mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  09:20:53 AM  Show Profile
I have to walk 60, yes 60, minutes a day EVERY DAY. I didn't even think that was good for you - seems like you need a rest day once in awhile! I had been going to this doc for about a year, getting my bp down - and it really has come down - from a frightening 223/130 on my initial visit - he wanted to put me in the hosp, to 141/80 on my last visit. He has tried 3 different meds over the course of the year and for the last 6 months I've been on one he thinks is the best. Anyway, I went back for my last check up and he said he's done all he can for me with medication, the only thing that can help to get it down where he wants it (under 120) is losing weight. I knew that was coming and I was really surprised I hadn't heard it before, but there it was. He recently lost 50 lbs himself so he's all about weight loss now - like a reformed smoker! He told me to walk 60 minutes a day and get my heart rate up to 85% of 220 minus my age. By the time I get that figured out I could be dead!! Anyway, I started last monday and I have walked every day since (for 60 minutes) except one, when we bowled at the Christmas party. My muscles feel like they are going to burst out of my skin they ache so much!! Well, today, I believe I'm taking the day off - it is really storming here - torential rainfall and wind. I'm prescribing a day off for myself - tomorrow dh and I are going Christmas shopping and I KNOW I'll walk 60 minutes then. I'll let you know how this goes!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  09:36:22 AM  Show Profile
Wow. Good luck, girl. It is hard to make yourself do that. But I always said if a doctor TOLD me to do something, I would have to then. That's the only way I'd stick with it. I think.

And you have to keep going and get in the habit, too.

I'll be thinking of you out there trudging along, one step after the other, huffin' and puffin'!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  09:40:09 AM  Show Profile
Huffin' and puffin' is right! Fortunately, I met a new friend recently that I called and asked if she was interested in walking with me. I knew I"d never keep it up on my own! Anyway, she is already fit - lives on a farm - and boy, does she make me work!! On days that my muscles were screaming she wouldn't take any excuses. LUckily, she has to stay home and finish making a bunch of wreathes she has pre-sold so I get a break today - and the weather backs me up!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  10:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi sherri, many years ago i waled at least 1 hour per day wth a friend. it really felt great once my body got used to it. i am not naturally one to excercise without good rerason lol. we walked rain or shine. the rule was "no hubbys, no kids, no pets, no excuses!" we did this for about 2 years until i started taking foster babies and my hubby wasnt comfortable with keeping them. most were on apnea monitors or other special medical equipment. i wish i could walk that much now but with the medical problems i now have its not possible. sadly i am lucky most days to walk to the cow pen less than 1/4 mile! when we walked it was pretty funny because somedays would be a slow stroll (rare!) others we would stomp, [bleep], and speed walk *grin* the manner of walking depended on our moods. my legs never looked better in my life! keep up walking and you will be amazed at just how good you feel! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  11:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Sherri- I will be right there with you. I am trying to get my health better and I am aiming for 1 hour of walking a day, a permitted. So, we will keep each other on track. : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  7:07:58 PM  Show Profile
Good For You Sherri and Congrats on getting your bp down. After you get into the swing of things you'll really enjoy your walks even if they turn into strolls.

Here's cheering you on
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  8:05:10 PM  Show Profile
It's great you got your blood pressure down Sherri. Good luck on getting your weight down with the walking. I love taking daily walks, weather permitting. I think it is one of the best forms of exercise. For me it is a great way to get rid of stress and it has helped me lose weight & keep it off. Keep up the good work!

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Dec 26 2008 07:11:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  2:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Congrads on getting you blood pressure down
I have it too plus Diabetic type 2 with many other diseases and conditions
I know how hard it is to excersie when one is hurting all the time.
Also,
try to do some strengthening excerises with like a 2 lb. dumb bell.
I cannot walk very far.
I use to ride a stationery bike; but I have really bad knees now.
Good luck on the blood pressure . hugs pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  8:29:31 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could walk an hour every day! I used to, but my neighborhood isn't safe anymore...it kind of discourages me when I have to drive an hour in order to walk an hour. If you've got nice roads or trails nearby, there's nothing I love more than slipping out of the house for a good long walk when the mood strikes me.

Good luck, Sherri. I hope you enjoy it. If not, you can always get a treadmill!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  07:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
You can do it, Sherri. I wish I had a partner to walk with me. I have a partner 2 days a week to do isometrics with and it keeps me on a schedule. I'd like to have a treadmill...I used one several years ago when I belonged to a health club and that was good on really cold or bad weather days. And it helped that I could listen to music or watch tv while i was doing it! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  07:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
good job Sherri! I'm inspired....you can encourage me...I have no excuses!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71

Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Doc said........ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page