harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  7:29:22 PM  Show Profile
How many farmgirls do you think could fit on the steps of the capitol in DC?
I'm just kidding, but let's pray it never comes to that....I will eat my livestock and turn my Angora Goats into coats before I put a tag in any of their ears, or chips in their bodies....as she lowers her head and murmurs...amen......

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  9:19:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lorraine,
I certainly do not want "big Brother" telling me anything!!! I have read this stuff over and it just seems like they found an avenue they didn't feel like they were getting any money from so they decided to do something that would cost all of us and make them some. Pisses me off big time!!! I think I need to move further back in the woods and make them trudge through all kinds of stuff to find me!!!! hehehehehe

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  01:21:23 AM  Show Profile
Haha Beverly, that's funny.

Well, the crazy thing is that BigBrother is already telling us that we need to bail out the banks and automakers..soo...(grumblegrumblesoapboxgrumble)...

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  05:59:39 AM  Show Profile
I think the farmgirls on the mall in Wash. is a great idea! I have thought of that, too. It may end up that we have to do that to get them to actually LISTEN to us and see how absolutely stupid this is. I think it should just be a voluntary thing and it is a good way to track disease and all that. But if we maintain closed herds and the animals stay on our own farms, and are healthy and we can prove they are, how is that going to affect everyone? It is about keeping our own animals healthy and disease free and being responsible animal keepers.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  07:53:33 AM  Show Profile
It's about "Big" business ladies. It's about a monster on a mission to force us to rely on THEM for our food (and of course, the main motivation is MONEY). Someone mentioned them already--- MONSANTO --- I read a book about them written in the 70's. They started out as a Fertilzer company, moved to pestisides, and now seem to have their fingers in LOTS of pies-- even FOOD we find in our Grocery stores! (All GM, of course!). They are the makers of the "FAMOUS" Round Up that I bet most of you use in your gardens and around your yards. Well, I was a "user" too until I found out what that company has been up to!

They are the ones who produce the largest amount of "Genetically Modified" corn (and other seed crops) in the world! The farmers who grow their crops (which I think are either given a DEEP price cut in seed-- or some kind of monetary incintive) are forced to sign a contract stating that the farmer WILL NOT hold back seed from ANY crop and re-plant it the following year. (Now WHY would they insist on that?) Believe me, those farmers ARE monitored by the company and if they ARE found to be re-using seed they are fined HUGE amounts of money!!!

That seed is SUPPOSED to be sterile-- and 100% safe, but it's NOT. How can you "re-use" STERILE seed anyway? It's not supposed to be viable. Unfortunately, it's been found to be VERY viable and it is crossing with "Traditionally" bred plants in nearby fields. The way GM crops work is a living organisim (in this case corn, wheat and soy-- so far!) is "Genetically Altered" the genes from other plants-- and even other SPECIES (think tomatoes with FISH genes!)-- have been spliced into the genetic material of the parent plants. The GM seed is harvested from them. Those seeds become unaturally altered. On the outside they appear to be just fine, but on the inside.... SCARY!!! So Start stocking up on those heirloom seeds ladies! Monsanto is behind the campaign to close the world seed banks to the public! Read the articles about on JL Hudson Seedsman's website-- Pretty scary stuff!

Doctors are also begining to see the affects of GM foods on the human body-- some VERY strange cases and weird disorders have begun cropping up in people-- Symptoms Doctors CANNOT explain (though SCINECE has!) such as Blue threads appearing under the skin of some people (VERY painful they say)-- there is even a name for the conditon that has been documented in over 300,000 cases in the US (and possibly the world) so far. There are also other things that will also come to light very soon. I fear it's only going to get worse....... in the meantime, my husband and I raise a variety of livestock-- Cattle, sheep, Goats, chickens. I have been saving Heirloom and OP seeds for YEARS (now I know WHY!) and we are going to be putting in fruit and nut trees on the property as well. We also grow our own hay. Our goal (and MY dream for many years now) is to make this farm as independently productive as possible! 'Cause you just never know what's going to happen and I REFUSE to lie awake at night worrying about it!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  08:39:32 AM  Show Profile
I just got a press release from WA State dept of Ag and apparently 6 large producer groups met this week with Pres elect Obama and his crew regarding ag issues. R-CALF was one of them. They strongly encouraged a total ban of mandatory NAIS among other things. We'll see what the new administration does and how they respond.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  11:00:32 AM  Show Profile
WOOOOO--HOOOOOO!!!!!!!! No NAIS!!! -- it's nothing but a MONEY SUCKER anyway to benefit a small handful of people-- and ONE HUGE MONSTER!!! --and the good Lord knows we taxpayers are already VERY anemic in the "finances" department! Any more cash sucking and we will all expire! (Even midievil Doctors knew when to pull the leaches before they KILLED the patient!!! D.C. needs to get a clue) Thanks for the update Jami!!! YEAH!!~~~Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  11:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
This is just staggering!! Next we will have to register our pets (dogs and cats I mean) I was just thinking about having chickens. All of this is so Monsanto can control our world! This is so outrageous! Good for WA state, hope more will follow. I don't have a problem seeing Farmgirls on the White House stairs!

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  11:28:46 AM  Show Profile
Didn't mean to confuse you...I just got the press release from Dr. Eldridge, state vet for WA. I get one every day and it has worldwide ag and vet news. R-CALF is the one that met with Pres. elect Obama, not WA state.
But, it's good that ag producer groups are getting their foot in the door with Obama.

What I read was that R-CALF feels that the disease control tracking programs in place already (like the scrapie program for sheep and brucellosis program for cattle) can be tracing tools for any sort of big outbreak as they are already programs in place that use a tagging system and have a traceback system and they are working well as they are. No need to remake the wheel. Commercial producers already are participating in these programs.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  3:49:11 PM  Show Profile
I was driving down the road today at it occured to me...if NAIS actually went into being, what kinda messed-up situation would you have around August when thousands of 4-H kids are leaving their farms with their show animals and they all call the feds at once to report that their animals are on the move....that would make the lights go out at the Ag dept. for sure....lol

I really hope Obama let's us all homestead/live in peace!

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  6:13:32 PM  Show Profile
That's just it, Debbie. They have not thought this thing through. What if that happened? There is no way any organization can handle that many calls at one time. The NAIS issue has been out there for years now and no one really knows how it will work. I do hope Obama gets his hands in the dirt with the "real" farmers in this country. The family farmers who are all about saving a piece of history with the heritage breeds and the heirloom seeds their forefathers used.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  10:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, we have cattle and goats (and chickens, horses, a mule) and we were watching this very closely last year as it was going to be a big expense and we, also, don't like the whole Big Brother thing. But it was defeated and is not mandatory on a National level. I am also so sick of the Feds trying to get money for nothing.

Off subject for a second: did you know that Pres Bush put into affect that after the 1st $500 each fiscal year of child support that changes hands the GOVERNMENT takes out $25 to go to aleviate the national debt??? Yup, it's true. It started on October '07. And that money is already taxed (net pay) before it is sent to the custodial parent.

Anyway, I like Diana's idea, it was funny! And I hope Santa isn't falling for this either!!(also very funny)

We all need to raise our voices to be heard!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Feds have found us! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page