harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  07:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Well, we thought we could hide, but the Dept. Of Ag has sent us the forms to register our farm for the National Animal Identification System....we always said that we would eat our critters before we registered them with the government. We are totally against this plan of action. We think it goes against our fundamental right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.....
What are the rest of you doing about this?
Debbie
and you thought getting that job was causing stress...lol

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  07:45:24 AM  Show Profile
I am sorry, I do not know about the National Animal Identification System, What it is or what that plan is about?

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  07:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I don't know either!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  07:52:35 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to hear. I can only imagine the stress that this causes. I can imagine dealing with the Federal Government is never fun.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  07:53:25 AM  Show Profile
To put it in a nutshell....The Dept. of Agriculture wants to eventually have a way to track every livestock animal there is to be able to determine if there is an outbreak of a certain disease that they will be able to trace the "offender" back to it's original domain. They would do this by requiring farmers to put tags on their ears and register each and every animal or to force us to put microchips into their bodies (at the owner's expense) so they can be traced that way. But first they want you to register your farm.
You really need to google the National Animal Identification System to get more detailed information.
Countryside & Small Stock Journal Magazine had numerous articles written about the implications of this plan going into effect. If you have livestock you really need to get informed. It's way to "Big Brother" for me!

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  08:08:17 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmmm I can see how this could become an issue to livestock that is being sold for human consumption.. I will google for more info...Thanks for your info.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  09:08:26 AM  Show Profile
I found it very amazing that they (us gov) can find a cow with a cold at any given time but that they can not track illegal immigrants maybe they should give each one a cow.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  09:13:54 AM  Show Profile
NOT THAT I AGREE WITH THIS LEGISLATION UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, but I would think, Diana, it's because we don't eat or consume illegal immigrants :)
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  09:26:13 AM  Show Profile
THANK YOU FOR PUTTING SUCH A FUNNY TWIST INTO THIS TOPIC...THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

But, the only people who will benefit from NAIS is Monsanto who makes the tracking devices and large herd owners who only have to register a herd as one unit. We would be required to tag each and every animal. And if one gets sick or you sell it, you have to call the feds to tell them that an animal has died, is being transported for breeding, is going to the butcher etc....We, as livestock owners know instantly when one of our animals is sick and we tend to it. Some ranchers might have a hundred head of cattle die before they detect when something is wrong. No matter how you look at it, it will be the small scale farmers who suffer the most. If you decide not to participate...you could have animals confiscated, eventually property seized (I imagine). You could be "blackballed" at your local feed store and unable to buy feed for your animals...the list goes on and on...please read the information and pass the word along....I love my animals, but I don't love government agencies tell me I have to register them in some database! But if we sell or butcher or animals instead...then the large ranchers and the feds win anyway.....
I know this chatroom and Mary Janes philosophy focuses on balance and harmony and living the good life on our farms and we shouldn't talk politics, but this is too important to ignore and I am amazed how many of you have never even heard of NAIS.

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  09:45:32 AM  Show Profile
Ha! Debbie, I live in the city, but I know the NO NAIS campaign. Hmm...but, wait, I thought that the program was struck down in legislature. It still exists? Wow, not good. I hadn't heard of other farmers (that I know) having to do this with their livestock, so maybe it's just specific to your county? Are you registered a commercial farm? Is this why they are making you register?

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  09:55:44 AM  Show Profile
I've know of of NAIS, and know the controversy over this topic. I have registered our farm with the state and they are cooperating with the feds I am assuming. I have not had anything negative come from it. I do get all of the ag news from the state level now which I like. We raise sheep and for years now there has been a mandatory scrapie eradication program that ALL sheep producers should belong to so guess I'm used to the "big brother" system through that already. When a scrapie trace is found, it is definitely not a fun process but I know of a few cases here in WA state and the government agencies (state and feds) have been understanding and have worked well with producers. I am executive secretary of the WA State Sheep Producers and the only way to keep our industry strong and growing is to ensure the consumer gets a safe product, so although it's a hassle to tag and keep records, it's for the benefit of our industry.

For small farms and other species raised, I don't have much knowledge on the benefits of NAIS, but I do know it's a hot topic. Is this a mandatory thing for you? I thought NAIS was not mandatory due to the response they got from farmers?

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  10:06:53 AM  Show Profile
I think they got our names from a butchering shop near here, or from our tax exempt number or from the local feed store or from our old apiary registration, or the last ag census...who knows. All we have is 35 chickens, two Angora goats and two dogs. We sold the cows last year and put the bull in the freezer. Nothing large scale about that. Right now all they are asking is for us to register our premises and tell them how much livestock we have. I live in Meigs County.

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  10:11:20 AM  Show Profile
I am still not sure if it is mandatory or not...read this article I found. http://www.farmandranchfreedom.org/content/mandatory-voluntary
I did a Google on "is NAIS mandatory?"
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  10:25:22 AM  Show Profile
yep, I think gramadinha hit it on the head....rotfl....

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  11:01:11 AM  Show Profile
Does this only apply to farm animals used for commerce? Or does it also apply to domesticated animals used only for supplying your own family? Or strictly as pets - like pet goats? Is there a difference in that law?

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  11:39:44 AM  Show Profile
I think you can google "NO NAIS" but I think they are trying to track EACH animal. It's kind of creepy, like a sort of terrorist check. I can't imagine what else they'd keep tabs of....big brother definitely would be watching

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  12:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Ok...here's the scoop. I dug out the information I got from the US Dept.of Agriculture. Glad I didn't use it to light the woodstove last week....
Anyway,the application says,
Premises Registration Form...blah, blah, blah...Name, Address, Description of the premises,Species on Premises? Circle all that apply.
Aquaculture,(I'm not tagging the fish in the pond) beef, dairy, bison, llamas, alpacas, horses, donkeys, mules, rheas, ostriches, emu, cassowary,(WHAT?) kiwi, chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, guinea fowl, deer,(we have hundreds of deer roaming our land. we can't even find them during hunting season),elk, moose, caribou, reindeer (how the heck is Santa gonna comply with this?)and don't forget the subfamily musk deer....blah, blah blah...then your signature is required on the form. Nowhere does it say that returning the form is mandatory. If we have any questions, we contact the Ohio Department of Agriculture at pathohio@mail.agri.state.gov or for general info. website at www.ohioanimalid.com.
AND THEN...the envelope included a glossy ad from which you can order your "840 eartags" as your "passport to compliance".....that sends shivers down my spine.....
anyone interested in this topic yet?
What makes this even more ironic is that when I turned over the envelope to stuff all this "stuff" back in I noticed that I had unknowingly written my Thanksgiving grocery shopping list on the back of it.....that's eerie too.....
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  1:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't think it is mandatory yet. I think they are trying to get people to do it voluntarily right now so they can say that it has a lot of popular support.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, I can't stop laughing. First of all, it's already in the tinder pile...then - fish? And chicken ears are hard to find...But poor Santa...that's when I lost it. I guess I'm easily amused.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  2:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Debbie,
We have been watching this in our state too. But it sounds like Ohio is ahead of the curve a little. I would check to see if you actually have to hand that in or if they are just trying to make you think you do.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  3:34:39 PM  Show Profile
The USDA is behind the "Voluntary" NAIS program. It's all about MONEY and it's all about power and intimidation. Europe has had a system such as the NIAS program for years which has proven to be a total DISASTER and has put MANY small family farms out of business. THOUSANDS of animals were slaughtered BEFORE the testing came back from the labs during the "hoof and mouth" scare a few years ago (no diseases were detected-- except for the isolated incident on one farm which started the whole fiasco-- but by then it was too late.) Those people lost their livelihoods and all that those responsible for their loss had to say was "Oops, guess we made a mistake!"

The program is currently considered "VOLUNTARY" in most US states. Though some states DID decide to make it a MANDATORY law-- with the promise of some big $$$ from the feds--- but when the public got wind of the TRUTH behind the whole NIAS "scam" there were a lot of questions being asked that the USDA and NIAS backers refused to answer. Aslo, small livestock producers who did not even volunteer for the program were finding THEIR farms registered in the system and when they asked to be removed from that list, they were told they could NOT be. Some of those names listed were even 4-H children who (in most states-- if not all) cannot even LEGALLY be bound to any contract if they are under the age of 18!!! This drew a lot of attention to the TRUE motive behind the program and opened up some SERIOUS lawsuits by those who were denied removal of their farms from the program.

For now the USDA HAS agreed to keep the program "VOLUNTARY" (in most, if not ALL states) but there is one thing you ladies should know-- whenever you sign ANYTHING sent to you by a Government agency that is "Voluntary" (or even MANDATORY) -- you AUTOMATICALLY give up your Constitutional rights (I will have to look up the EXACT ones to be certain-- I think the 14th ammendment is one of them) I found out somehow that if you sign your name to a VOLUNTARY Gov't document that, in order to NOT give up those rights, you MUST also write "WITHOUT PREJUDICE" as closely to your signature as possible (so the document can't be so easily altered-- and KEEP A COPY before you return it!!!). That way you are agreeing to the terms of the "Voluntary"-- whatever-it-is -- but you are REFUSING to give up your constitutional rights as an American Citizen. Ah... one of the sneaky ways the people are so easily duped.....

One thing I found interesting was the fact that it took the federal Government nearly a WEEK to track down the Canadian herd that the cow who tested POSITIVE for "Mad Cow" disease a couple of years ago came from -- but it took the breed REGISTRY less than 72hrs to find out the same information. Isn't that what the Livestock REGISTRIES are for? To keep track of breeders and animal health and quality? Hmmm....

Also, for you ladies who LOVE to go riding-- well, if the horse is YOURS, that horse will ALSO have to be chipped and registered with the program should it become a mandatory thing -- (which I DOUBT due to the Economy-- there will be NO funding for it, unless Monsanto wants to open up it's coffers and fund the program on it's OWN!)-- You will have to contact the Federal Government within 24hrs EACH AND EVERY time you want to take a liesurely ride and your horse comes into contact with ANY OTHER farm animals along the way-- which is EVERYWHERE in the Country!!! Don't be fooled ladies-- it's time to stand up and take back our rights as American Citizens! ~~Hugs~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  3:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Interesting Topic!! I havent even made up my mind about tagging my pet goats with the USDA tag yet, so they can show at 4-H. And now I have to decide about NAIS? I think I'll hide in the woods until the Feds find me too.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  4:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Lorraine, thanks for bringing this up. More people need to be aware of this. Even those of you who don't have your own animals but buy meat from a small farmer trying to support their family, ya'll need to see what is happening.

I have been hearing about this for several years now. The last thing I did hear is that by the end of 2009 they will be making this mandatory for everyone who has animals on their property. Unless that's changed.

We had an incident last year here. It was in Jan. About 7:00 am the phone rang. It was the Dept. of Ag. in Atlanta. They wanted to know how many chickens, ducks, turkey, and guineas we had on our place. I said why? He said there was a concern that the chicken house across the road from us might have contracted the avian bird flu and they wanted to come test all my birds. They came the next day. They were mainly interested in the 4 white ducks I had in the other garden apart from all the other birds. They kept asking if they flew or got out or were there wild ducks around us. They tested all 4 of the ducks and 1 turkey, 4 hens and we couldn't catch the guineas so they didn't do them. They were really after the ducks b/c that's where the avian flu comes from is wild birds and ducks.

Anyway, my birds were all healthy, no problems there. But come to find out, the guy with all the chicken houses across the street called a few days later to apoligize and said the inspectors wanted all the names of anyone within 5 miles of them who had birds. They had done their random chicken testing and drew blood from several of his chickens and had made a mistake in the lab. It was their mistake. And when they test those chickens, they pull blood from the heart. So those birds are killed. when they tested mine, they drew blood from under their wings.

I made them send me a written form stating that my birds were healthy and did not pose a threat to anyone or anything. I have not had any more calls or letters from anyone since.

I keep waiting for something like this to happen to us, though. I've been told you can refuse for religious purposes.

Sorry this is so long, but this is another subject that makes my blood boil, too. All because Monsanto doesn't have control of everyone yet. They're trying their darndest, though.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  5:38:23 PM  Show Profile
My Daughter and SIL are against this also. they live on a very, very large ranch and have been too many meetings with government people about this. I don't know their outcome. Maybe I will call her tonight. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  6:27:19 PM  Show Profile
This is CREEPY. Tracy, I agree with you totally....I just can hardly figure out HOW to take back our rights...because we don't even have the right to protest our rights!!!! The fact is, we've already lost our freedoms. Sound like communism to anybody?
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  7:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, I agree, it's great that you brought this here because it may soon affect everyone. I think you need to double check if this is voluntary and, obviously if it is, you can put the application back in the tinder box :D

BUT, I also think we need to be more proactive about this because I don't think this is going to go away quietly.

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Feds have found us! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page