to the organization and got a few names.This year these kids will recieve something for Christmas and I know in my heart that they won't care that I didn't spend $300.00! Geez,I'm not a rocket scientist but I do understand that 6,7, and 8 year-old children don't want or care if you spend a ton of money on them. Sorry this was so long but I just had to vent!!!!!!!

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  09:24:36 AM  Show Profile
Eek that organization spent $300/child, no wonder they could only help 25. I wonder what they're buying them? While their intentions are in the right place they probably need to reevaluate what they're buying.

Good for you and your husband, you're very right the kids will enjoy what they got. Kids don't care what you spent.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  09:42:42 AM  Show Profile
We are limiting....I want the appreiciation to go toward family togetherness...not whats under the tree so much

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  11:58:20 AM  Show Profile
I set a dollar limit, which usually dictates the number of gifts. But, I have just one child to shop for. Other family members get one gift from both DD and I. My brother doesn't like this 'cause he'd like to get everything on his list. I told him to grow up and ditch the list we're not children anymore. At my age (47) life is so not about what people buy me.

And of course I'm wierd - I prefer sweat equity gifts - rototill my garden, fix my patio cover, those kinds of truly useful things OR garden stuff.

My friends and I all talked a few years ago and agreed not to buy everyone a gift. We were all trying to downsize. Now, we get together over the holiday, sans kids, and have a girls day out at a nice restaurant. Way too much fun
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  1:31:01 PM  Show Profile
We put a dollar amount limit and stick to it. This year our dd wanted somethings that were pretty expensive~name brand clothes and shoes~so she only has 3 things to open. For the same amount of money our son has many more packages because he likes things that average less than $10. She will be happy though because it's what she really wanted.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  10:16:20 PM  Show Profile
I limit mine to a dollar amount. Once that hits the magic number, that is it. One year it might be one gift total, the next it might be ten.

I spend the same for each kid.

Otherwise, if it is for my parents/brother/exchange-cousin I try to keep it twenty bucks or less.

My parents used to give my poor single parent aunt money to help her buy her kids Christmas gifts. One year they got "better" gifts than my brother and I did.
Well, comparing notes a few years later, we found out my parents and both of my uncles gave her money along with my Grandparents. (can you spell greedy????) I think that was horrible of her to do that.
-rant over-

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  09:57:23 AM  Show Profile
In previous years, I gave my three children three gifts, and Santa brought one, plus their stocking.

This year, money's tighter, so they are all getting one less gift. I'm still doing the three gifts, but Santa's just bringing their stocking this year. They are all older now, so they understand, and gifts are very practical (boots, pyjamas, gloves, etc.)

Hubby and I have also cut our gifts to each other, to $80 each.

If you read on the Barnyard Buddies thread, we have just had a big scare with our kitty, so gifts don't really have the same significance this year, although we had already decided to cut back before this week. We're just thankful we will all be together, and that we didn't lose our baby. A nice meal and a happy day is what matters most.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  1:14:38 PM  Show Profile
We do a dollar amount and then wrap the gifts so that there is the same amount for everybody. My children are very young (3,2 and 8 mos) so it's important that they each have the same amount!! This year they have 4 and then 1 from grandparents!! They also have one big gift we bought for all of them ( a wagon) as they will eventually all get to use it!!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  2:49:56 PM  Show Profile
I also do a set dollar amount. As so many of you said if they want an expensive gift then there could only be one, they are all fine with that though. These are my grandkids I am talking about. 15,14 and 10. Mom and Dad always got our girls 3 or 4 gifts, one larger one and 2 or 3 smaller. With a set dollar amount too. I think most people probably have to set a dollar amount that they will spend. As they get older their wants tend to get more expensive! So, that could cut down on the number of presents! I will say they and my girls both have and were always appreciative of their gifts, even if someone got them something they really didn't like they always made sure they thanked the person and were sincere about it.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

crazyapple
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Cyndi
Gladstone Oregon
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  03:50:26 AM  Show Profile
We have 3 boys who are all on the austism spectrum and have found in the past that too many gifts were simply overwhelming for them. They each now get 3 gifts each, representative of the gifts of the 3 kings (but they know its one from each brother and one from Mama & Daddy) and their stockings are from Santa.

We've intentionally tried to train the boys to not be big consumers so they "want" lots but they seem to understand about avoiding excess. They're all pleased as punch when they get to go to the thrift store toy area and pick something out.

As we try to simplify our lives, we find we're always having to use teaching moments that present themselves as the neighbor children get all the newest toys and such. The latest one was, 'why, we don't need a WII'

"It's Never Too Late To Be Who You Might Have Been" G. Eliot
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  11:41:32 AM  Show Profile
My kids are grown now but we always limited their gifts to 3 under the tree and small, useful things in their stockings. I also told them that the wisemen brought three gifts for the baby Jesus and if it was good enough for Jesus it was good enough for all of us. Much of what we give as gifts are handmade items. Fast forward 25 years. My oldest daughter married into a family that does Christmas way over the top. She was very worried about that and explained to her DH(who doesn't agree with the over the top Christmas) what our tradition is. He liked it and they've decided to stick with it.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  5:18:49 PM  Show Profile
All the while I was growing up we got three gifts (along the wisemen theme) The twist was that we got one gift that was a bit pricey (or pricy in a minimum wage household-I still remember my blowcomb!!), one gift that was intended for use with the family that we were expected to be the keeper of, and one gift that was something we needed.

At the risk of sounding preachy:
As for all you grandmas out there that "just can't help yourselves" may I be so bold as to ask you to consider looking at it this way: Would you have wanted your own kids to grow up as "gimmees"? Is it really worth upstaging your child and child-in-law so you can be "Good Granny"? My mom went through this until she overheard a grandson tell his friend "Yeah, that's my stuff Granny, but I like my doing Granny better." Doing Granny was the one that bought tickets to shows, invited them to Camp Granny each year, adopted animals in their names for "Heifer Project International" , etc. WOW! Now they have two "doing Grannys"

Best of wishes for your holiday season.
Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  9:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I can't say I "limit" gifts for the kids...there are 6 between my hubby and me! I do spend an equal amount on each child and some get "more" because they are less expensive than gifts for older kids that seem to be more expensive! This year I tried to get them all an "outfit", a game or something that they're interested in and some kind of craft for the girls...usually hunting things for the boys. This seemed to work out well and they all had a great Christmas! The girls and I are already planning on making most of our gifts for next year, homemade gifts were the big hit this year and it's so much fun planning them, making them and the person receiving the gift knows it's handmade and coming from the heart! My step daughters designed me a tshirt this year with my silly "nickname" on it and pictures of my favorite farm things - my animals!!! What a special gift!!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Does anybody else limit Christmas gifts? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page