CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  07:45:33 AM  Show Profile
let's see how many 'farmgirl' recipes we can all come up with for that traditional drink of the holiday season: EGG NOG

don't know how healthy this one is for you .. LOTS of 'sugar' and 'eggs' ... (hmm .. but then .. isn't that what EGG NOG is???)

being as i live in kentucky .. Bourbon capital of the world .. a friend sent this one along to me .. and i thought i'd share it.

would LOVE one that wasn't quite so sugary though ... Maryjane .. do you have a good recipe for egg nog that won't throw us into cardiac arrest?

Maker's Mark Bourbon Eggnog

telephone (for dialing 911 moments
after you've had too much of this!)
1 Liter Maker's Mark
1 Quart milk
1 Quart heavy cream
2 Dozen eggs
1 1/2 Cups sugar
Nutmeg for garnish

Separate eggs and beat the yolks until creamy. Whip sugar into the yolks, then bat the whites until they stand in peaks, adding a 1/2 cup of additional sugar if desired. Beat the yolks and Maker's Mark together and add the whites. Beat cream into a froth, then add milk and cream to the egg mixture. Add nutmeg to taste and garnish each cup with a dash of nutmeg for a dash of color. The recipe makes 2 1/2 gallons and is fun to give away in mason jars to those lucky folks on your shopping list! This will last for months. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  04:48:38 AM  Show Profile
Hey Frannie, have you tried Whiskgogs? Fill a glass half full of eggnog, add coke to 3/4 and then add whisky to taste, they are good! :) Another yummy way to use eggnog is my families favorite, eggnog pie, then there's eggnog bread and eggnog fudge! Oh my, who can think about dieting this time of year?

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  05:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I put eggnog in my coffee. Otherwise I either have it plain, or put in some whisky or even Kahlua. Or both
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  05:48:43 AM  Show Profile
sue ... pleeeeeeeze post post those family recipes for eggnog pie, bread and fudge!
eggnog and COKE??? ewwwwwwwwww! (but i WILL try it .. at least once!)

and .. lynn .. eggnog in coffee sounds GREAT cuz' i like lotsa' 'cream' in my coffee!

i saw this Eggnog Custard Cheesecake in one of my christmas books yesterday:

Eggnog Custard Cheesecake (makes 8 servings) or 4 'piggie-size' ones!

Vanilla Wafer Cust:
1 cup crushed regular or reduced-fat vanilla wafers (25 wafers)
1/4 teaspooon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup (1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened

Filling:
1 8-ounce packages Neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese), softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons light rum or 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1-1/2 cups refrigerated eggnog
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
sweetened whipped cream (optional)
freshly grated nugmet (optional)

1. Prepare Vanilla Wafer Crust: Heave oven to 325 degrees. Process wafera crumbs, nutmeg, and butter in a food processor until well blended. Press onto the bottom of a greased 8-inch springform pan or cake pan with removable bottom. Bake 10 minutes and cool on wire rack.

2. Prepare Filling: In a heavy-duty electric mixer with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese until soft and pliable .. about 3 minutes. Add sugar and beat another minute. Beat in cornstarch and eggs, one at a time, beating only until eggs are incorporated. Stir in rum, salt, and sour cream until thoroughly blended. Stir in eggnog and nutmeg. Pour batter into prepared springform pan.

3. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until almost set (center will still jiggle slightly but will firm up upon cooling). Turn off oven, open oven door slightly, and let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven. Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Cover and refigerate until cold -- several hours or overnight. When ready to serve, run a knife around edge of cake. Remove sides of springform pan and place cheesecake on a serving platter. Garnish with whipped cream and nutmeg, if desired.

oh yummmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

farmgirls .. run for those cookbooks and give us YOUR favorite egg nog recipe! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  12:22:04 PM  Show Profile
Just for you Frannie, enjoy!

Eggnog Fudge
1/8 c. butter
3 c. sugar
1 c. eggnog
6 oz. white chocolate chips
1 1/2 c. mini marshmallows
1 c. almonds, chopped
1/2 t. nutmeg and cinnamon
Line a 9x9 cake pan with aluminum foil and set aside. Spray sides of a large saucepan with butter flavored non stick spray. Add eggnog and sugar, bring to a rolling boil over med. heat, stirring. Boil for 2 mins. Fold in marshmallows, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring back to a rolling boil for 6 min., stirring. The mixture will turn brown ( normal ) but if you see brown flakes turn down heat. Remove from heat add butter, chips and nuts. Still till mixed. Pour into prepared pan. Cool at room temp. Cut.

Eggnog bread
3 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/4 c. butter, melted
3/4 c. walnuts, chopped
1 egg
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 1/2 c. eggnog
3/4 c. cherries, chopped
Sift dry ingredients together including sugar. Combine eggnog, butter and egg. Stir into dry ingredients to blend. Add nuts and fruit. Place mixture into a greased 9 in. loaf pan. Bake at 350 for one hour or till done. Cool before slicing.

Eggnog Pie
1 quart eggnog
1 lg. box vanilla pudding, instant
1 small box vanilla pudding, instant
nutmeg to taste
1 T. vanilla
2 graham cracker pie crusts
Mix all ingredients together with a mixer and pour into pie crusts, refridgerate for 2 hours or overnight.

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Egg Nog Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page