mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  10:09:35 AM  Show Profile
I have a black and white top that goes with a skirt, one of only two 'dress up' outfits I have. I wore it to dh's company party last weekend and washed it today. It is a black top, with an underlay of white that shows at the neck in sort of a twist. It is 95% polyester and 5% spandex and the washing instructions say to wash it on cold, with like colors, no bleach. That's exactly what I did, using my homemade laundry detergent which does not have bleach in it either. Well, when I pulled it out of the washer to hang it to dry, the white was REALLY grey - it looked awful! Anybody have any ideas of how I can fix this? Do you think it was the homemade detergent? It contains Ivory soap, washing soda, and borateem.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  10:47:02 AM  Show Profile
could it be a residue that clung to that type of fabric? could you hand wash in woolite? maybe rinse w/ distilled vinegar?

www.thelittlegreenstore.net
Do what you can, with what you have, right where you are. - Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  11:49:55 AM  Show Profile
I'll try that Christine. Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  1:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri- If you have hard water, it might be the minerals in your water. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup baking soda to each load (depending on how hard the water is) and rinse with at least 1/4 cup vinegar (like Cristine said). This will help wash the minerals away.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Dec 10 2008 1:10:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  3:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Until you said it was poly/ spandex I thought the black dye greyed the white. But poly shouldn't do that. The hard water could be the culprit. My water is hard too and I have to add so much stuff to the laundry to get whites white. Try Clorox 2 It does the best. I use homemade detergent too but my whites I add clorox 2 and oxyclean. I also use water softener. The vinegar rinse should help too. I have more stuff added to my laundry than I have water it seems. Once you see it in writing You notice just how much.
Good Luck
Merry Christmas
Becky

I am one with my inner farm girl!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Laundry problem Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page